Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  |
Dr. Paul Cooper, MD
Dr. Paul S. Cooper is a board-certified orthopaedist specializing in the treatment of all conditions of the foot and ankle. Specifically, Dr. Cooper's focus has been in the development of new technology and procedures for the reconstruction of ankle disorders, diabetic complications and failed foot surgeries. He has served as the director of the Foot and Ankle Center for the past 12 years. Dr. Cooper fulfills his academic role as an associate professor of Orthopaedic Surgery. Other activities include serving as a board member on various committees of the American Association of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Having authored several book chapters and over 50 articles, Dr. Cooper remains actively involved on a national and international level giving lectures and seminars to other surgeons. Dr. Cooper was Phi Beta Kappa and graduated magna cum laude from Dickenson College. He graduated from Jefferson Medical College and completed his orthopaedic training at Union Memorial Hospital. Following his orthopaedic residency training, he completed his Sport Medicine Fellowship at Hershey Medical Center and his Foot and Ankle Fellowship at the University of Cincinnati. Recently, he served as the team physician to numerous professional athletic teams and as a foot and ankle consultant to the University of Connecticut's Athletic Department.

MedStar Georgetown University Hospital

3800 Reservoir Rd NW

Washington, DC 20007

• CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Cooper

Dr. Cooper's Experience

Dr. Cooper's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Foot and Ankle Reconstruction
  • Forefoot Reconstruction
  • Reconstructive Ankle Surgery
  • Reconstructive Foot Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for District of Columbia.

• Jefferson Med Coll-Thos Jefferson Univ
  • Christ Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1993
  • Hershey Med Ctr
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992

Dr. Cooper has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Cooper does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cooper and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Cooper's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cooper to family and friends
3.4
Dr. Cooper's Performance
Arlington |
Read diagnosis as walking out and it was a diag of something he never told me about. When back in to ask question and he told me not to look at his person who wrote diag "that way." Person who wrote diag was a med student. Then cooper walked out of room and growled. Very professional! Very Mature! Need foot insoles but person he recommended took 6 months to complete, then kept cancelling appmts. He would not recommend anyone else! Why is the arrangement with this guy? Must be something going on.
in Sterling, VA |
I had a Total Ankle Replacement and it went very well! Prior to surgery I was walking with a rigid brace and a cane and even then I couldn't walk far. Since the surgery I don't even need to think about walking! If the dogs want to go for a walk we just go. He had to remove some hardware and reshape the bone but now I have full flexibility! I'm going to a wedding next week and I can't wait to dance again! I didn't think I'd make a good candidate for a replacement as I am overweight (lack of
in Leesburg, VA |
I first met Cooper in 2011-he replaced my right ankle with the STAR ankle. It was a life changer. Cooper replaced my left ankle-also STAR ankle on 9/7/2016. Dr. Cooper's surgical expertise and team have changed my life for the better and there is no proper way to say thank you so this is a chance to share in the hopes others lives are changed for the better too. Cooper has high confidence, a healthy sense of humor and high expectations for his patients. I value all three qualities.
in purcellville, va |
He saved my mobility by fusing my ankle together after another doctor at another hospital had allowed it to become badly infected. Dr. Cooper had to fuse what remained of my ankle into a new form so it could function again. I am walking today because of Dr. Cooper. I am forever grateful for his dedication and high level of expertise. He is a 10 on a 10 point scale, nationally.
in Upper marlboro md. |
I seen 4 doctors the 5th dr. sent me to doctor Cooper. All the others gave me medicine. Which didn't help for the level of pain I was in. I was in excruciating pain. I was going further down hill. My quality of life was miserable. Then reluctantly I seen doctor Cooper. He gave me hope. I decide to have the surgery. I had a total ankle replacement. I am in therapy now. He has given me my life back.The excruciating pain I had has been minimized tremendously. I am grateful for Dr Cooper hes my hero
in Gaithersburg, MD |
Dr. Cooper is terrific. Just had a check-up. I'm 70, and have always been fairly active with gym work, hot yoga, etc. Cooper did a STAR total ankle replacement 3 years ago. Surgery was flawless, with little pain and quick recovery. I was walking with a boot/no crutches in a few weeks, and with no boot in a few months and a normal gait. Within 3 months I was back at hot yoga, gym work, etc. I am now jogging on a treadmill for 10-15 minutes/day at 6.5 miles/hr with absolutely no difficulty.
in Washington, DC |
I am extremely grateful to Dr. Cooper and his staff for fixing my jagged, broken fibula so I can now walk again. My bone is now straight & smooth! He is conservative - prescribing a non-weight-bearing cast for 6 weeks, a walking cast for 6 weeks, and a boot. But I read patients often re-injure their ankles by walking too soon when trusted with a walking boot. Dr. Cooper is a "tell it how it is" type of person. He is confident, knowledgeable and funny - a perfect surgeon with a great staff.
in Nanjemoy, M.D. |
I had my left ankle fused . My ankle was twisted and painful due to arthritis. Dr Cooper was able to straighten my foot and fuse it and now I am pain free and able to walk better. When I first met Dr Cooper he told me that he can fix my ankle and give me a better quality of life and he was correct.
in Potomac, MD |
I have already recommended Dr. Cooper to others. He does an excellent job with ankle replacement. The pain disappears, and life is really good again.
in Fairfax, VA |
Dr. Cooper proved himself to be an exceptionally skilled and professional surgeon. Dr. Coopers' staff, Meghan Schultz and Laura Nemets provided outstanding treatment and care throughout the entire time I was being treated at MedStar Georgetown.
Arlington, VA |
Pros: Dr. Cooper is a great surgeon and does excellent work, His surgical staff is also stellar. Cons: Dr. Cooper is not a hand-holder. Expect long wait times before being seen in the office.
in Reston, VA |
Solved difficult problems. Highly recommended by friend with multiple issues & surgeries by Dr. Cooper. Medical device/orthotics fitter stated they see he fixes what other doctors mess up or cannot do. He spoke the truth and did not raise my expectations unnecessarily. Ask questions and do your homework. Great, careful care. Highly competent and expert surgeon. Long wait times & bedside manner - who cares! Highly skilled with GREAT success. He is busy for a reason. I HIGHLY recommend.
Have you seen Dr. Paul Cooper, MD?
Are you Dr. Cooper?