Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Nirav Shah, MD
Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine & Arthroscopic Surgery of the Knee, Shoulder, Elbow Dr. Shah is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine, a specialty within orthopaedic surgery that treats injuries to bones, joints, cartilage, tendons, ligaments and muscles. Dr. Shah is also one of the few orthopaedic surgeons in the area with subspecialty board certification in sports medicine. He specializes in minimally invasive techniques and arthroscopy to treat complex injuries of the shoulder, knee, and elbow. Dr. Shah's extensive training and experience includes caring for athletes, weekend warriors, injured workers and treating common orthopaedic problems ranging from pediatric injuries to fractures and other injuries of the musculoskeletal system. This expertise, combined with his philosophy of personalized care, allows him to develop the most appropriate plan of treatment—either surgical or nonsurgical—based on the needs, goals and desires of each individual. His patients include little league, high school, collegiate and professional athletes, as well as the injured worker (workman's compensation) and weekend warriors—all receiving the same expert level of care. Knee: ACL, Meniscus, Ligament, Cartilage, MCL, PCL, Sprain, Strain, Arthritis, Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD). Pediatric, Adolescent, Athlete, Workman's Compensation Injuries Shoulder: Rotator Cuff, Ligament, Instability, Labrum, Cartilage, Arthritis, AC Sprain, Shoulder Dislocation, Bankart, SLAP Lesion, Biceps Tendonitis, Throwing Shoulder injuries. Pediatric, Adolescent, Athlete, Workman's Compensation Injuries During his fellowship at The Methodist Hospital and Baylor Clinic in Houston, Texas. Dr. Shah trained with physicians whose advice and treatment was sought by athletes from across North America. He was a team physician for the Houston Astros Major League Baseball team, accompanying the team for spring training. Dr. Shah was also a team physician with the Houston Texans NFL team, the Houston Dynamo Major League Soccer team, University of Houston athletic teams, and several Houston area high school football teams. He trained with team doctors for the Chicago Bears, the Chicago Cubs, the Chicago Fire, and Northwestern University athletic teams while in residency at Northwestern University. Dr. Shah's personal involvement in numerous sports medicine activities includes coverage of the Big Ten Men's Basketball Tournament, the NBA pre-draft camp and the Joffrey Ballet, as well as performing athletic physicals and football game physician coverage for Chicago Public Schools. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. Dr. Shah is an associate master instructor for the Arthroscopy Association of North America. Dr. Shah is considered an expert by his peers and has lectured nationally and internationally on the topic of shoulder and knee injuries. He is also published in multiple peer review journals in orthopaedic surgery. Dr. Shah is a clinical instructor for the University of Illinois College of Medicine Orthopaedic Surgery department, where he helps train and educate future orthopaedic surgeons that are currently in training. He treats athletes at Trinity Christian College as well as from area high schools including Marist HS, Tinley Park HS, Shephard HS, Sandburg HS, Brother Rice HS, St. Rita HS, Providence HS, St. Ignatius HS, and many others from Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. Dr. Shah also treats many injured workers. Dr. Shah gives multiple lectures throughout the Chicagoland area to case managers, workmans compensation adjustors, and physical therapists. Dr. Shah takes extra effort to coordinate the injured workers care with the case manager, adjustor, attorneys, and therapists to provide a safe, efficient and successful return to work plan with minimally invasive operative and non-operative treatment modalities.

Parkview Palos Heights

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Learn about Dr. Shah

I strive to get athletes - high school, college, amateur, professional, and weekend warriors - and workers back to their pre-injury level of activity

Dr. Shah's Experience

Dr. Shah's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Compound Fracture
  • Compression Fracture
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Extra-Articular Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Ligament Disorders

• Elbow Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Elbow Ligament Reconstruction
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Worker's Compensation Evaluations

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Northwestern University McCormick School Of Engineering
  • The Methodist Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2009
  • Baylor and Methodist Sports Medicine Institutes
    Other Education | Completed 2009

Dr. Shah has no media or publications listed.

• Gujarati

Dr. Shah does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shah and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Shah's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shah to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Shah's Performance
in Palos Park |
Had a reverse shoulder replacement and no pain from waking up in recovery through today, 13 weeks later and no complications. Glad I made the decision.
in Hinsdale, IL |
Very happy with our visits. He explained the injury in a way we could understand and what the surgical treatment would be. He was referred to us by nurses and anesthesiologists that work with him in the hospital operating rooms. We have complete confidence in him for our daughters knee injury.
Chicago, IL |
Dr Shah was very good in explain my sons injury.....spent time in explaining every process really liked him
in Chicago, IL |
I highly recommend Dr Shah and the staff at Parkview. My treatment is always of the highest quality and the staff are efficient, effective and personable. Dr Shah performed amazing SCR shoulder surgery and I am delighted with the results from the initial recovery, through therapy and now with restored abilities I thought I could never possess again.
in Tinley Park, IL |
Dr. Shah has the best bedside manner. He has your best interests at heart and is wonderful in explaining things. All of my office visits thus far have not been expected to have good news, but he made the best out of the visit and made me feel as comfortable as I could with the care that he was providing and the options he had to offer for my medical care. I would 100% refer my family and friends to him. He is an exceptional MD.
in Homer Glen, IL |
I was very pleased with the outcome of my surgery. Also, things were explained clearly and there was never a long wait for appointments.
Chicago, IL |
Dr. Shah performed my reconstructive ACL knee surgery and I couldn't be happier I went with him. His personal touch treating you like a patient instead of a number goes a long way. He was excellent at answering all of my questions. In addition I want to recognize his staff at my follow up appointment. Nate Bell was phenomenal! Very knowledgeable, friendly, and detailed. Also, Lauren W goes out of her way to make you feel welcomed and comfortable. Overall great experience with Dr. Shah's team.
in Justice IL |
Dr Shah did rotator cuff surgery on me on March 3,2017. I had a fall on February 12 th and Dr. Shah seen me the next day. From his exam he knew right away what was involved and the MRI confirmed it. He explained the options I had and then told me what he would suggest I do. I'm glad I went to Dr. Shah. So far I am doing great and it's been only four days since I had my surgery. It will be a long recovery ahead of me but Dr. Shah did warn me what to expect.
in Tinley Park, IL |
Very good experience. I had rotator cuff surgery. Dr. Shah is very smart and very good at what he does. He did not rush me at office visits and answered any questions I had. A +
Oak Lawn , IL |
Dr. Shah did a scope & lateral release on both of my knees. I am very happy with the outcome. I have told many friends about him, my brother visited him for a torn rotator cuff & really liked him as well and will be having surgery soon. I am confident it will go good!!
in Frankfort, IL |
Dr. Shah is extremely knowledgeable about knee issues. He took one look at my daughter's knee, he knew the problem. He explained the problem and solution. He took his time to answer questions. My daughter and I were impressed with his wealth of knowledge. We followed Dr. Shah's recommendation for knee surgery. After surgery, my daughter faithfully followed doctor's orders. She has happily returned to playing competitive sports.
Answered my questions. Took time to explain things to me. Highly recommended
in chicago, il |
I took my 15 year old daughter to see DR. SHAH. He found, thru MRI, that she had a fracture of her right tibia. He was very friendly, professional, and down to earth with my daughter. He explained everything in terms we understood and even told her she would be running again and he would ensure she got the proper care and rehabilitation she would need. Right then and there George (who was great too) put a cute baby blue cast on her. I would highly recommend Dr. Shah! Liza Degnan
Palos Hills, IL |
Dr. Shah really took the time to explain my options and then explained the surgical procedure once I made my decision. I was very happy with the outcome of my procedure and would highly recommend him and his staff to friends and family.
in Oak Lawn, IL |
Dr. Shah has great skills very efficient and so intelligent. Had a rotator cuff surgery and a meniscus bucket tear both extremely successful considering my age and health issues. He surrounds the experience with all the phone numbers and information that you may need for immediate help from his staff.
in Oak Lawn, IL |
Dr. Shah was extremely kind and compassionate when working with my son. He thoroughly explained the procedure to me and put my son's mind at ease.
in Chicago |
Dr. Shah is best in class. Very knowledgeable and easy going - more importantly, effective
in Chicago, IL |
Dr Shah spends ample time with me to explain what is going on with my shoulder, my options and answers all of my questions in a way that i can understand.
in New Lenox, IL |
Dr. Shah was very concerned for my overall health not just my response to the orthopedic surgery. He is very friendly and explains everything so you understand not only your short term care but also what you can expect long term
in Chicago, IL |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Shah. He is friendly and approachable. I had minimal pain with the surgery.
Palos Park, IL |
Immediately upon arrival, I was sent for x-rays. Once back at the office, I was called in immediately and a nurse took my history. 5 to 10 minutes later, Dr. Shah arrived, and his personality is such that you feel at ease. He explained what he was doing throughout the exam, and then took the time to illustrate what he believed to be the issue with my knee. He informed me of the different possible diagnoses (dependent upon an MRI) and treatments, and he did not rush through the exam.
in Palos Heights IL |
Dr Shah is a wonderful md, he makes you feel comfortable and explains himself throughly!
in Homer Glen, IL |
Dr. Shah has wonderful "bedside" manners. In addition, you are never rushed during your appointment and he takes his time answering all questions as well as explaining what the situation is. I highly recommend Dr. Shah for your knee, shoulder or elbow orthopedic needs.
in Chicago |
Extremely thorough and explained all the options, and recommendations along the way. I felt like a partner in my own health analyst. Spoke in medical terms I could understand. Great VISIT!!
Great bedside manner and very informative
in Oak Lawn, IL |
Dr. Shah was great. Surgery was not bad and recovery was smooth.
Dr.shah was by far the best surgeon I've ever had. Thanks for the great care
in Hinsdale, IL |
excellent bed side manner. pleasant demeanor always and an excellent surgeon for my family's shoulder and knee problems
in Fitchburg, WI |
Dr, Shah has performed both of my knee reconstructions (same knee). He is extremely knowledgeable and helps patient through the graft decision making process, planning for pre and post surgery, and is able to answer ANY questions you may have regarding your operation. Knee surgery is also a 2-way street IMO, and a patient should come prepared to appointments with questions to help your surgeon make determinations for course of treatment and best possible outcomes.
Have you seen Dr. Nirav Shah, MD?
Are you Dr. Shah?