Dr. Michael Chmell, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

OrthoIllinois 5875 E Riverside Blvd Rockford, IL 61114 Get Directions
Dr. Michael Chmell, MD
Dr. Michael Chmell, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Rockford, IL. He is 54 years old and has been practicing for 28 years. Dr. Chmell is affiliated with Centegra Hospital - McHenry, Osf Saint Anthony Medical Center, SwedishAmerican Hospital, Centegra Hospital - Woodstock and Rockford Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Chmell's Care Philosophy

Although some may consider me a man of few words, my passion is solving problems and getting things to work like they were supposed to. That's why I enjoy treating people with knee pain - it gives me a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I've helped someone return to a healthy, normal and active lifestyle. Helping people is just about the most rewarding thing I can think of.

Dr. Chmell's Experience

See how Dr. Chmell's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Chmell

Dr. Chmell accepts 11 insurance carriers

Dr. Chmell is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Chmell has admitting privileges.

Dr. Chmell's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chmell to family and friends
Dr. Chmell's Performance
in Rockford, IL |
He is top notch and the best there is. He is 5/5 on everything!
in Rockford, IL |
I would give him an extra point if I could.
in Rockford, IL |
He is like God. He has replaced both of my knees and I am doing great.
in Rockford, IL |
Great surgeon and very informative.
He is awesome.
in rockford, il |
Love that Dr. Chmell gives it straight to you. He is a kind person. Excellent surgeon!
Rockford, IL |
Very pleased with my knee replacement. Had the other knee done by another Doctor 10 years ago and the results aren't even close. I am so far ahead of recovery schedule with this one. After 6 weeks, I actually have four more degrees of range than my other knee! The surgeon does an awesome job. A man of few words. He does it with his hands. Thank you Dr. Chmell.
in Rockford, IL |
My surgery experience was great. I would recommend Dr. Chmell to anyone.
in Rockford, IL |
I would give him a 100 if I could.
in Machesney Park, IL |
We knew Dr. Chmell was the best and that is why we chose to see him. He did great on the surgery and I recommend him to everyone.
in Machesney Park, IL |
I had heard Dr. Chmell was the best around and I can now personally attest to that. He explained to process thoroughly and had great patient care. I went through post-op with minimal pain or any complications. I would highly recommend Dr. Chmell to anyone
in Rockford, IL |
He is a man of few words but tells you all that needs to be done to have a successful surgery.
in Marengo, IL |
Dr. Chmell and I get along great.
Rockford, IL |
We think he is very professional and friendly.
Rockford, IL |
Dr. Chmell replaced my knee in March, 2017. Within two weeks I was walking without a walker and was experiencing only minor discomfort. He is an excellent surgeon and took very good care of me, as did his entire staff. They are all so friendly and professional and MOST importantly, the results are exceptional! I would recommend Dr. Chmell and Ortho Illinois and their therapy department to anyone who needs knee replacement surgery. I could not be more pleased with the results.
in Winnebago, IL |
I give him an A+++
in Belvidere, IL |
He is fantastic and everything I expected. Jason and Dr. Chmell are great!
in Rockford, IL |
Dr. Chmell did a great job. I was in and out and am very happy with the care I received.
He did a great job.
in Rockford, IL |
His work is wonderful, both knees have been replaced.
in Rockford, IL |
He is a Rock star and has a dream team
Great Staff
in Loves Park, Il |
Very personable
in Rockford, IL |
dr. chmell is a great surgeon I had my knee replaced by him and was back hitting tennis balls in 3 months. he is strictly business let's you know what he is going to do and what outcome you can expect. does not talk much abut personal stuff just does a great work
in Rockford, IL |
Excellent, compassionate, listens to patient, and provides all the needed care. I feel confident in all future care.
Excellent,excellent Doctor!
in Rockford, IL |
Very good and explained everything to me.
Rockford, IL |
He gave me my life and my knee feels great. I was unable to stand on my leg for 10 years and now I am marching!
Rockford, IL |
Very effective and above the rest. He is very honest.
Rockford, IL |
I think he is amazing and knows what he is doing.
Rockford, IL |
Awesome Dr. Always on time and answers all questions- amazing surgeon!!
in Rockford, IL |
This doctor was by far the rudest, most uncaring professional I have ever met. I was referred to him by 2 different doctors each saying I needed a TNR. After waiting over a month to see him, he sends in his PA. My husband and I demanded to see the doctor. He tells me he did not have time to look at my chart, he knows my knees are bone on bone. It was obvious that I was in extreme pain, told me to come back after I had lost weight despite my 2 ref. and walked out. Do not go to him.
Chicago, IL |
Went to this doctor for trauma to both knees. He never did any type of exam on either knee, but his office notes stated how I scored 4 out of 5 for this, or 5 out of 5 for that. The whole visit lasted less than 2 minutes. He got up and left before i could ask any questions. I was warned by many people that he had no personality, but they all said he was a good doctor. I don't think anyone who lies can be classified as good, so I can't agree that a doctor who lies about an exam is good.
in Rockford, IL |
Worst doctor I have ever encountered. Sent 1-2 minutes with him. Did not review my MRIs and only reviewed one of the 6 x-rays they took. Did not review my past history or current meds I was taking. No personality. I WOULD NEVER RETURN THIS THIS DOCTOR NOR RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE! VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!
in Freeport |
Had my knee replaced in 2008. Surgery done in 1/2 hr. Felt like butcher shop. Knee has been problem ever since but only saw PAs after surgery. At 2 yr Dr. C signed off in spite of my saying wasn't right. No one ever touched my knee just looked at xrays. Said looks great. Never again . Finally had another Ortho look at xray and agree looks good but when touched it moved all over. Agreed it's not good but to late to try to fix.
Excellent. The
Have you seen Dr. Michael Chmell, MD?
Are you Dr. Chmell?

Compare Dr. Chmell

Dr. Chmell's Care Philosophy

Dr. Chmell's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Chmell has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Chmell's Board Certifications

Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School

Completed in 1995

University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana

Graduated in 1985

Dr. Chmell does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chmell and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Hip Replacement