Dr. Muhammad Sheikh, MD

Dr. Muhammad Sheikh, MD

Gastroenterology  |
Dr. Muhammad Sheikh, MD is a gastroenterology doctor who practices in Fresno, CA. He is 62 years old and has been practicing for 35 years. Read his story

7055 N Maple Ave Ste 106

Fresno, CA 93720

• Ameritas
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Blue Shield of California
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Guardian

Learn about Dr. Sheikh

See how frequently Dr. Sheikh performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Esophageal Varices
Liver Damage from Alcohol
Abdominal Disorders

Dr. Sheikh's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Sheikh's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Sheikh "Muhammad Sheikh, M.D. has served as the founding Chief of the Gastroenterology and Hepatology program at UCSF Fresno. He was instrumental in the creation and accreditation of a new gastroenterology division and fellowship program at UCSF Fresno. He is Professor (emeritus) of Clinical Medicine, University of California San Francisco (UCSF). Dr. Sheikh is board certified in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition. In addition, he specializes in hepatology and the management of liver diseases, liver transplant evaluation, and the nutritional support of critically ill patients. Dr. Sheikh is actively involved in clinical research as it relates to hepatitis C, fatty liver, and hepatic encephalopathy. Dr. Sheikh completed his residency training at Indiana University and his fellowship training at the University of Louisville in Kentucky and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School in Boston. Dr. Sheikh is listed as one of the best Gastroenterologists in the United States by Consumer Reports and is a fellow of the American College of Physicians (ACP), American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) and the American Gastroenterology Association (AGA). He has been selected for "Who's Who" 2010/2011 edition as a member of North America's most accomplished Healthcare Professionals. He directs "Valley Gut Club", a highly prestigious monthly Continuing Medical Education program in the Central California. Dr. Sheikh is the recipient of "Laureate Award-2012 "from American College of Physicians, Northern California Chapter. Dr. Sheikh has published extensively in top ranking journals including: The New England Journal of Medicine and Hepatology. He is presently actively involved in clinical trials related to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). He is president of Fresno Clinical Research Center (FCRC)."

This content was provided by Dr. Sheikh "Provide the service and the quality care you truly deserve. Incorporate current research, medical science, and new technology into my practice, thus providing my patients with safe and effective treatment options. Provide education to my patients so that they understand the disease and the treatment involved. Incorporate the best knowledge of nutritional sciences into my clinical practice."

• Gastroenterology

• Esophagitis
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding
  • Viral Hepatitis
  • Vomiting Disorders

• Colonoscopy
  • Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Esophagoscopy
  • Gastroenterology Procedures
  • Liver Biopsy
  • Manometry
  • Sigmoidoscopy
  • Ultrasound-Guided Biopsy

No malpractice history found for California.

• D. J Science College, Karachi
  • Beth Israel Deaconess Hosp Harvard Med Sch
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1998
  • University of Louisville
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997

• "Laureate Award 2012" from American College of Physicians, Northern California Chapter, Nov. 2012

Dr. Sheikh has no media or publications listed.

• Hindi
  • Punjabi
  • Urdu

Dr. Sheikh does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sheikh and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sheikh's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sheikh to family and friends
Dr. Sheikh's Performance
Tulare, CA |
I had an endoscopy and Bravo test. Dr. Sheikh did a very good job. I highly recommend him. He is very kind, takes the time to explain and answer questions, very professional and his staff is very nice as well. Thank you, Dr. Sheikh!!!
Clovis CA |
Great doctor. Very concerned when you are sick. Very responsive to questions
Fresno, CA |
I had a liver biopsy performed by Dr. Sheikh at Community Regional Medical Center and it went very well. The nurses and Dr. Sheikh work very well together, great team! Barely knew the procedure was happening before it was over.
in Cloivis ca |
If it wasn't for Dr. Sheikh I probably be dead right now. He is the one they got everything started both here and in San Francisco for treatment of my condition. I would recommend Dr. Sheikh to anyone that has a problem with stomach diseases.
in Clovis, CA |
Journey started at clovis hospital first dr thought acute pancreatitis put on tpn for 2 months just ice got second opinion dr sheikh told eat food 7/7/2017 been no pain no problems told duct from gallbladder removed dec 2011 thanks to dr and staff happy ending
in Fresno, CA |
i did not expect the journey to my recovery would lead me through Dr. Shei khs office. His pleasant nature set me at ease but when I tried to avoid the severity of my condition he made me well aware of it. He has been patient and thorough in my care. I consider him a friend and would be happy to speak or share on his behalf.
in Selma, CA |
Dr. Sheikh gave me a good healthy scare about a year ago while reviewing my blood work. He was honest and frank about my weight and health factors that were contributing to having fatty liver disease, and the need to make some drastic lifestyle changes. After that appointment, I began watching my diet and started exercising about 20 minutes a day, which eventually led to joining a local gym that I go to 5 days a week. I have lost over 50 lbs and my liver levels are currently in a normal range.
in Riverbank, CA |
Went to Dr. Sheikh office to schedule a colonoscopy. The staff was very polite and Friendly . I needed to have an Colonoscopy .He took the time to explain the risk and benefits of the procedure. Dr. Sheikh made sure that I fully understood All the information he had given me. Very professional Respectful .knowledgeable and passionate about his patients. Will highly recommended him and office to everyone.
in Madera, CA |
Honestly, before my wife chose Dr. Sheikh for me I was very hesitant to go with another Dr from the far east. I have now earned his respect far beyond any other. Office personnel is excellent. He also cured my Hep C. Before my Liver Transplant, I was not a very nice person. After trans, I have learned to love life again. Dr. is thorough, understanding, intelligent just to name a few traits. I consider him not only a Dr. but a true friend. Can you say that about any of your Drs.? AWESOME Dr.
Fresno, CA |
I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C back in 2010. I was going to Bakersfield to visit another specialist until I received a referral to Dr. Sheikh from my GP. Stroke of great fortune! Dr. Sheikh has been amazing. I was treated 2 separate times with 2 separate medications. Dr. Sheikh's staff were excellent at helping me to navigate the many challenges with my insurance company. He was on top of what new medications were coming out and the newest one was finally successful. I am now cured of Hep C!
in Fresno, CA |
I was treated by Dr. Sheikh for my hepatitis C. The treatment was extremely successful. I highly recommend Dr. Sheikh to all those who have liver disease. He is the best stomach doctor in the valley.
Fresno, Ca |
Everyone in the office are very nice and helpful especially Laura. Dr. Sheikh saved my life he caught my cancer in its early stages and I had surgery immediately. I would recommend him to anyone.
in Friant, CA |
Dr. Sheikh is thorough...with a good sense of humor [important]. Out of many contacts, he was the only one able to pinpoint where the pain problem was [& rule out a few things]...and, sent me to the right specialist for further study. He goes above and beyond most doctors by having actual contact with his patient [me] long after office hours. Even my respected cardiologist recognizes Dr. Sheikh as a good doctor.
in Clovis, CA |
He is very patient and very thorough. He treated my liver disease and I've been cured. I'm very greateful for the work he's done an recommend him strongly. He is the best liver doctor in the valley.
in Fresno, CA |
I would recommend Dr. Sheikh to anyone. His wealth of experience and professionalism is outstanding and his ability to explain medical issues and treatment is excellent
in Madera, CA |
Dr. Sheikh is an excellent doctor. He is thorough and looks at other conditions that may affecting your health . He has a good staff and my visits have all gone well. I would not hesitate to go back to him if necessary.
in Fresno.ca |
I met Dr.sheikh at university medical center he took me on as one of his patients and has been treating me ever since it is always a pleasure to see Dr.sheikh and know that I will get the best treatment possible Thank you Dr.sheikh Emilio j Gonzales
Very help
Have you seen Dr. Muhammad Sheikh, MD?
Are you Dr. Sheikh?

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of California HMO
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of California PPO
  • Blue Shield of California
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA