Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD

Psychiatry ·  Male · Age 64

Dr. Markovitz

"Funneled through his Fresno address, he does lots of work for pharmaceutical companies and is well compensated for it - just enter his name into the ProPublica 'Dollars for Doc's' database to see just how profitable this has been for Dr. Markovitz. No wonder he makes a practice of poly-drugging patients and making it very difficult for them to withdraw from the drugs he pushes. It took me 8 months of horrible withdrawals and no support from him to get off these drugs. Run far from him. The danger is real."

Read Review

"Odd. The guy is too quick to judge and rather rude. His advice is so basic I could get the same from a stranger on the street. I get the impression he's in it just for the money. If he senses you're not impressed with him and his advice, he gets short and makes it clear he has no interest in keeping you as a patient. On the other hand, if you praise him and make it clear you'll be a non-problem and not ask a lot of questions, he'll be happy to keep you coming back amd paying him for years."

Read Review

Dr. Markovitz?
Dr. Markovitz's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
These reviews are so strange and outside of the care I felt I received from Dr. Markovitz. I have been to Psychiatrists who did not listen, did not ask pertinent questions, and who shoved anxiety medication on me. Dr. Markovitz went through a long list of questions and spoke to me at length about life, heredity, current stresses, frequency of my symptoms and wrote out a plan for me. He took time to explain things to me and show me numerical data that was relevant. I'm really glad I found him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
Burned out and very impatient, Dr. M. I left his office feeling sorry for him after he went ballistic, over me not wanting to take a particular drug because it causes insomnia. The guy is brilliant and should've stayed in a lab studying brains and let other psychs deal with the people end of it. Like I said, I have empathy but I left his office feeling suicidal and it took me two days to get over it. That being said, I AM taking the advice he gave me. But I'm never going back to him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
He may be smart, but has no people skills. He said extremely awful things my family and said that nobody could have helped my mom who died when I was 9. He also said that the years of childhood trauma that I survived had no effect on my life and that I was purely a result of my genetics. He prescribed me a year's worth of a medication that I've never taken. He also made many assumptions, said that my old psychiatrist should lose his license, and never asked me about how I felt. Do not see him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
Highly recomended. Been a patient for over a year now. Always responsive to emails or rx refills. His knowledge of brain chemistry and practicion experience of more than 29 years is unmatched to many. Down to earth, a sharp and witful personality, makes me feel like I'm talking to a buddy. Make appointments ahead of time, he IS busy and has a life outside of his practice. Call the day before and/or of, just to confirm. P.s. Many of these reviews seem unfairly too harsh.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
This guy is crazy and extremely weird. DO NOT go to this guy. There are much better psychiatrists in Santa Barbara. He is arrogant and makes a ton of assumptions and acts like he knows everything about you. He told me extremely weird things like my brain is dying and asked me if I fantasize about child rape for no reason. Never had a more uncomfortable and creepy experience with a doctor in my life.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
After being told the soonest I could schedule an appointment was 2 weeks out, I was called the day before asking if I could move it to later in the day because Dr. Markovitz "didn't want to come in too early." So I agreed and moved the appointment back an hour. The next day I show up and wait. And wait. And wait. Dr. Markovitz never showed up. Meanwhile I sat and watched the office staff make jokes about patients they just finished speaking with over the phone.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
I lost my Dr of 10 yrs due to new ins. When I first saw Dr. M he was very nice. He assured me he would take good care of me and said I could call or email anytime. After a couple of months he changed my dx bi-polar to mdd- I guess he wasn't listening when I explained my manic behavior-because mdd's don't have manic episodes. He put me on new medication-Fetzima and Mirtazipine. When my bp spiked to 198/107 and I was having 10 other side effects I told him no more Fetzima. He got angry. RED FLAG
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
The woman at the front desk of Dr. Markovitzs' office, with the short brown hair, has the most negative, rude and most unhelpful attitude I've run across in a very long time. She is obviously not well suited to work with other human beings. I will not return because of her.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
Dr Markovitz is the best. He is knowledgeable and non-judgmental. I found him easy to talk to. He has a bit of a dry sense of humor. He made sure I knew how to get ahold of him and that I should never hesitate to email or call him. He even came in on a weekend for me once. If you want a warm fuzzy doctor to hold your hand, he may not be for you. He's a psychiatrist, not a therapist. He's great on brain chemistry and meds.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
My first appointment, he left while I was sitting in the waiting room. Earliest I could reschedule was a month later. While he may be a good chemist, he made some grandiose assumptions and does not seem to appreciate subtle physiological differences among human bodies. Serotonin is not always the answer. He talked over me as I tried to answer questions. When I mentioned NIH, he said "you're not a doctor, you don't need to read that."
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
Unbelievably helpful. I couldn't have asked for a better experience with a Dr. I had left my previous Dr. because he didn't listen when I said I was having health problems (thyroid & weight, & others) due to my meds. He never asked me questions. He just gave me pills. However, Mr. Markowitz spent ample time with me and was so encouraging. He said, "we are going to get you feeling a lot better." It was so incredibly hopeful to hear someone say that to me. I feel so much better! Highly recommend!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
This person is no doctor. He is dangerous. He puts people on expensive samples, made me go through withdrawal forgetting to tell me to taper off. He tossed me someone else's prescription of Trazadone and said take one or two of these at night. Then he leaves all his Ventura patients without any notice. DANGER! Don't see this quack!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
This fool was more interested in proving his clinical studies with effexor than treating the patient-me. He gave a person with a known history of seizures a medication known to cause seizures. I've had a lot of good medcial doctors in my time. Markovitz was not one of them! He is a dangerous man whose own medical issues with diabetes give me great concern that his ability to treat patients is not vastly impaired by his own inflated ego and his probable mood swings related to blood sugar spike
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?
Had one appointment. Was prescribed an Rx. Scheduled a follow up appointment. Drove 59 miles to the appointment. Waited 30 minutes before I was told that Paul had a scheduling conflict and couldn't see me. I tried to reschedule, twice, but never got a return call from the Drs office.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Markovitz?

Dr. Paul Markovitz, MD is a psychiatry specialist in Santa Barbara, CA and has been practicing for 30 years. He graduated from Case Western Reserve U, School Of Medicine in 1982 and specializes in psychiatry.

• Psychiatry

1989
1986
1982

Dr. Markovitz accepts

Dr. Markovitz accepts the following insurance:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
Advantage Preferred DirectAccess Plus PPO
Select PPO

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Markovitz's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Markovitz's conditions and procedures:

• Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Amphetamine and Other Psychostimulant Dependence
  • Antisocial Personality Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Major Depressive Disorder