Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Michael Peelle, MD
Dr. Peelle has over 10 years experience in spinal surgery. He started his career as a fellow at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, the #1 ranked Orthopedic hospital in the nation. Then he served 6 years as a military officer and orthopedic spine surgeon at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. He earned the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and numerous awards including the Air Force Meritorious Service Medal. He deployed to Afghanistan for 6 months assisting hundreds of our soldiers injured in the battlefield. Dr. Peelle moved to Columbia, South Carolina in 2012 to become part of Moore Orthopedics. Since that time, the group merged into Palmetto Health-USC Orthopedic Center. Dr. Peelle has treated thousands of adults with neck and back pain. He routinely performs surgical procedures to relieve neurologic problems in the cervical and lumbar spine. He is an expert in microsurgical disc removal and disc replacement procedures. Dr. Peelle routinely receives referrals for patients with complex spine problems and for patients whose previous spine surgery was not successful.

14 Medical Park Rd

Columbia, SC 29203

Learn about Dr. Peelle

Every patient is important to me.  Every patient has a unique situation that warrants my time and compassion.  I have the experience and expertise to treat your back and neck conditions so let's work together to improve your life situation.  I understand that back and neck pain can be overwhelming, frustrating, and quite frankly, very painful.  I have treated thousands of previous patients with your condition employing nonsurgical and surgical options to achieve your desired outcome.  This is a team effort!   I promise to give you an honest evaluation of your condition and outline treatment options to help you make informed decisions of your health.

Dr. Peelle's Experience

Dr. Peelle's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Pseudoarthrosis

• Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Discectomy
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Total Disc Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

• Duke University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1996
  • Washington University In St Louis School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated
  • Washington University In St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
  • Hospital For Special Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Peelle has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Peelle does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Peelle and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Peelle's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Peelle to family and friends
4.0
Dr. Peelle Says:

Feedback is always welcome!  I am striving to provide excellent patient care to every person that comes into the office.  I hope we can work together to resolve your back and neck ailments.

Dr. Peelle's Performance
Columbia, SC |
Disc Replacement, back to work in 3 weeks.
in Lexington, SC |
Dr. Peelle took care of me after I injured my back. I was impressed with his knowledge and the fact that he did not immediately want to rush me to surgery. After trying several options, he operated and now I feel like my old self. His office staff was very friendly and helpful as well. Everyone really seemed to care about me as a person. I would suggest anyone with a back problem visit Dr. Peelle.
in Ridgeway, SC |
My spine surgery has been such an amazing journey. I could not be happier with the results - standing straight, no more leg pain. I realize I have more to go, but can't say enough about Dr. Peelle and his staff. Fabulous! Dr. Peelle listens and explains thoroughly! Am able to walk 1 mile which I hadn't been able to do for over 3 years!
in Orangeburg, SC |
Dr. Peelle is an excellent surgeon; I would highly recommend him. First surgery (lumbar ruptured disc removal) was outpatient; no complications, immediate relief and back to work in 3 days. The second surgery (three cervical discs removed and replaced with plate and 6 screws) was a one night stay; no complications, immediate relief and back to work in 7 days. He was very thorough and patient in explaining my condition, the surgery and expectations. 100% improvement to quality of life :)
in Lugoff, SC |
I can not say enough positive things about Dr. Peelle and his staff. I got appointments quickly. I never had to wait longer that 10 minutes in the waiting room for any of my appointments. His staff went above and beyond in dealing with my difficult insurance company. Dr. Peelle was excellent at explaining my options to me and answering all of my questions. He spent time with me and I never felt rushed. My follow-ups with Rebecca were wonderful. She was patient and always helpful.
Columbia, SC |
The care I received over the past 3 years from Dr. Peelle and his care team has been exceptional! Dr. Peelle explained both surgical procedures he performed in detail to me. He and his staff answered all questions, promptly returned phone calls, emails, and refill requests for prescriptions. They were always professional and genuinely interested in my well being. Dr. Peelle has an extraordinary bedside manner and I would and have recommended him to my family, friends, and co-workers!!
in Lexington, SC |
I had a spinal microsurgery done by Dr. Peele in April, 2017, he did a great job and cured my herniated disc problem. Before the surgery, he answered all of my questions patiently and explained what would be the best treatment for my condition. I would trust him if I ever need to see a spinal doctor again (hopefully not), and recommend for others.
in Lugoff, SC |
Fantastic Physican. Dr. Peelle took the time to discuss treatment options. He performed microdiscectomy on my lower back and did an awesome job. I highly recommend him for any back problems.
in Irmo, SC |
I am delighted that I was referred to Dr. Peelle, who helped determine why shots, PT, and and an epidural had not lessened the tingling, pain, and numbness I felt on standing. From the first visit, Dr. Peelle's staff was helpful, cheerful, and professional. When Dr. Peelle suggested his plan to replace worn discs and add metal parts to correct herniated disc and nerve blockage, I trusted his expertise. I have my life back now, I can walk, sit, stand and do more than I could before surgery.
Irmo, SC |
I was very pleased with Dr. Michael Peele. He did surgery on my back to correct a problem with spinal stenosis. The operation was successful and his follow-up was very good. His PA Rebecca also did an excellent job during follow-up appointments.
in Lexington, SC |
Dr. Peelle is very professional. i really really really liked him and his staff. He listened to all my concerns and took them seriously. He always proposed a solution. Paula. M. Flake
in Springfield, SC |
Dr. Peelle did a cervical fusion on me in October 2016. It has been six months since the surgery, and I have progressed well. I have had virtually no pain and am really not limited in my daily activities. I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Peelle to family and friends.
Florence, SC |
Outstanding! Reliable surgeon. He's done two separate surgeries on me and the results have been wonderful with both.
in Columbia, SC |
I found Dr. Peelle to be very good listener, and insightful in understanding my symptoms as I described them. He is very patient in explaining what is occurring. I am very thankful that he is my surgeon. And he has a real jewel in Becca Asa his PA.
in west columbia, sc |
I saw Dr. Peelle due to cyst on my spine. On my first visit, I was comfortable with him and the staff. Had been in excruciating pain for over two months and being treated for sciatica issues. Decided I needed an orthopedic doc. Self-referred to Dr. Peelle who promptly scheduled surgery at Palmetto Health Parkridge Hospital ( very good experience there also.) The day of my surgery my pain was eliminated. Could have walked out of hospital! Would recommend Dr. Peelle for spine issues!!
Columbia, SC |
A great doctor. He listened to everything I had to say and he worked with my insurance to approve the treatments. Luckily I didn't need surgery but I would return to him if I do need surgery in the future.
in Blythewood, SC |
After 11 & a half years of chronic back pain I saw Dr. Peelee. I had tried everything; epidurals, rehab...all methods of suggested relief without improvement. When I saw Dr. Peelee after my MRI, I walked in with a written list of questions and concerns. He didn't rush me and he patiently answered each one. I was nervous about proceeding with surgery; however, it was the best decision I ever made. I woke from surgery with absolutely no pain. He is a skilled specialist!
He really helped me with my pain. My back feels much better now.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Peelle, MD?
Are you Dr. Peelle?