Dr. Michael Russo, MD

Neurology | Male

Michael B. Russo, MD, Inc 250 Ward Ave Ste 170 Honolulu, HI 96814 Get Directions
Dr. Michael Russo, MD
Michael B Russo, MD FACP, FAAN, FAASM, FAsMA graduated from Princeton University and received his medical degree from Chicago Medical School in 1986. He trained in Neurology at New York University Medical Center, at Bellevue Hospital, the Manhattan Veteran's Administration Hospital, the NINDs Intramural Epilepsy Program of the National Institutes of Health, and the Chalfont St Giles Epilepsy Center of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery at Queens Square, London, England. He trained in Sleep Disorders Medicine at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research. During his 34 years in the US Army he served as Commander of US Medical Forces Central America; Director of Neurosciences Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Chief of Mental Health Services, US Army Kuwait; 2nd Brigade Surgeon, 1st Armor Division (Old Ironsides) Germany; Chief of Neurology 121 Evacuation Hospital Seoul Korea; and physician for the US Embassies in Beijing, Bangkok, Prague, and Budapest. In 2001 he was selected for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs' of Staff Award for Excellence in Military Medicine by General Peter Pace, the highest award given to a US military physician. He has also been awarded Meritorious Service Medal and other civilian and military awards, and has been inducted into the US Army Order of Military Medical Merit. Dr. Russo has over 100 peer reviewed articles and abstracts; book chapters and US Patents. Upon his retirement from the Army in 2011, Dr. Russo founded Hawaii Pacific DEEG (Dense-Array 128 Channel Electroencephalography) to bring Hawaii State-of-the-Art diagnostics for Traumatic Brain Injury, and Honolulu Neuroscience Clinic with offices in Honolulu, Hilo, and Kona. He is incoming President of the Hawaii Neurological Society. He is Founding Co-Director of the Hawaii Sleep and Wellness Foundation, the leading sleep advocacy foundation in Hawaii.

Dr. Russo's Care Philosophy

Listening, caring, personalized attention. I strive to identify the cause of your problem. Once the cause is identified, I seek to fix the problem. I don't believe in treating symptoms without identifying the reason for the symptoms. I do not want to hide the problem by covering it with medications - I want to help you heal so that you don't need medicine. Minimize the use of drugs and maximize the use of your intrinsic healing abilities.

Dr. Russo's Experience

See how Dr. Russo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Russo

Dr. Russo accepts 15 insurance carriers

Dr. Russo is now accepting new patients

Dr. Russo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Russo to family and friends
Dr. Russo's Performance
in Kona, hawaii |
Dr. Russo was a breath of fresh air. He actually listened with a sympathetic ear, and was open to alternatives to drugs. He took his time with us, explained clearly, and was informative but not condescending. We left the office reassured there was light at the end of the tunnel. We genuinely liked him and would highly recommend him!
in pahoa, hi |
Helpful, concerned, willing to try different drug options to improve my condition, suggests therapy for another condition that a previous neurologist gave up on, easy to talk to, good bedside manner.
Kula, HI |
Excellent physician. Listens carefully and evaluates thoroughly. Finds solutions to problems efficiently and effectively. Has a "can do" attitude and works through insurance issues, lab tests, durable medical equipment suppliers, etc. Great "bedside manner".
in Hilo, HI |
Very knowledgeable and thorough. I am doing much better now that I am under the care of Dr. Russo. Highly recommend.
Pahoa, HI |
The Hilo office environment is very small with patients crammed in a very space. Medical analysis by staff is done in a public space in front of other patients in the waiting room - absolutely no privacy or confidentiality offered. Had a very humiliating experience. Would never go there again.
in Wahiawa, HI |
I have never experienced treatment under a caregiver who displays such a level of commitment and caring to others around them. Dr. Russo is a trusted and loyal individual to look to for comfort and I am glad he is in charge of my care.
in Honolulu, HI |
Excellent doctor. Very attentive to my symptoms, caring, friendly and with solid expertise. I would highly recommend him.
in Kailua Kona, HI |
Dr Russo has been a life saver for me. No doctor was able to tell me what was wrong and for a while I was just ready to accept this was how my life was going to be. He did all sorts of tests and found a few things wrong. He is very patient,understanding,caring takes time to answer all questions and helps to eliminate fears. I would recommend Dr Russo to anyone.
in Hilo, HI |
Dr Russo has been very knowledgeable, informative and compassionate with my care since my initial consultation. These qualities have continued throughout my care and has changed my life in a positive manner. I look forward to our journey thru the remainder of my recovery from traumatic head and brain trauma.
in Hilo, HI |
Very good doctor who takes time to listen to all your symptoms and explains what testing and medication he thinks will help you to get better. Found I had very high mercury levels after 2 other doctors told me nothing was wrong. Would recommend him to family and friends!
in Honolulu, HI |
I had seen one previous neurologist and felt that he was not helping me find out what was causing my ailment. From the first day I saw Dr. Russo, he made me comforted, supported, that he was really listening to me. He was proactive about my concerns. He didn't brush off my symptoms even though he couldn't see them. He listens and strategizes a game plan to help the patient find the answers they seek. Sometimes patients just need to know their doctors really care.
in Hilo, HI |
My son see Dr Russo because of his sezuires and he has been helping us to find the right medicanes for him to take.He is a awesome dr.If i need to reach him I can text him and always get a reply.He is there to help and he does help.Im glad to have a dr for my son like him
in Kailua Kona, HI |
There are no longer any neurologist on the Big island. Dr. Russo comes to Kona once a month and to Hilo once a month. What a nice, sensitive caring Doctor. Blessed to find him. Took extra care with my special needs son ans spent time explaining and researching his thoughts. Highly recommend Doctor Russo
in Honolulu, HI |
To Whom It May Concern: My name is Alfredo Pasatiempo, Jr. and I am patient who suffers from chronic pain from various surgeries to the back, ear, right knee, and herniated surgery, etc. I am writing this review to acknowledge that Dr. Russo, is an outstanding practitioner who, cares for his patients. He helped me change my life and today I am on very limited pain medications. I am an undergraduate with a degree in Psychology and now in graduate school to earn a masters, SAC.
in Kapolei, HI |
My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons in 2006. Our first visit with Dr. Russo, took one look at my dad and after a few tests for eye movement & 10 minute exam, diagnosed him with something I never heard of, PSP (Progressive supranuclear palsy). Just Like That! after a decade of not understanding. 3-6 in every 100,000 people worldwide or approx. 20,000 Americans have PSP. 1 doctor could diagnose it Miraculous! Innovative, Caring, Compassionate, Giving is how FAITH is defined! TY your gifted!
in Kapolei, HI |
The Wizard of Oz! He is the wizard, knowledgeable in his trade. He is beyond a neurologist. Nurturing, caring, and a great listener! What I received from him, was not treatment as a patient but as a family member that he needed to help. I will sum it up with 2 words......"GOD SENT"!!!
in Honolulu, HI |
with each visit with Dr. Russo He made sure that all my questions were answered DEEG Hawaii was able to reveal seizures that conventional EEG's weren't able to show while giving my diagnosis Dr. Russo asked me the question of why did I suffer with high blood pressure, which in turn I found out that i suffered from a mild sleep disorder Now my health is becoming better and better I have literally seen over 100 different doctors on the mainland Docto Russo is a great doctor!
in Kapolei,HI |
I do miss the Dr Russo that I first met 3 years ago. He was very kind, calm, undistracted. He was present in the moment, unhurried. His very presence was healing. Unfortunately, the opposite is true today. I wish he would return to how he was and become patient oriented again. To return to his passion to help people who are suffering. I see him in Oahu. I think he's the best Neurologist in Hawaii if only he isn't so distracted and overloaded and burned out. I wish him the best.
in hilo hawaii |
Served his country, serves his community, actually says aloha to you by 1st name in public unlike most drs who tend to look at the floor and walk right past you in a social setting. This level of consideration is almost unheard of in this community and is exactly what we need more of. I highly recommend him as a seasoned, talented, up to date man of quality, experience & skill. As a vet myself i can say the Army may have lost their best Neurologist in house but he continues to serve...
Ewa Beach, HI |
Pitifully distracted man who let his Oahu practice become a shambles and then leaving his Oahu patients for better stomping grounds on the Big Island where his patient load was triple. His greediness and negligence are being blamed on his current staff and as his practice diminished. he did not provide proper patient care as his businesses havegrown to include a B&B on big Island. I wouldn't recommend seeing this man unless you'd just like to talk sometime who's full of himself.
in Honokaa, HI |
If i could put zero stars i would! I was a new patient last month and when i went to go see im his office was so unprofessional! there were no doors anywhere in the office and you could clearly hear him with his patient before me from the waiting room, i left before my appointment because i do not wish to share my personal information with his whole office. this is a warning to any potential patients !!! i would not recommend unless your comfortable with other patients hearing you
in Hilo, HI |
I was referred due to my issue with Essential Tremor. The medications he prescribed were for Parkinsons and completely worthless for my problem. He cause me enormous expense to travel to Honolulu for MRI and DEEG, neither of which were explained as to what their use was for my issue. Only after the fact did he say the MRI was to determine if I'd ever had a stroke (I haven't) and never was the DEEG explained. I highly suspect he took me as a patient only to get my Medicare money! Terrible!
Have you seen Dr. Michael Russo, MD?
Are you Dr. Russo?

Compare Dr. Russo

Dr. Russo says...

He is incoming President of the Hawaii Neurological Society. He is Founding Co-Director of the Hawaii Sleep and Wellness Foundation, the leading sleep advocacy foundation in Hawaii.

Dr. Russo's Care Philosophy

Dr. Russo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurology
  •  Board certified in Neurology and Sleep Medicine
  •  Malpractice claims in Hawaii not available

• Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Excellence in Military Medicine. Selected by Surgeon Gen as best physician in US Army, 2001
    • Military Medical Merit. Awarded by Chief of Staff, Honuran Armed Forces for humanitarian medical work in Honduras, 2000
    • Over 100 journal articles, book chapters, medical abstracts and presentations, patents. Book and Journal editor, journal editorial board.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Hawaii.

Why It Matters: Dr. Russo's Board Certifications

• Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Meningiomas
  • Mild Cognitive Impairment
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Nerve Diseases
  • Neuromuscular Diseases
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Restless Leg Syndrome
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Spinal Cord Tumor
  • Spinal Cord and Brain Disorders
  • Syncope
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)

Chicago Medical School

Walter Reed Army Institute of Research

Completed in 1999

Princeton University

Graduated in 1981

Dr. Russo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Russo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurology