Dr. Michael Russo, MD

Practices Neurology

On a scale of 1 and 5 this provider is rated 4.5 after 108 reviews.
Author:
I am Dr. Russo's patient. Dr. Russo helped me to get rid of all addictive prescription drugs. I have been using his magic device since March 2019. I have good sleep all most every night, no A-fib, no pills, and more energy and happiness. If you are looking for a good doctor for your sleeping problem, Dr. Russo is my recommendation, and he is one of the best in Hilo.
Author:
Dr Russo is the best thing that ever happened to me im so blessed with having a awesome favorite person who has mean the world to me Tia versteeg
Author:
Dr. Russo is amazing. Kind, compassionate, helpful and understanding. He amazes my husband and I with his generosity and knowledge. We are so lucky we found Dr. Russo on The Big Island and blessed to have him as my husbands neurologist.
Author:
If we could give Dr. Russo a million stars, we would do it. He is the best in the profession. This doctor has a passion to serve and goes way and above any other doctor in helping you get better. We know this from personal experience. He cares about us and our health issues. He will do the same for you. Dr. Russo is an amazing and extraordinary doctor and man!!!
Author:
The years Vicki B has been seen by Dr Russo have been positive, helpful and have improve life quality.
Author:
Saw dr. Russo for about 6 years for pain issues. Everything was all good I would go in for monthly medications no problem. Then in 2018, he started trying to cut me down (then eventually get me off) my pain meds which I did not agree with. Why all the sudden change something that's been working for me for 10 years? I was so upset that I changed providers. Not to mention that scheduling became difficult because he's always traveling. He had the best office staff back in 2014 he should have kept.
Because the pain medicines were too dangerous and I didn't want you to die.
Author:
Outstanding! Ambiance exceptional! Descent sleep now and do not need coffee anymore to get through the work day. (Quit last November) Rested and confident is a welcome relief for me at 71 years young... Michael is caring and sensitive to the well-being of others.
Author:
Dr. Russo is one of the only neurologists on Hawaii Island. That said, he is available and well liked by the other MDs I know. He has the equipment to make an analysis of the brain. Based on a few months treatment by him, I would recommend him to all I know.
Author:
Dr. Russo has been seeing my son for seizure disorder for the past year and a half. He has been excellent in every way: thoroughly explaining his medical condition, treatment options, medications and their possible effects. He and his staff show concern and compassion, are always friendly, courteous and helpful. My son did the overnight sleep testing, which was a helpful piece of the puzzle in figuring out his sleep patterns, and how they may contribute to his seizures. I highly recommend him.
Author:
Dr. Russo is patient, compassionate, and very knowledgeable in his fields of expertise. He listens very astutely to the patient's medical concerns and is able to just as importantly filter issues out not clearly expressed by the patient. His is courteous and professional in his demure. Dr. Russo answers all questions. He takes the time to talk and listen to both my child & me. His staff is friendly & prompt in responding patient check-ins & phone calls. We would definitely recommend Dr. Russo.
Author:
I have felt that "we" were missing something in the diagnosing and treatment of my 14-yo son who has suffered with a plethora of symptoms since birth. We were referred to Dr. Russo and within a month, after more thorough testing than he had ever undergone, Dr. Russo presented us with diagnosis and treatment recommendations, which included weaning him off medications he had been on for years. Glad to report my son is doing so much better now! I highly recommend Dr. Russo.
Author:
Could have died because of this man’s lack of knowledge re: Cerebral Thrombosis. He had me on a CPAP machine, and my PC was scratching his head, as my sleep study showed NO apnea. Very sad situation. He needs training on the human brain.
Sorry, Your sleep study DID show obstructive sleep apnea, and not using the CPAP for the OSA may have caused the thrombosis. Proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment are my mantra.
Author:
For over 20 years I've had severe chronic migraines (2-3 per week) in which I was on several medications. I was referred to Dr. Russo and after a couple of visits and testing I was switched to just one medication and prescribed a CPAP machine. Today, after 3 months of just the one medication and use of the CPAP I maybe will get 1 migraine per month! Thank you very much Dr. Russo for helping me after years of suffering!
Author:
Dr. Russo was a breath of fresh air. He actually listened with a sympathetic ear, and was open to alternatives to drugs. He took his time with us, explained clearly, and was informative but not condescending. We left the office reassured there was light at the end of the tunnel. We genuinely liked him and would highly recommend him!
Author:
Helpful, concerned, willing to try different drug options to improve my condition, suggests therapy for another condition that a previous neurologist gave up on, easy to talk to, good bedside manner.
Author:
Excellent physician. Listens carefully and evaluates thoroughly. Finds solutions to problems efficiently and effectively. Has a "can do" attitude and works through insurance issues, lab tests, durable medical equipment suppliers, etc. Great "bedside manner".
Author:
Very knowledgeable and thorough. I am doing much better now that I am under the care of Dr. Russo. Highly recommend.
Author:
The Hilo office environment is very small with patients crammed in a very space. Medical analysis by staff is done in a public space in front of other patients in the waiting room - absolutely no privacy or confidentiality offered. Had a very humiliating experience. Would never go there again.
Author:
I have never experienced treatment under a caregiver who displays such a level of commitment and caring to others around them. Dr. Russo is a trusted and loyal individual to look to for comfort and I am glad he is in charge of my care.
Author:
Excellent doctor. Very attentive to my symptoms, caring, friendly and with solid expertise. I would highly recommend him.
Author:
Dr Russo has been a life saver for me. No doctor was able to tell me what was wrong and for a while I was just ready to accept this was how my life was going to be. He did all sorts of tests and found a few things wrong. He is very patient,understanding,caring takes time to answer all questions and helps to eliminate fears. I would recommend Dr Russo to anyone.
Author:
Dr Russo has been very knowledgeable, informative and compassionate with my care since my initial consultation. These qualities have continued throughout my care and has changed my life in a positive manner. I look forward to our journey thru the remainder of my recovery from traumatic head and brain trauma.
Author:
Very good doctor who takes time to listen to all your symptoms and explains what testing and medication he thinks will help you to get better. Found I had very high mercury levels after 2 other doctors told me nothing was wrong. Would recommend him to family and friends!
Author:
I had seen one previous neurologist and felt that he was not helping me find out what was causing my ailment. From the first day I saw Dr. Russo, he made me comforted, supported, that he was really listening to me. He was proactive about my concerns. He didn't brush off my symptoms even though he couldn't see them. He listens and strategizes a game plan to help the patient find the answers they seek. Sometimes patients just need to know their doctors really care.
Author:
My son see Dr Russo because of his sezuires and he has been helping us to find the right medicanes for him to take.He is a awesome dr.If i need to reach him I can text him and always get a reply.He is there to help and he does help.Im glad to have a dr for my son like him
Author:
There are no longer any neurologist on the Big island. Dr. Russo comes to Kona once a month and to Hilo once a month. What a nice, sensitive caring Doctor. Blessed to find him. Took extra care with my special needs son ans spent time explaining and researching his thoughts. Highly recommend Doctor Russo
Author:
To Whom It May Concern: My name is Alfredo Pasatiempo, Jr. and I am patient who suffers from chronic pain from various surgeries to the back, ear, right knee, and herniated surgery, etc. I am writing this review to acknowledge that Dr. Russo, is an outstanding practitioner who, cares for his patients. He helped me change my life and today I am on very limited pain medications. I am an undergraduate with a degree in Psychology and now in graduate school to earn a masters, SAC.
Author:
My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons in 2006. Our first visit with Dr. Russo, took one look at my dad and after a few tests for eye movement & 10 minute exam, diagnosed him with something I never heard of, PSP (Progressive supranuclear palsy). Just Like That! after a decade of not understanding. 3-6 in every 100,000 people worldwide or approx. 20,000 Americans have PSP. 1 doctor could diagnose it Miraculous! Innovative, Caring, Compassionate, Giving is how FAITH is defined! TY your gifted!
Author:
The Wizard of Oz! He is the wizard, knowledgeable in his trade. He is beyond a neurologist. Nurturing, caring, and a great listener! What I received from him, was not treatment as a patient but as a family member that he needed to help. I will sum it up with 2 words......"GOD SENT"!!!
Author:
with each visit with Dr. Russo He made sure that all my questions were answered DEEG Hawaii was able to reveal seizures that conventional EEG's weren't able to show while giving my diagnosis Dr. Russo asked me the question of why did I suffer with high blood pressure, which in turn I found out that i suffered from a mild sleep disorder Now my health is becoming better and better I have literally seen over 100 different doctors on the mainland Docto Russo is a great doctor!
Author:
I do miss the Dr Russo that I first met 3 years ago. He was very kind, calm, undistracted. He was present in the moment, unhurried. His very presence was healing. Unfortunately, the opposite is true today. I wish he would return to how he was and become patient oriented again. To return to his passion to help people who are suffering. I see him in Oahu. I think he's the best Neurologist in Hawaii if only he isn't so distracted and overloaded and burned out. I wish him the best.
I certainly don't feel burnt out, overloaded, or distracted. But thank you for the complements on my abilities.
Author:
Served his country, serves his community, actually says aloha to you by 1st name in public unlike most drs who tend to look at the floor and walk right past you in a social setting. This level of consideration is almost unheard of in this community and is exactly what we need more of. I highly recommend him as a seasoned, talented, up to date man of quality, experience & skill. As a vet myself i can say the Army may have lost their best Neurologist in house but he continues to serve...
Author:
Pitifully distracted man who let his Oahu practice become a shambles and then leaving his Oahu patients for better stomping grounds on the Big Island where his patient load was triple. His greediness and negligence are being blamed on his current staff and as his practice diminished. he did not provide proper patient care as his businesses havegrown to include a B&B on big Island. I wouldn't recommend seeing this man unless you'd just like to talk sometime who's full of himself.
Author:
I was referred due to my issue with Essential Tremor. The medications he prescribed were for Parkinsons and completely worthless for my problem. He cause me enormous expense to travel to Honolulu for MRI and DEEG, neither of which were explained as to what their use was for my issue. Only after the fact did he say the MRI was to determine if I'd ever had a stroke (I haven't) and never was the DEEG explained. I highly suspect he took me as a patient only to get my Medicare money! Terrible!
At the time, we did not know what type of movement disorder you had - that's why we obtain the MRI and EEG and try medications deemed most appropriate. Sorry for your experience. I certainly tried my best. - MR