Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD

Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 39

Telehealth services available

Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Arlington, VA. He is affiliated with medical facilities Reston Hospital Center and Virginia Hospital Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Nayak to book an appointment.

Office Hours

Virginia Neurosurgeons

Virginia Neurosurgeons1625 N George Mason Dr Ste 445 Arlington, VA 22205
    • Sat: closed

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Nayak is affiliated with Reston Hospital Center Reston, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Reston Hospital Center

Dr. Nayak's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Nayak

Dr. Nayak?
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (44)
  • Explained conditions well (44)
  • Listened & answered questions (43)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (1)
  • Difficult to schedule appointment (1)
  • Staff wasn't friendly (1)
Dr, Nayak is a very caring personable person. He explained things in detail in a way you could understand. He showed us what my back should look like, then what it really looked like. He also explained what needed to be done and the results it would bring. All I can say is after 11 years of back pain, I am now pain free. I have testified to many about the doctor's work. I thank him and I thank God for my healing.
Wilmer Stewart – May 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
It would be hard to imagine a neurosurgeon with more insight than Dr. Nayak. Although I chose to go with another neurosurgeon (for reasons that were unrelated to Dr. Nayak himself) to remove my brain tumor, my encounters with him left me with extraordinary confidence in his capability, insight, and passion for his work. Dr. Nayak personally reviewed my MRIs and then pushed back against the prevailing (and in the end, incorrect) interpretation of them. Not only did he get the diagnosis right, but he correctly predicted the exact type and grade of tumor I had - something which no other expert I consulted was able to do. That doesn't happen by chance. And each step of the way, Dr. Nayak was reassuring, supportive, and compassionate - qualities that are increasingly hard to find in modern medicine. All of this just to say that when you are facing a serious challenge which may require neurosurgery, Dr. Nayak and his team are the ones you want on your team.
Doug – Apr 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak is a skilled surgeon and a caring physician. From our first meeting, he listened carefully, evaluated my case meticulously, and clearly communicated all of my options and his recommendation. This was my third spinal surgery and it was complicated by some other health issues, the passage of time required to address those, and the retirement of the neurosurgeon who did the first two surgeries in the meantime. Dr. Nayak took it all into account and mapped out a path forward with the greatest chance of success. I’m so thankful to have ended up under his care and able to walk again!
Apr 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak and his team are amazing. He performed major brain surgery on me, and it was a tremendous success. I felt great right after surgery, and was able to go home within two days. Six weeks later I still feel fantastic and am back to my normal work and exercise routines. His great surgery was also validated by several other independent experts (at Johns Hopkins, Georgetown and the University of Virginia) who reviewed my post-operative MRIs. In addition, Dr. Nayak took the time to build a relationship with me and my family ahead of the surgery, making sure that we understood the procedure, the need for it and what I would experience during recovery. He has a fantastic bed-side manner and a great sense of humor, which I found very comforting during a very stressful time. The entire staff at Virginia Neurosurgeons, his office, have been incredibly helpful and responsive throughout, handling all of my post-operative visits, questions and needs with care, quickly and efficiently.
Apr 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
My experience with Dr. Nayak was excellent. I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis as a child and thought it might have something to do with general back pain I had been experiencing off and on for a while. Dr. Nayak was honest and direct with his assessment that my issues came most likely came from poor sleep hygiene. His explanation was clear, easy to understand, and polite. I especially appreciated his patience in giving me the time to fully explain my issues and ask questions. Sure enough with better sleep hygiene and a new mattress my back issues improved significantly. Ultimately I think that Dr. Nayak saved me a lot of time and hassle with his expertise.
Jason – Apr 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
I was admitted to the hospital for symptoms of upper and lower extremity numbness, I had a million dollar work up MRI’s and cat scans. I saw Dr.Nayak’s PA but only saw the Dr. him self on the day I was discharged 5 days later. And a Neurologist they both kept saying there was nothing wrong with me, we don’t know what your problem is. They were making me feel like I was crazy! I was discharged after five days and got a second opinion it turns out I had a herniated disc in my neck that was causing all my symptoms a neurosurgeon picked it out right away! So did Dr. Nanak even look at my MRI images or did he just go off of the radiology report which was grossly inaccurate.in any event use caution and get a second opinion if you are ever in this situation and if you feel something is wrong seek that second opinion. Very disappointed that I suffered so much longer then I needed to.
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Mar 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak came very highly recommended from my primary care physician, who is also a close friend. Dr. Nayak was one of four surgeons I met with prior to choosing a surgeon to treat me. Dr. Nayak's approach to my exam was comprehensive and thoughtful. Unlike other surgeons who conducted a "cursory examine" and simply looked at the MRIs. After a full exam, Dr. Nayak reviewed the MRI images with me, taking time to explain exactly what we were seeing and what problems existed. Once I understood the problem, he explained the various methods of resolving my issues. He empowered me to understand what we were going to do, why, what the highest probability outcomes were, what potential challenges we may face, and what results we were looking for. Armed with this knowledge I was able to make a confident decision and arrived at my surgery date fully informed and comfortable. The results exceeded my expectations in every way. My pain and limited mobility were fully resolved.
Rob Reich – Jan 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
My experience with Dr. Nayak was top notch. I was very fortunate to be referred to him by my doctor. My surgery was successful and I feel better than ever! I truly recommend his services to anyone.
Teresa V. – Nov 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr Nayak was very knowledgeable and supportive. He made referrals for an MRI and for PT. I appreciated his comcern and deep knowledge.
Dan Hawkins – Nov 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
I had spine and lower back surgery done by Dr Nayak last year in July and December and I'm I am doing great, the pain with my legs and the numbness is almost completely gone and my lower back pain is less. I meet him in may 2019 with the first appointment and felt like we ( my wife and I ) had been going to him for years and also felt very comfortable having him do both surgerys I needed. Thank You Dr Nayak
Frank P Michie Jr – May 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
I recommend Dr. Nayak without reservation as a highly skilled surgeon who also has great communication skills and a truly caring manner. It's hard not to sound excessively effusive when a doctor saves your life but in the case of Dr. Nayak, it is true. He did save my life. This Feb., I entered the VHS ER with back pain which turned out to be a bacterial infection in my spine (with spread to other areas and the bloodstream). Within hours of this diagnosis, Dr. Nyack performed surgery on my lumbar spine to clear out this infection. He could have handed me off to the infectious disease docs at this point but he stayed involved with my case throughout my entire 16 day hospital stay. His follow-up has been great, too, and he and his wonderful staff are very responsive. I appreciated his sincere concern and his ability to explain things clearly and simply. I hope I never need neurosurgery again, but if I do, there is no doubt I will contact Dr. Nayak.
Susan Dykstra – Apr 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak is a brilliant surgeon. His surgery saved me from a potentially very serious situation. His surgical skills, knowledge and conscientious communication are superb.
Mar 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak is an exceptional surgeon who fixed my lower back problems in January 2020 after considering a range of options. He worked with me on my other medical issue which might affect the surgery. I found him straight forward and responsive to my situation. The exceptional results in my case speak for themselves. Highly recommended.
J. Pardew – Mar 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak explained the procedure fully before surgery and reviewed all of the options with me. He took the time to answer all of my questions and addressed all of my concerns by going over the pros and cons of surgery. I was in constant pain in the weeks leading up to the surgery due to a herniated disc. He did a wonderful job. I returned home just hours after the surgery. Relief was immediate. There were no complications and, at six weeks out, I believe that I can say that I am my old self again. I am very glad that I had the surgery and enthusiastically recommend Dr. Nayak!
Bob – Mar 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak performed a craniotomy on my husband to remove a tumor that was found unexpectedly. From the consultation in the hospital to surgery and subsequent follow-up to discuss pathology results that weren’t ideal, Dr. Nayak provided phenomenal care. He has a straightforward, yet sensitive approach and explains everything in great detail. It’s also worth noting that the incision on my husband’s head was impeccable - the precision was beyond what we could’ve hoped for. His credentials and reviews speak for themselves. We are thankful to have been connected with Dr. Nayak in what has been a very challenging situation.
Katie F – Feb 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Prior to seeing Dr. Nayak I was in daily pain. He operated on me 4/2/2019 and since then I have had no back pain or sciatica problems. When I email him with questions, he responds promptly. I recommend to anyone having chronic pain to make an appointment with him. One last point, I am 80 years old.
JOSEPH R. LIBBY, FAIRFAX, VA – Oct 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
After many years of neck and what I though was ear pain, I wound up with a flare up and referred to Dr. Nayak by my internist. Terrified can barely describe my state of mind when I first heard the words neck, surgery, anterior, and incision spoken together. It took no time for the panic to subside as he explained what was needed and answered all my questions patiently and simply. To his surgical skills I can only say my surgery came off without a hitch, the unrelenting pain is history, and the recovery uneventful. As a doctor and a human being, I have found him to be the most compassionate, attentive, and professional physician I’ve ever been in the care of and a gentleman. I would describe him as a perfectionist, ethical to a fault, and completely dedicated to his life’s work. Being in the care of him and his team has been an epiphany for me. If you scare easily and neurosurgery an possibility, this awesome man is your doc.
Cecile St. Julien – Sep 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Had a brain bleed and Dr. Nayak drilled to burr holes to relieve the pressure.
Sep 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak performed an emergency crainiotomy to remove a blood clot from my brain after I fainted and hit my head two years ago. He explained my options clearly and knowledgeably, and he made me feel calm and comfortable despite the stressful situation. They surgery was very successful, and two years later, I have had no complications. My scar has healed completely, and no one can tell I underwent such a serious operation. Dr. Nayak was very attentive and answered all my questions after the surgery. He saved my life, and I will be forever grateful that I had Dr. Nayak as my doctor.
Larissa K. – Aug 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?
Dr. Nayak turned my life around through text-book spinal surgery to fuse my L4/L5/S1 vertebra. He took the time to clearly explain the procedure and risks in detail before this very difficult six hour surgery which was performed with zero complications. There has been dramatic improvement in my abilities to walk and stand for extended periods. I recommend him without reservation.
John Schade – Aug 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Nayak?

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check Dr. Nayak's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Nayak's Top Procedures and Conditions

Osteoarthritis of Spine
high
high

Dr. Nayak treats Osteoarthritis of Spine more than 90% of his peers

Dr. Nayak treats this condition more than 90% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Nayak treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 89% of his peers

Dr. Nayak treats this condition more than 89% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care
Low Back Pain

• Cavernous Malformation of Spine
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty
  • Kyphosis
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Microsurgical Spine Surgery
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebral Fracture

Dr. Nayak accepts

Dr. Nayak accepts the following insurance:

Select
Medicare
Tricare
Worker's Compensation
Worker's Compensation WC

Dr. Nikhil Nayak, MD, FAANS is a board-certified, fellowship-trained neurological surgeon with advanced training in spinal disorders. He specializes in...Read more

• Neurosurgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Wellington Hosp, New Zealan
University Of Pennsylvania (Upenn)
University Of Pennsylvania (Upenn)
Georgetown University/Washington