Dr. Michael J. Magee, MD

Dr. Michael J. Magee, MD

Breast Oncology | Male

Boston Baskin Cancer Foundation, Memphis TN 80 Humphreys Center Dr Ste 330, Memphis, TN 38120 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

While pain may be the "5th vital sign," I learned from my patients that suffering is the 6th vital sign. And that the primary cause of suffering is not physical pain, but is solitude. So I walk with you on your path from victim to survivor You want an accurate diagnosis and maximum tumor cell kill, but you also want to preserve your individuality. So my team and I offer you "stereoscopic oncology," keeping one eye focused sharply on evidenced-based medicine, but the other eye sensitive to your upside-down, topsy-turvy world due to your recent diagnosis of cancer. We do this by listening and explaining. By careful listening, we take into consideration your family and faith perspective, and your desire for individualization of your cancer treatment plan. By explaining options thoroughly, we confidently navigate you toward an integrated plan that is yours, through a maze of choices including targeting driving mutations, CDK 4/6 inhibitors, check point inhibitors, and clinical trials.Read more

Personal Bio

Oncologists are both blessed and tasked. I am blessed with the opportunity to stand beside my patients in their adversity,...Read more

Dr. Magee's Experience

97Experience
Match

See how Dr. Magee's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Magee

Dr. Magee accepts 16 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Magee has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Magee's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Magee to family and friends
4.5
based on 18 total surveys
Experience with Dr. Magee
Dr. Magee's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (18)
Dr. Michael J. Magee, MD says

I am truly, truly, humbled, both by flattering compliments, and by your constructive words. My team and I try really hard to be there for you every minute of every day, and really appreciate your kindness in giving us a second chance when we have an off moment or an off day. I love all my patients, so sometimes an off moment or day occurs because of the weight of grieving the loss of health of one of you.

Hopefully my light for you is more often, if not always, bright than dim, for I believe our souls are nothing less than the kindness you and I share with others and each other, undimmed by anxiety, fear, dread, bitterness, rage, or grief. Love you, sister and brother! Love you!

Have you seen Dr. Michael J. Magee, MD?

Compare Dr. Magee

• Breast Oncology
  • Integrative Oncology
  • Oncology

Why It Matters: Dr. Magee's Board Certifications

• Hematology
  • Medical Oncology

Dr. Magee says..

2014 - present, Oncology Service Line Director, Baptist Memorial Hospital, Desoto, Mississippi, honored as best hospital in Mississippi by US News and World Report, 2014-16

2013 - present, Co-Medical Director, of Epic Beacon Oncology EMR implementation and update work group, Baptist Memorial Hospital, Memphis

2013 - present, Oncology Department Chair, Medical Executive Committee, Baptist Tipton, Covington, TN

2012 – present, private practice, Memphis, TN, Southaven, MS, and Covington, TN, Baptist Medical Group

2010-12, private practice, Albuquerque, including satellite office in Gallup, New Mexico, attending the only oncology clinic in the center of the largest Native American Reservation in the US, the Navajo

2006-2010, solo pastor Brentwood First Presbyterian Church, Brentwood, TN

1986-2010, private practice, Nashville, TN

1983-86, assistant director internal medicine residency, UT Baptist Hospital, Nashville

1991 president, Nashville Davidson County Unit, American Cancer Society

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Breast Cancer

• Breast Cancer Treatment
  • Chemotherapy
  • Genetic Screening for Breast Cancer
  • Immunotherapy

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

University Of Tennessee Health Science Center College Of Medicine

Mba, U Of South Fla

Completed in 1999

Mdiv, Vanderbilt

Completed in 2005

• "People's Caring Award," an annual award to one physician from Albuquerque's People Living through Cancer organization, 2012
    • "Teaching Attending of the Year" award, given annually to the person elected by the residents in training at Baptist Hospital, 1987
    • "Servant's Heart Award,"grant given annually to the physician elected by the attending staff at Baptist Hospital in Nashville, 2009
    • Phase II trial of epirubicin in advanced carcinoma of head and neck origin, 1985
    • Hairy cell leukemia: durability of response to splenectomy in 26 patients and treatment of relapse in six with androgens., 1985
    • Induction, mobilization of peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC), high-dose chemotherapy and PBSC infusion in patients with untreated stage IV breast cancer: outcomes by intent to treat analyses., 1997
    • Malignant lymphomas of follicular center cell origin in man. VI. Large cleaved cell lymphoma., 1987

• Navajo

Dr. Magee does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Magee and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Magee's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Breast Oncology
  • Board certified in Hematology, Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Magee

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Magee's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Magee

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Magee says...

Oncologists are both blessed and tasked.

I am blessed with the opportunity to stand beside my patients in their adversity, both learning from them, and being God's presence to them.

And I am tasked to see my patients with stereoscopic vision: One eye focused on an opportunity to bring all that medical science can bring to bear, the other eye focused on a vulnerable, suffering, fellow human being, worthy of all the compassion we can muster for our own mothers.

For oncologists, what we do and say each day may be, for some of us, just part of our calling and vocation. But for me, I realize that for you and each individual I behold in my office or hospital, what I do or say is part of the most important day of your life. While pain may be the "5th vital sign," I have learned from you my patients that suffering is the 6th vital sign. And that the primary cause of suffering is not physical pain, but is solitude. So I walk with you on your path from victim to survivor

I "take care of business" by listening and explaining.

By careful listening, I take into consideration your family and faith perspective, and your desire for individualization of your cancer treatment plan.

By explaining options thoroughly, I confidently navigate you toward an integrated plan that is yours, through a maze of choices including targeting driving mutations, CDK 4/6 inhibitors, check point inhibitors, and clinical trials.

The obituary of one of my aquaintances a year ago, written by his daughter, said he would be remembered by the love his family had for him, his speaking career, and by his multiple medical specialty board certifications. My hope is instead I will be remembered for the love I have for my family, that I listen to my patients, and that I do my personal best for them.

Mike Magee, MD

-----------------------------------------------------

In 2014, 2015, and 2016, he was elected by Memphis physicians to be one of Castle-Connelly's "Top Doctors," reported in Memphis Magazine, one of only 5 medical oncologists in 2014, one of only 7 in 2015, and again in 2016.

He is a current member in good standing of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, ASCO, ASH, ACP, and the Association of Clinical Research Professionals.

Since 2013, he has been a Research Member of the Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center.

Dr Magee married his medical school classmate and sweetheart Deborah Ruth Deason the month they graduated. They are proud of their two adult sons, who are also health care professionals, and with whom he likes to go to the beach. As children they loved baseball and he gladly coached their teams. As teenagers they were Eagle Scouts and he gladly was their assistant scoutmaster. He has one elementary age granddaughter, with whom he likes to do things outdoors, for whom he coached softball, and who calls him "Grumpy."

He and his wife like to read, drink coffee, walk, ride bikes, and travel together.

His favorite historical person is Jeanne d'Arc, his only two television shows besides the news are "Madame Secretary" and "Big Bang Theory," and his favorite movie is "Forrest Gump."

He enjoys church activities, likes contemporary praise music, and has participated in 6 mission trips to Guatemala. He enjoyed his opportunity to be the primary oncologist for the only oncology clinic, in the middle of the largest Native American reservation in the southwest, for 2 years, 2010-2012.

He is an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church USA, and preached every Sunday for four years while pastoring Brentwood First Presbyterian Church.

Dr. Magee's Care Philosophy

We do this by listening and explaining.

2006-2010, solo pastor Brentwood First Presbyterian Church, Brentwood, TN