Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 41

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD is an Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Falmouth, ME and has over 11 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Columbia University / College of Physicians And Surgeons in 2012. He is affiliated with medical facilities Maine Medical Center and Mainegeneral Medical Center. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD

5 Bucknam Rd Ste 1D Falmouth, ME 04105
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement Award™ See hospitals

Get better prescription prices

Optum Perks and Healthgrades are subsidiaries of RVO Health.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Maine

Check Dr. Colacchio's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Colacchio's Top Procedures and Conditions

Complications of Joint Prosthesis

Dr. Colacchio treats Complications of Joint Prosthesis more than 99% of his peers

Dr. Colacchio treats this condition more than 99% of his peers

Osteoarthritis

Dr. Colacchio treats Osteoarthritis more than 97% of his peers

Dr. Colacchio treats this condition more than 97% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Osteoarthritis of Ankle
  • Osteoarthritis of Elbow
  • Osteoarthritis of Finger Joint
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
  • Osteoarthritis of Toe
  • Osteoarthritis of Wrist
Hide other areas of care
Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

• Chondrocalcinosis
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Arthritis
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Dr. Colacchio accepts

Dr. Colacchio accepts the following insurance:

Select
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care PPO

Dr. Colacchio's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Colacchio

After spending some time limping around in pain my Primary Care Physician ordered an x-ray that showed my left hip was bone on bone. I consulted a local Orthopedic Surgeon who said I needed a total hip replacement and he would be glad to do it for me. I asked if he did the muscle sparing procedure known as the "Direct Anterial Approach". He said he did not but told me that Dr. Nicholas Colacchio is the doctor who has perfected this procedure. I researched Dr. Colacchio and found all reviews were 5 stars. I then called for an appointment. The entire experience was complete starting with another x-ray and explanation about everything. Surgery day went so smooth. Everyone at the Maine Medical Center was so nice and professional. Dr. Colacchio and his team worked their magic and the surgery went better than I had expected. If I need another hip replacement I will definitely trust my surgery to Dr. Colacchio and his team, which are truly 5-star.
Richard Ociepka – Nov 29, 2022
Young Total Hip Replacement
I broke my hip at 15 years old and lived with arthritic pain for a long time. Being so young I was nervous about replacement, ultimately deciding to go through with replacement at 33 years of age. Dr. Colacchio helped me become very comfortable with the procedure and my long-term prospects. The surgery was very smooth, and recovery (while long by nature) has been easier than expected. It feels wonderful to finally chase my children around the yard!
Sep 22, 2022
Absolutely amazing
I found Dr Collachio after two failed hip surgeries. I have two two young children and for over two years I was in a lot of pain and couldn’t be active with them. Also living an active life for me is an essential piece for a strong quality of life. Before finding Dr. Collachio I thought that was gone for me. The guy is an absolute miracle worker. After having him perform the revision surgery I got my life back. Within 3-6 months I was able to be pain free and was back to my daily workouts. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Collachio for giving me back my life. You can’t find a more skilled doctor and on top of that he is extremely personable and humble. He is a true gift to the Maine community and his impeccable reviews support it.
Greg M – Mar 02, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
November 2021 TKR. A number of people I trusted recommended Dr. Colacchio for consultation regarding troublesome knee. After review of my background info and X-rays with me, he suggested elective TKR surgery (elective, he explained, is needed but patient decides or elects when) At that point I wanted sooner rather than later. I credit what I feel have been excellent results, with Dr. Colaccio and his office staff (Noelle, IRN and Patrick P.A.) and the surgery and recovery support teams at Maine Medical Center in Portland. All done while having to deal with less than "normal" circumstances due to the pandemic influence on the health care systems currently
MikeCousins – Jan 25, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
Dr. Colacchio recently performed total replacement surgery on one of my hips. I had reached the point where I was limping badly and my hip and thigh were in nearly constant pain. Within a few days after the surgery the hip pain was almost gone, except for area around the incision. Within a month, all the pain was gone and I was walking normally. Surprisingly, the frequent muscle pains in my lower back-- which I had thought was a separate problem--were also gone within weeks. Dr. Colacchio explained every aspect of the surgery and recovery in great detail. He and his staff are very attentive and professional. I couldn't have imagined a better outcome.
Peter Werwath – Dec 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I fell and broke my hip, so had no time to do research on surgeons. After a long over night in the emergency department, I am eternally grateful that I ended up with Dr. Colacchio! He is truly a gifted surgeon. After a total hip replacement I had no pain, swelling, or bruising…how can that be? He must be magical! He listened to my concerns and answered my questions both before and after surgery. If I need another joint replacement, or know someone who did, he would be the guy!
Marie Clements – Nov 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
My wife and I have literally cried because we are so grateful to have found Dr. Colacchio. I had a hip replacement in March 2020 which resulted in numerous infections and procedures by a different surgeon. We honestly feel like I could have died before we switched surgeons and hospitals. Dr. Colacchio had to spent a total of 11 hours cleaning up infection and repairing a fracture the other surgeon had caused. Now finally on the road to recovery, we will never forget the kindness, compassion, and skill displayed by this brilliant young surgeon.
Nov 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I had a total knee replacement done by Dr. Nicholas Colacchio on May 21, 2021. I was understandably somewhat anxious prior to the surgery. Dr. Colacchio and his staff were great to work with. I was already doing physical therapy prior to the surgery, and this helped a lot with the post-surgery recovery. I also attended one of the knee replacement classes hosted by Maine Medical Center which helped me understand what to expect with the surgery and post-op recovery. However, the biggest benefit was Dr. Colacchio and his staff. I was able to ask questions by calling in or through the patient portal, and got quick, helpful responses. They were also very helpful with the insurance and short-term disability paperwork. I highly recommend working with this wonderful group of people if you need to have a joint replacement done.
M Carnell – Jul 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I had a PKR. Everything leading up to and including post operative visit was top flight. Dr. Colacchio and staff were top notch. He explained everything that was going to happen and he was attentive to all my needs and questions. 2 months after surgery, I am nearly back to normal, being able to do 90% of what I was previously able to do, with no discomfort.
LBD – Jul 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I would definitely recommend Dr. Colacchio to my friends and family! I was referred to him by my sister who had recently had her hip replaced. Dr. Colacchio replaced my hip this past May and I was so happy with him, Patrick, his PA and his nurse Noel! They took their time with me and answered all of my questions. You could tell that they love what they do everyday and my quality of life has improved so much! I have a great life and two wonderful young grandsons but I couldn't do the things I wanted to do. My new hip is allowing me to live my life to the fullest thanks to Dr. Colacchio and his wonderful staff!
Jul 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
In November 2020, I had a much needed hip joint replacement during the pandemic. The ENTIRE team at Maine Med was amazing from start to finish. From x-rays to education, everyone did their jobs to perfection! They answered every question, explained every step and ensured I knew what to expect during recovery and was prepared. But the icing on the cake was when Dr. Colacchio called me at home the night before surgery to see if I had any remaining unanswered questions and to reassure me that all would be ok and that I should have a nice dinner and try to get a good nights rest. Love him!!! I've never heard of a surgeon ding this before. (All you surgeons out there take notice!) He was in my room within hours to check on me. I loved that he showed me the fluoroscope images for each step of the replacement. Very fascinating! This is your surgeon, if you want respectful, compassionate, competent and thorough care. you could not be in better hands. I can't thank you enough, Dr. Colacchio!
Laurie B. – Jul 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
Highly recommend Dr. Colacchio. I initially started out in Augusta and went to him in search of a surgeon I was more comfortable with in dealing for my hip replacement. He was great! Took the time to explain, answered all my questions and made me feel very comfortable. He even checked in via phone the night before my operation. Everything went smooth as planned and I am pain free and moving around like a young man again. I am so pleased with the results I have gotten from his practice and would recommend him to anyone needing hip replacement surgery. Thank you!
Peter Dionne – Jun 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I also work in the Medical career. I was extremely pleased with all staff, the professionalism. I had a TKR. I recovered and am doing great after 4wks.
Darlene Edgerly – Jun 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I can't begin to give my accolades for Dr Colacchio.First of all he is so kind and patient friendly.Because of Covid my surgery was postponed several times. Dr Colacchio himself called me to let me know and see how I was doing.He also called personally the night before surgery.It was so reassuring to hear from him. I had my left knee replaced and between Dr Colacchios surgery and the block they gave me pre-op I had NO pain.Maybe a litle discomfort but for he most part it was a breeze.I myself am a healthcare provider and Dr Colacchio treated me(and I'm sure his all his other patients) with a soothing bedside manner and excellent skills. If and when my other knee needs replacement, I will be returning to Dr Colacchio. Thanks to the entire team!
Kathy G Dahms – Jun 01, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I'm a 72 year old man that fell and broke his left hip while xcountry skiing in Glen NH at 4pm on a Friday afternoon. I was transported to memorial hospital in Conway NH then to Main medical arriving about midnight, that's when my bad luck changed ! because Dr Colacchio happened to be the orthopedic surgeon covering that Friday night. I talked to him briefly that night then again the next morning at 8am in pre surgery. he reassured me that I was in good hands and a hip replacement would give me the best out come. knowing I didn't have many options I asked him how many hip replacement operations have you done and he said a lot it's my signature operation, I said go for it! So in less than 24 hours from my accident I was laying in recovery with a new left hip and in a lot less pain. I just had my 6week follow up appointment and the hip replacement has been a total success. I can't thank Dr Colacchio enough and would highly recommend him for any hip replacements. :)
May 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I can't tell you how pleased Will Dr Colacchio!!! I gave him a very hard hip replacement to deal with but he did a wonderful job. I just can't believe how well he did. His entire office was wonderful. Best ever!!! Thank you Dr Colacchio
Bonnlynn Wood – Apr 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I found out I needed a knee replacement due to degenerative arthritis. I'm only 53 and was terrified, but knew that I would ruin my good knee if I kept using it to overcompensate. Dr. Colacchio was wonderful. He was very patient and kind - I had a ton of questions but he continued to ask me if there was anything else I wanted to know. He personally called me before and after surgery to make sure I was ready and to ensure that I was recovering well. The recovery went much better than I expected and the scar is healing well and is much less conspicuous than I thought it would be. The surgery went well, and I did not experience any nausea following surgery - that is a first for me and was a huge relief. I went home the same day due to COVID restrictions. I was fine at home. I had questions a few times and called the office and they responded quickly - it's a very efficient system. I would highly recommend Dr. Colicchio.
Mar 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
This organization is the very best at keeping every aspect of the surgical proceedure transparent and organized. Dr Colacchio has a wonderful bed-side manner, very calm and heartfelt. His team is well qualified to perform the pre and post surgical tasks in a welcoming and reassuring manner. Overall Dr Colacchio and his team provided the best Orthopedic Surgeon support I have ever had (and I've had several!). I'm recommending them with my whole heart, and appreciate their care and kindness.
Jan 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
At 72 years old I had debilitating pain on my right side which (because of long-standing back issues) proved difficult to determine the source of. I had been using a walker for nearly the past year and after several steroid injections with little relief I was finally referred to Dr. Colacchio. He quickly determined that my right hip had severe end-stage osteoarthritis and I needed a total hip replacement. I had that surgery at 7:30 one morning and at 6 the same evening I was walking with a physical therapist and a walker; with less pain than I had walking into the hospital that same morning. Dr. Colacchio was fabulous in every respect. I cannot say enough good things about him. He is helpful, extremely skillful, compassionate, a great communicator, and more. Now at 9 weeks post-surgery I am pain free and walking with no limp at all. Dr. Colacchio tells me that healing won't be complete for a year, but I feel like I did 20 years ago!
Bob Bertram – Jan 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?
I’m 8 weeks out from hip replacement surgery and dong great thanks to Dr. Colacchio and his team. The experience was so much better than I anticipated. Dr. Colacchio was very patient, calming and supportive. Recovery was easy and comfortable. I would not hesitate o recommend him to anyone needing hip replacement surgery.
Tammy Butts – Dec 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Nicholas Colacchio, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Colacchio?