Dr. Paul Dougherty, MD

Dr. Paul Dougherty, MD

Cataract Surgery | Male

Dougherty Laser Vision 4353 Park Terrace Dr Ste 150 Westlake Village, CA 91361 Get Directions

Paul J. Dougherty MD, medical director at Dougherty Laser Vision, is among the nation's most experienced laser and lens-based vision correction surgeons. In addition to serving as medical director of Dougherty Laser Vision (with offices in Westlake Village, Camarillo, San Luis Obispo and Beverly Hills, California) Dr. Dougherty is an assistant clinical instructor of ophthalmology at the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA's Geffen School of Medicine. He has served as a principal investigator for multiple FDA clinical trials including CATz topography-guided LASIK, Visian ICL for both myopia and hyperopia, Raindrop Implant for presbyopia and the Tetraflex Accommodating and Softec HD IOLs. Dr. Dougherty graduated Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude from the University of Pennsylvania – the nation's oldest university. He then graduated first in his class at the UCLA School of Medicine and completed his residency at UCLA's Jules Stein Eye Institute, where he performed award-winning research on the then nascent field of laser vision correction. He next studied corneal and refractive surgery as a fellow at the Phillips Eye Institute in Minneapolis where he trained under Richard Lindstrom M.D. Dr. Dougherty was one of the few surgeons in the United States to perform laser vision correction on an investigational basis prior to FDA approval in 1995. Since then, he has personally performed more than 40,000 vision correction procedures. In 1997, he also became one of the first eye surgeons in the nation to have LASIK surgery performed on his own eyes. He was recently presented with the Staar Surgical Green Jacket Award as one of the leading implanters of the Visan ICL in the US. An outspoken advocate and educator, Dr. Dougherty routinely lectures and teaches the latest techniques to other surgeons. He has served on the editorial board of the Journal of Refractive Surgery, and authored the recently published consumer guide titled "See For Yourself: The Eye-Opening Guide to Permanent Vision Correction." Dr. Dougherty has been featured in national news media including "The Oprah Winfrey Show," "The Doctors," "CBS Early Show," People Magazine, "E! Entertainment News," "The NBC Today Show," USA Today, "The Insider," "ABC7 Eyewitness News," KCAL, KCBS, and "ABC Nightline". Dr. Dougherty has been honored for his many philanthropic efforts including the Andrew Dougherty Vision Foundation – a 501c3 nonprofit organization he founded to provide pro-bono vision correction surgery. The organization targets homeless individuals in the U.S. and disadvantaged patients worldwide in regions devastated by war and natural disasters. It also trains local surgeons in those regions to carry on the Foundation's mission by teaching them the latest cataract and refractive surgery techniques. Its most recent mission was to Port-au-Prince, Haiti to provide vital cataract surgery to scores of needy patients.

Dr. Dougherty's Experience

See how Dr. Dougherty's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Dougherty

Dr. Dougherty accepts 13 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Dougherty has admitting privileges.

Dr. Dougherty's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dougherty to family and friends
    Dr. Dougherty's Performance
    Newbury Park, CA |
    What an amazing experience! From the moment I walked in, I felt like a member of the family. I had visiting 3 other LASIK centers before deciding that Dr. Dougherty was my man. Dr. Dougherty is world famous LASIKS surgeon who has an amazing bedside manner and used the custom CATz laser technology that he developed! During my LASIK, he talked me the whole way through - it was easy! Four hours later - I could see! The doctor even called me that night. I was better than 20/20 the next day!
    in Newbury Park |
    Dr. Dougherty and his entire staff are "beyond amazing" and professional. You feel like you are a member of the family, when you come in for your eye exam and then surgery. I had a new lens installed by Dr. Dougherty in my right eye (cataract surgery) on Jan. 17, 2017. Now, I am scheduled for cataract surgery on my left eye on May 9th. Everything went "five star" on my right eye. I am having no worries about surgery on my left eye.
    in Oxnard,CA |
    I had an amazing experience. Yesterday made 2 weeks since my Lasik Surgery. I must say I am beyond satisfied. I wore eye glasses over half of my life, 28 years to be exact. It's a wonderful feeling playing basketball and not worrying about my glasses falling off my face. I would recommend others to experience the great quality of service I received.
    in Woodland Hills, CA |
    I had the SMILE procedure done by Dr. Dougherty and I am seeing 20/20 24 hours later! I've worn glasses most of my life and fir the first time I don't need them. It was painless and they didn't have to create a flap. I am back to work today and I am feeling great. Thank you to the Dougherty Laser Vision Team.
    in Woodland Hills, CA |
    I had surgery with them about a year ago and I couldn't be happier with my vision! A year later and I am still 20/20! The staff is amazing. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I was walked through the entire process - step by step. Kristie, Ray, and Dr. Dougherty were who I had the pleasure of working with. I highly recommend this company / doctor! Rob McCowan
    in Ventura, CA |
    Every aspect of my experience with Dr. Dougherty was positive, professional and my vision is amazing!
    in Thousand Oaks, CA |
    I had LASIK 14 Years ago at Dougherty Laser Vision in Camarillo. After a very comprehensive exam and discussion with Dr.Dougherty, he explained the procedure and expected outcome, and was more than accommodating in putting my nerves at ease! The staff was extremely professional and pleasant, you would almost think you were they're only patient! Everything went quite well, and Dr Dougherty made it clear that he and his staff were readily available for any questions or concerns I had.
    in Thousand Oaks, CA |
    As an Optometrist I have examined dozens of patients after surgery with Dr. Dougherty over the years and have seen first hand the consistently excellent results from a highly skilled surgeon. As a former patient of Dr. Dougherty having had Lasik 7 years ago, I've "seen" the wonderful results with my own eyes and couldn't be happier!
    in Los Alamos, CA |
    He has treacted multiple eye conditions from the simple laser surgery to cataract remove and crystal lens insertion. Dr Dougherty listens when you talk, answering your questions in leyman's terms and explaining those he knows you may not understand. In addition, has staff at all locations are extremely helpful, professional and pleasant. You know you are in good hands all around.
    Los Angeles, CA |
    Dougherty Laser Vision is the most friendly and professional environment. Just had the new Symfony lens with Dr. Dougherty -- I’m overjoyed with the results!! I’m 56 and have worn corrective lenses since 2 years old, without glasses or contacts I’m legally blind. The Symfony lens has given me the ability to read both close and computer without any compromise to my distance vision. Dr. Dougherty is a wonderful surgeon with a way of making me feel so comfortable.
    in Los Osos, CA |
    Good doctor, highly recommend. Has excellent skill and organization. Very professional.
    in Moorpark, CA |
    Very knowledgeable and friendly.
    in Morro Bay, CA |
    Dr. Dougherty and staff were friendly, attentive and informative. I had Visian ICL's implanted into each eye to correct my vision. The result was as I had hoped. As an optometrist, I loved that Dr. Dougherty talked me through the entire procedure. I can now share my experience with my patients who are candidates for this procedure. I will continue to refer my patients to Dr. Dougherty knowing that they will receive the most current vision correction options in a competent and caring manner.
    in Las Vegas, Nevada |
    As soon as I walked into this beautiful office I felt taken care of. Every staff member clearly loved what they do and care about the patients. After we were all done I left the office with 20/20 vision!! I had never been so happy! Doctor Dougherty And his team are the absolute best and I would recommend them to anyone!! ?? the gift of sight is a beautiful thing in itself but to experience that with caring loving people made such a difference that I am forever grateful for!!!! ????????
    Have you seen Dr. Paul Dougherty, MD?
    Are you Dr. Dougherty?

Dr. Dougherty says...

Paul J. Dougherty MD, medical director at Dougherty Laser Vision, is among the nation's most experienced laser and lens-based vision correction surgeons. In addition to serving as medical director of Dougherty Laser Vision (with offices in Westlake Village, Camarillo, San Luis Obispo and Beverly Hills, California) Dr. Dougherty is an assistant clinical instructor of ophthalmology at the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA's Geffen School of Medicine. He has served as a principal investigator for multiple FDA clinical trials including CATz topography-guided LASIK, Visian ICL for both myopia and hyperopia, Raindrop Implant for presbyopia and the Tetraflex Accommodating and Softec HD IOLs.

Dr. Dougherty was one of the few surgeons in the United States to perform laser vision correction on an investigational basis prior to FDA approval in 1995. Since then, he has personally performed more than 40,000 vision correction procedures. In 1997, he also became one of the first eye surgeons in the nation to have LASIK surgery performed on his own eyes. He was recently presented with the Staar Surgical Green Jacket Award as one of the leading implanters of the Visan ICL in the US.

Dr. Dougherty's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Cataract Surgery
    •  Board certified in Ophthalmology

Dr. Dougherty has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Dougherty's Board Certifications

• Corneal Ulcer
    • Diabetic Eye Disease
    • Diabetic Retinopathy
    • Diplopia
    • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
    • Dry Eyes

Phillips Eye Institute

Completed in 1994

University of Pennsylvania

Graduated in 1985

Dr. Dougherty does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dougherty and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Cataract Surgery