Psychiatry  |
Dr. Michael McGee, MD
Dr. McGee is Board Certified in General Adult Psychiatry, Addiction Psychiatry and Psychosomatic Medicine. Dr. McGee graduated from Stanford University in 1979 with a Bachelor's degree with distinction in Biology. He then graduated in 1985 from Stanford University School of Medicine and completed his residency training in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Dr. McGee conveniently treats patients living throughout Massachusetts, California, and New Hampshire via Online Telepsychiatry, using either a computer or a Smart Phone. Dr. McGee's research and clinical interests have included the integration of spirituality and meditation into psychiatric treatment to create a biopsychosocialspiritual approach to psychiatric care. Dr. McGee has extensive experience in addictions treatment, geriatric psychiatry, medical psychiaty (psychosomatic medicine) and general adult psychiatry. Dr. McGee has presented and published extensively on the topics of Spirituality, Addictions and Dementia.

WellMind

1411 Marsh St Ste 105

San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Learn about Dr. McGee

I take a pragmatic, eclectic apoproach that intertwines biological, psychological, social and spiritual aspects of healing and recovery. I prescribe medications only when necessary while taking care to optimize the chances of a positive outcome by looking at the whole picture of a person's life. I look to help patients maximixe their wellness by leveraging their strengths rather than solely focusing on vulnerabilities.

Dr. McGee's Experience

Dr. McGee's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Psychiatry
  • Board certified in Addiction Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Psychosomatic Medicine

• Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Addiction
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Amphetamine and Other Psychostimulant Dependence
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Dissociative, Conversion, and Factitious Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Gender Dysphoria
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Opioid Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opiate Dependence
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Panic Disorder
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Substance Abuse
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Tobacco Use Disorder

• Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
  • Other Psychiatric Medication Therapy (Inpatient Only)
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychotherapy and Psychophysiological Therapy (incl. Biofeedback)

No malpractice history found for California.

• Stanford University
  • The Cambridge Hosp
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Duke University Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2003

Dr. McGee has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McGee does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McGee and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McGee's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McGee to family and friends
Dr. McGee Says:

I appreciate your taking the time to give me feedback. Your feedback will help me to provide the best care possible for my patients and to grow in becoming a better physician.

Dr. McGee's Performance
Atascadero, CA |
I see lots of high reviews. My experience was very different. I took the time to carefully fill out all the on-line forms before my appointment, did not seem as though he had even taken a quick look through the forms before our appointment, asking me questions I already answered in depth . The first appointment he seemed caring, empathetic. Didn't make any recommendations until the second appointment, where his demeanor changed and he took on an authoritative, non-collaborative, demeanor.
I am so very sorry that you had a bad experience! I would be happy to refund you for your last session. Please feel free to call my office manager to arrange for a refund.
in MA |
Great Dr. Kind and helpful. Thank you Dr.
in Rockport, MA |
I have been a patient of Dr. McGee for many years. He is always there when I need anything, and is extremely supportive. He is firm with his treatment plan but can be empathetic and understanding when needed. I recently went through a rough time and Dr. McGee was and still is doing whatever I ask/need of him without hesitation, and for this I am beyond grateful! He is free of judgement, so I don't worry about being open and honest with him. I would absolutely recommend him to anyone!
Milford, NH |
Dr. McGee is the best of the best. He truly cares about the well being of his patients and truly wants to see his patients succeed. I wish there were more doctors like him in this world because it would be a huge help in the fight against this opiate epidemic. If you're looking for a doctor who takes a vested interest in his patients and feels more like a friend than a doctor, then Dr. McGee is who you are looking for. I would recommend him 10/10 times.
in Essex, M |
I started seeing Dr. McGee in early 2015. He has answered all my questions honestly, given me great advice and has also told me when I was making a mistake. All things that help make a great doctor. I will be 2 years sober in 1 week, and I would not have been able to do this without his help and guidance.
Lynnfield, MA |
Simply put for me, life changing. Dr. McGee walked with me through some very challenging times and helped me to learn about, understand, and accept myself like never before. His soul is kind, patient, and yet persistent in its pursuit to help others find peace in their lives.
in Beverly, MA |
Dr. McGee is a very very caring and compassionate person. I never feel judged, or that I am just another patient. He truly cares about how well I am doing. I am a former addict, and his treatment has kept me sober for over 3 years now. When I developed depression and anxiety (to the point I couldn't leave my house), he treated me and now I am doing better than ever. I would recommend Dr. McGee to anybody that truly wanted to do the right thing with their life.
Beverly, MA |
Dr McGee has helped me develop skills necessary to maintain sobriety as well as helping me grow into a responsible adult. Other doctors I have seen for the same issue have not been nearly as engaged or concerned with my well being. Dr McGee makes a strong effort to connect with his patients and guide them through life. Treating addicts is not an easy thing to do but he manages very well and I would recommend him to anyone who has a true desire to improve their way of living.
in Eureka, CA |
Dr. McGee is a caring and compassionate professional. His credentials are impeccable and his approach to addiction treatment, using current research and the importance of a supportive network, has been the key to my family member wanting to turn their life around. Five top residential treatment programs in five different states and numerous outpatient programs over seven years did not "click" with my family member. Only after he started working with Dr. McGee did things start making sense.
in Boston, Ma |
Dr. McGee literally saved my life! He immediately made me feel at ease and divised a recovery plan that is fruitful and still working to this day. I can't say enough good things about my experiences as his patient and will continue on the path of sobriety, honesty and courage that he has shown me. A+++
in Shell Beach, Ca. |
After working with Dr. McGee for only six months I have found great encouragement and support. He is very compassionate and a fabulous listener. He diagnosed me in one short hour and half first visit. This to me was a bit of a miracle after years of suffering and never having anyone get to the cause. I recommend him to anyone who is willing to spend the time that it will take to do the work.
in North Shore, MA. |
Dr. McGee has helped change my life. He is understanding,kind, professional . I feel blessed that he's my doctor.
in Tewksbury |
Dr. McGee treatment has been life-changing for me. Dr. McGee is very easygoing and easy to talk to.
in Lynn, ma |
I'm very grateful I met Dr. McGee. He has helped me so much.
Have you seen Dr. Michael McGee, MD?

Visit Dr. McGee