Dr. Michael DePalma, MD

Interventional Spine Medicine ·  Male · Age 46

Dr. DePalma

Virginia iSpine Physicians, PC- Michael J. DePalma, MD

9020 Stony Point Pkwy Ste 140 Richmond, VA 23235

Dr. Michael DePalma, MD is an interventional spine medicine specialist in Richmond, VA and has been practicing for 15 years. He graduated from Medical University Of South Carolina in 1999 and specializes in interventional spine medicine and physical medicine & rehabilitation.

Dr. DePalma accepts

Dr. DePalma accepts the following insurance:

Assurant Health
Coventry Health Care
Carelink PPO
Guardian
Medicaid
Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)
Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care) HMO

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check Dr. DePalma's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. DePalma's Top Procedures and Conditions

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. DePalma treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 100% of his peers

Dr. DePalma treats this condition more than 100% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis

• Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spondylosis
  • Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebroplasty

Less Pain. Better Function. Fewer Drugs. Dr. DePalma specializes in minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to help determine and treat the source of your back pain.

• Interventional Spine Medicine

3.5

Dr. DePalma?
Dr. DePalma's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Michael DePalma, MD
Dr DePalma is focused on me when I’m there. He totally communicates what he is doing, what’s coming next and he is always asking how I’m doing, etc. I am totally comfortable with his approach to my care.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
Absolutely amazing that I dealt with chronic and excruciating pain for 9 long months before finding Dr. DePalma. After one treatment, I was pain-free. It is a miracle and I am very grateful. Wonderful, caring and competent office staff to boot. Only wish I had come sooner!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I have already recommended to others
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
Dr.DePalma, you are the best my pain is under controll my life made a BIG turn around. I would recommending anyone. I am forever grateful for you and staff. Your Patient Linda Lynch
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I did not feel that the staff was helpful or supportive. Making appointments was always at least a week away. When you are in pain and no relief is offered, a week feels like a lifetime. He provides no prescription pain medication and if the process does not locate the site of the cause of pain, you may have to wait two weeks for another attempt. They tried to blame the wait on my insurance but even when I checked with the insurance and all was settled, there was a two week wait.
We strive to treat all patients as if they are...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
My first shot given to me was at the surgery center and it was not even a steroid shot. It was a shot of lidocaine that was explained afterwards as an exploratory shot to ensure the area was correct. $820 later, I was told that it was the patient's responsibility to know their insurance and how much it will cost. Money hungry shot doctor. If the shots work, great, but if not, you will be asked to continue to have up to 4 shots with followup visits in between with the fellow.
Our providers use an evidence based approach with...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I would without a doubt , recommend Dr. DePalma to anyone that needed back or spine pain. I have been going to this doctor for years. He has greatly helped me. I also took my mom to him and he did a great job on her. I dont take my mom to just any doctor. He is a very special doctor.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
If his only problem was he has no personality I would give him 5 stars. I was a number to Dr. DePalma and only a number.. When you are in severe pain you need someone who is there for you. This doctor is NOT. He gives you shots etc but if they don't work that's it for you. I saw him once I his office and then at the hospital. When I called in extreme pain his fellow took over. The fellow was leaving and he was interested in leaving.. I think DePalma is into research and that's about it.
It is unfortunate you feel this way. Finding...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I came to Dr. DePalma having to use a cane to walk due to my lower back and severe leg pain. He correctly diagnosed what the problem was and recommended what had to be done. I am now about 90% recovered, not needing a cane to walk and I look forward to getting to the remaining 10%. Dr. DePalma and his supporting fellows are excellent physicians. Doctor DePalma is very direct and tells it like it is. His staff is excellent, very professional and caring. I definitely recommend I-Spine!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
Very professional staff. Open to listening and putting the patient first.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
Epidural injections from Dr. DePalma render me virtually pain-free for three months at a time. During that time I can perform normally and hold down a part-time job at 75 years old. Many thanks Doctor, I couldn't do it without you.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I was very pleased with the attitude of the staff and greatly appreciated their willingness to accommodate my specific needs. My first two visits found me unable to sit or stand and they took steps necessary for me to lie down until the doctor could see me. I felt rushed when speaking with both Dr. DePalma and Dr. Essaff. I know they are busy, but wish they had taken time to answer my specific questions in more detail. However, treatment was excellent and the results are very promising
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
My mother-in-law saw Dr. DePalma for back pain and actually only saw him once as he hands off his patients to his DO., Dr. Esseff in this case.after your first appointment. It is like a bait and switch as you see him the first time and then never hear from him again. He doesn't even have an x-ray machine in his office. Dr. Esseff when told her they don't manage pain when a sign behind him on the wall said they help with pain. They finally referred her to a surgeon and said they couldn't help.
It is unfortunate you feel this way. Finding...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I have been seeing Dr DePalma for about 6 months now for back and hip injections. He has helped me considerably with the pain I had and is very thorough in order to find the exact place to make these injections that will help you the best with your pain. It definitely reassure you. Dr DePalma and Dr Essar have for sure helped me a great deal so far !
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I would recommend Dr. DePalma to family and friends because he is an outstanding Physician, very smart, very caring and compassionate to his patients. On top of that, his work ethics, work structure, work processes and outcomes are outstanding in the Richmond Virginia area and possibly nationwide. His assistants, nurses and other co-workers in his office are very courteous and efficient workers.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
Epidural injections worked but there was a long, convoluted process/protocol required to get to that point.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
After 13 years of 24 hour back/hip pain diagnosed and treated always as SI joint problems, Dr. DePalma felt strongly it was disc related. I was unsure of his diagnosis and treatment plan. He was totally right!After shots located in 3 different areas of my spine I am 95% pain free. For the first time in 13 years on vacation I could walk on a beach and join in pool games. I clean houses for a living so I am hoping this lasts as prior to treatment I was sure I would have to give up work.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
Felt that he was competent and capable of treating my condition. So far all treatments have diminished my level of pain.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
I have already recommended him to several friends.After the completion of his treatment plan,which included 2 epidurals and Pt,the pain I had been having went away!He was always on time for my appointments,very efficient.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?
Dr. DePalma, other doctors, and office staff are knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful in every way. I am very pleased and satisfied that my back problems were handled with the highest degree of medical proficiency and with a caring attitude. I am especially pleased with Dr. Essaff and his knowledge of the problems I was having with my back. During every visit, he was thorough and caring which made me confident that every problem was handled professionally. Thank you very much. Tom Tilley
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. DePalma?

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. DePalma treats patients.