Dr. Michael Jacobs, MD

Dr. Michael Jacobs, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Michael Jacobs, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Baltimore, MD. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Read his story

5601 Loch Raven Blvd Ste 405

Baltimore, MD 21239

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • CoreSource

Learn about Dr. Jacobs

See how frequently Dr. Jacobs performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Knee Disorders
Joint Pain
Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

Dr. Jacobs's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Jacobs' bio

This content was provided by Dr. Jacobs "I have been in the practice of orthopedics for 30 years. The only priority in my life has been to do whatever is in the best interest of my patients. That includes non-operative care, surgical procedures and post-operative care. All are equally important. For the entirety of my career I have been part of the faculty of the Johns Hopkins University Department of Orthopedics. That speaks directly to my commitment to excellence and my commitment to teaching. I have also lectured and performed surgery across the globe and specifically in Europe, Asia and South America. That experience has included working with the medical missionary group Operation Walk where we aided the disadvantaged in both Peru and Ecuador. I am fortunate in that I have had the benefit of a fantastic education at the college, medical school and fellowship levels. I am proud that I was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, the Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Medical School Society and American Orthopedic Association. I am also very proud of the fact that I am also the Team Orthopedist for the Baltimore Orioles baseball team. On a daily basis I strive to apply what I have learned over the past 30 years to improve the lives of my patients."

• Adult Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery

• Knee Surgery
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• Bowdoin College
  • Harvard Med Instn Brigham & Womens Hosp
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1984
  • Johns Hopkins Sch Med & Hosp
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1985

Dr. Jacobs has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Jacobs does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Jacobs and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Jacobs' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Jacobs to family and friends
Dr. Jacobs Says:

I consider patient Satisfaction Scores a very important part of improving the quality of my care. It is important incorporate changes that relate to the care and behavior of my office staff, the hospital staff, or my direct care and interactions with our patients. I appreciate the time that is spent by our patients to reflect upon their experience with us. I would like to personally thank you for your efforts.

Michael Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs' Performance
in Towson, MD |
Dr Jacobs performed my total hip replacement and the result are awesome. One year out and I feel better than I have for years. My mobility is back and I can resume all my favorite activities.
in Finksburg, MD |
If you are in need of a knee replacement, I would highly recommend Dr. Michael Jacobs and his MedStar Team. I had a total right knee replacement in 2016 and it went so well I had a total left knee replacement in October 2017. I feel like I have a new lease on life. What a change! From the very first appointment through surgery, hospital stay, physical therapy, and final post-op visit, I couldn't have imagined that everything would have gone so well. Dr. Jacobs and his Team are top-notch!
in Reisterstown, MD |
I would have NO hesitation in referring Dr. Jacobs to any of my family or friends. And in referring Dr. Jacobs, I am also putting in a plug for his Med Star team. From the first appointment to the post follow up visit, I received excellent service and care. Med Star Rehab is top notch as well!! Dr. Jacobs utilized the MAKO Robotic Arm surgical procedure and I am thrilled with the precision of the new knee alignment. If I have the other knee done, I will know who to call! Philip Lambooy
in Frederick |
I considered 5 other doctors before selecting Dr. Jacobs as my surgeon. I did so because he was the first to listen and agree with my rationale for doing a partial rather than full knee replacement. As a result of that decision, I was able to get back to work in just over 3 weeks, and was moving with little discomfort after 6 weeks. Now, at the 2 month mark, I can walk for miles and am working my way back towards being able to run again!
in Stevensville, MD |
I highly recommend Dr. Michael Jacobs if you are in need of a hip or knee replacement. I was very reticent about having my hip replaced although I was in much pain and could barely walk. Dr. Jacobs and his team were so professional and so caring that I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience. I am out of pain, walking well and happy with life again. My other hip needs to be done in the future, I have no hesitation because of the excellent care I received from Dr. Jacobs!!
in GLen. Arm, Md 21057 |
Dr. Jacobs has provided exceptional care for me on two occasions. I had two knee replacements and, he directed his team , providing me with terrific pre- op and Post- op care. I have often recommended his care to others.
Perry Hall, MD |
I met Dr. Jacobs in April 2017 after being diagnosed with "end stage' arthritis in both hips. I was seeking a second opinion. Not only did Dr Jacobs confirm the diagnosis, he gave me such a comfort level as to his expertise, and care, that I decided to have him perform the surgery on my right hip. It was very successful, so much so that after three months, I asked him to do the same replacement surgery on my left hip. I am now pain free, and am able to resume most of my activities. Thank you
in Taneytown, Md |
This is who you want to use for your hip replacement. Uses the most advanced procedure (anterior approach). Everyone there is helpful. PAs great and of course Dr. Jacobs is wonderful. He even has a great sense of humor. Off the walker after week one. After two weeks I no longer used the cane. After 5 weeks I had my full range of motion. Never used pain killers. Great job.
in Joppa, MD |
I could write a tome detailing how much of a God send this fabulous person is. Chapter 1 would be the wit of his personality, which compliments his expertise as a surgeon, his bed side manners, his person. Adding to that is Dr. Jacobs is a very humble man; greatly complimenting his expertise in the operating room. And, his medical staff love him, his ways, his humor, his professionalism. The two "negative" comments listed out of the 150+ posted --- who knows why.
in Bel Air, MD |
Dr. Jacobs is an excellent surgeon. I have been treated by him for many years. When one of my knees became infected he was quick to respond and scheduled me for surgery the next day on a Saturday morning. I am grateful to have him as my surgeon.
in Jensen Beach Florida |
Excellent experience from pre opp through physical therapy. Highly recommend Dr Jacolbs and the Maco procedure.
Annapolis, MD |
Complete satisfaction for left hip replacement. Dr. Jacobs takes the time to get to know you and his follow up is exceptional. This is a doctor you can trust
Street, MD |
I had a medical problem after a knee replacement surgery which was not the fault of my surgeon. Dr. Michael Jacobs performed surgery on that knee, found the problem, and took care of it, Now my knee is almost perfect, and I am a satisfied patient. I am so happy with what he did for me. Many other doctors would not have wanted to bother with it.
Maryland |
Worst ever - condescending, arrogant and wouldn't listen. Went in because multiple MRIs showed metatalosis. However, Dr Jacobs didn't even want to look at them, once he found out another Surgeon did the procedure, he didn't want to touch my case. Only good thing was the receptionist
in Forest Hill, MD |
I have been a patient of Dr. Jacobs for over twenty years. He has performed one knee replacement and then 11 years later due to a crack In the knee, he revisited the knee and replaced parts. I have never had a problem with the knee even when it was cracked, He is very knowledgeable and my surgeries went very smooth both times. He has a great bedside manner and a great expertise in his field. I highly recommend Dr. Jacobs for any type of orthopedic surgery.
in Baltimore, MD |
Dr. Jacobs replaced two hips for me, 3 years apart. It was a flawless, seamless, friendly experience and I am walking happily three and six years later even though I am 85.
in Dundalk, MD |
Outstanding doctor and surgeon! Highly recommend to all my friends. Always pleasant and friendly and takes the time to listen to your problems. I would give him ten stars!!
in Abingdon, MD |
I was a total wreck with the prospect of having knee replacement-But doc jacobs was so honest and informative about everything, it calmed me down quite a bit and it wasn't nearly as scary. In fact the surgery and after care was a snap. I had full mobility and flexibility in 3 weeks and was back to work in 2 months.
in Walkersville, MD |
Dr. Jacobs is professional in every aspect of his practice. He kept my wife and me informed of every step and we had absolutely no surprises in my surgery. I would recommend him unconditionally for any kind of orthopedic surgery
in Baltimore , MD |
Dr. Jacobs performed my total knee replacement. He was wonderful to work with from initial consult and diagnosis through the surgery and followup. The surgery was a complete success. I cannot recommend Dr. Jacobs too highly.
Owings Mills, MD |
Dr. Michael Jacobs, MD is very knowledgeable and answers any questions you may ask. Also, he will let you know why he would suggest the type of treatment for you. He is a very personable doctor and that means alot
Bel Air, MD |
I have been a patient for 25 plus years. He has done shoulder surgery arthroscopic knee surgery and total knee replacement surgery on me. He is down to earth and explains every thing about procedures and treatment in everyday language. He takes his time and asks if you have any questions or concerns. He is always around the hospital after any surgery he preforms on you checking on your progress. I will never go to another orthopedic surgeon, because I have complete confidence in Dr. Jacobs.
Westminster Md |
Believe the reviews. Dr. Jacobs and the staff are true professionals. Had my one year post total hip replacement appointment today and couldn't be happier. I can do almost anything without pain. Thanks for your help!!!
in Baltimore, MD |
I had a total anterior hip replacement by Dr. Michael Jacobs & his able assistant, Dr. Jim Laphroum on Mar. 20, 2017. I had waited too long, as Dr. Jacobs said, my left hip in very bad shape, all the cartilege was gone, I was in pain every step I took. Dr. Jacobs uses the latest, less invasive approach to hip surgery & now, May 15 less than 7 wks after surgery, I am pain free, walking with no walker, no cane & have no restrictions. I had no stitches, staples, only glue. Outstanding work A++
in Three Springs, PA |
Dr. Jacobs is the best. He is very professional in every way. He has replaced both of my hips and knees. I now walk without pain of any kind. Wait time in his office is very short, in fact some days I am finished before my actually appointment time. He allows me all the time I need to address my concerns and answers my questions fully. He is indeed a great surgeon and very caring. I recommend Dr. Jacobs very very highly.
in North East, MD |
I had 2 hip replacements from dr. Jacobs. The hips started going bad 10 years ago and the last 3 years were terrible. I couldn't walk. Just crawled along with my cane. Now I walk and am able to live again. I found dr. Jacobs on this site and I'm glad I did. Believe these ratings. You'll be a believer too! Med-Star Orthopedics and hospital staff also performed an outstanding service as well.
Nottingham, MD |
I am three years out of hip replacement (both sides over course of 9 months) and cannot be more pleased with my new hips. Dr. Jacobs has given me and my family the best gift ever - a full and active pain free life. Thank you thank you thank you Dr. Jacobs. Also I want to thank him and his staff for their pleasant and comforting demeanor.
in Glen Burnie, MD |
I just had my second knee replaced and it went extremely well. I was only in the hospital for 46 hours passed all my PT test! Back to work six weeks later. Great doctor!!
in Bel Air, MD |
I been to four different Doctors to have my knees replaced (BTKR) I knew in the first five minutes of meeting Dr. Michael Jacobs that he was the one. I was told what to expect in six week post op and what was required on my part, result i can bend my right knee 130 degrees and my left 126 now there is still allot of healing to take place and I am very pleased with the results so far. Tony Yoor
in EDGEWOOD |
He is great doctor talked though All concern
in Edgewood, MD |
Dr. Jacobs is an extremely talented surgeon and an all around nice guy. His bedside manner is excellent. At the hospital, he and the other doctors on that staff, provide a beautician to come to all the lady patients and do their hair post op. This is a great moral booster for us. My post op experience was flawless thanks to him and his staff. No one could ask for more of a surgeon. Everyone of his patients I have come in contact with, sing his praises and now I understand why.
in Essex, MD |
Awesome experience.. total hip 7 weeks ago.. healing well..
in Parkville, MD |
I would recommend Dr. Jacobs to anyone seeking a good orthopedic surgeon. Recently Dr. Jacobs preformed a total knee replacement, which brought me excellent results.
in Annapolis, MD |
Dr. Jacobs was my physician for a hip resurfacing 11 years ago. I have continued to maintain him as my physician post-surgery. One thing, among many things, that I appreciate about him is the time he will take to answer questions and educate his patients on what research has shown so as a patient you understand the "why" behind a particular decision.
in Essex MD |
Dr. Jacobs has replaced both my knees. I could not be more satisfied. I was completely calm in his manner and the way he ensured me that I would be well taken care of.
Pasadena, Maryland |
Dr. Jacobs recently performed a knee replacement for my 81 year old mother. He had come highly recommended to us by a neighbor who had a hip replacement. We had also read many positive reviews about Dr. Jacobs online. From our initial meeting with him, we were confident of Dr. Jacobs' knowledge and expertise and felt my mother would be in good hands. We're happy to say her surgery went very well. She is very fond of Dr. Jacobs and would highly recommend him.
in Baltimore, MD |
D dr. Jacobs is very good I really appreciate his work
in Hanover, PA |
Very thorough, receptive to patient input; responds to messages. Did a great job replacing my right hip, anterior procedure.
Owings Mills, MD |
I'm sure the Doctor knows his stuff relating to total replacement. However he will not do an arthroscopic surgery...he wants the total replacement.
in Manchester, MD |
Excellent care.
in Chestertown, MD |
He's the Orioles team physician, so he must be doing something right! Go O's!! Also, he does an excellent job with hip replacements. He's very funny and listens well to his patients.
in Baltimore, MD |
I had my knee replacement done October 4,2015,it has been over a year now,no problems,i did everything i was to do.I 2017 i will have my left knee replace,praying for the same results,Dr.Jacobs is a great surgeon, and very nice person,also his buddy Jim.Both are very professional.
in Baltimore, MD |
Dr. Jacobs was very efficient and did an excellent job on my knee replacement. I would and have recommended him to everyone I meet. I would recommend getting surgery done at Media Star because of the exceptional service I received before and after my surgery. And a special Thank You assistant Erica. Thank You Coach Lance Fuller
in Duncansville, PA |
My total hip replacement experience from beginning to end was amazing. Dr. Michael A. (Awesome) Jacobs, in my opinion, is top in his field. I was admitted to Good Samaritan hospital on 9-26-2016 for a anterior total right hip replacement and was discharge the next day. the entire team at Good Sam was incredible. I followed the physical therapy instructions provided by the team, at home, and was able to walk, unassisted after 11 days.
MD |
Dr. Jacobs has provided me with excellent surgical care on several occasions.
in Essex, MD |
Can't say enough about what a positive experience Dr. Jacobs and his team delivered.
Washington, DC |
I strongly encourage anyone who seeks the very best in skilled surgery and overall healthcare to call and schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael Jacobs. The man is a magician! And the staff at Good Sam Hosp. is a wonderful and competent compliment to his artistry. I am 60 years young. I had total hip replacement surgery with Dr. Jacobs. I was out of the hospital 2 days later and back to work - did you hear what I said - back to work 2 weeks after surgery. It doesn't get any better than that.
in Pasadena, MD |
I had made up my mind that my left hip needed to be done soon. Dr. Jacobs was referred to me by my primary care Doctor and after reading his reviews, I knew he was a candidate because he did anterior hip surgeries. I called to set up an appointment and was told he had an afternoon cancellation so off we went. The appointment was great. I was very pleasantly surprised about Dr. Jacobs office demeanor. Scheduled my surgery right then and there. The results were nothing short of outstanding.
in Red Lion, PA |
Have had both knees replaced, one in 2015 and the other in 2016. Excellent surgeon. Highly recommend if you have knee or hip issues.
in Jarrettsville, MD |
i had a total right hip replacement on 5/03/2016. there were no complications & recovery was very fast..in 4 weeks i was finished with all walkers & canes.also could go up & down steps the first day home from the hospital. the whole experence was great. both good Samaritan & Dr Jacobs team did a terrific job. i'm having my left hip replaced after Christmas by Dr.Jacobs .
Have you seen Dr. Michael Jacobs, MD?
Are you Dr. Jacobs?

Blue Choice Network POS
    Blue Preferred PPO
    CareFirst Maryland POS
  • CoreSource
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Health Net
    Tricare
    Tricare
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • MVP Health Care