Addiction Psychiatry  |
Dr. Michael Dekker, DO
Dr. Michael Dekker grew up on the South Side of Chicago and attended the University of Arizona for pre-physiological sciences. He went on to attend medical school at Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Dr. Dekker trained in General Psychiatry at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center Psychiatric Residency Program, where he developed a strong interest in treating Addictions and subsequently completed a fellowship in Addiction Psychiatry at Boston University Medical Center. Dr. Dekker is currently board certified in Addiction Psychiatry and General Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology. He has been a member of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry since 2013 and the American Psychiatric Association since 2009. Dr. Dekker participated extensively in academic and teaching seminars on Addictions during his training in Phoenix and Boston including giving lectures on topics in Addictions such as the Neurobiology of Addictions, Opioid Use Disorders, PTSD, Designer Drugs, and Cannabis and Synthetic Cannabis. He frequently provides lectures for American Society of Addiction Medicine, the American Osteopathic Academy of Addiction Medicine, and the Academy of Addiction Psychiatry. Dr. Dekker has a strong passion for treating Opioid Use Disorder and Alcohol Use Disorder with the latest evidence-based tools and methods. Dr. Dekker has extensive experience using medication-assisted treatment to treat Addictions including over 4 years of experience using buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone, etc.) to treat patients with Opioid Use Disorder.

16620 N 40th St Ste I5

Phoenix, AZ 85032

• Banner Health
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. Dekker

The 2nd Chance Philosophy is that Alcohol and Opioid Use Disorders are medical conditions that need to be treated with a comprehensive and ongoing treatment plan to ensure lifelong recovery.

Our providers have a strong passion for treating Opioid Use Disorder and Alcohol Use Disorder with the latest evidence-based tools and methods. They have extensive experience using medication-assisted treatment to treat Addictions including a combined 10 years of experience using buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone, etc.) to treat patients with Opioid Use Disorder.

Dr. Dekker's Experience

Dr. Dekker's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Addiction Psychiatry
  • Board certified in Addiction Psychiatry and Psychiatry

• Addiction Psychiatry

• Addiction Psychiatry
    Accredited by: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology*
  • Psychiatry
    Accredited by: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology*

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence

• Outpatient Psychiatry
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychopharmacologic Treatment

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Nova Se Univ Coll Of Osteo Med
    Medical School | Graduated 2009
  • Banner Good Samaritan Psychiatric Residency Program
  • Boston University Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Dekker has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Dekker does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dekker and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Dekker's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dekker to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Dekker's Performance
in Chandler, AZ |
I recently moved to Arizona to start a new life. I had already started the journey of sobriety so one of the first things I had to to do when I got here was find a new doctor. Luckily I was able to get in to see Dr. Dekker and I am very glad that I found him. I do travel from Chandler to Phoenix but it's worth it. He actually takes time to figure out what is going on and what to do about it. He is very caring and flexible with scheduling which I appreciate!! I definitely recommend him!
in phoenix , AZ |
If there were more doctors like Dr Dekker I would not mind so much having to see a doctor, this man is absolutely down to earth and genuine and truly wants to help whatever your situation might be. In 48 years I've never had a doctor call and check on me just to make sure I was ok when I didn't make it on time for an appointment, his commitment to his patients is nothing less than amazing to me and I would highly recommend him.
in Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Dekker is fantastic. He has been extremely understanding, agreeable, and helpful to me. Just an all-around great guy and great doctor. I've heard people complain that the wait time can be a little long sometimes, but its because he takes time to talk to you and see how you're doing. Plus, the wait is worth the service in my opinion and I have no problem with it
in Phoenix, AZ |
I am a 100% disabled veteran suffering from multiple TBIs , Severe PTSD and anxiety. I am also the victim of physical/emotional abuse and domestic violence during my 5 year marriage to a Marine.Most psychiatrists I have seen have been eager to simply write me scripts and send me on my way. He is incredibly caring and one of the few doctors that take time to ensure you understand every aspect of your diagnoses and spends time ensuring that each diagnosis you had previously is accurate!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Dekker treats myself and my wife and has treated us with care, respect, and thoughtfulness. We have both struggled with doctors for a long time and finally found Dr. Dekker who listened to all of our concerns and was the only doctor that actually found something that worked for us! He goes out of his way to make you feel welcome and taken care of and explains treatments and medications. He even let my wife bring her emotional support animal into appointments with her. Definitely recommend!
Have you seen Dr. Michael Dekker, DO?
Are you Dr. Dekker?