Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD

Gynecologic SurgeryMaleAge 55

Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD is a Gynecologic Surgery Specialist in Montclair, NJ and has over 32 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Tufts University School Of Medicine medical school in 1989. He is affiliated with Holy Cross Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Mackoul to book an appointment.

Dr. Mackoul

The Center for Innovative GYN Care

325 Claremont Ave Ste 100 Montclair, NJ 07042

Compare with other Gynecologic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Mackoul with our nearby Gynecologic Surgery Specialists at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of Newark Beth Israel Medical Center.

Dr. Mackoul's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Mackoul

4.5

Dr. Mackoul?
  • Office environment (152)
  • Appointment scheduling (150)
  • Staff friendliness (150)
  • Long wait times (23)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (19)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (17)
Dr MacKoul is the kindest and most patient doctor I have seen in years. My sister referred me to Dr MacKoul and from the moment I stepped into his office, I felt calm, a sense of peace and I felt cared for. I felt as if my problems and concerns mattered and I felt well taken care of. From the front desk to the nurses, anesthesiologists...every person made me feel so welcomed. Thank you, Dr MacKoul, for being compassionate and knowledgeable and for providing quality care to your patients.
Allyson Slade – Jun 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
After not knowing for almost 3 years that I could feel better, Dr. Mackoul offered me an option that turned out to be a life changer. He is knowledgeable, professional and answers all your questions. He gave me his list of pros and cons related to certain options and encouraged me to do some research before making a decision. First time I've ever had a doctor ask me to advocate for myself! It was awesome. The surgery I had was very easy, recovery was also pretty easy and quick. I cannot explain the amazing difference this has made to my life. No more pain, swelling, constant bleeding, or days where I am so sick I can't leave the house.
Kelli G – Jan 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Dr. Paul Mackoul is a Gynecological Surgeon that's a medical expert, skilled with the knowledge in his field to literally change a woman's life. His expertise is on the Highest Bar of Excellence. I'm 63 years old, I recently had two procedures done by Dr. Mackoul, a Hysteroscopy D&C and a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. He drew a picture of a Uterus and explained to me what he plans to do and what my recovery time would be for both procedures. I knew then he was the right Doctor for me. My surgery recovery was right on point with what I was told. In honestly 2 weeks I felt like a new person, I was able to drive, go to the store, light cleaning, etc. The two small incisions healed completed for me 2 1/2 weeks. I'm the culprit of that slight delay, I'm sure because of how I felt I overexerted myself by being too busy. May God continue to bless him, so he can continue to bless others. Thanks and sincere appreciation with love to Dr. Paul Mackoul!
CC in Silver Spring, MD – Dec 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Dr. MacKoul is a master of his craft and cares about the well-being of his patients.
Dec 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
I had two surgeries performed by Dr. MacKoul and his staff in less than 7 months. I must say the bedside manner and ongoing assistance provided was world-class on both occasions. The first surgery in August 2018, he removed 45 fibroids! From the size of a pea up to the size of a cantelope. Unfortunately, my desire to preserve my fertility was short lived, as I developed a condition that I was fully aware could happen, and have to have a hysterectomy a few months later. The service I received in March 2019, was on par with my previous experience. Thanks to Dr. MacKoul, I am relieved of years of pain from fibroids and heavy cycles.
Sep 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Pleased with the result of my Laproscopic Hysterctomy. My recovery went very well. Minimal pain and bleeding. I rested and then returned to work after 1 week and returned to physical fitness routine (weights and cardio) after a month. I am +60 days post op and feeling great!
PJBL – Sep 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
I was diagnosed with adenomyosis, fibroids & uterine polyps. I suffered from severe pain, heavy bleeding & anemia. I had to rearrange my entire life around the disease & was very miserable. I searched the net for hysterectomy & found CIGC. I had my consultation with Dr. Paul MacKoul (Ma-Kool). I traveled to Secaucus, NJ to have the surgery at the Center for Modern Surgery. Surgery took less than 1 hour. 2 hours recovery. I had 2 small incisions, 1 in my belly button & 1 above the pubic area. Back to work in 2 weeks. Doing normal activities without pain. It was better than I had expected. I regret waiting a year. Ladies, if you are sure you don’t want to have any more children & are seriously considering a hysterectomy contact CIGC. Dr. MacKoul is an outstanding laparoscopic gyn surgeon utilizing state-of-the-art technique. I feel amazing & I’m living life again! God bless Dr. MacKoul & the CIGC staff. I’m so grateful for their help. I can’t thank them enough for giving me back my life!
D.M. – Sep 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Dr. Mackoul was terribly sub-par during my initial surgical consult for a myomectomy. Despite arriving before my appt. time, I was seen almost one hour after my appt. time & the visit with him was extremely brief. Rather than reading my actual file to get a synopsis of my medical history, he merely looked at my MRI report and started firing off at me about why I had waited so "long" to address my uterine fibroids. He then went on a rant about how OBGYNs have a "wait and see" approach with fibroids and instead should be doing transvaginal for every annual exam. Um...what?! My husband & I attempted to redirect the discussion to be more solutions-oriented, yet Mackoul kept circling back to his pointless rant. Needless to say, I refused to let this man operate on my uterus and I am completely happy with that decision. I opted for minimally invasive procedure with a skilled surgeon at JHU Hospital with whom I had a night/day experience compared to this dreadful one with Mackoul.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Aug 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
First of all, I want to thank Dr. Paul and his wonderful team for the outstanding care provided to me! You are truly a blessing to me and to so many other women. A little bit of my story. I have was diagnosed with having mayomas as back in 2013. During that time I became anemic, causing me to suffer with great iron deficiency. Every month I was burdened with incredibly heavy bleeding, low energy and also back pain from the pressure of the growths. I couldn't even tolerate a short walk. During the past 3 years I gained weight because of the growths. Holding my urine for more than 15 minutes became a difficult task. My enlarge uterus was constantly pushing on my bladder. When I went to my first doctor, I was advised to have an open Myomectomy. I cringed at the thought of having a long and ugly scar after that. So I told him that I needed a second opinion. One of my colleges recommended Dr. Paul. After surgery. I seriously experienced a miracle with a new uterus. Dr. Paul removed a tot
Inna in VA – Aug 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
The visit was smooth! Dr. Mackoul was phenomenal! Very patient, understanding and informative! He helped me when no one else could!
LHam – Aug 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
I am very pleased with my decision to go see Dr. Mackoul. I received treatment immediately, I needed a biopsy and that was scheduled on a Wednesday, the Port Hysterectomy was done the following Monday, was home in three hours, and back to work the next Friday. After having two open surgeries and two C Sections, I had tons of scare tissue, I really did not believe that I was a candidate for any laproscopic surgery and was doomed to open surgery to resolve my pain. Dr. MacKoul made me feel confident of his skills and I trusted him. and I am really happy I did. I know if I had my regular Gyno Dr. perform this surgery I would have had bladder issues and definitely had open surgery. No Bladder issues by the way.
Jul 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
I recently had a hysterectomy performed by Dr. MacKoul, and I highly recommend Dr. MacKoul and the Center (Center Innovative GYN Care) to any woman. From the first consultation, through to the surgical procedure, follow up, and finally, my post-op appointment, I was totally satisfied with the service I received. Dr. MacKoul was very kind and patient to address my health concerns. He also understood the gravity of a woman making the decision to have such a surgery performed. He was very patien
SageofGrace – Nov 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Dr. Mackoul is a very skilled surgeon! I am 2 months post op, and my recovery was great void of any complications. I was walking 1.5 miles twice a day in my second week of recovery, and 3 miles straight in the third. I owe this to Dr. MacKoul's knowledge and surgical skills which are truly a blessing to women's health. I highly recommend anyone in need of any kind of gynecological surgery to make the trip to see Dr. Mackoul. It will be the best decision you have ever made for your health care.
none – May 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Coming to him for a 2nd opinion was the best decision I've made. W/i 3 min of looking at ultrasound results, asked if I had back pain: 1st of 3 doctors to see that fibroids were pressing on nerves. He drew pics of where my fibroids were & how surgery would work. After the 1st GYN said I needed a full abdominal incision, he put me at ease. "This is the easiest case I've seen all week; it's a breath of fresh air!" Surgery took a little over an hour, I was home the same night, driving 6 days later.
Pasadena – Apr 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
My OB-GYN did not feel comfortable with anything other than an abdominal hysterectomy. I searched all other options and physicians till I found Dr. MacKoul. Three little incisions and I was out shopping 2 days later. Traveled from out of state but it was well worth the time.
C. Holmes in Virginia – Mar 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Dr. Mackoul was the only person willing to help me. I was aware of my genetic issues, knew I did not want to jump through hoops in trying to fix the problem with things that were not guaranteed, and I knew I did not want to pass my genes on. Unfortunately, at 24, it took me 5 years to find a doctor who would help me. Dr. Mackoul is the best of the best. I only had to travel 5 hours to see him. If I had to though, I would travel across the world. 2 tiny incisions that cannot be seen! Healed quick
Ashlyn Canino in NC – Mar 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Wait time can be long, but it is so worth it. He’s busy and there’s a reason for that - he’s an excellent doctor.
Jan 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
Dr. Mackoul is a phenomenal physician and he has given me my life back! I suffered from multiple and large uterine fibroids for over 16 years. My previous GYN stated that I could only have an abdominal HYST to treat this condition due to the size of my uterus and location of the fibroids. This comes with a 6 to 8 week recovery and a large scar which was unacceptable in my book. Bottom line my recovery time was less than 2 wk and I only have a small scar less than an inch. Thank you Dr. Mackoul!!
D. Gardner in Fort Worth – Dec 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
I was looking for specialty care; particularly a minimally invasive treatment for my fibroid removal. I also split time between the US and Africa and needed a treatment that accommodated my travel schedule. Fertility was a major consideration for me as well and Dr. Mackoul was very keen on providing care and advice consistent with my near-term reproductive health goals.
Brooklyn, NY – Nov 12, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?
I hope you don't find yourself needing a hysterectomy with ovary removal, but if you do, this is the doctor you want. Dr. MacKoul literally changed my life. I had my surgery in September for severe endometriosis plus uterine fibroids and adenomyosis (the last two were bonus finds in pathology). I am finally living a pain-free life and making peace with my body. I also traveled for this surgery and wouldn't change a thing about it. So worth it to regain your life.
Kate in Austin, TX – Nov 11, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Mackoul?

Dedicated to the innovation of unparalleled laparoscopic GYN techniques that change women's lives. Dr. MacKoul's personalized approach to complex GYN conditions...Read more

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology....Read more

• Gynecologic Surgery