Gynecologic Surgery  |
Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD
Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master's degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC's exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact us online.

Rockville Office

3206 Tower Oaks Blvd Ste 200

Rockville, MD 20852

• Anthem
  • CareFirst BlueChoice, Inc.
  • CoreSource
  • Kaiser Permanente

Learn about Dr. Mackoul

Dedicated to the innovation of unparalleled laparoscopic GYN techniques that change women's lives. Dr. MacKoul's personalized approach to complex GYN conditions has patients back on their feet in days rather than weeks.

Dr. Mackoul's Experience

Dr. Mackoul's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Gynecologic Surgery

• Uterine Diseases
  • Uterine Fibroids
  • Vaginal Cancer
  • Vulvar Cancer

• Destruction or Excision of Lesion of Cervix (incl. LEEP)
  • Destruction or Excision of Vaginal Lesions
  • Urethral Sling
  • Vaginal Surgery
  • Vaginectomy
  • Vulvectomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• Other (4/9/2015)
    Action Taken: Release from Prior Order
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Maryland
  • Other (6/3/2014)
    Action Taken: Education
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Maryland

• University of Maryland Medical Sciences
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1993
  • Gyn Oncology, University Of North Carolina
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1995

Dr. Mackoul has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Mackoul has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Mackoul does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mackoul and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Mackoul's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mackoul to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Mackoul's Performance
in Matthews, NC |
Refuses to perform critical, minimally invasive Dual Port LAAM procedure for fibroids on any woman over the age of 43. He'll only perform a hysterectomy--even if there's no cancer and you're in perfect health. Appalling and not in the patient's best interest.
in Dallas, TX |
I had a laparoscopic partial hysterectomy at Innovations Surgery Center with Dr. MacKoul a week ago and feel absolutely amazing. The fact that he is able to do this surgery as minimally invasive reduced my pain, time off my feet and put me at less risk for complications. Within the first two days I was back on my feet and able to make short trips. I traveled from Dallas to the surgery center and every part of my trip was seamless from scheduling to surgery. Highly recommended!
in EG, Rhode Island |
I had a very large fibroid and needed a myomectomy. I work in the medical devices industry and did a lot of background research. Through my network I was able to speak with some of the best surgeons on the east coast who all recommended an open abdominal myomectomy which would have required 6-8 weeks of recovery. I found Dr. Mackoul on the internet and a brief 10 min call with him convinced me that LAAM was the best option. I flew to DC for surgery and was back at work in <2 weeks- Thank you Dr!
in Reston, VA |
Dr. MacKoul is an amazing surgeon with exceptional skill set! I could not believe I was pain free a couple of days after my hysterectomy! Dr. MacKoul is kind and compassionate....he explains everything in detail, even draws pictures. I would highly recommend this doctor! He is the best!
in Hanover, VA |
I was originally diagnosed with a HUGE ovarian cyst from my Gynecologist. (Cyst was 12" x 8" x 5" appx) My GYN told me I needed surgery & would be cut vertically appx 10" down my stomach, be in hospital 3-5 days & would take me about 6-8 weeks to recover.That night I did some research & found this amazing facility and Dr. I scheduled my appt with Dr MacKoul and was told yes, they could do my surgery & 5 days after was scheduled for surgery. Surgery was fast and easy! Day after I feel AMAZING!
in Glen Burnie, MD |
The surgeon answered my questions and assured me that all will be well and I can resume a normal lifestyle. Explained to me what would take place before and after surgery. Also explained and answered questions that my morning and afternoon caretakers had. The staff was always courteous, informative and respectful. They made me feel comfortable, although I did not know what to expect and was nervous about a procedure of this magnitude.
in Fairfax, VA |
He is not compassionate and spend the least amount of time with me. When contacted him after my surgery, it was an inconvenience to him. I do not recommend this Doctor.
Ms. Hoda, we are sorry you are not happy with your experience. During your pre-op consult with Dr. MacKoul, he spent a significant amount of time with you, even drawing a diagram of your condition. You were comfortable with the discussion and treatment plan, decided to move forward with surgery, and the procedure went very well. At your post-op consult, you have not expressed any concerns. Dr. MacKoul always ensures that patients are treated with respect and that their questions are addressed.
HICKORY |
Dr. MacKoul is a phenomenal surgeon. I dealt with fibroids for 18 years and Dr. MacKoul relieved me of this condition in a 1.5-hour, minimally-invasive surgery. The recovery was fast; I was driving in 5 days and back at work in 7. I cannot say enough about the professionalism of the staff and all who were involved with my care. If you have large fibroids and feel like an anomaly to your doctor, seek out Dr. MacKoul. He's a specialist with the heart and skill to help you. Be encourage!
Potomac, MD |
My 26 year old daughter went to see Dr. Mackoul for pelvic pain and his answer was to do a hysterectomy on her 3 months after she delivered her first baby. They found nothing wrong with her uterus and she is still having all her pain and can no longer have kids because of him. When she told him she still had pain, he brushed her off and said there was nothing more her could do for her and wouldn't see her anymore. His care of her was outrageous. He should be ashamed!!
Our records indicate that due to severe symptoms, the patient was seeking definitive treatment in the form of laparoscopic hysterectomy. Examination of the uterus has shown a condition that commonly causes pelvic pain. According to our protocol, patients with post-operative complications or pain always take priority. There may be many different reasons for the pain your daughter is experiencing at the moment and we would very much like the opportunity to get in touch and address any issues.
in Richmond, VA |
I had very large fibroids and was given the singular option of open abdominal hysterectomy by several OB/GYNs. Dr. MacKoul offered a choice of a minimally invasive myectomy or hysterectomy. I chose a hysterectomy, I am extremely pleased with the results,quality of life is 100% improved. Instead of 10" incision & 6 weeks recovery, I had a 1.5" incision and was able to walk a few miles in days. At 7 weeks, I consider myself completely recovered. I run, bike, swim, no pain & fatigue, no fibroids!
I would, and have, recommend Dr. Paul MacKoul and The Center for Innovative GYN Care to any woman who needs a GYN procedure. I had a 19 pound fibroid, which required a hysterectomy. My surgery went smoothly, and my recovery was wonderful. I stopped taking pain pills after three days, was able to drive after a week, and was back to work in two weeks. Plus, my surgery was just before Christmas, yet didn't damper the holidays in the least. I am so happy and glad to feel back to myself.
in Burke, VA |
Dr. MacKoul and his entire team literally saved my life. I spent 4 years looking for an answer to explain all of my ailments, and Dr. MacKoul solved it in less than 4 minutes. After having a DualPortGYN?, minimally invasive laparoscopic hysterectomy I instantly felt better than I have in the past 23 years of my life. No hospital stay, no noticeable incisions of any kind on my body, but entire organs were removed. How amazing is that? 6 weeks recovery the old fashioned way, or 12 hours here.
in atlanta, ga |
The staff was so friendly, the ppl at Innovative surgery center went above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of! I came from Atl to Maryland to have Dr. Mackoul preform a laparoscopic myomectomy. I didn't like what I was being told in Atlanta! Dr. Mackoul called me and went over everything with me, his staff was extremely attentive, everything was set up before I got here. Dr. Mackoul was very thorough and my surgery went as planned. Everyone was amazing to me. I HIGHLY recommend him!
Have you seen Dr. Paul Mackoul, MD?

Visit Dr. Mackoul

Dr. Mackoul accepts 9 insurance carriers
  • Anthem
  • CareFirst BlueChoice, Inc.
  • CoreSource