Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Michael Shuler, MD
Dr Shuler has been in Athens since 2008. He was the first fellowship trained hand surgeon to practice in Athens, GA. He specializes in minimally invasive procedures including carpal tunnel release, cubital tunnel release and basal thumb (CMC) arthroplasties (joint replacement for thumb arthritis). Dr Shuler has been active in research and has conducted a multi-million dollar Department of Defense grant studying a non-invasive monitor for compartment syndrome. He has also been involved in cutting edge research for minimally invasive thumb arthritis.

1765 Old West Broad St Bldg 2

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia
  • Group Health Cooperative
  • Health Net
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio

Learn about Dr. Shuler

See how frequently Dr. Shuler performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hand and Wrist Fracture Treatment, Open
Carpal Tunnel Release
Limb Pain

Dr. Shuler's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Shuler "Currently accepting Medicare Wellcare"

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hip Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Replacement

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• University Of North Carolina At Chapel Hill
  • Emory University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2007
  • University Of Washington
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2008

Dr. Shuler has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Shuler does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shuler and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Shuler's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shuler to family and friends
Dr. Shuler's Performance
in Columbus, NC |
Dr. Shuler has now repaired both of my hands and I am pleased to report that my experience has been supremely positive. His surgical ability is superior as well as his welcoming manner. The surgical theater is on the campus of the clinic; his staff is kind and professional. I would have had no way of comparing his surgery with others except that I and my occupational therapist live in another state. She has seen many, many other styles,which is why she marvels at Dr. Shuler's pristine work.
in Colbert, GA |
I had CMC Thumb Arthritis in my left thumb. I had heard all of the horror stories about the operation and mainly the recovery. After making an appointment with Dr. Shuler all of my worries were laid to rest. He has to be one of the most professional doctors I have ever seen. Every question was answered, every detail of what caused the condition and what to do about it was given to me by Dr. Shuler. He said a prayer before surgery, fixed my thumb and now I'm almost fully recovered. He is the best
Dr. Michael Shuler agreed to see me on very short notice after I fell and broke my wrist. He is professional, efficient and friendly. I was impressed with how well he explained my need for surgery, and his confidence reassured me. I definitely recommend Dr. Shuler!
in Athens, GA |
With gratitude to Dr. Shuler, my hand and finger healed to be capable and agile once again to make pottery and drawings. He skillfully repaired the cut tendons in my finger from a farm accident. The tendons were like small rubber bands in which Dr. Shuler stitched backed together. That in itself is amazing. The physical therapy provided also was encouraging and helped movement. Healing was evident every visit. Dr. Shuler in my experience is a capable and caring hand surgeon.
I think Dr Shuler is great. He has done both of my hands for carpal tunnel. Excellent results. Minimal recovery. He's very direct and to the point. Great manners very polite and caring I have already referred friends to him with same results
in Winder, GA |
Dr. Shuler -correct trigger finger (little and ring finger) on right hand - he also corrected dupuytrens in same hand. This surgery left a large knot in my ring finger. It appears he over corrected the dupuytrens as not only do I have a large knot but my hand seems to be permanently deformed. I cannot lay hand flat on surface as fingers are pulled too tightly giving a permanent cupped hand. Very dissatisfied considering this is his specialty.
in Athens, GA |
Dr.Schuler was everything one could want in their doctor. His credentials are exceptional, but, equally important are his interpersonal skills. He is very pleasant, caring, answers all questions without seeming to be in a rush. I had two surgeries with Dr Schuler and they could not have gone better. Without hesitation I highly recommend him. His nurse Wendy was also excellent.
Athens, GA |
Don't expect him to listen to you. Don't expect him to know anything about physical therapy or occupational therapy. Don't be surprised if his physician's assistant arranges for your surgery and you never even see Shuler at all.
in Toccoa, GA |
Doctor Shuler conducted procedures on both of my hands for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and could not have been more pleased. The process went exactly as he described it would and prior to each procedure, he came to my pre-op room and prayed with me. I highly recommend him!
in Carnesville, GA |
Dr. Shuler was great from the first impression in the surgical center to the final follow up appointment. When a sports accident required my 11yo son to have emergency surgery, I was in a state of panic. Our EMTs on staff recommended Athens Orthopedic. I am thankful we ended up with Dr. Shuler. His bedside manner put us all at ease. We were completely comfortable in his presence. I am grateful for him.
From the front office to dr rooms to back this area everyone is wonderful. very helpful. If they don't know then they will find out. Dr. Shuler and his staff are top dawgssss!!!!!!!!!!! I would recommend Dr. Shuler to all in need that I know.
in Monroe, GA |
Dr. Shuler is not only professional, but he is kind, gentle and absolutely knows his profession. He is caring and will always be one of my #1 doctors/specialists.
in Bogart, Georgia |
Dr. Shuler is the best Orthopedic surgeon, and I have had 2 operations to fix both hands and he is first class. From seeing his PA to going through the surgery you know you are in "good hands" pardon the pub but it is true. If you are reading this and debating going to AOC no worries you will be taken care with no worries and any orthopedic issues will be resolved. Highly recommend this doctor!
in Commerce, GA |
Dr. Shuler did a wonderful job when he did surgery on my daughters hand. He explained things well and made us all feel at ease. We will always use him for any orthopedic hand surgery needs.
in Commerce, GA |
First met Dr. Shuler in 2010. Through an accident. I had nearly lost my left thumb. I asked him to just remove it, however he didn't want to. Numerous surgeries later, it turned out great. Recently I asked about my right thumb. It needs surgery now. He was interested in the left hand and asked for x-rays. I'd broken the hardware in there and 2 screws tried to break out the skin. 1 1/2 months later, I couldn't ask for more! I'll never allow anyone else work on my hands! Thanks Doc!
in Madison GA |
Dr. Shuler was everything I expected in a specialist: competent, friendly, professional. He explained everything very well, without lingering. Surgery on both thumbs was completed in 2 months. Arthritic pain gone, and healing is moving along great. The entire process with AOC was seamless. From appointments, to x-rays, to office visits, to PT, to follow-ups is perfect. And, having a surgeon suggest prayer before he operates is a blessing. Great experience.
in Commerce, Ga. |
Dr. Shuler performed carpal tunnel surgery on both hands with outstanding results. The feeling is gradually coming back in the fingers and I no longer have tingling at night. Dr. Shuler has an outstanding bed side manner and a great sense of humor. I wish all doctors were like him. He prayed with and for me before each surgery. I never had to ask questions as I felt he explained all options and procedures upfront. Very professional and great person all around. VERY PLEASED!! Thanks Dr. Shuler..
in MADSION GA |
Very professional but not aloof; Very good results; Have a finger that looks, feels, and acts normal; Would recommend this non-invasive procedure for dupuytrens
Jefferson, GA |
Excellent care from staff and Dr. Shuler.
in Monroe, GA |
Dr. Shuler performed Carpel Tunnel surgery on my left hand and three months later I had Carpel and Cupital Surgery on my right hand. I couldn't have asked for a more professional surgeon with a wonderful bedside manner who also prayed with me before my surgery both times! He is an amazing doctor and individual.
in Hull, Ga |
Dr. Shuler has operated on both my hands in the last year. He is an excellent surgeon with good bed side manners. He takes time to explain procedures and treatment so you can understand what he is going to do. He is more than happy to answer any and all questions you have about your treatment. His staff is awesome as well. I have never had an issue with scheduling appointments or talking to his nurse. We are blessed to have Dr. Shuler and his staff at AOC. Thanks Dr. Shuler for your good care.
in Greensboro, Georgia |
Dr. Shuler is an excellent physician who operated on my hand. He was very clear about what needed to be done and my outcome reflected his and my expectations. He communicates very well. Of equal importance, he is part of a large practice which includes imaging, physical therapy and many other orthopedic services. EVERY person I came in contact with was most professional and ALL procedures were done on time. This doctor and practice have the highest level of respect for the patient!
Dr. Shuler and his staff are friendly and supportive. Dr. Shuler thoroughly explains your injury, explains what to expect and takes time to listen to your concerns and answer any questions you may have. His knowledge and expertise are evident through his conversations and skills displayed.
in Greensboro, GA |
My daughter,who is 11, fell and broke her elbow in April. Dr. Shuler performed her surgery on a Monday afternoon and was just fantastic with her. He came by to check on her as he was on his way to another surgery I believe. He has always been very attentive to her and made he feel a bit easier about the whole pin removal process. Dr. Shuler and his staff have been outstanding. The hand therapy department that Dr. Shuler sent her to there at AOC was amazing. The all are awesome.
in Elberton, GA |
I had surgery on both of my hands, and I am so grateful to Dr. Shuler for his excellent care. Most important, I can now drive my car without pain, and I am so thankful to God for such a skillful surgeon. We are truly blessed in having Dr. Shuler in this area.
in Athens, GA |
I broke my left hand in a fall and was very blessed to go to AOC and have Dr. Shuler be the doctor that would end up doing my surgery. He was very professional, caring and answered all my questions. At the age of 58 this was my first broken bone and I am very excited and blessed that Sr. Shuler was there to fix my hand. He was always friendly and also a very good teacher when I ask lots of questions. I think it is great we have doctors like him that only take care of hands. He is a great doctor.
in athens ga |
Great! He's the best surgeon in town. He has performed four surgeries on me and I'm getting ready for another. I couldn't ask for a better doctor
in Jefferson, GA |
Friendly guy, very personable and did a good job with my carpal tunnel surgery.
in Athens, GA |
Very positive experience- carpal tunnel release using Dr. Shuler. Questions answered without haste; office and nursing staff were professional, courteous and great to work with. Dr. Shuler explained surgery well during pre-op visit. At post-op visit was very thorough in explaining how wrist/hand would continue to heal. Surgical pre-op area was very clean and made me comfortable as possible. Nurses worked in precision before/after surgery to expedite time there. Excellent doctor and nurses!
Have you seen Dr. Michael Shuler, MD?
Are you Dr. Shuler?

• Group Health Cooperative
  • Health Net
    Tricare
    Tricare
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio