Dr. Michael Sheehan, MD

Dr. Michael Sheehan, MD

Psychiatry  |
I have 35 years of experience in treating patients with general psychiatric issues, and have special interest, training, and research experience in anxiety, panic, depression, bipolar disorders, ADHD and Addictions. I take my time to do a thorough evaluation, to come up with a workable plan with the patient to deal with the issues at hand. My practice is pretty full, and wait times for obtaining a new evaluation (over 1 hour) may take months. I am profocient with medications, having been involved in numerous pharmacotherapy trials with various medicines in various conditions as Investigator. I was born in Ireland into a medical family and graduated Med School at 23 yrs old. I completed 11 yrs of Post Grad training in Med/surg, Ob/Gyn, pediatrics, General Psychiatry residency and Child and adolescent psychiatry. I came to the USA to direct the Addictions program at USF psychiatry center in 1987,and was involved in clinical research and teaching for 7 years before becoming Medical Director of Operation PAR the largest not-for-profit Addictions program in West Florida. I have been in private practice since then with the same psychiatrists and staff. I am double Board Certified in General Psychiatry and Addiction Psychiatry, and Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. I am listed in Best Doctors in the SE USA (elected by independent physicians). My brother is Dr David Sheehan, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at USF, and acknowledged expert in Panic Disorder and Psychiatric Diagnosis. My wife Dr Mary Sheehan is also a psychiatrist, and is Medical Director of both GracePoint and PEMHS, the Psychiatric Crisis Centers for Hillsborough and Pinellas counties. I have a grandson and 4 adult Children and now have more time to spend on Photography as an enthusiastic practitioner.

16554 N Dale Mabry Hwy

Tampa, FL 33618

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Health Net
  • WellPoint

Learn about Dr. Sheehan

See how frequently Dr. Sheehan performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Bipolar Disorder
Anxiety
Psychiatric Diseases

Dr. Sheehan's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Sheehan "I see each person as an individual functioning in his or her family and community. It is my role to help each person to function to his or her maximum potential. To that end, I perform a thorough assessment and identify the barriers that inhibit his or her optimal health. With diagnosis, treatment and ongoing monitoring, I endeavor to help maximize one's biological, psychological and social and spiritual potential."

• Psychiatry

Accredited by: American Board of Medical Specialties*

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Addiction
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Anxiety Attack
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cocaine Addiction
  • Cyclothymia (Chronic Mood Disorder)
  • Depersonalization Disorder
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Hypomania
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Marijuana Addiction
  • Nondependent Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Panic Disorder
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases

Other Education | Completed 1993
  • Univ Western Ontario
    Other Education | Completed 1987

• Listed in "Best Doctors in the USA", 1997 annu
  • "Psychiatric Diagnosis in Neurological Emergencies." In Emergent and Urgent Neurology. Sheehan, M. F. & Sheehan, D. V.:Edited by Dr. Willis Weiner., 1991
  • Dual Diagnosis, 1993
  • Snorting Benzodiazepines," Sheehan, M.F., Sheehan, D.V., Torres, A., Coppola A., Francis, E.:, 1991
  • Reliability and Validity of the Mini International Neuropsychatric Interview (MINI): According to the SCID-P. Sheehan DV, Lecrubier Y, Harnett Sheehan K., Sheehan MF.,et al:, 1997
  • Medication Assisted treatment in Addictions,, 5/17/2012

Dr. Sheehan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sheehan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sheehan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sheehan to family and friends
Dr. Sheehan's Performance
Tampa, FL |
This man saved my life! He doesnt shove you out after 15min. He takes time to listen, one of the few shrinks who truly cares about his patients.
Tampa, FL |
The doctors in this office don't authorize emotional support or service animals. When I first started going, the policy wasn't determined so it was disappointing, to me, to find out they don't. Dr. Sheehan is good at finding a medication that helps and the staff will schedule appointments anytime you need one. The TV plays health advertisements so it's difficult to read or converse. The wait time is generally long so I recommend listening to music or an audio book.
Tampa, FL |
I've been under psychiatric care for 20 years. Prior to seeing Dr. Sheehan ten years ago, I never received any consistent long term relief from my symptoms. I attribute my mental stability and wellness for the past ten years to his expertise. He is attentive, genuine and caring. I highly recommend him.
in Palm Harbor, FL |
Dr Sheehan is a wonderful, intelligent, professional who is compassionate and cares about each patient. His education and experience make him second to none.
in Plant City, Fl |
He is very responsive and complete. Always makes me feel comfortable. I have made great progress since seeing him. He can sometimes run very, very, very behind but rest assured it is ecause someone needed him and he made sure to give them complete care which is exactly what he does when YOU need him. It made be inconvenient but i just plan ahead because he is worth it. I drive an hour just to see him. He is well worth it.
in Lutz, FL |
Definitely 5 stars. I have been a patient since 2001. He takes the time to sincerely listen and help give the advice and answers you NEED to hear, not what you may want to hear. He is a straight shooter which I truly appreciate. I Highly recommend Dr. Michael Sheehan.
in Lutz, FL |
I was nervous but Dr. Sheehan was very easy to talk to and open up to. He was able to put pieces of my life together in a way that made sense. I feel he has my best interest in mind and really wants to help me. I would absolutely recommend him to someone seeking help.
in Tampa, FL |
Dr. Sheehan is an excellent psychiatrist. He does not rush you in and out on follow up visits but instead listens carefully to you. His responses are considered and thoughtful, and he is very insightful. He is also kind and compassionate. I am very happy that he is my doctor. I am doing better now than I have in years under his care.
New Port Richey, FL |
Spent a great deal of time with me on my first visit. I felt at ease from the initial handshake.
Tampa FL |
Dr Sheehan takes the time to look at everything that is going on with the patient and will make adjustments to scheduling as well as medicines as needed. I was referred to him as one of the most knowledgeable doctors in this area who knew how to find the right combinations of medications to get the best results as quickly as possible.
in St Petersburg, FL |
He spent over an hour going over my medical and mental history to create a plan that would address both short and longterm goals. He explained anything that was unclear, and was both compassionate and professional. I would highly, highly recommend him.
in Odessa, FL |
Dr. Sheehan is an amazing doctor. Though the wait time can be extensive, it is well worth the wait. Dr. Sheehan spends as much time as needed to discuss my issues, short-term solutions and long term treatment goals. I was apprehensive about seeing a doctor, but he is gentle while being straight forward. He is engaging, provides insight and incorporates my opinion in his treatment plan. I am not sure where I would be without Dr. Sheehan.
in Tampa , Fl |
Great demeanor and approachability
in Tampa, FL |
Dr Sheehan was very professional, easy to talk to and I felt very comfortable. He spent a great amount of time with me and never did I feel rushed or that he was trying to wrap things up for his next patient, which exceeded my expectation.
in Tampa, FL |
when they say running behind believe them. how do patients hold jobs when the have no idea how long the wait before your appointment! The sweet lady behind the desk said welcome to mental health when she told me he was running behind. Does ANYONE want to be welcomed to mental health!!! don't we all just want to be ok???? do they really care where your $100 comes from? will the worry about you after you are out of them? Nope! they just say they cant see you anymore. no individual care.
He is almost always running behind but he always gives you all the time you need. You don't feel like he's rushing you. He's a great doctor
Bradenton, FL |
Dr. Sheehan is a skilled, compassionate doctor. Recommended to me by a friend who is a physician. I live a distance, trip is very tiring, but worth the drive every visit. Dr. Sheehan's staff is pleasant & kind & returns calls promptly. Lobby wait time can be long, but you are never rushed out of his office when it is your time with him. Highly recommend.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Sheehan, MD?
Are you Dr. Sheehan?