Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD

Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD

Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery  ·
Male
Dr. Nicholas Newsum, MD is a hand and upper extremity surgery specialist in Lakeland, FL and has been practicing for 7 years. He graduated from University Of Toledo College Of Medicine in 2011 and specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery, orthopedic surgery, and more.Read his story

2300 E County Road 540A

Lakeland, FL 33813

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida

Learn about Dr. Newsum

Dr. Newsum's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Newsum "I knew I wanted to become a hand surgeon during my 4th year of medical school when I was on a sub-internship in hand surgery. Orthopaedic surgery, and hand surgery in particular, to me exemplify the two main goals of modern medicine: to reduce pain and restore function. This concept is what frames my approach to patient care and was instilled in me during residency at the University of Florida in Gainesville and during fellowship at Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush University Medical Center. I returned to central Florida after fellowship because I have always loved the area from the outdoor activities to the people and I look forward to contributing to Lakeland community for years to come."

This content was provided by Dr. Newsum "Whether it is a fracture, arthritis, a congenital difference, or tendonitis that is limiting your hand, it can be quite frustrating to deal with because it interferes with every day tasks regardless of your hobbies, occupation or activity level.  We need our hands for basically everything we do and I respect this fact, which has only grown the further I have progressed in my practice.

I aim to treat the whole patient and not just their x-rays or lab tests.  I believe many conditions can be treated without surgery and I am up to date on the latest research regarding problems of the hand, wrist and elbow in children and adults.  I am eager to tailor a solution that works best for you and I don't think there is a single recipe for success or good treatment.  If surgery does happen to be the best option for you, I have been trained by some of the nation's leading experts in the field and I am experienced in minimally invasive techniques to help minimize pain and hasten your recovery."

• Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
  • Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery

Dr. Newsum does not have any board certifications listed.

• Arthritis of the Hand

Internship Hospital | Completed
  • University Of Florida / Shands Medical Center
  • Rush University Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Newsum has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Newsum has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Newsum does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Newsum and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Newsum's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Newsum to family and friends

After a pretty nasty index finger fracture, Dr. Newsum was able to schedule me for x-rays and a consultation the immediate next morning. Fortunately I did not need surgery, but Dr. Newsum explained my expected healing process and managed my expectations very well. I saw him a total of 6 times over...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Great surgeon who is upfront and honest. Physical therapists who work with his patients are impressed with his handy work. I would recommend Dr. Newsum to family and friends.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Friendly and willing to spend time with patient to reassure them its all ok.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Best Dr. ever. I broke both my wrist. Had surgery on one of them. Doing well now. He’s very kind and thorough. I will miss seeing him and Brook. Thanks for all you have done for me.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option2thumbs down icon option0
He worked well with my 11-year-old son. He was gentle and cared about not causing him any unnecessary pain. He has a great bedside manner! Talked books with my son!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0