Cataract Surgery  |
Dr. Niraj Desai, MD
Dr. Niraj Desai is a Board Certified Atlanta ophthalmologist who specializes in cataract surgery, LASIK, and corneal transplant surgery. After completing his undergraduate studies in two years, Dr. Desai began his medical career at the Medical College of Georgia. In medical school, Dr. Desai was active in cutting edge research with the Department of Ophthalmology. He had the opportunity to present his research at national conferences and publish several papers. In addition, Dr. Desai was selected to be a part of a surgical volunteer program at the famed Christian Medical College in Vellore, India during his second year of medical school. After graduating in the top ten percent of his class, Dr. Desai completed an Internal Medicine internship at the University of Hawaii. His ophthalmology residency took him to the University of Texas at San Antonio. During residency, Dr. Desai conducted studies with the United States Air Force in the field of laser surgery. His findings from these studies have been presented at national meetings. Dr. Desai was also recognized with the distinction of having performed the highest number of surgeries in his residency class. A developing interest in cornea and refractive surgery brought Dr. Desai to Southern California where he was chosen to complete a prestigious fellowship in the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of California, Irvine. During his time at UC Irvine, Dr. Desai gained expertise in the realm of complex cataract and anterior segment surgery as well as corneal disease and refractive laser surgery. During his fellowship, he was very active in research related to laser corneal transplants. He also served as clinical instructor at the UC Irvine Medical Center where he supervised resident clinics and surgeries. Since the completion of fellowship, Dr. Desai has been committed to providing outstanding eye care to his patients. He specializes in customized cataract surgery, LASIK, corneal disease and surgery while continuing to participate in research. Dr. Desai enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, playing sports, volunteering, and traveling. He is fluent in Hindi, Gujarati and Medical Spanish.

970 Sanders Rd Ste 100

Cumming, GA 30041

• Alliant Health Plans
  • Evolutions Healthcare Systems
  • NovaNet
  • Private HealthCare Systems
  • USA Managed Care Organization

Learn about Dr. Desai

See how frequently Dr. Desai performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Sjögren's Syndrome
Autoimmune Diseases
high
Corneal Ulcer

Dr. Desai's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Desai "Our objective is simple... to create the most safe, educational, and pleasant surgical experience possible. We realize that you value your vision tremendously, and in return, we value your trust in our abilities."

• Cataract Surgery

• Corneal Ulcer
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration

• LASIK
  • Laser Cataract Surgery
  • Ocular Surface Reconstruction
  • Peripheral Iridotomy
  • Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK)
  • Pterygium Surgery
  • Refractive Lens Exchange
  • Refractive Surgery
  • Repair of Eye Laceration
  • Sutureless Cataract Surgery
  • YAG Iridotomy
  • YAG Laser Capsulotomy
  • YAG Laser Surgery

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• University Of Georgia, Kennesaw State Univesity
  • University Of California At Irvine / California College Of Medicine & Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010

• Gujarati
  • Hindi

Dr. Desai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Desai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Desai's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Desai to family and friends
Dr. Desai's Performance
Bowersville |
Dr. Desai is an excellent doctor who is patient, kind, and caring with his patients. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing eye care.
in Cumming, GA |
I have no complaints at all. Dr. Desai is brilliant and the surgeries were a breeze!
in Gainesville , GA |
Dr Desai is professional, mind-blowingly competent and was very clear in providing information and details on his recommendation for my cataract surgery. My cataract surgery began about 5 weeks ago and the acuity of my vision is beyond my expectation. I have referred several friends and family to him. The practice is run in a very professional way, appointments are on time and exams are very thorough. The entire experience has been very impressive, from assessment to surgery to my follow-ups.
Cumming GA |
I had PRK corrective eye surgery from Dr. Desai and I had a wonderful experience with him. He was professional, timely, educated, and made me feel comfortable and at ease with my decision to have this procedure done. I was very nervous and scared during the procedure and he made me feel calm and I knew I was in good hands. I highly recommend Dr. Desai and Milan Eye Center.
in Cumming, GA |
My experience was fabulous! My surgery was the easiest thing I have ever been through, and with their support it was outstanding. If ALL doctors were like him, we'd have a perfect world.
in Cumming, GA |
I have recommended all of my friends to Dr. Desai!
in Cumming, GA |
My experience with Milan Eye Center has been great! Not having to use my glasses besides for computer work is fantastic, and the staff is impressively quick.
Cumming, GA |
Overall my experience with Milan Eye Center was excellent. It was simple and everyone held my hand throughout the process. Everybody was so pleasant, and one technician, Ashton Thomas even helped me with sending a text to my son, when I couldn't yet see very well. Our surgical coordinator, Elizabeth Fratu explained everything so well and lastly Dr. Desai is the most gorgeous man alive. He's another reason every trip to Milan Eye Center is exciting!
Buford, GA |
My wife and I had both had surgery on one eye and are anxiously awaiting our second surgery in one week. Up until now we have experienced a very professional manner with Dr. Desai and his office staff. Dr. Baker and Dr. Desai have excellent bedside manners. Dr. Desai even called us both on the day of operation to ensure I would be taken care of and relaxed.
Cumming, GA |
I have recommended others to him, he is very personable and extremely caring. I can tell the entire staff gets along- that's what drives a company to success!
in Duluth, GA |
Dr. Desai is an unbelievable ophthalmologist ... caring bedside manner, wonderful listener to your needs, extremely knowledgeable and up to date with most recent innovations. I have never met or had the privilege of being a patient to such an extraordinary doctor and feel extremely blessed that I found him.
Dr Desai was very professional, answers all my questions, had great bedside banner, went above and beyond my expectations and was very friendly . He didn't rush me.
I have 20/20 vision now and no pain. Everybody is very nice and Dr Desai talked me through the whole procedure and gave me all the information pertinent to what was going on. I would recommend him to anyone. My wife had the same experience.
in Cumming, GA |
From the first contact through the post-op visit, I was impressed with each person I came in contact with at Milan Eye Center. They were recommended to me and I'm glad I listened! Dr. Desai walked me through my options and helped me decide what would work for my needs.I would rate their professionalism, expertise and compassion at 5 out of 5. As a former manager of a physician practice, I can recommend Milan Eye Center without reservation. Linda Capranicalh@yahoo
Have you seen Dr. Niraj Desai, MD?
Are you Dr. Desai?