Dr. Michael Dattoli, MD

Dr. Michael Dattoli, MD

Radiation Oncology | Male

As a Uro-Oncologist/Radiation Oncologist, my over-riding concern is to cure patients having prostate cancer (and select other sites) while minimizing side effects. I pioneered brachytherapy for the prostate and have published 7 medical textbooks on this modality, 12 medical booklets and over 100 medical journal articles on this topic. I developed the most sophisticated form of external radiation called "DART". With DART, a "microbeam" strikes an individual target called a "voxel" (a cubic millimeter) while it is moving. Using a proprietary software program, the target region and surrounding normal anatomy becomes "voxelized". Normal tissues are "off limits" unless the tumor directly invades that structure. I commonly use nanoparticle diagnostic technologies to precisely target tumors with DART (especially patients who have advanced nodal/bone disease). I have published the highest cure rates for intermediate to high-risk prostate cancer while boasting the lowest side effects worldwide.

I consider myself a Uro-Oncologist/Radiation Oncologist with well over two decades of brachytherapy experience and have performed tens of thousands of prostate implant procedures. Over this time period, I have been instrumental in pioneering prostate brachytherapy and optimizing brachytherapy designs to maximize tumor eradication and minimize symptoms. I have authored 7 medical textbooks, 11 consumer textbooks and have published countless medical journal articles on this topic. I have published the longest and highest published cure rates in all of the medical literature treating prostate cancer with the least side effects. I am proud of what I have been able to accomplish. I have applied the same technology to other forms of cancer, especially bladder, colorectal, gyn, breast and lung. I was appointed Associate Professor in Brachytherapy and Radiation Oncology at Memorial Sloan- Kettering Cancer Center in New York and at New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical Center prior to relocating to Florida. While in Florida, we are known for developing an extremely precise form of external beam radiation called DART. I serve on multiple medical journal editorial review boards. Government appointments include "The Prostate Cancer Task Force" of Florida and I am consultant to the "Washington Oncology Roundtable Advisory Committee". I have been selected by the "International Association of Oncologists" as a "Leading Physician of the World and top Brachytherapist".

Other Awards include:

• Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, NYC
  • Special Honors: Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Neurology and Radiology, 1983-1984
  • Departmental Honors: Biology, 1980
  • General Honors for Academic Excellence, 1980
  • Highest Grade Point Average, (Valedictorian) Vassar, Class of 1980
  • Dean's List Honors, 1976-1980
  • Alpha Kappa Psi, Man of the Year; 2008
  • Castle Connolly Top Doctors, 2015-present

Dr. Dattoli's Experience

See how Dr. Dattoli's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Dattoli

Dr. Dattoli accepts 30 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Dattoli has admitting privileges.

Dr. Dattoli's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dattoli to family and friends
Dr. Dattoli's Performance
Sarasota, FL |
A very compassionate and caring doctor, like no other.
albany, ny |
Unparalleled level of expertise. His credentials are beyond impressive. He literally wrote the book on Dart and Brachy therapy. Very impressed with his compassion in light of his pedigree. His office had the most advanced technology bar none. He saved my husbands life without side effects. Thanks Dr. Dattoli !
Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Dattoli and his entire staff are exceptional when it comes to patient experience! I felt right at home, well informed, and truly heard throughout every step of my prostate cancer treatment and cure. Sure, there may be a lot of steps and time to dedicate, but these people are here day in and day out helping 30+ other people in the exact same situation. Dr. Dattoli is an amazing man that is dedicated to his work. I cannot thank him enough!
New Rochelle, NY |
Dr Dattoli has taken high tech to a new level and this is a function of his high level of intelligence as he himself, along with some brilliant physicists developed many of today's cutting edge technologies. He is unparallelled in his approach to treating prostate ca. You cannot find this level of technologies AND experience anywhere else including the largest Universities. I traveled over 2000 mi and I'm forever grateful being rid of a bad cancer while enjoying completely normal body function.
in Portland, OR |
Dr. Dattoli was thorough and pleasant. I subsequently had an awful experience with the billing office. They charged me $610 for the use of the room for an office visit. This was in addition to the few hundred I paid the physician. My insurance would not cover it and Moffitt is going after me for the entire amount with not even a consideration of a discount for self-pay. This is a despicable way to treat a cancer patient!
in Vienna, Austra |
Living in Europe and having prostate cancer is not a good especially when you're in your early 50's. After exhaustive research I found Dr Michael Dattoli to be brilliant, compassionate and his Cancer Center to be light years ahead of other World Class Centers.Just returned from Sarasota and given my 5 year clean bill of health which is a far cry what others at other Centers world-wide had expected as I had a aggressive cancer. No bowel/bladdersymptoms or sexual dysfunction. Bravo Dattoli!
in Hilton Head Island, SC |
Extreme attention to detail, technologically advanced, friendly and highly experienced staff. The best in the prostate Cancer treatment arena. A leader in the industry. Treats prostate cancer patients others don't know how to treat. Wish I had found him earlier.
in Bradenton, FL |
I really liked Dr. Dattoli because i could tell the is extreamly passionate about what he does. He treated my husband and I with great respect.
in Orlando, FL |
Dr. Dattoli and his staff are caring, compassionate and friendly. From the front desk to the nursing staff and therapist, they make you feel at home even when you are miles away from home. Talking to other patients in the waiting room who are going through the same situation you are helped ease the nervousness I had.
in Salt Lake City, UT |
My case was challenging. I'm from Utah and it was heartening to meet so many others from around the globe who weren't given a chance, only to be telling their stories 10-20 yrs later. Dr Dattoli is a genius. When I met with him, he spent 120 minutes listening intensely and never even checked his watch! That's rare esp from a famous doctor. His technology is unrivaled, the facility beautiful and inviting. His staff is remarkably smart and so pleasant. Sarasota is a gem and for healing.
in Poughkeepsie, NY |
Best doctor experience ever. His bed side manner and professionalism and knowledge of my husbands condition was out standing
The treatment of the patient by the covering nurse was terrible during the process the whole time .. And we weren't permitted to talk to the Dr as soon as the treatment started. Also, we were never informed that during the time of two and a half months getting radiation treatment that one should not lay close in bed with animals or people. My two cats died shortly after of cancer and who knows what else.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Dattoli, MD?
Are you Dr. Dattoli?

• Alpha Kappa Psi, Man of the Year; 2008
  • Castle Connolly Top Doctors, 2015-present

Dr. Dattoli's Care Philosophy

Dr. Dattoli says...

I consider myself a Uro-Oncologist with well over two decades of brachytherapy experience and have performed tens of thousands of prostate implant procedures. Over this time period, I have been instrumental in pioneering prostate brachytherapy and optimizing brachytherapy designs to maximize tumor eradication and minimize symptoms. I have authored 7 medical textbooks, 12 consumer textbooks and have published countless medical journal articles on this topic. I have published the best results treating prostate cancer with the least side effects. I have applied the same technology to other forms of cancer, especially bladder, colorectal, gyn, breast and lung. I was appointed Associate Professor in Brachytherapy and Radiation Oncology at Memorial Sloan- Kettering Cancer Center in New York and at New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical Center prior to relocating to Florida. While in Florida, we are known for developing an extremely precise form of external beam radiation called DART.

Dr. Dattoli says...

At the Dattoli Cancer Center & Brachytherapy Research Institute, our "uniqueness" refers to the combination of leading edge technologies that are housed under one roof at the Center and the high level of success attained from our treatment methods. This includes, but is not limited to the true development of Dynamic Adaptive Radiation Therapy (DART radiation) and physician expertise in the use of rare 3D Color-Flow Power Doppler Ultrasound imaging for both diagnostic imaging and treatment.

Dr. Dattoli's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Radiation Oncology
  •  Board certified in Radiation Oncology

• Selected by the International Society of Oncologists as Leading Physician's of the World and Top Brachytherapist, 2001-2015
    • Summa Cum Laude, 1980
    • Patient's Choice Award, 2011 - 2015
    • Compassionate Doctor Recognition, 2010 - 2015
    • Alpha Kappa Psi, Man and Physician of the Year, Sarasota/Bradenton, 2008
    • Class Valedictorian, 1980
    • Selected to the Washington Oncology Roundtable Advisory Board for GU Malignancies, 2005-2015
    • Castle Connolly Top Doctor, 2016
    • Castle Connolly Top Doctor, 2015

Dr. Dattoli has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Dattoli's Board Certifications

Graduated in 1976

Vassar College Valedictorian

Graduated in 1980

• Other Education
    Assistant Associate Professor, Radiation Oncology and Brachytherapy, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

Completed in 1992

Dr. Dattoli does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dattoli and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Radiation Oncology

• Brachytherapy
  • Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
  • Prostate Brachytherapy