Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery  |
Dr. Nikolas London, MD
Dr. London joined Retina Consultants San Diego in August of 2012 after graduating from one of the most prestigious surgical training programs in the country at the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. He completed his undergraduate training at UCLA, obtained master's degrees at both UCLA and Case Western Reserve University, and completed his medical training at Case Western Reserve University. He completed his Ophthalmology residency at the historic California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, and a two-year vitreoretinal surgery fellowship at the Wills Eye Institute. Dr. London has a strong interest in clinical research. He has authored dozens of peer-reviewed ophthalmology journal articles and book chapters. He has worked with multiple international organizations, including the Lions Eye Foundation and Medicins Sans Frontiers/Doctors Without Borders (MSF). With MSF, Dr. London traveled to Myanmar to treat AIDS patients with severe infections of the retina. Dr. London is committed to helping his patients see better - by bringing the latest, cutting-edge techniques and therapies as well as advancing the field through his own research. Dr. London also prides himself on treating his patients like members of his family, as well as doing his best to lessen the fear patients have of eye disease. His current research projects include looking at ways to reduce scar tissue formation and repeat retinal detachment following retinal detachment repair surgery, and ways to optimize treatment for retinal swelling following retinal vein occlusion. He also is actively involved in writing book multiple chapters and a monthly article for a popular retinal surgery journal. Dr. London has earned several awards during his early career, including Departmental Honors for his masters' studies, multiple research grants, the Starr E. Schulman fellowship from the California Academy for Eye Physicians and Surgeons, the Wayne Erdbrink award from California Pacific Medical Center, the Steuer from the Department of Anatomy at Case Western Reserve University, a Travel Grant from the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, the Deans' Prize for Excellence in Research at UCLA, and the Ron G. Michels Foundation award for the most outstanding surgical fellow in the country in 2011. Dr. London strives to provide excellent, compassionate patient care.

La Jolla Office

9850 Genesee Ave Ste 700

La Jolla, CA 92037

(858) 451-1911

• Amerihealth
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • CHAMPVA
  • ChoiceCare Network
  • Community Health Group
  • Delta Health System
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)

Learn about Dr. London

I strive to provide excellent care and to treat my patients as I would members of my family.

Dr. London's Experience

Dr. London's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery

• Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Edema
  • Retinal Hemorrhage
  • Retinal Tear
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Retinoschisis

• Retinal Laser Surgery
  • Retinal Surgery
  • Scleral Buckling
  • Vitrectomy
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery
  • Vitreous Surgery

No malpractice history found for California.

• U.C.L.A.
  • Case Western Reserve University
    Other Education | Completed 2005
  • U.C.L.A.
    Other Education | Completed 2001

Dr. London has no media or publications listed.

Dr. London does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. London and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. London's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. London to family and friends
Dr. London's Performance
in San Diego, CA |
Great personal rapport, very knowledgeable and thorough and caring. Discovered Dr London looking through an internet search due to flashing lights in my eye. His office got me in that very day and Dr London performed laser surgery immediately to stop a retina detachment. I really owe my sight in my left eye to his detailed examination and expertise in the area. A true Godsend!
Escondido, CA |
I took my 92 year old mom to see Dr. London today for a diagnosis of Macular Degeneration. We were very sad about the diagnosis however thrilled with the treatment, knowledge, and kindness she was treated with. We cannot say enough good about Dr London. We felt very confident at his ability and knowledge.
Carlsbad, CA |
Dr. London is very kind, patient, and amazing as what he does. He and his group do a lot of cutting edge research, particularly in macular degeneration and diabetic eye disease, giving his patients access to next generation treatment options.
Thanks for the kind words. We do love research here and participate in most of the large drug trials, particularly for macular degeneration and diabetic eye disease.
Solana Beach, CA |
Dr. London is very kind, patient, and caring with his patients. I went in to the visit terrified of losing my vision and he explained everything to me very well and told me he would do his best to keep me seeing well for the rest of my life. So so so glad I found him!!
Thank you for the wonderful post. One of the best parts of my job is reassuring patients that I will do my absolute best for them. Most of the eye diseases I see are treatable, and patients often come in scared from things they hear from friends or read on the internet. It is a great thing to be able to minimize those fears.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. London is such an amazing doctor that truly cares about his patients. I recently had a detatched retina. He made me feel completely comfortable in such a scary and uneasy time in my life. He also performed a surgery on my eye to fix the detachment. I am incredibly grateful to have come across such an amazing doctor, if this situation occurred again I would not want anyone else as a doctor. An amazing human being all around. Thank you Dr London for all of your time and help.
Thanks Ashley! You are very kind for posting this. It has been a real pleasure to help. Retinal detachments can be terrifying, especially at a young age, and I'm so happy with how you are doing.
in San Diego, CA |
This doctor is heaven sent. When I went to his office he treated me with kindness and respect. He made me feel at ease. He took his time with me and explained all that was needed to cure my eye. I highly recommend him!
Thank you, Marlene. My patients are like family to me and I'm very glad you are having a good experience.
Amazing! Friendly. Knowledgeable! Highly recommend!
Thanks Gail - I really appreciate the kind words.
in Oceanside, CA |
Dr. London inspires great confidence in his patients. I consulted with him for a second opinion on my macular traction and potential macular degeneration, and was quite reassured that things could be handled with success. I underwent surgery on one eye and now my second eye is being treated with injections. I am very pleased with my treatments, and would highly recommend Dr. London to anyone who needs a retinal specialist.
Thanks so much for the confidence - that is very important to me and I am glad you are happy and doing well.
in Indianapolis, IN |
Having worked in the optical laboratory industry for over 35 years and working with many Ophthalmologists I was blessed to have found Dr. London when visiting from Indiana. I began to loose vision in my right eye, minor panic. Dr London stayed late on New Years Eve to see me and then walked me over to the hospital to perform retina repair surgery at 7:00 pm on New Years Eve!! Wow!! not only highly qualified but also has awesome bed side manner. I would send my family to him in a heart beat!
Thanks so much, Mr. D. I remember our NYE surgery very well. It was a pleasure to help you and I'm lucky I have a very understanding wife! Thanks for keeping me updated on how you're doing back in Indianapolis.
Have you seen Dr. Nikolas London, MD?

Visit Dr. London

Dr. London accepts 28 insurance carriers
  • Amerihealth
    Amerihealth PPO
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • CHAMPVA
  • ChoiceCare Network
  • Community Health Group
    Medi-Cal
  • Delta Health System
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA