Dr. Paul Montalbano, MD

Dr. Paul Montalbano, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Neuroscience Associates 6140 W Curtisian Ave Ste 400 Boise, ID 83704 Get Directions

Dr. Paul Montalbano, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Boise, ID. He is 50 years old and has been practicing for 24 years. Dr. Montalbano is affiliated with Treasure Valley Hospital, Saint Alphonsus Medical Center - Nampa, Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center, West Valley Medical Center and St. Luke's Boise Medical Center.

Dr. Montalbano's Experience

See how Dr. Montalbano's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Montalbano

Dr. Montalbano accepts 6 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Montalbano has admitting privileges.

Dr. Montalbano's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Montalbano to family and friends
3.7
Dr. Montalbano's Performance
    GOOD
in Eagle, ID |
He is attentive to patients concerns, questions and makes time to explain what is causing your pain and the procedure to help rid you of such pain.
in Boise, ID |
Have Ben A patient Of Dr Paul Montalbano For many Years he is the Best Doctor that I have had I would trust him with my life He take a cyst out of my back near my spine cored some year ago I would recommend him to my family and friends if need a good and caring Doctor I recommend him Marie Gillespie
in Boise, ID |
We had a life threating situation with my brother who was hit by a car and sustained severe head trauma and brain damage. This was an extreme situation and I have no doubt that Dr. Montalbano made the difference in saving my brother life and giving him the best possible outcome from a horrible situation. Paul is caring considerate and will spend the time to give you the information you need to make life decisions. We are thankful and feel graced that Paul was there for my brother David.
in Boise, ID |
I had a tumor on a vertebrae and Dr. Montalbano explained the diagnosis, what needed to be done, and everything going forward. He listened to my concerns and answered questions. He is very professional and has a great support staff. He wants the best for his patients. I highly recommend Dr. Montalbano.
in Boise, ID |
I would recommend Dr. Montalbano willingly. From my first referral visit several years ago to the present he and his staff have been professional, courteous, and patient with questions. Dr. Montalbano elicits a sense of being partners in addressing what I consider to be significant health issues. Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinion.
in Weiser, ID |
Excellent Dr.
Garden City, ID |
I spent 6 months in pain, trying all conservative means for healing and recovery, Chiropratic care, laser, massage therapy, yoga, physical therapy, rest, exercise nothing worked. I then tried muscle relaxants, epidural spinal steroid injections and still nothing worked. Finally an MRI revealed a herniated disc pressing on spinal nerves. A week later I met Dr. Montalbano, two weeks later surgery. I woke up pain free and remain so! I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon or staff!
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Montalbano performed a microdiscectomy on L4-L5 a little over a month ago. I am recovering great and gaining strength each day without pain. He is professional, takes time with his patients, and answers all questions thoroughly to the patient's understanding.
in Middleton, Idaho |
Dr. Montalbano performed L4-L5 microdiscetomy surgery on me and only a few months out, I am absolutely, 100% pain free!!! Dr. Montalbano is the "best of the best" neurosurgeon per a highly respected physician I know. He is passionate about about what he does and he is brilliant in every sense of the word. Dr. Montalbano is also compassionate; he made me feel at ease and seemed to genuinely care about me. He and his staff treated me as if I was family and I will be forever grateful to him.
in Marsing, ID |
I have been a patient of Dr. Montalbano for almost 14 years. He is highly skilled and trusted by my family and I. His efforts to provide continued follow-up service have provided peace of mind.
in Boise, Idaho |
Developed spinal stenosis in my 50's. Lumbar injections and a Laser Spine Institute procedure didn't help. I was on crutches and in pain. Dr. Montalbano recommended and performed L3/L4/L5 fusion. The pain disappeared! 5 years later and I continue to have have NO PAIN. Do know: recovery and therapy take several months. But if you need fusion, I highly recommend Dr. Paul J. Montalbano. He's a engaging, friendly man and an absolutely brilliant surgeon. Thank you Dr. Montalbano, you saved my life!
in Middleton, ID |
Dr. Montalbano is an amazing dr. He takes the time to listen and answer every question you have. He is very professional and helps ease your nerves. I was very scared for the emergency surgery I had to have but his comforting words and information on what was going to happen and what to expect was phonomanol! I never want another surgery but if I had to have one. My trust is in him! Thank you Dr. Montalbano for everything you've done for me!
in MERIDIAN |
He is the worst Dr I have ever seen in my life. He performed the wrong kind of surgery that should of been performed with my issue and had to have another back surgery due to his mistake. He don't care nothing about you or the pain you are in and will just let you suffer.
in Boise, ID |
Very good chance, I already have talked to a couple of friends.
in Meridian, ID |
The slushy snow was my bane, Dr Montalbano was my rescue! I have had no pain since the surgery. Everyone at the office is empathetic and professional. Dr Montalbano is a superior surgeon and I highly recommend him for your neurological surgical needs. Thanx, Doc!
in Boise, ID |
When I was informed that I needed back surgery I was scared and very apprehensive. Dr. Montalbano took the time to explain to me what needed to be done and why, how the procedure would be performed and what my recovery would involve. He answered every question I had and I had many! My surgery was very successful thanks to his expertise. I can't thank Dr. Montalbano and his staff enough for all they have done for me.
in Eagle, ID |
Dr Montalbano is an excellent surgeon and physician. He is friendly and answers all my questions. He is to the point but always respectful and kind. I had ACDF surgery done by him and he is also treating my degenerative facet joints in my neck/lower back from osteoarthritis. He doesn't just jump to surgery, he tries all the non-surgical options first. His staff is friendly. Preston is to the point but very efficient, respectful and he solves problems quickly. I highly recommend Dr Montalbano!
Star, ID |
Dr. Montalbano went to battle with my insurance company for a year to get my surgery approved. Due to his determination to help me I was able to have surgery that has literally given me back my life.
in Star, ID |
I was suffering from lower back pain and severe sciatica for about 10 months before seeing Dr. Montalbano. He ordered an MRI & several lower back X-Rays prior to my 1st appt. As a result he discussed the cause & solution. I found him professional, knowledgeable, witty & direct. He clarified in detail the process & told me to contact his office if I had any further questions or concerns. I left with a comfortable feeling & respect for Dr. & his staff. My spinal surgery is a "huge success"!
in Boise, ID |
I truly enjoyed the service I received, from the staff, nurses and Dr. Montalbano. he was personal with asking about how my family was plus concerned on how I was doing. A year after my surgery he asked where my grand children were, they always can to my appointment with me, and he always talked to each one of them:) I really owe him big time, not only am I walk without pain and holding my Grand kids, I am skiing belly button deep powder. Thank you Dr. Paul Montalbano:)
nampa, id |
Dr. Montalbano is an excellent surgeon with a great way of explaining everything! He is patient, listens and answers questions, and really tries to makes certain the patient is informed. He really cares about the welfare of his patients and goes out of his way to make people feel comfortable. He performed a cervical fusion and I recovered very quickly thanks to his skill. His office staff is available to answer questions and even help with insurance concerns. I highly recommend this office!
in Parma, ID. |
I had a bulging disc that Dr. Montalbano had to repair. He started out caring for me on a conservative bases, exercise, PT, and anti-inflammatory medication, but that was clearly not enough, I ended up with surgery to correct my problem. I know I was in good hands between himself, his staff at the office, and his staff at the hospital, I could not have asked for more. He listened to what I had to say every visit, he was compassionate, and did an awesome job on the repair of my disc. Thank You
Boise, ID |
Dr Montalbano has performed two fusions for me, cervical and lumbar. He did an excellent job. I would highly recommend him for any neurosurgical care.
in Boise, ID |
There isn't a better neurosurgeon anywhere than Dr. Montalbano. I have found him to be excellent. I have first-hand experience seeing where he has corrected issues created by other surgeons and has done so in a most professional manner. I feel he is a gifted surgeon and I'm lucky to have him in this capacity since 2001. I trust him completely and will recommend him with no reservations.
Boise, Idaho |
Dr. Montalbano is a great surgeon. He gets you up on your feet fast. He makes good decisions and does an excellent job. I would highly recommend him to family and friends!
in Mccall, ID |
Knowledgeable, skilled surgeon. He took really good care of me and seemed genuinely concerned with my care and recovery.
in Eagle, ID |
Dr. Montalbano succeeded where my previous doctor failed. What he did to my back, is appreciated more than one can imagine. Dr. Montalbano and his team are all Five Stars.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Montalbano did excellent work. I entered his office only to find out he had already scheduled me for surgery the next morning from looking at my MRI sent to him by my primary care physician. I was scared and he was able to calm me. It has been almost 12 weeks I have full range of motion in my arm that had zero going in. He is caring and compassionate.
in Eagle, ID |
My experience involves a recent open surgery; fusing L3, L4, L5. The procedure was done at the Treasure Valley Hospital. Dr. Montalbano was extremely thorough, taking time to answer all my questions; before and after surgery. His staff is professional and efficient. All appointments were on-time. This is my fifth back surgery in 15 years. This is the first time I felt relief as soon as the anesthesia wore off. His skill as a surgeon is remarkable. Can't say enough about how pleased I am!
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Montalbano has been taking care of me for over 10 years, and I have received nothing but the best of care. I would and have recommended him to anybody that is in need of the best neurological surgeon to be had. His staff is top notch as well, very professional and compassionate as well.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Montalbano was the second neurosurgeon we consulted when my daughter suffered a brain bleed with unknown cause. We are so glad we chose him! Dr. Montalbano is conservative and thorough with his approach to determining a course of action. He has a good bedside manner and explains complex medical conditions in layman's terms. I give him 5 stars!
in Ithaca, NY |
Dr. Montalbano's back surgery restored my mobility completely and banished all pain. He was clear in his explanations, efficient at every point, and several years of follow-ups show that his work has held up without any problems.
in Boise, ID |
You could say the man saved my lifestyle. It was hard for me to even brush my teeth without pain in my back. Had my surgery done over Christmas break and I was back teaching school the 4th of January. It has been 7 years and I am still going strong!
in Garden City, ID |
Beware! All I can say is read the reviews about him under the Ratemds website. There are several very honest reviews there that will explain why you may want to find a different Doctor than him.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. MONTALBANO was highly recommended to me for my neck/spine surgery by two individuals. I am very glad they directed me to him. He is a knowledgeable, skilled and experienced surgeon.
in Boise, ID |
if you want the best, the person who other Doctors go to, then this is the person to see
in Nampa, ID |
Perhaps one of the most caring Doctors I have ever met. His concern for me as a patient was extra ordinary. Even more astounding was his concern for my wife. He answered every question and informed us of all of the risks and possibilities of the surgery. He made sure that I was aware of everything that was taking place in my behalf. A great physician and a better person.
in Meridian, ID |
He did stenosis surgery on me in early 2009 and I was in tremendous pain as soon as the surgery was over. I stayed in 24/7 pain for 5 years and was wheelchair pound. I went back several times asking Montalbano for his help but he would not help me. He keep referring me to a pain specialist. I finally found a surgeon in 2015 that said he could help me. He removed all of Dr Montalbano's Hardware and found a screw logged in a nerve cluster causing all my pain. PS he threatens patients by phone.
in Boise, ID |
My surgical experience with Dr. Montalbano was outstanding! He was very thorough and performed the surgery on my back very successfully. Throughout the entire process he listened very well to my concerns and explained the process completely. He is very considerate and patient. I highly recommend Dr. Montalbano. Thank you!! Susanne K. Rayborn
in Boise, ID |
After three visits and several other visits to other Neurosurgeons I realized that they look at your condition from a surgical standpoint and some times additional X-rays or an MRI is required to further evaluate your condition. We all want answers and sometimes an answer is not immediately available. He is very thorough and diagnosed a condition that several other doctors had not. He will not do surgery unless it is necessary. Keep these things in mind when you have an office visit.
in Boise, ID |
His outcomes are excellent. He does not do unnessary surgery. He has that special ability of giving caring and compassinate attitude. He serioulsly cares about his patients....
in Meridian, ID |
Dr. Montalbano did surgery on my lower spine, I had full trust in him since he has done surgery on my sister in law. He answers any questions I have, and has a sense of humor.
in Nampa, ID |
would recommend Dr. Montalbano without hesitation - both surgeries I've had couldn't have gone smoother
in Weiser, ID |
Dr. Montalbano was great to talk with, did a great job with my surgery and was very professional in every way. I would highly recommend him to my friends and family.
in Boise , Idaho |
STOP.... dont even bother Horrible bedside manners very uncaring would never recommend,lies He tells you something and then turns around and said he never said that and you wait forever in waiting area sometimes it's been at least an hour even with scheduled appointments to bust to take time to listen to you
in Glenns Ferry |
Dr. Montalbano did three surgeries for me. All three for spinal stenosis. First the neck, than L3,4,&5. A yr. later he had to go back in and secure L2 into the ladder. No doubt, back surgery is rough. But it kept me on my feet instead of in a wheelchair! I have done well, and I thank God for Dr. Montalbano, and the talent he has been blessed with. Thank you, Dr.! I hope to not have to see you again for surgery, but if I do, I will put my trust in your hands.Your staff is also great.
in Meridian, ID |
I was 100% satisfied with my neck fusion. I then had to have a complicated Thoracic. Fusion, though it's been a difficult recovery, I am finally starting to regain improvements almost daily. Thank you Dr. Montalbano to you and your excellent staff!
in Caldwell, ID 83605 |
I was recommended to him by my GP and I am glad that I took his advice. I have been completely at ease and feel that I can trust Dr. Montalbano in all aspects of treatment. Dr. was quite thorough in explaining all procedures in terms that was easy for me to understand and that allowed me to be more at ease.
in Boise, ID |
I saw the Dr. 3 times. He spent a total of 10 mins for 3 visists. The 1st time he was quick because he wanted tests to look at before he discussed my problems. My appt. with him to get my results lasted less than 3 minutes. He had been delayed with surgery and I waited a total of 2 1/2 hours before I was seen. He said I didn't need surgery and he would send me to PT. I believe he was tired and didn't have time for questions. Follow up appt. good. He's very personable but just too fast.
in Boise, ID |
Absolutely best back surgeon you could hope for. Put rods the n my back and I was walking within 36 hours. Fantastic hands. Ask anyone who knows back surgeons and they tell you Paul is the best. He is professional and cares for his patients best interest a lot.
Have you seen Dr. Paul Montalbano, MD?
Are you Dr. Montalbano?

Compare Dr. Montalbano

}

Dr. Montalbano's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Idaho not available

Dr. Montalbano has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Idaho.

Why It Matters: Dr. Montalbano's Board Certifications

• Neurosurgery

• Aneurysm
  • Brain Aneurysm
  • Brain Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease

University Of Florida College Of Medicine

Completed in 2000

Loyola University Chicago

Graduated in 1988

Dr. Montalbano does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Montalbano and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Brain Surgery
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty