Dr. Mustafa Sahin, MD

Pediatric Neurology | Male

Dr. Mustafa Sahin, MD
I have dedicated my career to investigating the basic mechanisms by which nerve cells communicate with one another and caring for patients with neurological conditions in whom these processes have gone awry. During my PhD work, I studied a group of enzymes expressed in the developing brain. This immersion in neurodevelopment contributed to my decision to pursue child neurology training. After training as a child neurologist, I returned to the lab and investigated basic mechanisms of how the brain gets wired. As an independent physician-scientist, I turned my focus to Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC), a neurogenetic disorder associated with epilepsy, intellectual disability and autism. My laboratory has identified several steps during brain development in which genes that cause TSC play crucial roles. As director of the multi-disciplinary TSC clinic at Boston Children's Hospital (BCH), I am in a unique position to translate our basic science findings to TSC patients. My goal is to translate insights gained from studying brain development to improvements in patient care through early detection, treatment and prevention of problems associated with TSC and related neurological diseases.

Dr. Sahin's Care Philosophy

I chose child neurology as a specialty because of my fascination with how the brain develops. Child neurology as a field is going through an immense change. We are moving from just describing symptoms and giving clinical diagnoses to actually figuring our what gene or mechanism is causing the disease and in some cases offering mechanism-based treatments. Both in the lab and in the clinic, my goal is to bring new treatments to childhood neurological diseases and improve the lives of children and families affected by these conditions.

Dr. Sahin's Experience

See how Dr. Sahin's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Sahin

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Sahin has admitting privileges.

Dr. Sahin's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Are you Dr. Sahin?

Compare Dr. Sahin

Dr. Sahin says...

Dr. Sahin's Care Philosophy

Dr. Sahin's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Pediatric Neurology
    •  Board certified in Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology

Dr. Sahin has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

Why It Matters: Dr. Sahin's Board Certifications

• Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology

• Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    • Multiple Sclerosis, Pediatric

Childns Hospital Of Philadelphia

Completed in 1997

Children'S Hospital Boston

Completed in 2000

Dr. Sahin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sahin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Pediatric Neurology