Dr. Miltiadis Zgonis, MD

Dr. Miltiadis Zgonis, MD

Orthopedic Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Miltiadis Zgonis, MD is an orthopedic sports medicine doctor who practices in Philadelphia, PA. He is 39 years old and has been practicing for 13 years. Read his story

235 S 33rd St Ste 1

• Capital Blue Cross
  • EmblemHealth
  • Geisinger Health Plan
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Zgonis

See how frequently Dr. Zgonis performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Knee Disorders
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain
high
Knee Sprain
high

Dr. Zgonis's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Zgonis' bio

This content was provided by Dr. Zgonis "Dr. Miltiadis Zgonis is an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania. He is also Co-director of the Penn Human Tissue Laboratory. He obtained his undergraduate degree in Biology at Tufts University (2000), and then obtained his MD from Albany Medical College (2004). He then completed a 2-year NIH Postdoctoral research fellowship at the McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory under the guidance of Dr. Louis J. Soslowsky (2006). There his research endeavors were focused on cell biology and biomechanics of the rotator cuff and tendon healing. He continued at the University of Pennsylvania for 6 years of residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery, which included one additional year of research time at McKay, and completed this in 2012. While there, he was exposed to cartilage and meniscus sciences under the direction of Dr. Robert Mauck, which in combination with previous work in tendon and rotator cuff solidified Sports as a venue for continuing to develop his clinical and research interests. He completed his final year of postgraduate training at Duke University while completing a Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship under Dr. Claude T. Moorman and Dr. Dean Taylor (2013). Since then, he has built a career balancing a busy clinical practice treating conditions of the shoulder and the knee with a full day per week of dedicated research time investigating various topics within the knee meniscus and cartilage basic sciences."

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear

• Meniscus Transplantation
  • Multi-Ligament Knee Reconstruction
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• Tufts University
  • Hospital Of The University Of Pennsylvania
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2012
  • Duke University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013

Dr. Zgonis has no media or publications listed.

• Greek

Dr. Zgonis does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zgonis and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Zgonis' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zgonis to family and friends
3.6
Dr. Zgonis' Performance
Philadelphia, PA |
I went to Dr Zgonis in 2016 he was my second opinion I was told I needed a knee replacement I was only 41 and didn't really want to do that yet:...he offered me another option so I wouldn't have to go with a knee replacement....it has been over a year since my surgery and I feel great..Dr Zgonis really listened to my concerns and answered all of my questions....i would highly recommend him to anyone....just his bedside manner and he is an excellent surgeon/doctor
Philadelphia, PA |
I saw Dr. Zgonis for acute shoulder pain that I had been having for 8 weeks. My pain was bad enough that I couldn't sleep at night, and couldn't turn my head in any direction. He was an hour behind schedule, wouldn't let me finish explaining my symptoms before he diagnosed me with a "strained muscle," and prescribed PT. After no improvement for weeks, I saw a neurologist who told me that I actually had a herniated disc that was causing radiating nerve pain down my shoulder... thanks Dr. Zgonis.
in philadelphia, pa |
While Dr. Zgonis was running a bit behind schedule, it was clear why after seeing him. I've been dealing with a knee injury for some time now and Dr. Zgonis was able to help me and gave me all of the time I needed to ask my questions, a truly great bedside manner. He was recommended to me by a friend that had surgery with him and I could not be happier with the recommendation.
in chalfont pa |
went for a appointment today at 12:20. Waited until 1:10 minutes, then I left without ever seeing him. I'll never be back. My time is valuable too. He needs to invest in a scheduler.
Dear Tom, I am sad to see that you had to wait so long and that I wasn't able to see you and try to help with your problem. The truth is that while we live in a world where patients are scheduled at specific intervals, some patients require more time than what is scheduled due to the complexity of the problem they are facing. You can't rush these things. Unfortunately, this makes me run behind at times. It's unpredictable and not typical. I hope you understand and had your problem addressed.
North Brunswick, NJ |
He is very knowledgeable and takes the time to explain everything until the patient and family understand. He is able to get his point across without talking down to his patients and he doesn't rush through the appointment, so can at times be understandably delayed. It was very easy to get appointments as needed for my daughter who had a torn acl, LCL and mcl, resulting in acl reconstruction.
in Philadelphia, PA |
Dr. zgonis is the most wonderful, kind, excellent and caring Dr. I have come across. He is a fabulous surgeon and is surrounded by the most competent and terrific assistant named Lisa. I highly recommend Penn Ortho. I feel that Dr. Zgonis and the other Drs. Affiliated with Penn are the finest around!!!!
Have you seen Dr. Miltiadis Zgonis, MD?

See our Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgery Specialists at Methodist Hospital—Jefferson Health

Visit Dr. Zgonis