Dr. Michael Gerling, MD

Dr. Michael Gerling, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Michael Gerling, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in New York, NY. He is 45 years old and has been practicing for 17 years. Read his story

110 Duane St

New York, NY 10007

• Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • MVP Health Care
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Gerling

See how frequently Dr. Gerling performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Herniated Disc
Intervertebral Disc Disease
Low Back Pain

Dr. Gerling's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Gerling's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Gerling "BOOK CHAPTERS "Scoliosis", in Complications of Spinal Instrumentation, Publisher, (2013 Publication Pending) "Surgical Approaches", in Spine Surgery Basics, 2013 "Dural Tears", in Spine Surgery Basics, 2013 "Treatment of Low Grade Spondylolisthesis", in LumboSacral and Pelvic Procedures, 2013 "Surgery for Neuromuscular Kyphosis", in Cervical Spine 5th Edition (Cervical Spine Research Society), 2011 SELECT RECENT RESEARCH PAPERS- Peer Reviewed (Refer to PubMed for full list) "Morbidity of Adult Spinal Deformity Surgery in Elderly Has Declined Over Time." Spine. Accepted November 29, 2016. "Trends in Non-operative Treatment Modalities Prior to Cervical Surgery and Impact on Patient-Derived Outcomes: Two Year Analysis of 1522 Patients from the Prospective Spine Treatment Outcome Study." International Journal of Spine Surgery. Accepted October 4, 2016. "Morbidity of Adult Spinal Deformity Surgery in Elderly Has Declined Over Time" JAGS- In Review "Two-year results of the prospective spine treatment outcomes study: An analysis of complication rates, predictors of their development, and effect on patient derived outcomes at 2 years for the surgical management of cervical spondylotic myelopathy". Spine 2015 "Risk Factors For Re-operation in Patients Treated Surgically for Intervertebral Disc Herniations. A subanalysis of the 8 year data from the SPORT trial". Journal of bone & joint surgery (American volume). 2015 "Risks Factors For Re-operation in Patients Treated Surgically for Degenerative Spondylolisthesis: A subanalysis of the 8 year data from the SPORT trial". Spine journal. 2014 "Risk Factors For Re-operation in Patients Treated Surgically For Lumbar Stenosis: A Subanalysis of the 8 year data from the SPORT trial". Spine journal. 2014 "Risk factors for reoperation in patients treated surgically for intervertebral disc herniations: A subanalysis of the eight-year data from the sport trial". Spine journal. 2014 "Effectiveness of postoperative wound drains in one- and two-level cervical spine fusions", International journal of spine surgery. 2014 "Mitigating adverse event reporting bias in spine surgery". JBJS.2013 "Facet Violation with the Placement of Percutaneous Pedicle Screws." Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011 Dec "Improved Survivorship after Cement Augmentation for Osteoporotic Compression Fractures". Spine, 2011. "Quality of information concerning cervical disc herniation on the Internet". Spine J, April 2010 "Effects Of Spinous Process Excision On Adjacent Level Motion: A Biomechanical Cadaveric Model". Manuscript in Revision "Dropped Head Deformity due to Cervical Myopathy: Surgical Treatment Outcomes and Complications Spanning Twenty Years". Spine, "LongTerm Follow Up After Partial Fasciectomy for Dupuytren's Contracture Using The Disability Of Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) and Patient Rated Wrist/Hand Evaluation (PRWHE) Questionnaires". Manuscript in review. "Posterior tibial tendon tears: comparison of the diagnostic efficacy of MRI and ultrasound for the detection of surgically created longitudinal tears in cadavers", Investig Radiology 2003 "Effect of surgical cricothyrotomy on the unstable cervical spine in a cadaver model of intubation". J Emerg Med. 2001 "Effects of cervical spine immobilization technique and laryngoscope blade selection on an unstable cervical spine in a cadaver model of intubation". Ann Emerg Med 2000 INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH PRESENTATIONS- 37 ACADEMIC SOCIETIES FOSA Program Chairperson (CSRS) - 2017-2020 ACSR Board Member / Executive Committee, 2015- AAOS - Spine Program Committee 2013-2015 CSRS Program Committee 2013-2016 LSRS Program Committee 2014-2016 Young Surgeons Forum, North American Spine Society Pre-Meeting Course, Co-Founder, 2008 - Current Brooklyn Orthopedic Society- Treasurer 2007-2008; Secretary 2008- 09; Vice-president 2009-10; President 2010-11 CSRS, Fellow Research Award, 2006 Finalist Herndon Society Fellow, 2006 North American Spine Society Travel Scholarship, 2003"

This content was provided by Dr. Gerling "The ultimate goal is restoration of function, quality of life and pain relief. When spine surgery is needed there are a variety of options using the newest technology to minimize your surgical risks and recovery time. Spine surgery is performed using the most current and reliable technology with minimally invasive techniques in most circumstances. Spine disorders from the neck to the lower back are managed with or without neurologic symptoms such as numbness, weakness or sciatica. Dr. Gerling is a fellowship trained, American Board Certified spine surgeon with advanced specialty training and extensive experience in complex cervical disorders, and minimally invasive techniques.  Small tubes and endoscopes are used to perform most surgeries for treatment of spinal trauma, degenerative disorders (aging of the spine), and spinal deformity.  For example, Endoscopic Diskectomies only require 7-8 mm incisions in most cases.

Refer to my website for more details. Search www.spinecarenyc"

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Broken Neck
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoporotic Spine Fractures

• Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Microdiscectomy With Fusion
  • Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Endoscopic Thoracic Spine Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Laminectomy
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Posterior Cervical Laminectomy
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Scoliosis Surgery
  • Spinal Decompression

No malpractice history found for New York.

• University Of California
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Henry Bohlman, Md-Casewestern Reserve University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2006

• National Institute of Health Research Grant, 1996
  • Numerous Publications in peer reviewed journals, text books and print media. National and International lectures and workshops for spine professionals.,

• French
  • Russian

Dr. Gerling does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Gerling and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Gerling's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Gerling to family and friends
3.9
Dr. Gerling's Performance
New York, NY |
At first I was scared to do the surgery. I did the cervical diskectomy fusion surgery 3 weeks ago and had throat pain for 4 days. I was eating on the third day. Sensation to touch is now normal on the left side compared to preop. Post op care was nice with doctor gerling and the nurses. I would recommend the surgery to anyone. Its not so scary as it sounds.
Staten Island, NY |
Dr Gerling and staff took away the stress and fear of having laser surgery. Prior to the surgery I was using a cane and my life was not looking very bright. Now, I'm walking, exercising and working again! It was the best decision I have ever made. Best of all, I now am living my dream
in Queens, NY |
He has great bedside manners. And explains things in a way that can be understood.
Brooklyn, NY |
In the beginning I was very afraid/scared to have a neck fusion surgery, until Dr. Gerling said I needed it. I finally went through with it and when I woke up from the operation i couldnt believe that I had no pain, and was able to swallow with very little soreness in my throat. I was up and about quickly and went home within 2 hours and felt like myself, able to everything I needed to do to take care of myself. The numbness was gone. I cant thank Dr. Gerling enough.
in Plainview, NY |
i was experiencing severe sciatic pain and numbness down my legs along with severe neck pain with numbness down my right arm. i had trouble sleeping at night and performing my daily activities for several years. i made an appointment to see Dr Gerling who recommended surgery. I followed his recommendation to have both cervical and lower lumbar surgery. I can't thank Dr. Gerling enough for his professionalism and dedication to my conditions. I now have my quality of life back.
in Brooklyn, NY |
Highly recommended. Dr Gerling addressed my concerns before surgery and really calmed my anxiety. It's been three months now and I've had so much improvement. I'm very grateful.
Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Gerling really helped me with my neck injury. He has a pleasant staff, good bedside manner and spent a lot of time discussing my options to make me feel comfortable with the plan. The surgery went extremely well and really helped me get back to my life. I am now off pain medication and extremely happy.
in New York, NY |
Before i scheduled my surgery with Dr. Gerling. I was not only in a lot of pain I was very scared. I cancelled several times before the pain was too much to bear. After the surgery I do not feel any more pain and I feel much, much better. I am very thankful to Dr. Gerling and he did an excellent job. I am very appreciative of his skill and his professional nature that made an otherwise frightening experience, a Godsend.
in staten island, ny |
He is good professional, i had a sergery on my neck, He did it, because it was necessary for me. I feel very good. Now, i think. he is the most best doctor.
Brooklyn, NY |
Four tier laminectomy fusion done in March still in agonizing pain. Would not recommend this pompous surgeon to my worst enemy due to the pain and his open privacy policy.
It is very upsetting to receive negative comments and responses can often seem defensive or insecure. That being said, my staff and I were really hurt by this review which undermines everything we do. We strive for excellent customer service and I have excellent outcomes from surgery. In this specific review, I could not find a record of any similar surgery in my practice for the past 5 years. For that reason I suspect that the patient is mistaking my practice for another surgeon.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Gerling, MD?

See our Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialists at NewYork-Presbyterian/Brooklyn Methodist Hospital

Visit Dr. Gerling