Dr. Michael M. Maruyama, MD

Dr. Michael M. Maruyama, MD

General Surgery | Male | 67 years old

Born and raised in the Central San Joaquin Valley, Michael Maruyama grew up on a small farm in Reedley, California. He left the Valley in 1967 to attend the University of Southern California on an academic scholarship, graduating in 1971. Dr. Maruyama received his MD in 1974 while at the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California, completing his surgical training at LA County USC Medical Center in 1980. After 13 years, he returned home to start a solo general surgical practice. As his practice grew, Dr. Maruyama's core values of integrity, compassion and commitment laid the foundation of a new venture in 1995. Along with other surgeons, he helped create and found Valley Surgical Specialists, a multi-specialty surgical group. His philosophy of care is quite simple. "As surgeons we are often faced with difficult clinical decisions. But when I extrapolate the patient as a close member of my family, these decisions become quite clear," Dr. Maruyama says. "In the practice of surgery, if you do only which you would do for your loved ones, there is no trouble in decision making. I learned a long time ago, be a physician first, a surgeon second." Dr. Michael M Maruyama MD is board certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery. Over these years, he served as the Chief of Surgery at Saint Agnes Medical Center, the Chief of Surgery at Clovis Community Medical Center, and the CEO of Valley Surgical Specialists. Specialties Dr. Maruyama continues to practice as a general surgeon with a special interest in hernia surgery and gallbladder surgery. His desire continues to empower people to take care of themselves. The joy of competition still drives Dr. Maruyama's passions. Family outings, educating patients on healthy living, cheering on the USC Trojans or the San Francisco Giants and debating politics continue to top his passions. Valley Surgical Specialistis Valley Surgical Specialists: Multi-specialty group with a community of surgeons with special interests that cohesively work together, providing optimum care for the patient. Michael M. Maruyama, MD, FACSRead more

Valley Surgical Specialists

Learn about this Doctor

"As surgeons we are often faced with difficult clinical decisions. But when I extrapolate the patient as a close member of my family, these decisions become quite clear," Dr. Maruyama says. "In the practice of surgery, if you do only which you would do for your loved ones, there is no trouble in decision making. I learned a long time ago, be a physician first, a surgeon second."Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Maruyama's Experience

97Experience
Match

See how Dr. Maruyama's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Maruyama

Dr. Maruyama accepts 12 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Maruyama has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Maruyama's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Maruyama to family and friends
3.3
Experience with Dr. Maruyama
Dr. Maruyama's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (20)
Dr. Michael M. Maruyama, MD says

Thank you for providing feedback. My staff and I appreciate and value your opinion. As we strive to improve our care, praise and/or constructive comments are vital to measure patient satisfaction, provide insight to create a better experience, offer data to make better, actionable decisions.

in Fresno, CA |
Very posive, and obviously knowledgeable. With the aid of a CT, Dr. Muruyama let me know exactly what and when would transpire. Overyall, the experience was great. Any/all questions were answered.I would not hesitate seeing Dr. Maruyama again.
in Tulare, CA |
I wish all doctors offices were this efficient, never waited more than a few minutes and the doctor and staff were professional, polite and friendly.
in Fresno, CA |
Dr. Maruyama is the best! I was concerned that I had it put surgery off too long and as a result the situation increased. Dr. Maruyama put my concerns and ease and was VERY thorough. The procedure went exactly as planned and I was very happy. He wanted to see me for a few post-surgical visits to make sure I was healing properly and there was no infection. I am so happy that surgery is behind me and that I had such a great surgeon! My only suggestion is to improve the after-hours call service.
in Madera, CA |
Dr. Maruyama performed hernia surgery on me and I can't believe how quickly I recovered. I was surprised and pleased that I had three follow up visits after surgery.
in Fresno, CA |
Very prompt with all appointments. He explained everything well. I have had no problems with my recent hernia surgery.
in Clovis, CA |
I was referred to Dr. Maruyama to have my gallbladder removed. Dr. Maruyama was very thorough in explaining everything about this procedure. He is excellent at what he does and I would recommend him to everyone. Staff was very friendly. I was in & out of the office within 30-40 minutes of arriving at all 3 appointments.
in Fresno, CA |
I had my gallbladder removed. I couldn't be more pleased with Dr. Maruyama. Virtually no waiting on the office visits, and surgery went very smoothly at a nice hospital facility in Clovis. He is an excellent surgeon.
in Sanger, CA |
I?ve never been operated on before so this was my first experience. I must say there was a lot of anxiety prior to my hernia procedure. However, the experience prior, during, and post operation was amazing. My pain level never exceeded a 4 (out of 10). In fact, aside for the first 24 hours, I didn?t need my pain medicine other than ibuprofen. I fully recovered after 2 weeks. Dr. Maruyama made me feel comfortable, confident and reassured that the procedure will go some. Would highly recommend him
in Mariposa, CA |
I have been going to Dr. Maruyama for over 30 years. I trust him completely. He orders appropriate tests before he recommends surgery. He will answer all your questions, if you ask. His bedside manner alleviates your fears. Yes, sometimes he does seem to be in a hurry, but I have found that if you ask questions, he will stay with you until you and he are comfortable with his answers. He is an excellent surgeon. I wish I could clone him as my Primary Care Physician.
in Fresno, CA |
He removed my gallbladder. Did a quick, good job with a short recovery period. He does a good job explaining the procedure and all the risks involved. The office staff there is very helpful. My only complaint would be the use of staples as opposed to dissoluble stitches on the incisions. He seems friendly, but definitely has the surgeons demeanor of being a little rushed, but don't they all?
Have you seen Dr. Michael M. Maruyama, MD?

Compare Dr. Maruyama

More General Surgery Specialists like Dr. Maruyama at Valley Surgical Specialists

• General Surgery

Why It Matters: Dr. Maruyama's Board Certifications

• General Surgery

Dr. Maruyama says..

Dr. Maruyama is a practicing general surgeon with special interests in the treatment of gallbladder and hernia issues. These include the surgical treatment of symptomatic gallstones, inguinal and ventral hernias.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Gallbladder and Biliary Tract Cancer
  • Hernia
  • Incisional Hernia
  • Inguinal Hernia
  • Umbilical Hernia
  • Ventral Hernia

Dr. Maruyama says..

Dr. Maruyama has been doing gallbladder surgery for 30 years and is well-versed in inguinal, ventral and incisional hernia repairs. His expertise includes open, laparoscopic, and robot approaches hernia repairs.

All alternative surgery, including risks and indications, are pre-discussed preoperatively and post operative care is maintained until a status of "return as needed" basis is reached.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Femoral Hernia Repair, Open
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Wound Repair

No malpractice history found for California.

University of Southern California School of Medicine

Graduated in 1975

La County Usc Med Ctr

Completed in 1976

La County Usc Med Ctr

Completed in 1980

University of Southern California

Graduated in 1971

Dr. Maruyama has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Maruyama does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Maruyama and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Maruyama's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in General Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Maruyama

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Maruyama's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Maruyama

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Maruyama says...

His philosophy of care is quite simple.

Valley Surgical Specialistis