Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD

Dr. Newsum
Telehealth services available

Orlando Hand Surgery Associates

801 N Orange Avenue And Ste 600-630 Orlando, FL 32801

Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Orlando, FL. Dr. Newsum has more experience with Hand & Wrist Surgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as AdventHealth Celebration and Adventhealth Orlando. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Newsum to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Surgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Newsum is affiliated with Adventhealth Orlando Orlando, a highly rated and top awarded hospital for orthopedic surgery.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Florida

Frequently Treated by Dr. Newsum

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Newsum treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Newsum treats other conditions, please contact the office at (407) 841-2100.

Hand & Wrist Surgery

Hand and wrist conditions including arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's contracture, and fractures or sprains, with treatment options such as surgery or physical therapy.Compare with other Hand & Wrist Surgery specialists.

Dr. Newsum is experienced in the area of Hand & Wrist Surgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 24 conditions and procedures

• Excision of Metacarpal and Carpal
  • Excision of Radius or Ulna
  • Excision of Scapula, Clavicle, Rib, or Sternum
  • Finger Joint Replacement Surgery
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand or Wrist Tendon Transfer
  • Hand Tendon Repair
  • Humerus Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Lupus
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Wrist Fracture
  • Wrist Replacement
  • Wrist Surgery

Dr. Newsum accepts

Dr. Newsum accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Select HMO

Dr. Newsum's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Newsum

Dr. Newsum?
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (90)
  • Staff friendliness (90)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (90)
  • Long wait times (2)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Office environment (1)
I lacerated my thumb pretty severely with a food processor blade and cut my flexor tendon, vessels and nerve in that finger. Completely. By miracle, I found Dr. Newsum who saved my thumb and got me back to full use and full duty in 12 weeks! He is one of the most amazing, thorough, most professional physicians I have ever been cared by. His office staff was also great and helpful. Always a positive environment every follow up appointment I had. I am so grateful for him. Thank you Dr. Newsum for choosing to become a hand surgeon. I would not have wanted anyone else to care for me and my thumb!!!
Luisina Matile – Mar 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Dr. Newsum is a phenomenal surgeon. He demonstrates professionalism, empathy and sincere concern for his patients. He was my second opinion after a car accident and I am so happy to have found him. Fast forward six months, my shoulder is better than it has ever been! Thank you, Dr. Newsum!
Jan 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
I have seen Dr Newsum several times and think he is an excellent physician. If you need a hand surgeon I highly recommend him.
Elizabeth Juckem – Dec 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Dr Newsum was very knowledgeable about my issues. We discussed the options, and decided on the plan of action for both of my fingers. Both procedures turned out excellent!!!
Dec 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Dr. Newsum and his team are the best around. I cut my knuckles and extension tendons (3) , 12 weeks after surgery I’m back to full duty at work with no limitations. Workmen’s Comp. gave me the complete runaround for the first three weeks after injury. This injury needs to be fixed within 3 to 10 days. So after approval from comp I called dr newsum to tell him the news and he wanted me in that day to do Preop and reevaluate the injury because of three weeks later he was completely booked the next day for surgery and still had me come in and I was the last to have surgery at 5:30 pm. Dr newsum personally met with my mother to tell her that surgery went well at about 7:15pm. I’m 24 and thought for sure the use and functionality of my hand was going to be jacked for life, 15 and half weeks from Injury I get to return to work. Thank you Dr. newsum and your team
Daniel C. – Dec 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
I am highly recommending Dr Newsum. I had carpal tunnel in both of my hands and had the surgery a few months apart. My one hand was so bad I could not sleep at night. I waited much to long to have it done. Dr Newsum always took his time to fully explain how the surgery will go and what to except days and weeks after. I never felt rushed with his visits. If you are in pain and was thinking about having the surgery done don't wait like I did. Have it done.
Bernard Scarpa – Dec 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
my husband was packing his gun when it went off and hit his left index finger all the doctors he saw said he will lose the finger. when Dr. Nicholas Newsum can in told my husband he is here to try and save his finger. He is the best he has great bedside manners, he is very patience we asked lots of question he takes the time to talk to you to make sure you know what has to be done on his side and our side he listen to my husband at the doctors office told him how long it will take to heal and what he can and cannot do We recommend his to one of his coworker and he made a appointment and he likes him also so if you every need a hand to shoulder to be fixed make an appointment with DR. Nicholas Newsum
Steve Verhoest – Dec 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Dr. Newsum was phenomenal. He took the time, listened to my concerns and was able to diagnose my condition. He is very personable and has terrific bedside manner. Once my surgery day arrived, he explained every aspect of the procedure and personally called me the following day to ensure I was recovering well and to make sure I did not need anything. I 100% recommend Dr. Newsum and will definitely return to him if the need ever arises. #1 in my book!
Patti – Nov 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Dr Newsum is an incredible surgeon. I originally went to Dr Newsum for a Shoulder issue based on his stellar ratings and fellowship training . Shortly afterward I had an accident and broke my finger that needed surgery. The procedure, the aftercare and the recovery all exceeded expectations. I can't recommend him enough to anybody in need of hand or shoulder care. Thank you Dr. Newsum!
Jim W. – Nov 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Having struggled with shoulder pain for five years and consulting a variety of doctors, I am pain free and thrilled with the outcome from my surgery under Dr. Newsum's expert care. I am grateful and wholeheartedly endorse Dr. Newsum and OHSA.
Anne – Sep 02, 2020
Hi! Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Over the past few weeks, I had a condition that needed review by a hand specialist. I found Dr Newsum was in-network for my insurance, so I made an appointment. I went to the Celebration Place office, which is a beautiful location. On my initial visit, Dr Newsum offered me 3 different solutions to my condition. I think he was surprised when I immediately selected my choice and scheduled my minor surgery. I was scheduled for the 1st procedure on a Monday morning in Orlando. Dr Newsum came in, spoke to me, asked if I have any questions, and in just a little over 1-hour I was in recovery. My surgery went perfectly, and today (two weeks later) I was back in his office for my follow-up visit. I was given a clear bill of health. I found that Dr Newsum was easy to talk to, very thorough, explained everything to me, and I felt very comfortable with his opinion. I think that is what made me trust Dr Newsum, and have no regrets. I would absolutely recommend his services.
Michael – Sep 01, 2020
Hi Michael! Thank you for your kind words. I...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
We saw Dr. Newsum for my daughter when she broke her thumb. When we saw him he told us she would need surgery with pins (I thought that may be the case). He was amazing, he made myself and my daughter (most importantly) at ease with having surgery. He explained everything and made sure we had enough time to ask all of our questions. The day of surgery was nerve wracking as my daughter is only 9 but he again made sure that we had all of our questions answered and promised my husband and I that he would keep us updated and he did. As soon as surgery was finished, he came out and explained everything to us and again put our minds at ease. At follow up when she had her pins removed, it was very rough and uncomfortable for my daughter but he was extremely patient and allowed for breaks between the pins. I’m sure he was busy but we wouldn’t have known as we never felt rushed. I hope we don’t have a need for orthopedic surgery again but if we did we would absolutely go to him.
Altemose – Jul 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Dr. Newsum is the most understanding and caring physician I have ever met and at 67 I've met a bunch of them. He also has a GREAT support team. OHSA keeps the Care in Healthcare!
Tom Polk – Jul 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
I can’t imagine anyone could find a better surgeon! I have had at least 8 visits with him and at each one he was so personable and caring. He always had time for all my questions. Clinically, I found him to be superior! I was told by a previous hand surgeon that the planned carpectomy could no longer be done because the arthritis had progressed too far, the only surgical option would be a full fusion, which would not be recommended. The injections were not relieving my pain anymore. Then I saw Dr. Newsum; he said that was all true, but a CT scan might reveal that there is still a window to do the carpectomy. The CT scan showed the possibility existed for the carpectomy. I had the surgery and it required some added tissue. Today I am pain free and have almost normal use of my right hand. Dr. Newsum phoned me the day after my surgery and encouraged me to do the finger exercises despite the pain, “0r I wouldn’t be doing myself any favors.” I did that and it greatly helped my recovery.
Carol Beaulieu – Jun 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Dr. Newsum was amazing. He did a wonderful job with my wrist surgery. He took the time to properly diagnose my situation and did such a good job with my wrist surgery. I would recommend this doctor to anyone who needs orthopedic hand surgery. Thank you again to the staff as well. They were all so great.
Maria Ortega – May 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
I have had the privilege of working with one of the more if not most reputable hand surgeons in central Florida. I suffered what was called a boxer’s fracture according to my tae kwon do master. Dr. Newsum helped my hand heal properly. He was clear on what options were in the beginning. He walked me through the entire process of the surgery and post-op. He answered every question and address every concern. My hand is well on its way to recovering full usage, and I am excited to get back to my Tae kwon do!
LMFS – May 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
Does Dr. Newsum look young? Yes, absolutely. Is that a reason to not employ him as your physician? No way. I'm 50 years old and Dr. Newsum handled my distal bicep tear like a 40 year veteran. This physician really knows what he's doing and takes the time to explain what he's going to do with pictures and in layman's terms. Surgery was flawless. Bedside manner was very personable and follow up to recovery was consistent throughout all 12 weeks. Don't take a chance with someone else....Dr. Newsum will make you like new again. Thanks Doc!
Mark V. – Apr 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
I broke my finger back in January. Doctor Newsum was available the next day on Friday for me to see him. He confirmed that it was broken and that I would need surgery. He was able to get me scheduled for surgery that Monday. I was nervous because I hate needles but Doctor Newsum was very reassuring. He answered all my questions and made me feel comfortable. The surgery went smoothly. I didn't feel anything. After surgery, I had some follow up appointments. Doctor Newsum always took the time to explain everything to me and made sure I had everything I needed. I even used one of the physical therapy places he recommended. He was extremely polite and professional. I highly recommend him and will go back should I ever need to.
Alysa Dawn Haverly – Apr 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
My experience with Dr. Newsum was outstanding. He has a great bedside manner and placed me at ease for surgery, both prior to and after surgery. I witnessed a great experience and would highly recommend Dr. Newman and OHSA for medical assessment and treatment.
Joann Porter – Feb 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?
I recently had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands under Dr. Newsum's care. While he does not recommend it, and it wasn't easy to both hands at once, he respected the demands on my time and accommodated my request. The surgery and recovery process were exactly as he explained, prior to the procedure, his office staff was helpful and responsive, and Dr. Newsum's patience, kindness, and professionalism made the experience a success. I highly recommend his practice and his care.
Great experience under the care of Dr. Newsum! – Feb 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Newsum?

Whether it is a fracture, arthritis, a congenital difference, or tendonitis that is limiting your hand, it can be quite frustrating to deal with because...Read more

I knew I wanted to become a hand surgeon during my 4th year of medical school when I was on a sub-internship in hand surgery.  Orthopaedic surgery,...Read more

• General Hand Surgery
  • Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
  • Orthopedic Hand Surgery
  • Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery

Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Ill.
University of Florida / Shands Medical Center
University Of Toledo College of Medicine (Formerly McO)
University Of Colorado