Interventional Spine Medicine  |
Dr. Michael DePalma, MD
Dr. Michael DePalma, MD is an interventional spine medicine doctor who practices in Richmond, VA. He is 44 years old and has been practicing for 18 years. Dr. DePalma is affiliated with Bon Secours - Richmond Community Hospital, Bon Secours - St. Mary's Hospital, Bon Secours - Memorial Regional Medical Center, Bon Secours - St. Francis Medical Center, Henrico Doctors' Hospital and CJW Medical Center - Chippenham.

Virginia iSpine Physicians, PC

9020 Stony Point Pkwy Ste 140

Richmond, VA 23235

• Guardian
  • Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)

Learn about Dr. DePalma

Less Pain. Better Function. Fewer Drugs. Dr. DePalma specializes in minimally invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to help determine and treat the source of your back pain.

Dr. DePalma's Experience

Dr. DePalma's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Interventional Spine Medicine

• Sacroiliac Joint Injection
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
  • Vertebroplasty

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• University Of Pittsburgh / Main Campus
  • Perelman School Of Medicine University Of Pennsylvania
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2004

• www.vaispine.com, 2011
  • Richmond TOP DOCS, 2008, 2011

Dr. DePalma does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. DePalma and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. DePalma's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. DePalma to family and friends
3.5
Dr. DePalma's Performance
in Glen Allen, VA |
I came to Dr. DePalma having to use a cane to walk due to my lower back and severe leg pain. He correctly diagnosed what the problem was and recommended what had to be done. I am now about 90% recovered, not needing a cane to walk and I look forward to getting to the remaining 10%. Dr. DePalma and his supporting fellows are excellent physicians. Doctor DePalma is very direct and tells it like it is. His staff is excellent, very professional and caring. I definitely recommend I-Spine!
Richmond, VA |
Very professional staff. Open to listening and putting the patient first.
in Richmond, VA |
Epidural injections from Dr. DePalma render me virtually pain-free for three months at a time. During that time I can perform normally and hold down a part-time job at 75 years old. Many thanks Doctor, I couldn't do it without you.
in Richmond, VA |
I was very pleased with the attitude of the staff and greatly appreciated their willingness to accommodate my specific needs. My first two visits found me unable to sit or stand and they took steps necessary for me to lie down until the doctor could see me. I felt rushed when speaking with both Dr. DePalma and Dr. Essaff. I know they are busy, but wish they had taken time to answer my specific questions in more detail. However, treatment was excellent and the results are very promising
Richmond, VA |
My mother-in-law saw Dr. DePalma for back pain and actually only saw him once as he hands off his patients to his DO., Dr. Esseff in this case.after your first appointment. It is like a bait and switch as you see him the first time and then never hear from him again. He doesn't even have an x-ray machine in his office. Dr. Esseff when told her they don't manage pain when a sign behind him on the wall said they help with pain. They finally referred her to a surgeon and said they couldn't help.
Midlothian, VA |
I have been seeing Dr DePalma for about 6 months now for back and hip injections. He has helped me considerably with the pain I had and is very thorough in order to find the exact place to make these injections that will help you the best with your pain. It definitely reassure you. Dr DePalma and Dr Essar have for sure helped me a great deal so far !
in Petersburg, VA |
I would recommend Dr. DePalma to family and friends because he is an outstanding Physician, very smart, very caring and compassionate to his patients. On top of that, his work ethics, work structure, work processes and outcomes are outstanding in the Richmond Virginia area and possibly nationwide. His assistants, nurses and other co-workers in his office are very courteous and efficient workers.
in Midlothian, VA |
Epidural injections worked but there was a long, convoluted process/protocol required to get to that point.
in Glen Allen, VA |
After 13 years of 24 hour back/hip pain diagnosed and treated always as SI joint problems, Dr. DePalma felt strongly it was disc related. I was unsure of his diagnosis and treatment plan. He was totally right!After shots located in 3 different areas of my spine I am 95% pain free. For the first time in 13 years on vacation I could walk on a beach and join in pool games. I clean houses for a living so I am hoping this lasts as prior to treatment I was sure I would have to give up work.
in Richmond, VA |
Felt that he was competent and capable of treating my condition. So far all treatments have diminished my level of pain.
in Richmond,Va. |
I have already recommended him to several friends.After the completion of his treatment plan,which included 2 epidurals and Pt,the pain I had been having went away!He was always on time for my appointments,very efficient.
in Richmond, VA |
Dr. DePalma, other doctors, and office staff are knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful in every way. I am very pleased and satisfied that my back problems were handled with the highest degree of medical proficiency and with a caring attitude. I am especially pleased with Dr. Essaff and his knowledge of the problems I was having with my back. During every visit, he was thorough and caring which made me confident that every problem was handled professionally. Thank you very much. Tom Tilley
in Midlothian, VA |
I was referred to Dr DePalma by my family physician after having the usual Prednisone and physical therapy for lower back pain. Dr DePalma diagnosed the problem as severe spinal stenosis and deteriorated disks. He offered spinal nerve block injection as a possibly alternative to surgery. I got wonderful temporary relief but now am scheduled to have back surgery. I highly recommend seeing Dr DePalma to see what non-invasive treatments he can do that may postpone the need for major surgery.
in Chesterfield, VA |
He was very thoughtful and listened to my "complaints". He had prepared for my visit by reviewing my previous records. He worked with me to put together a plan for my lower back and knee issues. He did not rush me and gave me a thorough exam.
Midlothian, VA |
Was told to undress in the waiting room, Dr. DePalma's associate came in after many minutes to ask me questions and look look me over. He left the room, I waited about 20 minutes I wasnt sure what I should do, all I know I was in a lot of pain, I put my clothes on slowly, Dr Depalma comes in and very nastily says, "did I tell you to put your clothes on"? He left, I took them off, my back was in so much pain. He comes in asking me the same questions as his associate. Found him to be rude.
I apologize that your experience felt less than excellent for you. We work very hard to ensure you are seen on time, but as in any physician practice, this can be a challenge depending on the needs of all of our patients on that particular day. Dr. DePalma cares very much for every patient and their outcomes and takes his professional responsibilities very seriously. It is my hope that you will allow us another opportunity to meet your expectations. Janine E. Cole, Practice Manager
in Midlothian, VA |
Spent over two months time dealing with Dr. DePalma, in that time 3 test were performed at their convenience. During that time his associate, not him saw me at my appointments. I felt as if I were just a test dummy for training purposes and Dr. DePalma or his associate good give a care about my condition. After two and half months I still have yet to receive treatment from a very serious condition. I am going back to my orthopedic physician for an opinion. Very cold and uncaring physician.
I apologize that you felt your experience with Dr. DePalma and our team was anything less than excellent. Dr. DePalma works very hard to ensure he is providing the highest level of care to help relieve you of your pain. While every person's painful spine conditions differ so too does the treatment plan and it can take a bit of time to figure out what will work best for your particular situation. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to help you. - Janine E. Cole, Practice Manager
in Richmond, VA |
Earlier this year I had the facet joint radiofrequency ablation neurotomy procedure and it is still working! Tell him I am sleeping better than I have in years and thank him.
in Midlothian, VA |
My primary care physician recommended Dr. DePalma to me after having had severe back pain for about 9 months. I had had a MRI and a x-ray prior to making my appointment. I also tried chiropractic care, physical therapy, medication, and exercises prior to seeing Dr. DePalma. I found him and his staff to be caring individuals that wanted to see me improve. It took four injections, but the results have been amazing. I can now function as I did a year ago. I feel like I have my life back!
in Glen Allen, Va |
My experience with Dr. DePalma has been life changing. For five years I dealt with lower back pain due to an accident. I saw over five doctors for my pain. I was sent finally to MCV VCU Sports Medicine and then to Stony Point where I met Dr. DePalma. Since then, I have not seen any other doctors. Dr. DePalma is the best spine surgeon out here. I have recommended him to family and friends, any their response was just like mine. Dr. DePalma is a GOD SEND.
in Richmond, VA |
It has been a good experience. My pain has went from intolerable the first 6-mos to manageable as long as I do not irritate the area.
in Richmond, VA |
I would highly recommend NOT using Dr. DePalma for any care. Had horrible experiences with scheduling appointments, having to wait over an hour for the doctor to see me in a very uncomfortable treatment room, had to abort a spinal injection because they hit an artery. Do not go to this practice,.......
Have you seen Dr. Michael DePalma, MD?

Visit Dr. DePalma

Dr. DePalma accepts 12 insurance carriers
    Carelink PPO
  • Guardian
  • Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)
    Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care) HMO