Dr. Paul Yau, MD

Dr. Paul Yau, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics 1819 W Clinch Ave Ste 100 Knoxville, TN 37916 Get Directions

Allison Hixson, NP and Paul Yau, MD aim to provide comprehensive orthopaedic care for hip and knee conditions to keep people active. We offer the full spectrum of options from strategies to preserve the native joint (supplements, braces, medicines, injections, arthroscopy and joint preservation procedures) extending to complete reconstruction via minimally invasive surgical techniques and modern rapid recovery protocols (including partial knee replacement, quadriceps sparing total knee arthroplasty and direct anterior hip replacement).

Dr. Paul Yau, board certified physician, received his fellowship training in joint replacement and adult reconstructive surgery from the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, MO. He currently serves as the chair of the orthopedic department at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center and coordinates the hip fracture and joint replacement service. His specialty practice keeps him current with the latest surgical techniques and advances in orthopedic care including hip arthroscopy and anterior hip replacement.

Dr. Yau is dedicated to providing the highest level of comprehensive patient care – from diagnosis through recovery – making it a comfortable experience for both patients and their families.

Professional associations include membership in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, and Arthroscopy Association of North America.

ORTHOPAEDIC SPECIALTY • Minimally Invasive Surgery • Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Techniques • Arthroscopy and Joint Preservation Surgery

HIP SURGERY • Anterior Hip Replacement • Hip Resurfacing • Revision Surgery • Hip Arthroscopy - FAI, Labral Repair • Hip Preservation - Labral Reconstruction, Cartilage Restoration

KNEE SURGERY • Quadriceps Sparing Knee Replacement • Revision Surgery • Knee Arthroscopy - Meniscal Repair • Knee Preservation - Ligament Reconstruction, Cartilage Restoration

Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics offers nine locations to better serve you in Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Lenoir City, Crossville, and Sevierville in East Tennessee.

Dr. Yau's Experience

See how Dr. Yau's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Yau

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Yau has admitting privileges.

Dr. Yau's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Yau to family and friends
Dr. Yau's Performance
Seymour, TN |
Dr. Yau is very professional, instructive, and patient. I am planning to have knee replacement surgery in the very near future and have the utmost confidence in Dr. Yau to provide the best care possible for me before, during, and after the procedure. His staff is encouraging, friendly, and provides an environment void of the stress that may coincide with a visit to the doctor. At this stage, I heartily recommend Dr. Yau to anyone needing orthopedic care.
Knoxville, TN |
I would recommend Dr. Yau to anyone needing surgery for a torn hip labrum. He was great at explaining the procedure and answering all of my questions but more importantly , his skill during the procedure led to a strong recovery with minimal discomfort . I was able to run and place 2nd in my age group for a 5k race 14 weeks after my surgery. He is the best!
in Knoxville TN |
Dr Yau is a patient focused doctor who does what is right for the patient. His "bed side" manner is great, he takes time to ask/answer questions .
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau changed my life - I found myself needing a total hip replacement at age 31 and thought I had lost my health and well-being. He restored my hip, produced an excellent surgical outcome, and restored my livelihood. Throughout the whole process, from my initial visit through my one year follow-up to surgery, he has been extremely professional, personable, and genuinely invested in my recovery, even calling my cell to check-in. I highly recommend Dr. Yau to anyone needing orthopedic care.
in Sevierville, TN |
Best Orthopedic Doctor In the state. Could not find a better Doctor.
Maryville, TN |
Dr. Yau did a knee replacement for me. I am very pleased with my care.
in clinton, tn |
Dr. Yau has the right combination of technical/medical knowledge/expertise & of a bedside manner that lets you know that he really cares about his patients. I had partial knee replacement surgery and have been impressed with his ability to offer me options before we chose surgery and explain the options in language I can understand. He calls you before surgery to ask how you are doing and if you are nervous. After-he checks to review progress. He is the best!
in Kingston, TN |
Dr. Yau performed a total hip replacement on me on Dec 7, 2016. I have made excellent progress since the surgery and had a great experience. Dr. Yau is very caring, professional and highly respected by the nursing staff that I encountered during my hospital stay. He made sure that I was comfortable and he patiently answered all my questions and concerns. I would highly recommend Dr. Yea to my family or friends for any of their orthopedic needs or surgery. Awesome experience Dr. Yau!
in Louisville, TN |
I am 69 and was referred to Dr. Yau by a friend for knee replacement surgery. I was impressed from the moment that I met him and I highly recommend Dr. Yau if you are considering knee surgery. I ended up having a partial on my right knee and was able to function within 2 weeks of the surgery. I consider Dr. Yau to be one of the best doctors that I have ever had. He even called me the night before surgery to inquire how I was doing. His expertise in his field is obvious and I highly recommend him
in Athens, TN |
I love Dr. Yau!!! He helped me when no other DR. could! I had a total Hip replacement Nov. 18th. 2016. I woke up with NO pain for the first time in years!!! He is very professional and friendly, He will take the time to explain everything to you. He will ultimately do what is best for you! I highly Highly recommend him. I wouldn't use anyone else for my hip! I absolutely love him!!!
in Knoxville, TN |
I wish I had more space to describe why I chose Dr. Yau/anterior method of hip replacement and how it allowed me to be pain and limp free! Dr. Yau's expertise was evident, but as masterful and brilliant as he is, he took the time needed to explain simply all about the surgery and details. In a nutshell, deciding to go with Dr. Yau and the anterior approach rather than the other dr. and posterior was life changing. I was walking SO comfortably in SUCH a short time period! Dr. Yau is THE BEST!
in Dandridge , Tn. |
I would recommend Dr. Yau because he has done both hips and both knees and it has helped me.
in Knoxville, TN |
I cant say enough about Dr. Yau and his staff. They are caring, personable, professional and just a breath of fresh air.
Thank you for your review!
in Knoxville, TN |
After increasingly severe chronic hip pain for over 3 years, I selected Dr. Yau after several recommendations and reading about his proven, effective procedures. When I met him, I was pleasantly surprised by his upbeat humor and optimistic prognosis. His prep staff and assistants were the best and friendliest team possible, and the hip replacement operation was without incident. The hip pain was gone and after recuperation at home and 3 weeks of physical therapy I returned to work full time.
Thank you very much for sharing these comments!
in Knoxville TN |
By far the best doctor I've ever seen. His bedside manner is fantastic. His knowledge is impressive. Would refer him to anyone.
Wonderful to hear! Thank you for leaving your feedback!
in Loudon, TN |
I contacted Dr. Yau to have a second opinion on a hip replacement procedure based on a recommendation of one of his previous patients. I was pleased, in spite of his busy practice, that he was willing to give me all the time I needed for questions and explanations, I am nearly a month out from my procedure and progressing amazingly well. I am very happy with Dr. Yau and his professional and personable nature. He will certainly be my first choice if I need another hip or a knee replacement.
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau was very patient oriented, excellent bedside manner, and very knowledgeable. He was willing to take the time to answer my questions.
in Friendsville, tn |
My sports medicine/chiropractor recommend Dr Yau for hip replacement based on his patients excellent recovery stories. I chose an insurance based on Dr. Yau being in that network and so thankful that I did. I stayed overnight in the hospital and walked immediately using a walker for less than one week, used a cane minimally, drove my car on 9th day, and did physical therapy for one month. Dr Yau has a great personality and even teaches the new technology. Go for it! I'm pain free!
in knoxville, tn |
He is the acknowledged anterior expert in our region and I got an excellent outcome performed by a top notch surgical team. Extremely positive experience and would very much recommend Dr. Yau to others.
in Knoxville, TN |
I had hip replacement surgery preformed by Dr. Yau. I was walking with a walker a few hours after surgery and doing physical therapy the next day. My hip replacement was practically pain free and I had to take only a few muscle relaxers. I would highly recommend Dr. Yau to anyone with hip or knee problems. I have found Dr. Yau to be compassionate and attentive to my needs.
Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau performed hip surgery for 2 tears of the labrum. I play D1 college soccer, and was playing with this injury, since my college trainers diagnosed "shin splints". I heard about Dr. Yau and consulted him, since my pain would not go away. He diagnosed my problem correctly, and performed my surgery, giving me a full explanation of recovery and return to soccer. 1 Post-op issue was promptly diagnosed and treated by Dr. Yau, which resulted in an accelerated and stronger recovery!
in Knoxville, TN |
My experience with Dr. Yau was nothing but positive. During the duration of obtaining a diagnosis and recommend a treatment plan (which for me required outpatient orthopedic surgery), he clearly explained everything to me. He also took the time to actually show me in detail my test results. Surgery was successful and during each follow up appointment, he took the time to be sure I was recovering without issue. I'd highly recommend him as an experienced surgeon with a caring personality.
Thanks Dr. Yau
in Loudon, TN |
Dr. Yau is very personable and treats you as his only patient. He called me the night before my knee surgery and has called me twice since the surgery. Very informative about my knee and how to have the best results with the therapy.
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau came highly recommended to me by my physical therapist. He did my knee replacement on July 6th and I'm having a great recovery. He was very thorough in explaining what to expect. He has an excellent reputation of successful surgeries with quick recovery, minimal complications afterward and little infection. He has excellent bedside manner and makes you feel very comfortable. He is a very humble man! I'm thankful God lead me to this amazing surgeon!
in Knoxville ,Tn |
I had a partial knee replacement in July. Dr. Yau did a fantastic job. He explained the procedure and I felt very comfortable going into surgery.
Knoxville, TN |
Dr. Yau is so easy to talk to and explains things so you can understand the procedure he is going to do. I attended a joint camp he offered and got a lot of good information about knee and hip replacement and several people spoke of their experience before and after surgery. Lots of questions were answered. I didn't need a total knee replacement and was glad that he offered a partial knee replacement which is what I had.
in Loudon, TN |
I have had 2 hip replacements(anterior) & a partial knee replacement done by Dr.Yau over the last year & a half. He is a wonderful doctor. He takes time & listens to & answers all your questions & doesn't rush you. The incisions on my hips pretty well match each other as well. I recommend him to everyone I hear that has knee or hip problems. If he feels your problem can be solved without surgery, he will tell you.
in Seymour, TN |
Dr. Yau is the most comprehensive and caring physician I have ever known. He gave me my hips back... I had both hips replaced...so I could return to my active lifesyte.
in Loudon, TN |
Dr. Yau is wonderfully compassionate! For me it was hip surgery. Dr. Yau specializes in the anterior approach. Overnight in the hospital, walking with a walker the day after surgery. Used a cane for the next 10 days, light golfing in 3 weeks, 18 holes after 4 weeks, 3 mile walk (flat), and then hills and hikes after 5 weeks. The entire experience, Dr. Yau, hip school, physical therapy, Ft Sanders Regional Hospital was terrific.
in Maryville, TN |
My experience was as awesome as any experience with surgery can be. I found Dr. Yau through research, asking questions, and most important, consulting with him personally. It's important, I believe, to not depend on the doctor for all the questions you may have but to do your own research by knowing what you want from your doctor and what you face regarding the surgery you face. Here's my overall experience with Dr. Yau -- AWESOME! Thank you Dr. Yau for your professionalism.
in Oak Ridge, TN |
Dr. Yau takes time to listen to your health issues and works to resolve the pain and problem you are experiencing. I had an anterior hip replacement and I am finally free of pain after 14 years. You gave me back my life by taking away the pain in my hip. It is refreshing to see your smiling face on each visit because you gave mine back to me. Thank you Dr. Yau for the journey and I have an attitude of gratitude for you every day.
in Maryville, TN |
I had been putting off knee replacement for a number of years waiting for a better option than total replacement. A friend had minimally invasive surgery with Dr. Yau with excellent results. Dr. Yau recommended a minimally invasive partial replacement for me. I was back working out at the health club within two weeks. An 80 year old friend had the same experience. Excellent doctor using the latest technology and procedures. Highly recommended!
in Sevierville, TN |
I recommend Dr Yau to everyone. He treats his patients like he would treat his Mom!!!
in Lenoir City, TN |
Dr. Yau has a high level of personal care & concern for his patients. He seems genuinely interested in the patient's healing and is determined to get the absolute best possible result in their hip & knee joint care. I have never before experienced such willingness to address patient's concerns/allay their fears with personal phone calls. His manner elicits trust. His smile, wit & humor really help when faced with reality that one or more joint replacements are needed. Joint Camp was excellent!
in Sevierville, TN |
First I would like to thank you for asking me to be on your panel at the Joint Camp. It was my pleasure to share the great success that I have experienced as a patient of yours. If it had not been for Dr Yau, I would not have the quality of life I have today. There is not enough space for me to praise Dr Yau enough. You will never regret going to him, he is the best!!! Such a talented , caring, skilled,intelligent person. I was so blessed to find him! I'm a walking advertisement for him. :)
in Greenback, TN |
I found Dr. Yau when I was looking on the internet for a surgeon to perform a knee replacement. I thought that his background and credentials were impressive. He had a 22 second video that I watched online, and he appeared to be humble and respectful of his patients. I found him to be that way in person, as well as an excellent surgeon. He provided outstanding care, and more personal accessibility than any other surgeon that I have ever encountered. Great guy!
in Knoxville, TN |
Very personable, very interested in me & my wife, very knowledgeable. Impressed that he, not his nurse or another office employee, called the night before surgery to see if we had any questions and then again after I got home from the hospital to see if I had any concerns. He calls me and my wife by name every time he sees us.
in Louisville, TN |
Upon meeting Dr. Yau I immediately felt comfortable and confident in him. He is very personable and takes the time to explain what's going on. My hip replacement on 3/11 and recovery has been amazing and like he told me I can fix you - and he did! I read about him in our newspaper several times and liked what he said. He is truly a blessing to his profession and I am very grateful to him.
in Knoxville, TN |
Very positive experience. I just sent Dr. Yau a personal note thanking him for his care, skill and personal concern and how blessed I was to have found him. I found it to be very comforting to know that my care was in his hands. I am blessed to have found a surgeon who is very skilled, but also with a kind and compassionate heart. The incision was small; therefore, I have not developed keloid tissue.
in Mascot TN |
Great Need To be more stars like about 20
in Oak Ridge, TN |
As a patient, I am extremely confident in Dr. Yau's knowledge of his specialty, professionalism, empathy and understanding. Being referred to him due to poor progress and failed procedures from previous doctors, he addressed the problem quickly and was able to offer solutions, corrected the problem and helped me get my life and mobility back on track. Very pleased.
Have you seen Dr. Paul Yau, MD?

Compare Dr. Yau

}

Dr. Yau says...

Dr. Yau's Care Philosophy

Dr. Yau says...

Dr. Yau is chair of the Department of Orthopaedics

Dr. Yau's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Yau has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

Why It Matters: Dr. Yau's Board Certifications

• Hip Sprain
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Meniscus Tear