Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Male
Dr. Michael Murray, MD
Dr. Murray is a board certified spine surgeon with the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. He specializes in a wide range of surgical procedures ranging from outpatient minimally invasive surgery to complex spinal reconstructions for spinal deformity. Dr. Murray earned his medical degree from the University of Illinois where he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha society and graduated with honors. He then completed an orthopedic surgery residency at Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois followed by a spine fellowship at the Emory Spine Center in Atlanta, Georgia. Prior to beginning practice with Penn Orthopedics, Dr. Murray was a faculty member at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. While practicing in Baltimore he was involved in spinal surgery research and education of orthopedic surgery residents earning the Golden Apple Award for excellence in teaching and mentorship. Dr. Murray has also published multiple scientific articles, lectured at national spine conferences and has served as an instructor, teaching minimally invasive surgical techniques to practicing spine surgeons.

Penn Orthopedics - Exton

479 Thomas Jones Way Ste 300

Exton, PA 19341

Learn about Dr. Murray

Dr. Murray's Experience

Dr. Murray's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery

Accredited by: American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery*

• Broken Neck
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Pseudoarthrosis
  • Sacrum Disorders
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture

• Disc Replacement
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• University Of Illinois At Chicago / College Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated
  • Northwestern-McGaw Med Ctr
  • Emory University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Murray has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Murray does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Murray and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Murray's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Murray to family and friends
Dr. Murray's Performance
in North East, MD |
I was sent to Dr. Murray for surgery to replace a cervical disc. Dr. Murray is very easy to talk to, and took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions and to make it very clear what I could expect with the surgery and the recovery. On the day of the surgery Dr. Murray came to see me in pre-op to make sure I was comfortable and that all my questions had been answered. He again saw me after the surgery to let me know everything went well. I highly recommend him to anyone.
Wilmington, DE |
I was very pleased by Dr. Murray's attention to my questions and the clarity with which he answered them. He discussed surgical and other options with me intelligently, including risks and expected outcomes. He seemed very willing to spend as much time with me as was needed to discuss all of my concerns.
in Hockessin, DE |
Dr. Murray is easy to talk to. He listens to you and does not make you feel rushed. I feel confident and on the same page with him after our first meeting and that has continued throughout our history. His follow up post surgery was the best and I would include his staff with that statement also. After discharging me from the hospital a few days after my surgery I had to return to the hospital with issues not related to my surgery. Dr. Murray continued to check in on me every day. Thank You Dr.
in Newark, DE |
Dr. Murray has a friendly open manner and is a great communicator - he listens carefully and explains things well. My lumbar fusion was a success and very easy to recover from. Follow up was great - he is easy to contact and called me twice in addition to the post-op in-hospital visit. I have already recommended him to a friend who had a fusion two years ago and now needs more work.
in Glen Mills, PA |
Before having spine surgery I did my homework... I got an opinion from another surgeon in Delaware and also went to the Rothman Institute. Dr. Murray exceeded my expectations and stood out, head and shoulders above the other doctors both as a surgeon and in his ability to connect with his patients.
in Wyoming, DE |
Very considerate, professional and has excellent relationships with his patients. Excellent doctor and surgeon. Would recommend to any person having back or leg issues.
in Bear, Delaware |
Dr. Murray was wonderful and very professional. he was very compassionate and spent a great deal of time answering all of my questions and concerns. He and his staff were quick to call me back when I had questions. I felt great immediately after surgery. I would definitely recommend him to family and friends. The surgery was a great success and I have not felt pain free in many years.
in Bear, DE |
Dr. Murray was very professional and did a great job in explaining my options. He explained my situation in terms that I could understand and gave me his recommendation on the course of action that would benefit me the most. I was very satisfied with my end results from my back surgery. I would recommend Dr. Murray to anyone suffering lower back pain.
in Wilmington, DE |
The consideration during the consultation, and the feeling of ease, made this experience so much easier. The staff and doctor were wonderful, and easy to talk with during the entire experience. The time everyone took to explain procedures was very helpful.
in Hockessin, DE |
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Murray. At first I was hesitant about surgery but he was able to explain everything so that I could understand and put me at ease. The results of surgery are even better that I had hoped!
in Middletown, DE |
He was very easy to talk to. He explained my options. He listened carefully to my concerns and questions. He wanted to make sure I understood and that he had answered everything satisfactorily. I did not feel rushed at all when at my appointments.
in Lewes, DE |
Dr Murray was recommended to me by Dr Scott Roberts. After (2) consults, we decided that a laminectomy would be a viable alternative and long term solution to deal with my chronic discomfort and pain due to spinal stenosis. Through out this process, Dr Murray was very patient, listened, answered all my questions, displayed thorough knowledge my condition and how to address it. To his credit, he did not push this procedure on me, but made sure I had enough info to make an educated decision.
in New Castle DE |
Great bedside. I have had low back pain for over 20 years. After surgery I don't have constant pain. No pain medication required.
in Wilmington, DE |
Extremely competent. Great personality Totally pleased with the whole experience
in Townsend, DE |
Dr. Murray was amazing when I met him in the emergency room with a ruptured disc. He ordered a couple tests, and had a plan when he came in. Operated the very next morning and my pain went from a 10 to a 0. No issues since and my followup appointment went smoothly - he offered PT if I felt I needed it (wow - a doctor that cares what the patient thinks!). I would absolutely go to him again or send a family member to him as my first choice.
in Wilmington, DE |
Dr. Murray has been one of the best doctors I've ever encountered in my lifetime, very genuine at heart and his upfront honest in comfort has given me no regrets of ever getting my microdisectomy performed his step by step process was gratifying and understandable being that this is my first surgery if i have to do it again Dr. Murray will be the first person i call.
Newark, DE |
I saw Dr. Murray as a third opinion. I was told that I would need a spinal fusion and that I would be in the hospital for three or four days. Dr. Murray told me that he could do a minimally invasive surgery and that I would go home the next day. I thought it was too good to be true, but Dr. Murray was true to his word! My entire experience was great from start to finish!!
in Middletown, DE |
Very thorough. Explained everything clearly. As I was leaving the hospital outpatient area after the surgery, he met me to see how I was. He also left a detailed Vmail for my husband who out getting our car.
in Wilmington, DE |
He shows concern and lets you know that he (and the whole practice) is there to help you in whatever way he can. I especially liked that he does his homework before each visit and knows my patient history very well. My only negative comment is the practice has been slow to bring him into full swing. He isn't an option for sending a message on the patient portal and all you see is Dr. Fisher's accolades on the wall. They need to support this guy more!
in Earleville, MD |
Dr. Murray was very open and thoughtful. He was patient and answered all my questions thoroughly. He had incredible bedside manner. My surgery was exactly as he explained. He was respectful of my privacy and personal situation. I have a young baby and he worked with my schedule to get my surgery done. His physician assistant was very good and helpful as well. I would recommend Dr. Murray to anyone considering surgery, he was great!
in Wilmington, DE |
He was kind, caring, considerate, and very effective.
in Bear, DE |
Very personable and readily answers questions in an easy understandable manner. Surgery was performed with excellent care and he personally called me a few days after I was sent home to make sure I was doing well. Have complete confidence in his work. If you have to undergo back surgery, you should consider using this surgeon.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Murray, MD?
Are you Dr. Murray?