Dr. Michael Magee, MD

Dr. Michael Magee, MD

Breast Oncology  ·
Dr. Michael Magee, MD is a breast oncology specialist in Memphis, TN and has been practicing for 35 years. He graduated from University Of Tennessee Health Science Center College Of Medicine in 1977 and specializes in breast oncology, oncology, and more.Read his story

80 Humphreys Center Dr Ste 330

Memphis, TN 38120

• American Republic
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)

Learn about Dr. Magee

See how frequently Dr. Magee performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Esophageal Cancer
Breast Cancer
Ovarian Cancer

Dr. Magee's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Magee's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Magee "Oncologists are both blessed and tasked. I am blessed with the opportunity to stand beside my patients in their adversity, both learning from them, and being God's presence to them. And I am tasked to see my patients with stereoscopic vision: One eye focused on an opportunity to bring all that medical science can bring to bear, the other eye focused on a vulnerable, suffering, fellow human being, worthy of all the compassion we can muster for our own mothers. For oncologists, what we do and say each day may be, for some of us, just part of our calling and vocation. But for me, I realize that for you and each individual I behold in my office or hospital, what I do or say is part of the most important day of your life. While pain may be the "5th vital sign," I have learned from you my patients that suffering is the 6th vital sign. And that the primary cause of suffering is not physical pain, but is solitude. So I walk with you on your path from victim to survivor You want an accurate diagnosis and maximum tumor cell kill, but you also want to preserve your individuality. So my team and I offer you "stereoscopic oncology," keeping one eye focused sharply on evidenced-based medicine, but the other eye sensitive to your upside-down, topsy-turvy world due to your recent diagnosis of cancer. I "take care of business" by listening and explaining. By careful listening, I take into consideration your family and faith perspective, and your desire for individualization of your cancer treatment plan. By explaining options thoroughly, I confidently navigate you toward an integrated plan that is yours, through a maze of choices including targeting driving mutations, CDK 4/6 inhibitors, check point inhibitors, and clinical trials. The obituary of one of my aquaintances a year ago, written by his daughter, said he would be remembered by the love his family had for him, his speaking career, and by his multiple medical specialty board certifications. My hope is instead I will be remembered for the love I have for my family, that I listen to my patients, and that I do my personal best for them. Mike Magee, MD ----------------------------------------------------- In 2014, 2015, and 2016, he was elected by Memphis physicians to be one of Castle-Connelly's "Top Doctors," reported in Memphis Magazine, one of only 5 medical oncologists in 2014, one of only 7 in 2015, and again in 2016. He is a current member in good standing of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, ASCO, ASH, ACP, and the Association of Clinical Research Professionals. Since 2013, he has been a Research Member of the Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center. Dr Magee married his medical school classmate and sweetheart Deborah Ruth Deason the month they graduated. They are proud of their two adult sons, who are also health care professionals, and with whom he likes to go to the beach. As children they loved baseball and he gladly coached their teams. As teenagers they were Eagle Scouts and he gladly was their assistant scoutmaster. He has one elementary age granddaughter, with whom he likes to do things outdoors, for whom he coached softball, and who calls him "Grumpy." He and his wife like to read, drink coffee, walk, ride bikes, and travel together. His favorite historical person is Jeanne d'Arc, his only two television shows besides the news are "Madame Secretary" and "Big Bang Theory," and his favorite movie is "Forrest Gump." He enjoys church activities, likes contemporary praise music, and has participated in 6 mission trips to Guatemala. He enjoyed his opportunity to be the primary oncologist for the only oncology clinic, in the middle of the largest Native American reservation in the southwest, for 2 years, 2010-2012. He is an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church USA, and preached every Sunday for four years while pastoring Brentwood First Presbyterian Church."

This content was provided by Dr. Magee "While pain may be the "5th vital sign," I learned from my patients that suffering is the 6th vital sign. And that the primary cause of suffering is not physical pain, but is solitude. So I walk with you on your path from victim to survivor

We do this by listening and explaining.

By careful listening, we take into consideration your family and faith perspective, and your desire for individualization of your cancer treatment plan.

By explaining options thoroughly, we confidently navigate you toward an integrated plan that is yours, through a maze of choices including targeting driving mutations, CDK 4/6 inhibitors, check point inhibitors, and clinical trials."

• Breast Oncology

• Cardiac MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) of Heart or Chest
  • Chemotherapy
  • Genetic Screening for Breast Cancer
  • Immunotherapy

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• Auburn University
  • MBA, U of South FLA
    Other Education | Completed 1999
  • MDiv, Vanderbilt
    Other Education | Completed 2005

• "People's Caring Award," an annual award to one physician from Albuquerque's People Living through Cancer organization, 2012
  • "Teaching Attending of the Year" award, given annually to the person elected by the residents in training at Baptist Hospital, 1987
  • "Servant's Heart Award,"grant given annually to the physician elected by the attending staff at Baptist Hospital in Nashville, 2009
  • Phase II trial of epirubicin in advanced carcinoma of head and neck origin, 1985
  • Hairy cell leukemia: durability of response to splenectomy in 26 patients and treatment of relapse in six with androgens., 1985
  • Induction, mobilization of peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC), high-dose chemotherapy and PBSC infusion in patients with untreated stage IV breast cancer: outcomes by intent to treat analyses., 1997
  • Malignant lymphomas of follicular center cell origin in man. VI. Large cleaved cell lymphoma., 1987

• Navajo

Dr. Magee does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Magee and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Magee's Reviews

4.5
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Magee to family and friends
19 total reviews (1 has a comment)

Dr. Magee's Performance

Dr. Magee Says:
"

I am truly, truly, humbled, both by flattering compliments, and by your constructive words. My team and I try really hard to be there for you every minute of every day, and really appreciate your kindness in giving us a second chance when we have an off moment or an off day. I love all my patients, so sometimes an off moment or day occurs because of the weight of grieving the loss of health of one of you.

Hopefully my light for

...

I love Dr Magee. I had to leave him after three treatments and as soon as I could I returned to him only to lose him again. Now I am searching for him again and I cannot find him. If he is practicing somewhere else, I will keep searching until I find him because he is the only doctor who has made...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0