Dr. Michael Dohrenwend, MD

Dr. Michael Dohrenwend, MD

Gastroenterology | Male

Center For Digestive Health 7738 Madison Blvd Ste B Huntsville, AL 35806 Get Directions

Patients advocate.

A full range of Gastroenterology care  with the patients  best interests in mind.

Check out our website

Dr. Dohrenwend's Experience

See how Dr. Dohrenwend's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Dohrenwend

Dr. Dohrenwend accepts 8 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Dohrenwend has admitting privileges.

Dr. Dohrenwend's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dohrenwend to family and friends
3.4
Dr. Dohrenwend Says:

thanks for your feedback

Dr. Dohrenwend's Performance
in Madison, AL |
Professional, friendly and he makes sure all your questions are answered. He cares about how the colon prep performed both from a comfort and a cleansing perspective. He does a great job of explaining his findings in a manner that doesn't escalate unnecessary worry. His staff make you feel welcome and they save you time by asking for the information needed ahead of your visit. I would recommend Dr. Dohrenwend to all.
Huntsville, AL |
I was in his office and he was very rude I would never go back nor refer anyone to his office.
Unfortunately there are some patients that believe a GOOGLe search is equal to my medical degree//Board certification and 25 years of experience. I f this is the person I think it is . . . Unfortunately , Health-grades doesn't require a name or other identifying information -- Thus take annonymous' advice if prefer.
in Huntsville, AL |
In the time I've been a patient of Dr. Dohrenwend I have absolutely no complaints. I've had very short wait times and Dr. D and his staff are friendly and attentive to my needs.
in Huntsville, AL |
Very high. Dr D. and his staff returned me to my very active family and professional life. He explained my issue and how to treat it in the future. I am grateful to him and his staff for their professionalism and for guiding me back to health. The Doctor D Team is first class and I recommend them in the strongest possible terms.
in Huntsville, Al |
It's hard to believe that I could describe my endoscopy and colonoscopy procedure to be a best experience in medical procedure but I did. Dr. Dohrenwend and his team made it happen. It started with a thorough pre procedure screening interview and detail instruction at his office. On the day of procedure his team at the Madison surgery center was fabulous. While in the prep room, I had a team of 5 nurses attending to me in a cohesive manner and all are warm and reassuring.
Madison, AL |
My experience was wonderful. I loved the option to have the pepopik which does not taste bad at all. I went in at 9:30 am for my colonoscopy and was in and out very quick. Very professional and courteous staff! Highly recommend!
Madison, AL |
I am very pleased with the care I have received from Dr. D. He is friendly, most informed on the latest research, and communicates well with me on my issues. He has performed several procedures on me and I am happy with the outcomes and explanations afterwards.
in Owens Cross Roads, AL |
I highly recommend. Saved me a lot of pain..
Huntsville, AL |
I cannot recommend Dr. Dohrenwend for two reasons: 1) old school method to empty intestines is awful--4 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia 2 nights in a row was enough to burn the outside tissue of my rear end; that combined with the addition of Rx on the second night. Me and my husband had colonoscopies and we couldn't eat for almost two days before the procedures. Nothing like previous doctor!
other GI DRs may be willing to accept a sub-optimal colon prep. I dont for multiple medical and safety reasons. I think it is in the best interest of patients to have good to excellent visibility during colonoscopies .
in Huntsville, AL |
Very thorough with great attention to details. Listens well and encourages honest conversation. Would definitely recommend.
Toney, AL |
Dr. Dohrenwend is very keen on following proper protocol. I did have to remind him of some of the findings he had previously discussed with me and ask about followup scans, but overall, I think he is on top of things. I do wonder about the sense of urgency, however. Wait and see isn't something a suffering patient wants to hear or to do.
in Madison, AL |
Very punctual, professional and focused on the health issues at hand. Outstanding staff.
in Madison, AL |
I have been a patient for 10+ years. I have no complaints with the care I am receiving. He keeps me very well informed as to the procedures I receive and any abnormalities found, to include the treatment required to correct any issues. I would recommend him to anyone seeking a doctor for gastroenterology issues.
in Huntsville, Al |
I have been a patient of Dr. Dohrenwend for nearly 20 years. He has performed several necessary procedures and explained everything to me before and after they were finished. I have found him very thorough and caring. He has never rushed me out. The wait time was short, and the staff was courteous. I will definitely continuing coming. Nancy Hollingsworth, Huntsville, Al
in Madison, AL |
Dr. Dohrenwend is very comforting in his mannerism. He's also very easy to talk with when questions arise about procedures. Having a good sense of humor is a plus as well.
in Hazel Green, AL |
Great bedside manner, easy to talk to, explains anything I have questions about and takes the time necessary. I've been going to him for at least 9 yrs. Considering the procedures he's done I couldn't ask for better care. Highly recommend him.
in Grant, AL |
Dr. D doesn't write chart notes or remember who you are, but I let that go because he is a doctor and they don't really care who you are as long as you pay your copay and they get to bill your insurance. The part that I can't let go is the fact that I paid 200.00 cash for a copay at the front desk for a balance owed on my account, the receptionist stole the money and the office manger, Karen, told me they had to let her go for embezzling from another patient as well. However, I have to pay again
Unfortunately Ms CR gave cash to a dishonest former employee without any receipt. She then got a bill from my billing office and threatened to BLOWup the practice on social media if I refused to write off her balance. This assessment above is her transparent response. Dr D
in Madison, AL |
My experience with Dr. Dohrewend has been very good. He takes time to assess my health issues and answers my questions and concerns in a caring and professional manner.
in Madison, AL |
Dr. Dohrenwend listens very closely to my problems and spends the appropriate amount of time with me. I do not feel rushed. His staff is very polite and courteous. The diagnosis have been accurate and very helpful.
in Madison , Al |
The doctor was nice and took his time answering my questions. I did have to have a procedure done. A month later I went in for a follow up with the PA and she couldn't answer my question so she had the doctor come in. The doctor took a look at the biopsy report and said I have pre cancer cells and need to be checked every five years. I was mortified that they never called me and if I didn't ask a question, I would never have found out I might develop colon cancer in a few years.
in Madison, al |
This was absolutely the worst medical experience I've ever had. I went to see him for pain and nausea and they did nothing. I ended up having emergency surgery a week later. What kind of office doesn't accept credit cards in 2016? I've now paid my CASH copay twice and today I got another bill in the mail. I trusted them the first time so I didn't get a receipt but thank goodness I got one the second time. I had to drive all the way there to pay them cash. Do not waste your time or health
Madison, AL |
I have had this doctor for a number of years, but when called in for a check-up, I was told I had to pay cash or check. Note I've had several colonoscopy's with this doctor, and been a patient for 14 years. They were going to make me go find an ATM and get cash and bring back like some drug deal. Very insulting. I walked out. I've always liked him, but this was ridiculous in 2016 to not take debit or credit.
This practice has accepted cash or checks for co-pays since 2004. We now accept credit cards also as of july 7,2016. I do not bill co-pays as too many wont pay their co-pay when billed. All doctors offices I have been to require co-pays on day of service. I am uncertain why patients come to a Physicians office or restaurant without any means to pay co-pays or for their food.
in Huntsville, AL |
I like Dr. Dohrenwend. However, his waits times are horrendous. Normal is an hour. I've waited 2 1/2 hours. No excuses, I am sorry. But as a physician, I trust his medical experience and his advice.
in Huntsville, AL |
Definitely a patient's advocate. He has been my husband's GI doc for years and I've seen him a few times too. He takes the time with each patient to ensure that all is understood. That sometimes means a wait- but is worth waiting a bit for excellent care.
in Harvest |
I stopped to get a stool sample kit and it took the office and medical staff 25 minutes to get one and get it to me in the waiting room.
Mr V is not a patient of my practice
in Madison, AL |
takes the time to sort my problems out and has gotten it right !!
Have you seen Dr. Michael Dohrenwend, MD?

Compare Dr. Dohrenwend

}

Check out our website

Dr. Dohrenwend's Care Philosophy

Patients advocate.

Dr. Dohrenwend says...

GERD management- preop evaluation ,  swallowing disorders,

extra esophageal manifestations of GERD, non cardiac chest pain,

Barretts  management - RFA ablation, Endoscopic mucosal resections

Colon cancer screening,

acute and chronic Diarrhea evaluations, chronic constipation evaluations and management,

Abdominal pain//IBS evaluation and management

Hepatitis ABC//other evaluation management and cures !!

cirrhosis /ascites management

Dr. Dohrenwend says...

egd /dilation , pH studies , Esophageal motility, egd  with EMR/ Halo -RFA ablation.

colonoscopy with polyp removal--

liver  biopsy, Paracentesis

thanks for your feedback

Dr. Dohrenwend's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Gastroenterology
  •  Board certified in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine
  •  Malpractice claims in Alabama not available

Dr. Dohrenwend has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

Why It Matters: Dr. Dohrenwend's Board Certifications

• Esophagitis
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding

UAB Hosp

Completed in 1995

Indiana University / School of Medicine

Graduated in 1985

Dr. Dohrenwend does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dohrenwend and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Gastroenterology
  • Hepatology

• Abdominal Paracentesis
  • Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Gastroenterology Procedures