Dr. Paul McCormick, MD

Dr. Paul McCormick, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 64

Spine, and More
Telehealth services available

Dr. Paul McCormick, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in New York, NY and has over 38 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. McCormick has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons medical school in 1982. He is affiliated with medical facilities NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. McCormick to book an appointment.

Columbia University Medical Center Neurology

New Patient?
Columbia University Medical Center Neurology710 W 168th St Fl 5 New York, NY 10032

• Practices at Highly Recommended Hospital Patients recommend this hospital to family and friends. See hospitals

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Columbia University Medical Center Neurology

Dr. McCormick's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. McCormick

4.3

Dr. McCormick?
Dr. Paul McCormick is outstanding surgeon. highly intelligent and caring human being. I can trust his clinical/diagnostic judgement and his excellent surgical skills. His staff is top notch. I highly recommend this wonderful doctor.
  • Long wait times
P. Molochevski – Nov 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Simply the best!! His demeanor and talent is as good as it gets.
  • Long wait times
Stanley Nowak – Aug 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
To me he is my God who gave me my second life ! Thank you !
Jul 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Dr. Paul McCormick is the best spinal surgeon on the planet. He conducted a spinal fusion which was successful. Every day I'm grateful for my recovery, painless life, and Dr. McCormick. He is a good man who took time to simply communicate my issues and his proposed surgical solution. You can tell he really cares about his patients.
Win Sakdinan – Jul 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Dr. McCormick was the 3rd doctor I saw for an opinion after promptly being told during the 1st opinion that I needed surgery. EHLERS-DANLOS PATIENTS, HE KNOWS OUR CONDITION WELL! What a blessing! My 2nd opinion doctor, Jeffrey Goldstein of NYU, was absolutely terrible. Despite my apprehension after a terrible 2nd opinion, I went to see Dr. McCormick. Even though he told me that I did not need surgery early in the visit, he listened to all of my concerns and gave me constructive feedback. Not only was he patient & thorough, but his bedside manner was very comforting. I wish I could see him for all of my medical problems. Dr. McCormick is a very high quality doctor.
ER – Mar 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
My husband and I have been in a serious car accident and Dr. Mr Cormick was our surgeon. He is the finest of the finest and gave us our life back!
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Susumu Sato and Rebecca Segerstrom-Sato – Feb 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Fifteen years ago I had somewhat of a minor surgery with Dr. Mc'Cormick that relieved me of all pain as it was a discectomy and I was back to work in 10 days..he noted I had some other issues but of no concern now. He was right.. when I went to see him again I told him " I can't stay like this, I can't walk and have a lot of pain and to please help me get my life back.. his reply was I can help but only with a multi spinal fusion, L4,L5,L5, S1. I was scared to death but I had the confidence in him to help me. I am now post op 10 months and feeling 90 percent better!! A bit more PT and I feel I will be even better. I can only say you go to a world class hospital and get a renowed surgeon as Dr. Mc'Cormick and you are lucky... very lucky..Thank You Dr. Mc'Cormick, I am and will be forever grateful to you!! I would also like to Thank your entire team and your nurse assistant Jane! They are all tops, to say the least!!
Debbie Carrus – Oct 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Dr McCormick performed a surgery on me and made me like new again, he is the Best around, God Bless Dr. McCormick
A. Mancini in NJ – Nov 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Have you ever heard the words, “you have an intramedullary spinal cord tumor” ? Well I unfortunately did. I was shattered and did not know who to see about this. I was shattered and in excruciating pain taking multiple prescription medications to control my pain. All this with numbness and mild neurological deficits. Dr. McCormick changed all that for me; he’s an amazing surgeon. Six months after surgery I’m medication free and still improving.
Matt in NJ – Sep 04, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Excellent physician with a great personality. I was able to schedule an appointment and get treatment very expeditiously. It turned out to be an extremely rare tumor of the spine, but this hardly stunned Dr. McCormick! He handled it with ease and dexterity of someone who had seen a thousand of these. World class neurosurgeon! Great office staff too!
Utica, NY – Aug 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
I recently had surgery by Dr. McCormack to replace 2 herniated disks in my cervical spine. I was in a precarious situation where the broken disk matter was pressed against my spinal cord so I needed surgery asap. Dr. McCormack clearly and simply explained the issues of the harm of my situation, as well as the pain involved. I knew I was with an extraordinary clinician/surgeon for the surgery. Post surgery care was just wonderful.
New York, NY – Jul 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
I was treated by Dr. McCormick from March-June 2017. He saw me the day after I sent my radiology reports; he removed a spinal tumor ten days later. I was in a great deal of pain when I first saw him and was rapidly losing feeling and strength in my legs. Thanks to his care, my active quality of life is completely restored--I am able to run, lift weights, bike, etc. I am extremely grateful for his kindness and attentiveness to my situation.
Ridgewood, NJ – Jul 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
There are no words to convey the skilll and integrity of Dr.Paul McCormick. My spinal tumor was expertly removed...the communication between team members was superb and the care post surgery excellent. This Doctor gave me back my ability to enjoy and appreciate all that's good. He's amazing
Bonnie G in Roslyn, NY – Mar 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
I could not have asked for a better experience. There was absolutely no wait time in Dr McCormick's office and the staff was extremely professional. I required spinal surgery and my confidence in Dr McCormick and his reassuring bedside manner made the whole experience easier.
Sioban Leahy in Bayonne, NJ – Feb 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Dr McCormick simply saves lives! This goes way beyond the (10 Hr) 4 - level ACDF & Laminectomy for cervical stenosis and correction of severe kyphosis that saved me. Dr McCormick is a gifted & brilliant neurosurgeon who has dedicated his life to saving others. Week upon week, Dr McCormick performs surgical reconstruction / mitigation of the most serious spinal conditions. Dr McCormick - Thank you for your great work and commitment !
Walt in New York Ciity Area, NY – Jan 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
I give Dr. McCormick the very highest possible commendation. He is a top surgeon , a warm and caring man, and a leader and educator in the field of spinal neurosurgery. His Nurse Practitioner, Jane Kostadinov, and Dr. Evan Johnson, the Spine Hospital's physiotherapist, are equally excellent. I am profoundly grateful for what Dr. McCormick and his team did to alleviate my spinal stenosis, and I recommend him and his team to anyone requiring spinal surgery without any hesitation whatsoever.
John Spaulding King, J.D. in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA – Jan 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
I was diagnosed with a very rare (and rather large) intramedullary spinal cord tumor in November of 2015. After consulting with six neurosurgeons, they all pointed me to Dr. McCormick at Columbia/NYP. I flew across the country to see him and immediately knew he would be the one to perform the surgery. 9 hours of neurosurgery and a 3.5 week stay in the hospital later, I flew back home to California. Within 3 months of the surgery, I was walking unassisted and nearly back to work full-time.
Sam G. in Los Angeles, CA – Nov 02, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Dr McCormick and his team are the best. I had a stenosis in L4 and L5 and a terrible burning pain in my leg. I could not stand in one place longer than 5 minutes. Dr McCormick identified the problem immediately and he decompressed the affected area with the minimal disturbance to the adjacent levels and with a great success. I am pain free and I am very grateful to Dr McCormick . He is the best spine neurological surgery doctor and I would recommend him to anybody. Thank you Dr McCormick.
Wayne, NJ – Jul 17, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
Dr. McCormick saved my life! I am forever grateful towards him and his team. He was very supportive and answered all my questions that I had about my surgery and the process. An amazing doctor!!
New York, NY – Jul 12, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?
I cannot thank Dr. McCormick enough for saving my life.
New York, NY – Jul 12, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul McCormick, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. McCormick?

No malpractice claims found for New York

Frequently Treated by Dr. McCormick

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. McCormick treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. McCormick treats other conditions, please contact the office at (212) 305-7976.

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Dr. McCormick typically treats 58% more often than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 11 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
Herniated Disc Surgery

• Ear Disorders
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Torticollis
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Dr. McCormick accepts

Dr. McCormick accepts the following insurance:

Blue Access (Select Network)-NY
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield POS
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
Oxford Health Plans

We are committed to delivering the best care and an exceptional patient experience. We are devoted to providing services that are patient-centered and...Read more

Dr. McCormick's clinical practice and research have focused exclusively on the evaluation and management of patients with disorders of the spine and spinal...Read more

• Neurosurgery