Dr. Paul Yau, MD

Dr. Paul Yau, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Paul Yau, board certified physician, received his fellowship training in joint replacement and adult reconstructive surgery from the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, MO. He currently serves as the chair of the orthopedic department at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center and coordinates the hip fracture and joint replacement service. His specialty practice keeps him current with the latest surgical techniques and advances in orthopedic care including hip arthroscopy and anterior hip replacement. Dr. Yau is dedicated to providing the highest level of comprehensive patient care – from diagnosis through recovery – making it a comfortable experience for both patients and their families. Professional associations include membership in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, and Arthroscopy Association of North America. ORTHOPAEDIC SPECIALTY • Minimally Invasive Surgery • Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Techniques • Arthroscopy and Joint Preservation Surgery HIP SURGERY • Anterior Hip Replacement • Hip Resurfacing • Revision Surgery • Hip Arthroscopy - FAI, Labral Repair • Hip Preservation - Labral Reconstruction, Cartilage Restoration KNEE SURGERY • Quadriceps Sparing Knee Replacement • Revision Surgery • Knee Arthroscopy - Meniscal Repair • Knee Preservation - Ligament Reconstruction, Cartilage Restoration Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics offers nine locations to better serve you in Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Lenoir City, Crossville, and Sevierville in East Tennessee.

1819 W Clinch Ave Ste 100

Knoxville, TN 37916

• Cigna-HealthSpring
  • CorVel
  • Medicare

Learn about Dr. Yau

See how frequently Dr. Yau performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Joint Pain
Hip Sprain
Knee Disorders

Dr. Yau's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Yau "Allison Hixson, NP and Paul Yau, MD aim to provide comprehensive orthopaedic care for hip and knee conditions to keep people active. We offer the full spectrum of options from strategies to preserve the native joint (supplements, braces, medicines, injections, arthroscopy and joint preservation procedures) extending to complete reconstruction via minimally invasive surgical techniques and modern rapid recovery protocols (including partial knee replacement, quadriceps sparing total knee arthroplasty and direct anterior hip replacement)."

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injuries
  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Hip Sprain
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Meniscus Tear

• Partial Knee Replacement
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Separated Femoral Epiphysis Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• University Of Alberta Faculty Of Medicine and Dentistry
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • University Of Illinois At Chicago
  • Washington University School Of Medicine / Barnes-Jewish Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Yau has no media or publications listed.

• International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Member

Dr. Yau's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Yau to family and friends
Dr. Yau's Performance
Knoxville, TN |
I've never had surgery before and just recently had to have the labrum repaired in my hip. Dr. Yau was fantastic! He laid out all of my options and throughly explained the processes to me. His down-to-earth, friendly demeanor put me at ease the day of the surgery. I just had my post-op appointment and left feeling very well taken care of! I would highly recommend him to anyone needing an orthopedic surgeon.
Johnson City, TN |
Dr. Yau performed an anterior hip replacement over a year ago for me. I recently went for my first year check up. He did an excellent job caring for me from the first visit through surgery and my recent check up. His abilities in all areas are unquestionably excellent. I would highly recommend him for hip replacement surgery!
Madisonville, TN |
Great experience with Dr Yau. Always makes me feel that he cares about what is going on with my aches and pains. Couldn’t ask for a better doctor.
in Knoxville, TN |
First off, I have had both hips operated on with Dr. Yau. My mom has had both hips as well and my brother has had one hip, and is getting his second in the future. We unfortunately have heridatary hip issues. We all trusted Dr. Yau as our surgeon. He is very friendly and will put you at ease. He is very knowledgeable and explains things in a easy-to-understand way. He will answer any and all questions that you have. He is highly recommended by my entire family!
Norris, Tennessee |
Dr. Yau perform my knee replacement in August and I had to have a ligament replacement also and I am so glad that Dr. Yau was my surgeon. I have had an excellent recovery and am getting ready to have him do a total hip replacement in December. I would highly recommend him for any surgery!!!!
in Knoxville, TN |
I wish I could put into words my gratitude for Dr. Yau. He has helped me through a total hip replacement and total knee replacement (same side) in less than 12 months. I now have a FREEDOM that I have not felt in years. To say I am elated is an understatement! Dr. Yau took the time to answer my questions and helped alleviate my concerns about the procedures. He is a surgeon of great skill and true compassion.
Knoxville, TN |
Dr Yau is an excellent surgeon. He is compassionate and well educated in his field. He performed a hip replacement revision on my left hip. His staff at his office are very caring and efficient. I was treated like royalty by the nurses and techs prior to my surgery. Dr Yau explained about my surgery, what was causing my problems and how he intended to repair them. I would highly tecomm be him.
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Paul F. Yau, M.D.. We're happy we could meet your expectations!
Lenoir City, TN |
I have been so impressed with his care and compassion. The way that he called the night before the surgery and his personal follow up after the surgery has been very uplifting and encouraging
Hi, thank you so much for your high rating!
in Oak Ridge |
By far, the best doctor I'v ever had.
Hello Dan Lewis, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us this feedback.
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau was personable and gave me direct answers to my questions. When I awoke after surgery, my pain was only maybe 3/10. After waiting my turn for the P.T. I did several laps around the unit, passed my tests for getting in and out of a car and shower, and I was back home within 12 hours of when I had arrived that morning. While my hip felt sore and bruised, it did not hurt to walk. I stopped using the walker after 3 days, and the meds soon after. I returned to work less than two weeks later.
Keith Hulse, we really appreciate your positive review!
in Knoxville, TN |
I was in direr need of a doctor and had no clue who to call upon. I began to ask around town, and Dr. Yau was recommended to me by many many people. His excellence, brilliance, and professionalism exceeded everything I initially heard about him. I can now recommend him personally. I have one hip replacement, only 5 months out of surgery, and I feel 20 years younger with no pain. I'm now scheduled to have my other hip replaced. I can't wait! To simply put it...HE IS THE BEST IN HIS FIELD."
Sonja Jade Krauss, we are so happy to read such a great review about Paul F. Yau, M.D.!
in Knoxville, TN |
Labral tear repair and bone cam impingement patient....Dr. Yau has an incredible bedside manner. I was confident in his decisions and appreciated that he laid out all my options before suggesting surgery. He explained well what was wrong with my hip and why surgery was the best option (after trying other measures). I have no regrets and will see him again if I ever have any other orthopedic needs. His nurse, Stacy, is fantastic, too!!
Lauren M, we're glad you had such a wonderful experience with us!
in Knoxville, TN |
After several years of left hip pain, Dr. Yau discovered a massive labrum tear and preformed an anterior THR. The experience was smoother than I could imagine. I was walking with an assisted device the day of surgery with little pain & few restrictions, a couple of weeks later I was strolling the neighborhood, and now I'm at week 12 with no restrictions...yoga & jogging! Dr. Yau and his staff are extremely informative, friendly, empathetic, available & professional...the BEST!
Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau brings a skill level of minimally invasive surgery that no one else can offer in East TN. He has the highest volume of hip scopes and anterior total hip replacements along with the most advanced instruments of anyone in this area. I would recommend him (and actually I do) to all of my family and friends.
Hi there, your satisfaction is our top priority. Thanks again for the recommendation, and have an amazing day!
I have and do recommend Dr Yau
in Knoxville, TN |
I would recommend Dr. Yau to anyone having hip issues. His understanding and training of complex hip conditions and hip impingement/labral tears is unparalleled. I could not have asked for a better experience starting with my diagnosis, to surgery, and post operative protocol and care. I feel amazing and am healing better than I could have ever expected. Many thanks to Dr. Yau!!
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau is THE best. He knows more about hips than any other dr & catches details that many missed with my x-rays and MRI's. He is very personable and willing to take his time to talk with each patient, he broke down the pamphlet that he created to show exactly what was going on and how he's going to fix me. After surgery he followed up with a phone call making sure that I felt great, which I did! My hip has not felt better in years, he helped me in more ways than I can even explain.
Hi Lindsey Brackens, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Paul F. Yau, M.D.. We're happy we could meet your expectations!
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau understands the science and art of healthcare... he truly believes " people don't care what you know until people know you care" and applies this to his overall approach to his practice... I recommend him highly...
Atlanta, GA |
Very disrespectful towards patients after surgery. Unwilling to listen to concerns. However, performed the surgery well.
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau was personable and answered all of our questions. He did an excellent job on my hip replacement. He called the day before surgery (which really helped to ease my mind). He called when I got home from the hospital, and then a week later! This was something no other physician has done!
Iris Esch-williams, thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review!
Seymour, TN |
Dr. Yau is very professional, instructive, and patient. I am planning to have knee replacement surgery in the very near future and have the utmost confidence in Dr. Yau to provide the best care possible for me before, during, and after the procedure. His staff is encouraging, friendly, and provides an environment void of the stress that may coincide with a visit to the doctor. At this stage, I heartily recommend Dr. Yau to anyone needing orthopedic care.
Hi, we're happy you found our staff to be so supportive during your experience here at Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics! Thanks again for the recommendation, and have an amazing day!
Knoxville, TN |
I would recommend Dr. Yau to anyone needing surgery for a torn hip labrum. He was great at explaining the procedure and answering all of my questions but more importantly , his skill during the procedure led to a strong recovery with minimal discomfort . I was able to run and place 2nd in my age group for a 5k race 14 weeks after my surgery. He is the best!
in Knoxville TN |
Dr Yau is a patient focused doctor who does what is right for the patient. His "bed side" manner is great, he takes time to ask/answer questions .
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau changed my life - I found myself needing a total hip replacement at age 31 and thought I had lost my health and well-being. He restored my hip, produced an excellent surgical outcome, and restored my livelihood. Throughout the whole process, from my initial visit through my one year follow-up to surgery, he has been extremely professional, personable, and genuinely invested in my recovery, even calling my cell to check-in. I highly recommend Dr. Yau to anyone needing orthopedic care.
in Sevierville, TN |
Best Orthopedic Doctor In the state. Could not find a better Doctor.
Maryville, TN |
Dr. Yau did a knee replacement for me. I am very pleased with my care.
in clinton, tn |
Dr. Yau has the right combination of technical/medical knowledge/expertise & of a bedside manner that lets you know that he really cares about his patients. I had partial knee replacement surgery and have been impressed with his ability to offer me options before we chose surgery and explain the options in language I can understand. He calls you before surgery to ask how you are doing and if you are nervous. After-he checks to review progress. He is the best!
in Kingston, TN |
Dr. Yau performed a total hip replacement on me on Dec 7, 2016. I have made excellent progress since the surgery and had a great experience. Dr. Yau is very caring, professional and highly respected by the nursing staff that I encountered during my hospital stay. He made sure that I was comfortable and he patiently answered all my questions and concerns. I would highly recommend Dr. Yea to my family or friends for any of their orthopedic needs or surgery. Awesome experience Dr. Yau!
in Louisville, TN |
I am 69 and was referred to Dr. Yau by a friend for knee replacement surgery. I was impressed from the moment that I met him and I highly recommend Dr. Yau if you are considering knee surgery. I ended up having a partial on my right knee and was able to function within 2 weeks of the surgery. I consider Dr. Yau to be one of the best doctors that I have ever had. He even called me the night before surgery to inquire how I was doing. His expertise in his field is obvious and I highly recommend him
in Athens, TN |
I love Dr. Yau!!! He helped me when no other DR. could! I had a total Hip replacement Nov. 18th. 2016. I woke up with NO pain for the first time in years!!! He is very professional and friendly, He will take the time to explain everything to you. He will ultimately do what is best for you! I highly Highly recommend him. I wouldn't use anyone else for my hip! I absolutely love him!!!
in Knoxville, TN |
I wish I had more space to describe why I chose Dr. Yau/anterior method of hip replacement and how it allowed me to be pain and limp free! Dr. Yau's expertise was evident, but as masterful and brilliant as he is, he took the time needed to explain simply all about the surgery and details. In a nutshell, deciding to go with Dr. Yau and the anterior approach rather than the other dr. and posterior was life changing. I was walking SO comfortably in SUCH a short time period! Dr. Yau is THE BEST!
in Dandridge , Tn. |
I would recommend Dr. Yau because he has done both hips and both knees and it has helped me.
in Knoxville, TN |
I cant say enough about Dr. Yau and his staff. They are caring, personable, professional and just a breath of fresh air.
Thank you for your review!
in Knoxville, TN |
After increasingly severe chronic hip pain for over 3 years, I selected Dr. Yau after several recommendations and reading about his proven, effective procedures. When I met him, I was pleasantly surprised by his upbeat humor and optimistic prognosis. His prep staff and assistants were the best and friendliest team possible, and the hip replacement operation was without incident. The hip pain was gone and after recuperation at home and 3 weeks of physical therapy I returned to work full time.
Thank you very much for sharing these comments!
in Knoxville TN |
By far the best doctor I've ever seen. His bedside manner is fantastic. His knowledge is impressive. Would refer him to anyone.
Wonderful to hear! Thank you for leaving your feedback!
in Loudon, TN |
I contacted Dr. Yau to have a second opinion on a hip replacement procedure based on a recommendation of one of his previous patients. I was pleased, in spite of his busy practice, that he was willing to give me all the time I needed for questions and explanations, I am nearly a month out from my procedure and progressing amazingly well. I am very happy with Dr. Yau and his professional and personable nature. He will certainly be my first choice if I need another hip or a knee replacement.
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau was very patient oriented, excellent bedside manner, and very knowledgeable. He was willing to take the time to answer my questions.
in Friendsville, tn |
My sports medicine/chiropractor recommend Dr Yau for hip replacement based on his patients excellent recovery stories. I chose an insurance based on Dr. Yau being in that network and so thankful that I did. I stayed overnight in the hospital and walked immediately using a walker for less than one week, used a cane minimally, drove my car on 9th day, and did physical therapy for one month. Dr Yau has a great personality and even teaches the new technology. Go for it! I'm pain free!
in knoxville, tn |
He is the acknowledged anterior expert in our region and I got an excellent outcome performed by a top notch surgical team. Extremely positive experience and would very much recommend Dr. Yau to others.
in Knoxville, TN |
I had hip replacement surgery preformed by Dr. Yau. I was walking with a walker a few hours after surgery and doing physical therapy the next day. My hip replacement was practically pain free and I had to take only a few muscle relaxers. I would highly recommend Dr. Yau to anyone with hip or knee problems. I have found Dr. Yau to be compassionate and attentive to my needs.
Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau performed hip surgery for 2 tears of the labrum. I play D1 college soccer, and was playing with this injury, since my college trainers diagnosed "shin splints". I heard about Dr. Yau and consulted him, since my pain would not go away. He diagnosed my problem correctly, and performed my surgery, giving me a full explanation of recovery and return to soccer. 1 Post-op issue was promptly diagnosed and treated by Dr. Yau, which resulted in an accelerated and stronger recovery!
in Knoxville, TN |
My experience with Dr. Yau was nothing but positive. During the duration of obtaining a diagnosis and recommend a treatment plan (which for me required outpatient orthopedic surgery), he clearly explained everything to me. He also took the time to actually show me in detail my test results. Surgery was successful and during each follow up appointment, he took the time to be sure I was recovering without issue. I'd highly recommend him as an experienced surgeon with a caring personality.
Thanks Dr. Yau
in Loudon, TN |
Dr. Yau is very personable and treats you as his only patient. He called me the night before my knee surgery and has called me twice since the surgery. Very informative about my knee and how to have the best results with the therapy.
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau came highly recommended to me by my physical therapist. He did my knee replacement on July 6th and I'm having a great recovery. He was very thorough in explaining what to expect. He has an excellent reputation of successful surgeries with quick recovery, minimal complications afterward and little infection. He has excellent bedside manner and makes you feel very comfortable. He is a very humble man! I'm thankful God lead me to this amazing surgeon!
in Knoxville ,Tn |
I had a partial knee replacement in July. Dr. Yau did a fantastic job. He explained the procedure and I felt very comfortable going into surgery.
Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau is so easy to talk to and explains things so you can understand the procedure he is going to do. I attended a joint camp he offered and got a lot of good information about knee and hip replacement and several people spoke of their experience before and after surgery. Lots of questions were answered. I didn't need a total knee replacement and was glad that he offered a partial knee replacement which is what I had.
in Loudon, TN |
I have had 2 hip replacements(anterior) & a partial knee replacement done by Dr.Yau over the last year & a half. He is a wonderful doctor. He takes time & listens to & answers all your questions & doesn't rush you. The incisions on my hips pretty well match each other as well. I recommend him to everyone I hear that has knee or hip problems. If he feels your problem can be solved without surgery, he will tell you.
in Seymour, TN |
Dr. Yau is the most comprehensive and caring physician I have ever known. He gave me my hips back... I had both hips replaced...so I could return to my active lifesyte.
in Loudon, TN |
Dr. Yau is wonderfully compassionate! For me it was hip surgery. Dr. Yau specializes in the anterior approach. Overnight in the hospital, walking with a walker the day after surgery. Used a cane for the next 10 days, light golfing in 3 weeks, 18 holes after 4 weeks, 3 mile walk (flat), and then hills and hikes after 5 weeks. The entire experience, Dr. Yau, hip school, physical therapy, Ft Sanders Regional Hospital was terrific.
Have you seen Dr. Paul Yau, MD?

Visit Dr. Yau