Dr. Michael Stifelman, MD

Dr. Michael Stifelman, MD

Urology  |

Dr. Michael Stifelman, MD is an urology doctor who practices in Hackensack, NJ. He is 50 years old and has been practicing for 24 years. Dr. Stifelman is affiliated with Hackensack University Medical Center.

360 Essex St Ste 403

Hackensack, NJ 07601

• Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP)
  • Connecticare
  • CoreSource
  • EmblemHealth
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • HealthFirst
  • HealthPartners

Learn about Dr. Stifelman

Dr. Stifelman's Experience

Dr. Stifelman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Urology

Accredited by: American Board of Urology*

• Bladder Cancer
  • Bladder Diverticulum
  • Congenital Obstruction of Ureterovesical Junction
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Hydronephrosis

• Partial Cystectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Partial Nephrectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Prostatectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Ureteroneocystostomy With Robotic Assistance

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1993
  • New York Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia Presbyterian Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • New York Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia Presbyterian Center
  • New York Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Stifelman has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Stifelman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Stifelman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
Prostate Surgery Excellence Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Stifelman is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Stifelman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Stifelman to family and friends
Dr. Stifelman's Performance
Upon meeting Dr. Stifelman, my wife and I were immediately impressed by his professionalism, confidence, easy-going demeanor, kindness and willingness to answer all of our questions. Although Dr. Stifelman went on vacation just days after my surgery for prostate cancer, he texted and spoke to me about an issue to ensure that my recovery went smoothly. Dr. Stifelman is someone who wants to help people in a most caring and human way. Dr. Stifelman is an outstanding surgeon with a huge heart.
in Green Brook NJ |
Dr Stifelman did a partial nephrectomy on me in May after I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. It was done at HUMC and everything went very well. The first urologist I went to wanted to remove my entire kidney but Dr Stifelman was able to remove the cancer and save my kidney. I highly recommend Dr Stifelman.
in Key West, Florida |
Dr. Stifelman is an intelligent, sensitive and very hard-working doctor. I feel so grateful that he took on my case. I flew up from Key West, Florida to see him and so great was my confidence in him that I knew he was the best choice. I had kidney cancer. He spent time during my visits reassuring and outlining the treatment plan. He will operate at 6AM and in the evening he will still be working hard on a computer in the ward or visiting patients. Lose your fear: He is an amazing doctor.
in New York, NY |
Easily, I would say that Dr Stifelman is the best doctor I have had. He is competent and caring and really knows how to go that extra mile. I sought him out because of his reputation and he delivered. He manages expectation well and truly allows the patient to feel at ease even when the situation seems unsure and procedure somewhat uncomfortable. Without hesitation, I recommend him very highly if you find yourself in need of a world class doctor.
Ridgefield Park, NJ |
I contacted Dr. Stifelman to get a second opinion as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Even though it was in it's early stages and having a strong family history of prostate cancer in my family I decided to have the prostate removed. I'm so glad I met him. He listened and addressed all my questions and concerns that I felt confident enough to use him to do this procedure. I am totally satisfied with the outcome and would highly recommend him .. I wish there were more doctors like him.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
I am so happy, the Lord guided me to find Dr. Michael Stifelman to operate on my Kidneys. When you need help, you need really someone to help, to calm you down, to assure you and deliver results. I really highly recommend Dr. Stifelman to everyone who has a kidney problem. My difficult surgery was a complete success.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Stifelman has been my surgeon for over two years; first at NYU then, I followed him to Hackensack UMC, when accepted his new positions as Chairman of the Urology Dept. In fact, I would have followed to the end of the earth! I don't think there is a more skilled surgeon and caring doctor. He operated on me when I was diagnosed with a malignan left kidney cancer in August, 2015. The surgery was a success, and I have been cancer-free since. Dr. StifeLman is best thing that has touched my life!
Boston, MA |
Such a gifted physician.. cant say enough good things about him. My dad was a patient of his - he is the real deal - great bedside manner and excellent skills. You are in great hands with him
in Boynton Beach, FL |
I came up from florida to have Dr. Stifelman do a partial nephrectomy robotically. He is a caring, thoughtful, and thorough professional. His staff is of the same quality. Great physician.
Emerson, NJ |
Our handicapped son suffered a perforated kidney along with an abscess. His kidney had to be removed. Open incision was our only option but given our son's circumstances this would have devastated him. We were fortunate to find Dr. Stifelman. His first words to our son were, "Hi, I'm Michael," and he quickly put a special plan and team in place and was able to successfully perform the surgery laparoscopically. Dr. Stifelman's skill is only outweighed by his compassion and humility.
in Plainville, MA |
I enthusiastically recommend Dr. Stifelman. Living outside of Boston, I became dissatisfied with my Doctor at a prestigious Boston Hospital. After researching, I traveled four (4) plus hours each for consultation and surgery for Prostate Cancer. I would readily do it all again. Clearly Dr. Stifelman is one of the best urologist on the east coast, if not the best in Robotic Surgery. I found him to be compassionate, thorough and intelligent. A great organization inclusive of staff and hospital.
Staten Island, NY |
I had a Gleason score of 8 for prostate cancer. Scared and confused he was informative and comforting. Thank god I met him. He is a brilliant compassionate surgeon Praising god and dr Stifleman, I'm 20 months cancer free. God bless him
Lakewood, NJ |
Dr. Stifelman is an outstanding surgeon! I had a small mass on my kidney which he removed robotically. I had expected some pain immediately following the surgery but had none. Of course, I did take it easy at home for several weeks as I recovered fully from the minimally invasive operation. From our first meeting through follow up visits, I cannot say enough good about this compassionate, highly skilled doctor. He is the best!
in Union City, NJ |
My Dad is 87 years old and was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor on one of his kidneys. The tumor was 13 cm (slightly larger than a baseball). His Nephrologist in south Jersey highly recommended Dr Michael Stifleman in Hackensack NJ for this type of surgery. The surgery was minimally invasive through a robotic procedure. The surgery was a success and his kidney was spared. Kudos to Dr Stifelman for his fine talent, knowledge and professionalism. I would strongly recommend him.
Excellent doctor, highly professional and efficient office. Not to mention HUMC as an extraordinary facility. I saw Dr. Stifelman seeking out a second opinion on my prostate cancer after being diagnosed in 2012. Don't hesitate at all if you are in need of a urologic oncologist and surgeon. He is the one!
in Garfield, NJ |
I had the pleasure of being referred to Dr. Stifelman by my PCP. Being a nurse I was familiar with my diagnoses of kidney cancer and the need for surgery frightened me. Dr. Stifelman performed my surgery; he spoke with me on numerous occasions and relieved my anxiety; he explained everything to me from beginning to end. He was readily available if needed post operatively as well. I would highly recommend Dr. Stifelman.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in November and was referred to Dr. Stifelman by my Urologist. My Gleason was 6 and 4 nodules had cancer present. Consulted with Dr. Stifelman and decided Robotic Prostatectomy was the best option for me. (Great call/ post surgery biopsy showed a Gleason of 7). Dr. Stifelmans staff was great. I had little to no side effects after surgery. 10 weeks after surgery, life is good. I highly recommend Dr. Stifelman.
Cliffside Park, NJ |
Dr. Michael Stifelman turned an enormously stressful time for my entire family into relief, gratitude, and comfort after his recent successful cancer surgery on my brother, Angel Moreno. Dr. Stifelman skillfully removed Angel's cancerous tumor and saved most of his kidney, so he can keep living with both of his kidneys. And now, two weeks after the surgery, we've just been informed that Angel's blood test results show he is cancer-free. Thank you, Dr. Stifelman, from the bottom of our hearts.
in Ocean, NJ |
It was devastating to discover I had a mass in both kidneys. I was iniatially told I would lose the left kidney. Then I met with Dr. Michael Stifelman. Upon reviewing my ultrasound and CAT scan he reassured me that my condition was treatable. His positive energy and professionalism was contagious. He took his time and carefully reviewed my scans. He developed a comprehensive plan for surgery. Dr. Stifelman is an amazing surgeon and pioneer in the field of kidney disease. I am so grateful to him.
in Englewood, NJ |
Dr. Stifelman is a great surgeon, very professional, always takes significant amount of time reviewing films and reports to make a correct decision for further treatment. I came to him for second opinion and in less than 5 minutes in a conversation knew that he was the one I trust to operate on me. Dr. Stifelman performed partial nephrectomy later, which was successfully done at Hackensack Hospital. I would absolutely recommend Dr. Stifelman , he is the best.
in Hoboken, NJ |
I came to Dr. Stifelman by way of recommendations of two other physicians - another surgeon who had performed a prior prostatectomy and my primary care physician who told me that Dr. Stifelman is the Dr. he would use for himself and, in fact, had done so in the past. He performed a partial nephrectomy for me and the results and recovery time were excellent. Especially important to me is that he has made sure that i understood my condition and options and let me participate in the decisions.
in Summit, NJ |
During my stay at the Hackensack University Medical Center I experienced kindness and understanding from your Urology Group. I experienced the competent, sensitive and open dialog between patient and doctor.The surgeons that collaborated with you like as well as your team of doctors and staff carried the same high level of performance and keeping an on-going dialogue with me and my family. Physicians like you and your staff are the prize of the medical profession.
in East Rutherford, NJ |
I was diagnosed with a fistula from my colon into my bladder.This condition was previously unknown to me, so I had many questions & concerns. I had very successful surgery due to the very capable hands of Dr. Stifelman & Dr. M Karpeh.They explained everything in detail,answered all my questions, & calmed my fears. I had excellent care from the nurses & staff as well. I highly recommend these surgeons & hospital.
in Montclair, NJ |
I was referred to Dr. Stifelman by two other well regarded doctors regarding a kidney mass. A robotic partial nephrectomy was suggested to remove the mass. This was done late last year with excellent results. Dr Stifelman and his staff were on top of all aspects from pre to post surgical. There were no gaps in professionalism or care throughout. I would highly recommend him and his team.
New York, NY |
Dr Stifelman is the best urologist oncologist in the region! I highly recommend him for urologic robotic surgery. He is down to earth, follows through, easy to talk to, , and is the expert in his field.His staff is friendly and helpful.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
Dr. Stifelman was referred to me by my urologist after repeated attempts/procedures to remove a blockage by my kidney failed (including a failed pyeloplasty). My urologist had heard Dr. Stifelman speak at a conference about a new procedure called "robotic buccal mucosa ureteroplasty, omental wrap." Dr. Stifelman discussed the procedure in great detail with me. He preformed the successful procedure and the recovery went exactly like he described. I would highly recommend Dr. Stifelman.
in Pomona, NY |
I was diagnosed with a left kidney carcinoma on 12/23/16; I saw Dr. Stifelman on 1/3/17 for a second opinion and on 1/11/17, Dr. Stifelman performed a robotic partial nephrectomy. Due to the location of the mass, Dr. Stifelman explained to us that he would perform the surgery in an unconventional manner by going through the back and side of the kidney to get to the mass using the shortest distance. Only a luminary with his gifts and skills could've executed this complex surgery- the best!
in Wayne, NJ |
Dr. Stifelman performed a partial nephrectomy to remove a RCC mass from my kidney on Dec 28, 2016. The month prior, I had finished chemo treatment for Non-hodgkins Lymphoma. You can imagine, the stress and anxiety I was feeling from a 2nd mass. Dr. Stifelman was incredible! Within a few minutes he had our total confidence that he would be able to remove the mass and handle any of the potential issues. Our confidence was not misplaced! He is a brilliant doctor with a great bedside manner.
in Hamilton, NJ |
I was referred to Dr. Stifelman after being diagnosed with Renal Cell Carcinoma in my Right Kidney. Dr. Stifelman was confident he could perform a Robotic/Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy. He successfully performed the procedure even though the tumor was more complex than shown. He was able to save 2/3 of my kidney. During my post-op recovery one of the two possible surgical complications arose. He expedited an immediate Renal Arteriogram which corrected the issue. We think he is the best!
in NJ |
1 week ago my daughter got Robot assisted Pyeloplasty surgery with Dr. Stifelman at Hackensack Hospital to address UPJ obstruction. It was disappointing news to us first and after long research we came across Dr. Stifelman who was able quickly to make us feel confident and comfortable with surgery. He is brilliant surgeon with excellent people skills and knows exactly what/how needs to be done. You will be in good hands with Dr. Stifelman.
in Livingston, NJ |
I am an octogenarian referred to Dr. Stifleman after a series of procedures aimed at addressing a very old and large stone attached to my ureter not only failed but left me susceptible to infection requiring multiple hospitalizations.. He is highly regarded by his peers worldwide including one of my acquaintance who happens to be urologist to a very famous Queen. He also has very fine human qualities that go a long way toward making the patient more comfortable even when you know you are bein
in Short Hills, NJ |
I saw Dr Stifelman for a UPJ Obstruction at Hackensack. Dr. Stifelman is one of the best Doctors I've ever seen. He is brilliant, patient and has a great beside manner. He performed a robotic Pyleplasty on me 2 weeks ago. I was extremely nervous but Dr Stifelman walked me through the whole procedure and made me feel at ease. He visited me the next day in the hospital and was always accessible when i needed him. I'm so happy i did my research and found him. He saved my kidney
in New York, NY |
I came to Dr. Stifelman two years ago. A CT scan had revealed I had an obstruction between my kidney and my bladder and Dr. Stifelman came highly recommended. I had a laparoscopic surgery correct the issue and and all symptoms I had relating to the blockage (pain etc) are now all gone. I would recommend him to anyone
in Boca Raton, FL |
We live in Southeast Florida. When diagnosed with probable kidney cancer, we fid our homework and decided to travel to NJ to have Dr. Stifelman perform surhery. Dr. Stifelman is a very professional and knowledgeable physician. He is also kind and compassionate.
in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ |
After a CT Scan had shown I developed a tumor on my kidney, I just wanted the best surgeon possible to treat me. I was referred to Dr. Michael Stifelman. He patiently answered every question and concern I had and I never felt rushed. I found him to be totally honest, sincere, caring, focused and most of all very confident. My surgery went extremely well. My recovery couldn't be going any better thanks to Dr.Michael and his competent staff. The Lord has blessed this doctor with "Golden Hands"
in Middlesex, NJ |
Dr. Stifelman can come across as very self-confidant, which some may find off-putting, but he walks the talk. He was able to remove my tumor, in a very precarious position, using the robot, taking clean margins, and leaving me with full functionality. By opting for robotic, versus traditional surgery, my recovery time is measured in weeks instead of months. Dr. Stifelman tells you exactly what he plans to do, and, after surgery explains exactly what was done. No one better in our area.
in Belgrade, Serbia |
My RP Fibrosis was solved w/robotic ureterolysis -it required experienced surgeon. Research led to Dr Stifelman. I live in Europe- to save my kidney, Dr Stifelman & his team organized my surgery ASAP. Dr S. is smart, kind, competent doctor, he gave me confidence that all will be well. 24h after surgery I ws up and walking - 2 mths on, my kidney is almost completely recovered, I am stent, prednisone & pain free. Brilliant doctor, carrying person. I highly recommend him. Many thanks, Dr. Michael
in Woodcliff Lake, NJ |
I was diagnosed with early stage prostrate cancer (Gleason 6) in August, 2016. I was offered options including active surveillance, radiation, and robotic prostatectomy. I elected surgery. Dr.Stifelman was recommended to me by a colleague of mine who is an oncologist (I am a physician). From the moment I met with him, I felt comfortable and confident. The surgery went well. I had minimal discomfort requiring only Tylenol following surgery. Dr. Stifelman is compassionate, smart, and honest.
in Tel Aviv, ISRAEL |
My renal carcinoma was particularly complicated as it required an especially delicate and expert removal. I ?had to find a surgeon with experience, one whom I could trust blindly. I embarked on an in-depth research ?into the world of urological surgeons, and there was no doubt about my surgeon of choice - Dr. Michael ?Stifelman.? The surgery was successful, as foreseen. I am so grateful to Dr. Stifelman and his staff. Their level of ?healthcare and professionalism is no less than outstanding.?
in Hackensack, NJ |
Dr. Stifelman is a rock star surgeon. Underwent a robotic ureterolysis with omental wrap surgery in July 2016 and just completed a follow-up. Everything looks great. Highly recommend Dr. Stifelman and his excellent staff in UHMC.
in Allendale, NJ |
Obviously, competence is of primary concern when selecting a surgeon. Researching and meeting Dr. Stifelman left me no doubt that I would have the best area surgeon operating on me. The fact that he was engaging and clearly communicated with me made the entire surgical experience remarkably anxiety-free and successful. His associates, who also visited me in the hospital, also get the highest grades. Dr. Stifelman and his office have my strongest recommendations.
in New York, NY |
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Stifelman. He is the absolute BEST surgeon for robotic surgery, and for kidney surgery in general. I had cancer on both my left and right kidneys. He was calm and reassuring, and put us at ease knowing we were in the best hands. Both surgeries went well - he saved both of my kidneys and I am now cancer-free. Thank you, Dr. Stifelman. My husband and I both agree - you saved my life and we are eternally grateful to you.
Clifton, NJ |
I was diagnosed with renal carcinoma. Dr Stifelman's office scheduled me for an appointment within the week I called. His staff worked to find an opening for my surgery which he performed within 10 days, even though they were booking out 2 months. Dr Stifelman was highly recommended by several of my doctors who described him as "brilliant". He's excellent and did a great job explaining my condition, surgery, recovery, pathology report and follow up visits/testing. He's also very personable.
in Highland Lakes, NJ 07422 |
It has been three weeks since my surgery and I can not thank Dr. Stifelman enough for all he did and said. Cancer is a scary word but under his care I felt my life moved in the right direction. He was open and honest with me and discussed our options. The surgery went well and recovery happened the way he said it would. His nurse, Jane Tregores, was very professional and helped put my mind at ease during recovery. They worked as a team with the hospital and staff.
in Teaneck, NJ |
Hice una cita para ver al Dr. Stifleman para una consulta y tan pronto que lo conocí supe que estaba en buenas manos. Dr. Stifelman es el mejor urólogo y lo recomiendo mucho. He visto un montón de doctores y nunca he conocido a un doctor como a el Dr. Stifelman. Él es único en su clase, es un doctor increíble.
in Eatontown, NJ |
My regular Urologist referred me to Dr. Stifelman, by telling me that "if he had to have the same procedure, Dr. Stifelman would be the doctor he would have do it." Dr. Stifelman is probably the most professional doctor I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He performed a robotic partial nephrectomy, and because of my size, it was a more complicated procedure. within two days, although a little uncomfortable, I was up, mobile and on the road to recovery.
in Beach Haven, NJ |
I picked Dr Stifelman for my robotic assisted prostatectomy and was very glad I did. He and the whole team are terrific. He does a great job explaining the process, his methodology and what to expect. More importantly he is very skilled. My surgery was successful and recovery was better than expected. Jane is the nurse that works with Dr Stifleman. She is equally impressive. Professional, thorough, caring and responsive. Lastly Hackensack Hospital is definitely the place to go for this.
in Rumson, NJ |
Trust is the most important word to use in describing Michael Stifelman. From my first meeting with him ten years ago it is that trust together with his professional medical training that defines him. I interviewed several top urologists before selecting Michael and have never regretted my choice. On every level, Ten years ago I put my life in Dr. Stifelman's able hands and I am glad that I did and I would make the same choice all over again today.
in Woodbury, CT |
A god sent cured me saved my life!
in Watchung, NJ |
Dr. Stifelman is the epitome of what a doctor should be ! Aside from his knowledge and professionalism, he is incredibly caring and devoted to his patients. On 2/25/16 he performed a radical prostatectomy on me. My tumor was a Gleason 9 and my recent 90 day follow up indicates my PSA is undetectable ! I've experienced none of the feared side effects because of Dr. Stifelman's skill as a surgeon. I would highly recommend him.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Stifelman, MD?
Are you Dr. Stifelman?

Visit Dr. Stifelman

Dr. Stifelman accepts 26 insurance carriers
    Select
  • Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union
    Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union WC
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP)
    Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP) HMO
    Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York (HIP) PPO
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
    Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
    Prism Blue Priority EPO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
    Oxford Liberty

Hospitals where Dr. Stifelman has admitting privileges

30 Prospect Ave
Hackensack, NJ 07601

More Urology Specialists like Dr. Stifelman at Hackensack University Medical Center