Dr. Michael A. Nelson, MD

Dr. Michael A. Nelson, MD

Cardiology | Male | 42 years old

96 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results

Dr. Nelson has great passion and vision about his commitment to individualized patient care and quality.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Nelson was born and raised in New York. He attended medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine...Read more

Dr. Nelson's Experience

See how Dr. Nelson's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Nelson

Dr. Nelson accepts 13 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Nelson has admitting privileges.

Dr. Nelson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Nelson to family and friends
Dr. Nelson's Performance
Memphis, TN |
Dr. Nelson was great. The office staff were great. The billing department is terrible - very poor contact and communication.
Germantown, TN |
Dr. Nelson does not explain Test or provide a solution to problems. "Let's just wait and see." After a CT Scan that he ordered, he did not review it and missed a life threatening blockage that another doctor found. It was corrected with surgery within a month after it was discovered. His support staff (Pam) is not much better. Dr. Nelson leaves her with the patient to answer questions, but you don't learn anything. Get a second opponent.
in Mason, TN |
Kind, courteous and straightforward. I could it have been happier with the care that I received from Dr. Nelson and his staff.
in Memphis Tn |
Doc Nelson and his entire staff is the best, professional engaging and fun nothing but LOVE !!!!!!
in Bartlett, TN |
Dr. Nelson and his entire staff are very professional and caring. They always took their time to make sure I was well informed. From my very first visit I felt as though I had been he patient for years.
in Bartlett tn |
Very pleasant experience. The staff made me feel very comfortable and at ease. Dr Nelson was very nice and listened to my questions and answered them all. He took his time with me and didnt make me feel like he was in a rush.
in Germantown, TN |
During a procedure, Dr. Nelson's staff follows well documented procedures, speaks what they are doing out loud so that the entire team is cross checking that every protocol for setup for your procedure is in place. Then Dr. Nelson comes in and checks again. From a quality perspective in medicine, this is exactly what every patient wants when having ANY invasive surgical procedure to minimize risk. Dr. Nelson & team cured leg aches that I have had since I was ten years old!
in Memphis, TN |
The staff was professional and thorough. They made me feel comfortable from the moment I walked in the door. Dr. Nelson listens and explains his findings in a carring and compassionate manner. Great practice that I would highly reccommend to anone in need of a cardiologist!
in Memphis, TN |
Dr. Nelson's office was able to get me in quickly, and while the wait tends to be lengthy, Dr. Nelson is always very personable and never rushes through the appointment. He answered all my questions and made me feel very comfortable with all of the testing.
in Collierville, TN |
First rate, caring care. Thorough, direct, professional. Can't imagine better.
in Memphis, TN |
Generally speaking, this practice is run very efficiently. I did, however, experience a few long waits. Dr. Nelson and the staff are courteous and friendly. Some knew my name the second time I had an appointment. The procedures were performed in a professional manner.
Memphis, TN |
Very good experience. Staff very professional!
in Germantown, TN |
Superb, caring doctor who is thoughtful and reasonable in his approach to treatment. He listens closely to my concerns so we work together on my health. I give Dr. Nelson my strongest recommendation.
in Tennessee |
Very pleased with his performance and explain in detail.
Memphis, TN |
I had the best experience with Dr. Nelson. Even his staff is amazing! From the techs to the medical receptionist. Just a very happy office environment and pleasant visit overall. I highly recommend Dr. Nelson.
in Ripley,Tn |
An awesome Dr. that takes his time with his patients & is very caring .
in London, KY |
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Nelson. He's been my cardiologist since I had an aortic valve replacement in 2012. He's very personable and professional, always listening and giving friendly advice. I live in Kentucky now but I still drive to Memphis for my checkups!
in Memphis, TN |
I always get the best care at Pro Active Heart & Vascular. Everyone is so kind and helpful and they remember that I am a person not just a condition. Dr. Nelson listens to what my concerns are and he answers my questions honestly and when I need it with humor. This is what healing is about. Thank you
in Cordova, TN |
Great doctor and staff!
in Southaven, MS |
Dr. Nelson is an excellent doctor in my opinion. He was very attentive, compassionate, and friendly on my first visit and continues this same spirit of caring each time I visit him. He really put me at ease by detailing the procedures he would perform on me and the reasons why they were needed. He has a very pleasant and easy going personality that makes me feel I have known him for years.
in Memphis, TN |
Dr. Nelson has a warm and kind demeanor. From the first meeting I felt very comfortable with him.
in Tishomingo, MS |
Dr. Nelson has a wonderful bedside manner. He listens to what you what you have to say and explains in details to where anyone will understand. I highly recommend him.
in Cordova, TN |
I've been a client of Dr. Nelson's for more than 2 years, and am very satisfied with his service. He is attentive to my needs, and he has an excellent staff.
in Memphis, TN |
Very professional and personable office. You are not just a patient but family!
in Germantown, TN |
My visit with Dr. Nelson was set by Dr. Wegner's office at St. Francis Weight Loss Center. The exam was ordered prior to gastric bypass surgery. I was very impressed with Dr. Nelson and his staff. He was very thorough with his examination, evaluation and explanation. His nursing staff was also very thorough and courteous. Kudos to the office staff as well. The lady at the front desk really made me feel at home. Totally a wonderful experience!
in Corinth , MS |
This was a pre surgery exam for bariatric surgery. The wait time was long but that's probably because he takes time with his patients. Dr. Nelson was very good at explaining and made me feel comfortable. He made me feel that my health was important. Great experience.
in Oakland, TN |
Dr. Nelson is extremely thorough, very knowledgeable, and has great "bedside manner". I am very happy that he was recommended to my by Dr. Mullinex at St. Francis. If you are experiencing any cardiovascular problems, he's your man.
in Memphis, TN |
Very proficient and caring..... takes time to discuss options!
in Germantown, TN |
Dr. Nelson is reassuring, kind and leaves no stone un turned. His nursing staff is first class and well trained. All in all, because this is a smaller clinic, these professionals treat you as "real" people not just someone in a patient data base. There's just no reason for anyone in a 100 mile radius to think about going anywhere else. (Altho, I know this would mean a bigger practice for them, I cant imagine them taking less time , or being any less patient oriented). Mary Smith
in Memphis, TN |
I had a problem with swollen ankles. After a few visits with Dr. Nelson, I no longer swell. I highly recommend him.
in Munford, TN |
I love Dr. Nelson and his staff. Everyone is so pleasant and courteous and caring.
in Memphis, TN |
Dr. Nelson is personable and made my first visit easy. He was also through. His staff was helpful and cheerful.
in Bartlett, Tn |
Very thorough and pleasant and cordial. He explains things well.
in Memphis, Tennessee |
My experience has been very good Doctor Nelson is a superior doctor and yes, I would/will recommend Dr. Nelson to others. His staff does exceptional work. They are professionals, well trained, and good at what they do. Well done! Thanks for caring for me.
in Collierville, TN |
Great personality, good with patients. Takes the time to explain procedures before, during, and after. Will answer all your questions.
in Bartlett, TN |
He was very interested in my health. He has a great bedside manner that to many other male doctors don't have. He is caring and well educated to take care of all of your needs.
in Memphis, TN |
I was initially referred to Dr. Nelson because of an undiagnosed heart arrhythmia. In the process of diagnosing and monitoring the arrhythmia, Dr. Nelson also discovered a secondary issue after I mentioned an issue I thought was completely unrelated. Both issues have now been treated, and I'm feeling great. The entire ProActive Heart staff has been wonderful and provides excellent, attentive care during each visit.
in Collierville, TN |
Ability to be seen quickly. Was seen soon after arrival time. Very professional staff.
in Byhalia,ms |
Great Dr good beside manner help saved the love of my life
in Arlington, TN |
Outstanding doctor that truly cares for his patients!!
in Germantown, Tn |
Had a great experience with my vein procedures. Dr Nelson took time to explain every step of each procedure. All of my questions were answered. The staff is very helpful and so caring.
in Memphis, TN |
Dr Nelson is very professional and the staff is very nice. Be prepared to have extra free time for your appointment because between completing tests and Dr. Nelson walking into the examination room it took about 90 minutes the first visit and 60 minutes the second.
in Arlington, TN |
Dr. Nelson and his staff we just wonderful in helping me with my condition. I would highly recommend them for any vein issues.
in Selmer, TN |
Dr. Nelson and his staff are a caring and professional medical team. Very impressed that their scheduling is within acceptable time frames and you are not left sitting for hours. Procedures are explained as well as pre and post instructions. I could not be happier to have Dr. Nelson as my experienced and caring cardiologist and vascular professional. From the front desk to the insurance to the members of his staff, Dr. Nelson is an excellent experience.
in Memphis, TN |
Dr. Nelson is an excellent doctor, he truly cares about his patients. The staff also fantastic, and care about your well-being.
in Memphis, TN |
Dr. Nelson treats his patients like family. The staff in the office are incredible.
in Oakland, TN |
Dr. Nelson is very personable and the nursing staff are great that means a lot.
in Eads, TN |
Dr Nelson and his staff are very knowledgeable. Also friendly and courteous. I would definitely recommend him.
in Memphis, TN |
The staff was very professional and friendly. Dr. Nelson was very attentive and really explained everything about my procedure. I really had a wonderful experience with the entire process. I would highly recommend him to everyone.
Cordova, TN |
Extemely nice and knowledgable. Wonderful staff. You can get in touch with nurses and staff easily and they always get back to you quickly.
Have you seen Dr. Michael A. Nelson, MD?
Are you Dr. Nelson?

Compare Dr. Nelson

Dr. Nelson says...

Dr. Nelson was born and raised in New York.  He attended medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and then left the New York area for his advanced medical training.  Dr. Nelson completed his residency in Internal Medicine at Yale University and discovered the beauty of the South while performing his Cardiology Fellowship at Emory University in Atlanta, GA.  Dr. Nelson completed an additional fellowship in Interventional Cardiology and Vascular disease at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston, MA, one of the Harvard hospitals.  In 2008, Dr. Nelson and his family settled in Memphis, TN.  In Dr. Nelson's spare time he enjoys spending time with his wife and 4 children.

Dr. Nelson's Care Philosophy

Dr. Nelson says...

At Proactive Heart & Vein Center we treat the spectrum of Cardiology Disease, from basic hypertension to advanced cardiac atherectomy and stenting.  Dr. Nelson also treats Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) as well as an additional specialty and certification in Vein Disease.  We are dedicated to helping our patients feel better and finding out what may be preventing them  from doing what they enjoy most.  Dr. Nelson is board certified and fellowship trained in each area that he treats.

Dr. Nelson says...

Dr. Nelson is board certified in Interventional Cardiology, which includes the angiography, stenting and atherectomy procedures that Dr. Nelson performs in both patients coronaries (hearts) as well as legs and kidneys.  Dr. Nelson is also board certified in Vascular and Endovascular Medicine, with an additional board certification in Phlebology, which is the treatment of Vein Disease.

Dr. Nelson's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Cardiology
  •  Board certified in Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine, Interventional Cardiology and Phlebology

Dr. Nelson has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

Why It Matters: Dr. Nelson's Board Certifications

• Cardiovascular Disease
  • Interventional Cardiology
  • Phlebology

• Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
  • Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Acute Venous Embolism Thrombosis
  • Cardiomyopathy
  • Cardiovascular Disease
  • Carotid Artery Disease
  • Chest Pain
  • Chronic Pulmonary Heart Diseases (incl. Pulmonary Hypertension)
  • Congenital Heart Defects
  • Congestive Heart Failure
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Endocarditis
  • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
  • Heart Disease
  • Heart Murmur
  • Heart Palpitations
  • Hypertensive Chronic Kidney Disease
  • Hypertensive Heart Disease
  • Hypertensive Heart and Chronic Kidney Disease
  • Hypotension
  • Limb Swelling Caused by Fluid Overload
  • Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome (MALS)
  • Mitral Valve Disease
  • Pericardial Disease
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm and Dissection
  • Peripheral Arterial Disease of Extremities
  • Peripheral Arterial Embolism and Thrombosis
  • Peripheral Artery Disease
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Pulmonary Hypertension
  • Pulmonary Valve Disease
  • Renal Artery Arteriosclerotic Disease
  • Secondary Hypertension
  • Septal Defect
  • Syncope
  • Thrombosis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tricuspid Valve Disease

Completed in 2006

Harvard Medical School

Completed in 2007

Yeshiva

Dr. Nelson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Nelson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Cardiology
  • Venous and Lymphatic Medicine

• Angioplasty With Stent Placement
  • Arteriovenous Shunt Creation
  • Cardiac Angiography
  • Cardiac Catheterization (incl. Coronary Angiography)
  • Cardiac Electrophysiology
  • Cardiac Imaging
  • Cardiac Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
  • Cardiovascular Stress Test
  • Cardioversion, Elective
  • Cardioverter-Defibrillator or Pacemaker Insertion, Removal or Repair
  • Carotid Ultrasound
  • Chest CT (incl. Heart and Lungs)
  • Coronary Angiogram