Dr. Paul D. Tortland, DO

23 reviews

• Anthem
  • Connecticare
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care

For me, being a physician is about customer service. I strive to treat my patients the same way that I would want to be treated myself. My goal is to identify the source of your pain or injury and then treat it. I do NOT do "pain management." I don't want to "manage" your pain - I want FIX your pain! I use cutting edge approaches to help identify the pain generator. I then discuss with you the various treatment options available. I don't give up easily. But I also won't string you along if we are not making meaningful progress - I'll refer you to someone who may be better able to help you. Finally, I strongly believe in patient education. If you do not completely understand what's going on and the treatment(s) that I propose, then it compromises the effectiveness of any treatment. So a major portion of my role is one of educator, and I'll take the time necessary to explain everything in simple, easy to understand terms.Read more

Dr. Tortland's Experience

See how Dr. Tortland's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Tortland

Dr. Tortland accepts 7 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Tortland has admitting privileges.

Dr. Tortland's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tortland to family and friends
Dr. Tortland's Performance
Yorktown Heights, NY |
Dr Tortland was supposed to do nerve hydrodissection to release nerves relating to pelvic pain. I have MORE nerve entrapment and tissue buildup as a result of his work. One area he injected was near the groin. His injections affected the nerves in my abdomen and my digestive system. I now have severe labia pain and severe abdominal pain. For weeks afterwards I was vomiting. Two times, I went to the ER. Seven months later, I have more pelvic pain than I had before. He has yet to return my calls.
I'm very sorry that this patient feels this way. She consulted MANY physicians, NONE of whom could identify the source of her pain or treat it. She continued to ask for my help for over a year. Nothing that I tried helped, but did it NOT make her worse. In her last e-mail to me (3/8/17) she wrote the following: "Thank you, Dr Tortland. I appreciate your time in responding to my emails. I know you had my best interests in mind as you were treating me. Thank you. I wish you the best, (name)"
in South Windsor, CT |
Dr. Tortland is great! I have a ruptured disc in my lower back which caused nerve damaged in my right leg. I have been taking medicine for pain management for a couple of years which was prescribed by a different doctor. I fully expected Dr. Tortland to renew my prescription and send me on my way....but he didn't. He truly does want to fix my problem!! He is compassionate and genuinely interested in helping me with my concern. I would highly recommend him.
in Groton, CT |
One of the most knowledgeable, thorough doctors I've ever dealt with. Helped me with persistent low back issues that no one else I saw could help with. Have personally referred several new patients, all who have come back with positive experiences. Takes the time to explain options and mechanics of proposed treatments.
in Fairfield, CT |
Dr. Tortland is a compassionate doctor that both my teenage son and I felt could provide the regenerative therapy we were seeking as an alternative to surgery. Because he's unaffiliated with any company, he embraces and incorporate cutting edge solutions into treatment protocols that deliver superior outcomes while lessening invasiveness and patient time in the office. He was clear, patient, answered all our questions, and did the most thorough clinical evaluation of all four doctors we saw.
in Kingston, NY |
I chose Dr. Tortland because of his knowledge, experience and techniques in the stem cell therapy field. He made me feel comfortable and explained everything. His assistants were great.
in Kingston, NY |
I was in pain for years with a deteriorating left hip. Dr. Tortland gave me a Prolozone injection that relieved the pain and followed up with a combination fat cell and stem cell injection He is one of the most professional and caring Dr I have ever met. He is using state of the art treatments and is a true pioneer in this new treatment process. I would highly recommend him for anyone trying to avoid surgery.
in Simsbury, CT |
Highly recommend! I went to see Dr. Tortland for a partial ACL tear. The treatment we decided on was a PRP injection. The staff was very friendly and informed. Dr. Tortland spent as much time with me as i needed to feel comfortable with the procedure. The day of was a breeze and pain free. I was really impressed, had a great experience and am on the road to recovery. Im a very active person and someone that understands me was very important. I would recommend this procedure and the Doc to anyone
Have you seen Dr. Paul D. Tortland, DO?

Dr. Tortland's Care Philosophy

For me, being a physician is about customer service.  I strive to treat my patients the same way that I would want to be treated myself.

My goal is to identify the source of your pain or injury and then treat it.  I do NOT do "pain management."  I don't want to "manage" your pain - I want FIX your pain!

I use cutting edge approaches to help identify the pain generator.  I then discuss with you the various treatment options available.

I don't give up easily.  But I also won't string you along if we are not making meaningful progress - I'll refer you to someone who may be better able to help you.

Finally, I strongly believe in patient education.  If you do not completely understand what's going on and the treatment(s) that I propose, then it compromises the effectiveness of any treatment.  So a major portion of my role is one of educator, and I'll take the time necessary to explain everything in simple, easy to understand terms.

Dr. Tortland says...

Dr. Tortland is a national leader in the fields of Regenerative Medicine and non-surgical orthopedics.  He was the first physician in southern New England, and one of the earliest in the whole country, to begin performing both PRP and stem cell injections, in 2007 and 2008, respectively.  Few in the country have his level of experience or expertise.  He was the very first physician in the world to be certified in Regenerative Medicine by the American Academy & Board of Regenerative Medicine.  He is also an expert in Prolotherapy and Prolozone treatments; he has been doing Prolotherapy since 1994!  In addition, Dr. Tortland is an internationally recognized expert in musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSK US).  He was in the first group of physicians in the world ever to become Registered in MSK US (RMSK) by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM).  He helps teach MSK US courses around the country each year, and he has published his own MSK US instructional video series.

Dr. Tortland says...

The hallmark of our practice is the use Regenerative Medicine treatments including Prolotherapy, Prolozone, PRP (platelet-rich plasma), and stem cell injection therapies.I have been doing prolotherapy injections since 1995.  I was the first physician in the state of Connecticut to begin performing both PRP and stem cells injections for orthopedic conditions, in 2007 and 2008, respectively, longer than most physicians in the U.S.  I'm consider an leader and pioneer in the field Regenerative Medicine.In addition, I am an internationally recognized expert in the use of musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSK US) for both diagnosis and for US-guided injections.  I help teach over half a dozen MSKK US courses around the country each year, and I have published an extensive library of MSK US training videos for physicians.

In short, there are few physician in the country with my level of skill and experience in the field of Regenerative Medicine and MSK ultrasound.

Dr. Tortland's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Dentistry
  •  Board certified in Family Practice, Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine and Sports Medicine

Dr. Tortland has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Connecticut.

Why It Matters: Dr. Tortland's Board Certifications

• Family Practice
  • Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
  • Sports Medicine

• Achilles Tendon Injuries
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle

Graduated in 1981

• Other Education
    University of Connecticut

Completed in 1984

Dr. Tortland does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tortland and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Nerve Blocks
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Prolotherapy Injections