Dr. Monte Stavis, MD

Pediatric Ophthalmology | Male

Dr. Monte Stavis, MD
Born Brooklyn, New York. September 28th, 1949 Attended State University of New York at Stony Brook 1967-1968 Graduated from Hofstra University, BA, New York 1971 Boston University School of Medicine, MD 1971-1975 Albany Medical Center Internship, 1975-1976 University of Michigan, Residency in Ophthalmology 1976-1979 Fellowship in Strabismus and pediatric ophthalmology, Albany 1979-1980 Direrctor of Pediatric Ophthalmology of Houston, and Adults Strabismus Center, Houston, Tx. 1980-2017 (Background: Dr. Stavis was a saxophone and clarinet player and worked extensively in NYC as a youth. Directed the youngest show band in the Catskill Mountain resorts starting at age 15) Two children, both in the arts. 27 year old daughter is a Broadway and off Broadway singer and performes in NYC. Has worked at TUTS theatre here in Houston in two shows this year. Son is a film major in Boston. Wife, Deborah Stavis, is a financial planner

Dr. Stavis' Care Philosophy

Adult Strabismus Center and Pediatric Ophthalmology of Houston is dedicated to treating patients with eye muscle disorders. their condition. At the end of the exam I sit with the patient and family and describe in simple language all the findings and offer options for treatment. We will often start with exercises, glasses or prisms if that will alleviate some of the problem. If none of those are going to work and surgery is necessary I will describe my thought process on which muscles on plan on operating and how findings in the operating room may modifiy my decisions. I also treat eye muscle conditions that cause reading problems.

Dr. Stavis' Experience

See how Dr. Stavis' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Stavis

Dr. Stavis accepts 8 insurance carriers

Dr. Stavis is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Stavis has admitting privileges.

Dr. Stavis' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Stavis to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Stavis' Performance
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Stavis is a brilliant and caring physician, who takes the time with each patient/family to examine, explain and correct issues. My daughter, 14, had been having unexplained headaches for years; only Dr Stavis found a correlation to her eyes. She recovered from surgery quickly and her headaches have disappeared. It's not easy to be told "surgery", especially for your child, but we are grateful Dr. Stavis told us what we needed to hear: surgery is needed, we'll be there through it all.
Houston, TX |
Dr stavis treated my daughter for twisting and convergence insufficiency. She was complaining of blurry vision and headaches. He tried prism glasses first which helped but did not completely alleviate the problems. He cleaned up some scarring she had on both eyes and adjusted the muscles in her eyes. She can now see much more clearly and in her words the words are no longer jumbled.
Houston, TX |
After going to 2 different eye specialist over time for my son and them both telling me different things and claiming my sons eyes would fix as long as he wore glasses yet that never happened I finally came across Dr. Stavis. He was amazing and I'd highly recommend him. He was able to tell me what exactly what was going on with my sons eyes, show me the problem, and better explain everything to me. My son had scarring under his eyes and twisting. Now he reads better and his headaches are gone.
Houston, TX |
Fanta Marie 1 review 3 weeks ago I researched Dr. Stavis for about two years before I made an actual appointment. I was referred to him by someone with a similar condition as mine. Even with high recommendation I went to google and other sites to read reviews about him. I saw a few reviews that were questionable, but they were more about his staff than his actual work. I would like to say from my first visit, his staff and himself have been nothing but helpful. Melissa is very easygoing and work
Cypress, TX |
Went in for a pre op for my 15 month son's obstructed tear ducts. Was told he was preforming a surgery for his twisted eyes as well. When at our last visit we said no. I've had a bad feeling in my gut about him since day one.
This one year old had a blocked tear duct. I also found excess torsion or twisting inside the eyes. Too much torsion causes eye discomfort and reading issues. I have given seven major lectures on torsion. Offering both surgical procedures at the same time, saves the patient another operation in a few years, and the high cost of going back to the operating room. When tearing improved I cancelled all surgery. I strive to create a positive experience for my patients, and regret that did not occur.
in Houston, TX |
Review part 2- I was told many years ago that it was too complicated and then later that I was too old. Dr Stavis had no concern about those two issues and demonstrated that by correcting the problem. I wish I could tell you what and how many muscles were involved but there were way too many for me to memorize. No question about it...the man is a genius! Anyone that has any muscular eye issues would benefit from seeing Dr Stavis
in Anderson, TX |
Our family has been blessed by Dr. Stavis' expertise and talents on two occasions, by the care that he gave myself and my son. My son recently underwent Dr. Stavis' procedure to correct his twisting and Torsion. This procedure showed the amazing benefits the night we came home after his procedure. After only 6 days out, his reading was tested by his teacher and his reading time was cut in half! We are so happy with the results and cannot thank Dr. Stavis enough! Dr. Stavis is absolutely amazing
in Anderson TX |
Dr Stavis treated my daughters eye condition quite successfuly over 30 years ago. He is now treating her son. We would not trust anyone else with his eyes. We love how Dr Stavis explains the treatment procedure to us. He is a wonderful man and doctor.
Houston, TX |
We are very happy with the care received at Dr. Stavis' office. Dr. Stavis is very good with kids and puts on a particularly entertaining Mickey Mouse voice that my two-year-old son loved. When my son wasn't cooperative, Dr. Stavis was able to get the information he needed quickly. He addressed my son's eye condition (Strabismus and twisting behind the eye) with a very successful surgery. A second surgery may be inevitable, but we are confident with Dr. Stavis' expertise to determine this.
in Richmond, TX |
My teenage son had 2 surgeries on both eyes to correct 4 issues: Nystagmus, drifting out of eyes, twisting of eyes, and abnormal head tilting sideways with turning at a 45 degree angle to be able to look straight ahead at a computer/TV screen. All of these issues were resolved after wards. I highly recommend Dr. Stavis! He is very knowledgeable and has a great sense of humor. His staff is very friendly and helpful. I am so pleased with the results of the surgeries.
Houston, TX |
Worse office I ever experienced in my 5 years in Houston. The lady at the entrance is very charming while the nurse is the worse I have met in a medical practice. You can feel that there are tyring to maximise patient numbers. I had to wait 2 hours for a routine kid exam. They made me wait 1h30 for eye dilation while they were checking in patients like in a factory. So disappointed versus what I had seen on the internet. This office must change practices and bring them back to ethics
This 21 month old was frequently falling. The left eye was higher than the right and the child was ignoring the right eye. There was excess twisting or torsion, which causes eye pain, headaches, clumsiness and reading discomfort as the child gets older. I told the parent that these two issues was causing the falling. Most pediatric ophthalmologists don't look for torsion. I have given seven major lectures on torsion. I try to give patients a positive experience. I regret that did not occur.
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Stavis should get a Nobel Prize in Medicine...and in everything else! No other doctor had seen the misalignment with my 14-year-old daughter's eyes; no other doctor could find a root cause for her chronic headaches. From the first exam through the surgery and recovery, Dr. Stavis explained everything in easy terms. He is extremely knowledgable, confident and approachable, as are his wonderful assistants, April and Melissa. Never rushed, he gives the same care to all. We are so grateful!
in Houston, Texas |
Dr. Stavis did an awesome, intense surgery on my 5 year old daughters eyes. I started taking her to him in 2015 but my fear led me to wait on the surgery. I wanted to talk and let her know the surgery would be okay but I was truly calming my fear. I would take her to see him every other month so she would know him too. Each visit led to more reassurance that she knew he would take care of her!
in Houston, TX |
Run away from this doctor. For occasional blinking he prescribed steroids for my 6 years old kid. We decided to check this with Texas Children Hospital Specialist who's diagnosis was - no problems. Kids do this and this goes away. In addition... billing issue. Dr. Stavis total billing was $470.00 after insurance adjustment it was reduced to $270. Our total bill for the Texas Children Hospital was $40.00 which is exactly our copay for any specialist visit.
in Houston,tx |
I had a great experience with Dr. Stavis. He corrected my sons eyes which were twisting and rotating on both eyes. His unique procedure worked wonders. My son can now enjoy doing things that his vision limited him before. He can walk up stairs normal which was a problem and enjoy books and all other kid stuff! It has been a night and day difference for my little boy who is 4 years old!!
in Houston, TX |
Dr.Stavis has done 3 surgeries on my daughter and I can tell you I am so grateful to have found such a great doctor! My daughter had a lot of twisting of her eye muscle which he tighten and loosen some. I can say her surgeries were a success she is now able to concentrate in school and is learning how to read and write with no problems. Thanks to Dr.Stavis
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Stavis is a fantastic doctor. Our eight year old son was having eye pain. Upon examining him, Dr. Stavis explained that our son's eye muscles were severely twisted. Our son prior to surgery looked like a typical ADHD child. He was not very social, and he was a slow reader. Since his surgery- He is no longer having eye pain, and his reading is very fluent. He is incredibly social now- that was a surprise! Dr. Stavis is very caring, and the only Dr. in the country to do this type of surgery.
in Houston, TX |
As a practising pediatrician, I was in need of extensive eye surgery and somewhat apprehensive. I was referred tp Dr Stavis and cannot be more grateful for the accuracy of his diagnosis and the absolute success of a complicated surgery. My vision is excellent now. I highly recommend Dr Stavis and am so thankful for his knowledge and expertise. He is a highly skilled surgeron.
in Houston, TX |
My child has been a patient of Dr. Stavis for over 7 years. He has treated her since infancy and helped to improve her eyesight immensely. He is knowledgeable and kind and wonderful with children and families. Dr. Stavis and his staff are always welcoming and helpful and have gone above and beyond to help us with whatever we needed with a smile. Dr. Stavis has preformed two successful surgeries on my child and we have had no problems with anything regarding the process from beginning to end.
in San Antonio, TX |
I HAD a lazy eye all my life. Finally after 49 yrs, I learned of Dr. Stavis. I immediately called to schedule an appt., & was seen within 1 wk. & had surgery the following month. I drive from San Antonio, TX for my follow-ups with him. He has a great sense of humor. I am SO SO Thankful to him for his knowledge and for giving me back my SELF CONFIDENCE. Dr. Stavis is a GREAT doctor.
Worst doctor ever!! Horrible with kids!!!
Have you seen Dr. Monte Stavis, MD?

Compare Dr. Stavis

Born Brooklyn, New York.  September 28th, 1949

Attended State University of New York at Stony Brook 1967-1968

Graduated from Hofstra University, BA, New York 1971

Boston University School of Medicine, MD 1971-1975

Albany Medical Center Internship, 1975-1976

University of Michigan, Residency in Ophthalmology 1976-1979

Fellowship in Strabismus and pediatric ophthalmology, Albany 1979-1980

(Background:  Dr. Stavis was a saxophone and clarinet player and worked extensively in NYC as a youth.  Directed  the youngest show band in the Catskill Mountain resorts starting at age 15)

Two children, both in the arts.  27 year old daughter is a Broadway and off Broadway singer and performes in NYC.  Has worked at TUTS theatre here in Houston in two shows this year.

Son is a film major in Boston.

Wife, Deborah Stavis, is a financial planner

Dr. Stavis' Care Philosophy

Adult Strabismus Center and Pediatric Ophthalmology of Houston is dedicated to treating patients with eye muscle disorders. their condition. At the end of the exam I sit with the patient and family and describe in simple language all the findings and offer options for treatment.  We will often start with exercises, glasses or prisms if that will alleviate some of the problem.  If none of those are going to work and surgery is necessary I will describe my thought process on which muscles on plan on operating and how findings in the operating room may modifiy my decisions.  I also treat eye muscle conditions that cause reading problems.

Dr. Stavis says...

My office is dedicated to treating eye muscle disorders in children and adults. I am an expert in evaluating complex strabismus and coming up with a medical, optical or surgical treatment to improve eye alignment and eye comfort.   Twisting of the eyes, or torsion, is often ignored.  This means the eyes are rotated incorrectly and cause eye pain, headaches, and reading discomfort.  To eliminate the excess twisting, I have developed a new surgical technique, known as the "Stavis Cinch" where I do not have to split a muscle to tightened it.  I have lectured on this technique at Harvard, as a special guest lecturer, and two major international meetings. Behavior is also greatly improved in young children who have this problem.

Reading discomfort also occurs when the eyes go out too much at near (convergence insufficiency).  I popularized the use of lenses with prism.  Most of these patients have minor scarring around their lower muscle which is easily repaired in the OR when necessary.

Dr. Stavis says...

After evaluation of the patient, I will describe your findings and my plan for surgical correction of your strabismus.

Eye muscle surgery techniques that I have pioneered include:  For those patients whose eyes do not align at near, and go out too much, I frequently will remove extra attachments or scars on the bottom muscle which have occurred from minor trauma to the face.  I then will do a lower half muscle tightening of the inside muscle on one or both eyes.

Patients may have eye discomfort because there is too much twisting of the eyes.  A new technique called the "Stavis Cinch" tightens a muscle called the superior oblique, without cutting through it.  This is safer, easier and more predictible.

You will go home with a detailed plan of planned surgery with different options that are being considered.  Findings in the operating room will make some options better choices.

I realign the eyes everywhere, so that the patient not only looks good, but feels good.

Dr. Stavis' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Pediatric Ophthalmology
      •  Board certified in Ophthalmology

Dr. Stavis has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Stavis' Board Certifications

University of Michigan / Ann Arbor

Completed in 1979

Albany Memorial Hospital

Completed in 1980

Dr. Stavis does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Stavis and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Pediatric Ophthalmology