Dr. Michael Sheehan, MD

Dr. Michael Sheehan, MD

Psychiatry  |
Dr. Michael Sheehan, MD is a psychiatry specialist in Tampa, FL and has been practicing for 33 years. He graduated from National University Of Ireland, Dublin, in 1977 and specializes in psychiatry, addiction psychiatry, and more.Read his story

16554 N Dale Mabry Hwy

Tampa, FL 33618

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Health Net
  • WellPoint

Learn about Dr. Sheehan

See how frequently Dr. Sheehan performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Bipolar Disorder
Anxiety
Psychiatric Diseases

Dr. Sheehan's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Sheehan's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Sheehan "I have 35 years of experience in treating patients with general psychiatric issues, and have special interest, training, and research experience in anxiety, panic, depression, bipolar disorders, ADHD and Addictions. I take my time to do a thorough evaluation, to come up with a workable plan with the patient to deal with the issues at hand. My practice is pretty full, and wait times for obtaining a new evaluation (over 1 hour) may take months. I am profocient with medications, having been involved in numerous pharmacotherapy trials with various medicines in various conditions as Investigator. I was born in Ireland into a medical family and graduated Med School at 23 yrs old. I completed 11 yrs of Post Grad training in Med/surg, Ob/Gyn, pediatrics, General Psychiatry residency and Child and adolescent psychiatry. I came to the USA to direct the Addictions program at USF psychiatry center in 1987,and was involved in clinical research and teaching for 7 years before becoming Medical Director of Operation PAR the largest not-for-profit Addictions program in West Florida. I have been in private practice since then with the same psychiatrists and staff. I am double Board Certified in General Psychiatry and Addiction Psychiatry, and Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. I am listed in Best Doctors in the SE USA (elected by independent physicians). My brother is Dr David Sheehan, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at USF, and acknowledged expert in Panic Disorder and Psychiatric Diagnosis. My wife Dr Mary Sheehan is also a psychiatrist, and is Medical Director of both GracePoint and PEMHS, the Psychiatric Crisis Centers for Hillsborough and Pinellas counties. I have a grandson and 4 adult Children and now have more time to spend on Photography as an enthusiastic practitioner."

This content was provided by Dr. Sheehan "I see each person as an individual functioning in his or her family and community. It is my role to help each person to function to his or her maximum potential. To that end, I perform a thorough assessment and identify the barriers that inhibit his or her optimal health. With diagnosis, treatment and ongoing monitoring, I endeavor to help maximize one's biological, psychological and social and spiritual potential."

• Psychiatry

Other Education | Completed 1993
  • Univ Western Ontario
    Other Education | Completed 1987

• Listed in "Best Doctors in the USA", 1997 annu
  • "Psychiatric Diagnosis in Neurological Emergencies." In Emergent and Urgent Neurology. Sheehan, M. F. & Sheehan, D. V.:Edited by Dr. Willis Weiner., 1991
  • Dual Diagnosis, 1993
  • Snorting Benzodiazepines," Sheehan, M.F., Sheehan, D.V., Torres, A., Coppola A., Francis, E.:, 1991
  • Reliability and Validity of the Mini International Neuropsychatric Interview (MINI): According to the SCID-P. Sheehan DV, Lecrubier Y, Harnett Sheehan K., Sheehan MF.,et al:, 1997
  • Medication Assisted treatment in Addictions,, 5/17/2012

Dr. Sheehan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sheehan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Sheehan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sheehan to family and friends
based on 47 total reviews (19 with comments)

Dr. Sheehan's Performance

Scheduling
Office environment
Staff friendliness
Average wait time

Dr. Sheehan is a very compassionate physician who exceeded my expectations. I’m looking forward to a healthier and more well balanced life thanks to him. I highly recommend him.
Dr. Sheehan is professional yet compassionate. Resoobds in a timely manner. Office staff is great to work with.
This man saved my life! He doesnt shove you out after 15min. He takes time to listen, one of the few shrinks who truly cares about his patients.
The doctors in this office don't authorize emotional support or service animals. When I first started going, the policy wasn't determined so it was disappointing, to me, to find out they don't. Dr. Sheehan is good at finding a medication that helps and the staff will schedule appointments anytime...more
I've been under psychiatric care for 20 years. Prior to seeing Dr. Sheehan ten years ago, I never received any consistent long term relief from my symptoms. I attribute my mental stability and wellness for the past ten years to his expertise. He is attentive, genuine and caring. I highly...more

Are you Dr. Sheehan?