Dr. Michael Charters, MD

Dr. Michael Charters, MD

Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics  |

Dr. Michael Charters, MD is a joint replacement & reconstruction orthopedics doctor who practices in Detroit, MI. He is 35 years old and has been practicing for 8 years. Read his story

Henry Ford Medical Group

2799 W Grand Blvd Ste K-17

Detroit, MI 48202

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
  • HAP Insurance
  • Priority Health

Learn about Dr. Charters

Video

See how frequently Dr. Charters performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain
Knee Disorders
Joint Pain

Dr. Charters's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Charters' bio

This content was provided by Dr. Charters "I specialize in hip and knee replacement surgery and robotic partial knee replacement. Dr. Charters graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Michigan College of Engineering where he also obtained his Master of Engineering degree in Biomedical Engineering. He received his medical degree from the University of Michigan. He underwent residency training at Henry Ford where he was Chief Resident. Following this, he completed an additional year of subspecialty training dedicated to Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Charters is board certified in Orthopaedic Surgery by The American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Research Interests: Dr. Charters clinical interests include multimodal pain management and rapid recovery after joint replacement surgery. His research is focused on improving joint replacement surgery outcomes. Awards and Honors: Dr. Charters won the Orthopaedics journal "Best Clinical Article Award 2016". He was co-author on the winning research project at the Detroit Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons meeting 3 years in a row and won the Edward D. Henderson Physician In Training Award from the Mid-America Orthopaedic Association."

This content was provided by Dr. Charters "As a Henry Ford Joint Replacement surgeon, I enjoy getting to know my patients and the activities they enjoy.  By learning about my patients and their treatment goals, I am able to develop a personalized treatment plan to help them return to the activities they love.  I like to have an open discussion with my patients and their family members about all available options to treat their hip or knee arthritis.  I like to discuss not only surgery but also treatment options without surgery."

• Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Compound Fracture
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Gout
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Injuries
  • Knee Pain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus

• Total Knee Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement Revision
  • Uni-Compartmental Knee Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

• University of Michigan / Ann Arbor
  • Henry Ford Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2014
  • Cleveland Clinic
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2015

Dr. Charters has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Charters does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Charters and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Charters' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Charters to family and friends
Dr. Charters' Performance
in Ft Huachuca, AZ |
Dr. Charters was very personable from the first meeting. Initially he explained the need for the knee replacement surgery thoroughly in plain language. He had x-rays and pertinent information. Dr. Charters checked with me before surgery. The HFH knee replacement pre-surgery meetings were excellent. It's a big surgery, but I felt well informed and prepared. Dr. Charters checked in with me after surgery, walked me down the hallway, and posed for a photo. Follow up has been very good.
in Detroit, MI |
Dr Charters is very personable.
in Rochester, MI |
Great doctor. Answered all my questions prior to surgery & actually helped get me up & walking after surgery. I’m pain free for the first time in twenty years. . Will recommend Dr Charters to everyone.
in saint clair shores, MI |
worked with me very well in scheduling knee replacement. had medical issues and they were very good in working with other physicians and departments. informative and pleasant manner.
in Detroit |
I could tell from the very beginning Dr. Charter was very serious about his job, wanted the best for me. Because he explained everything to me precisely to me the only question I had for him was when can we do the surgery for my first and my second one to come. I love the way he talked slowly enough for me to understand as a he pointed out things to me while showing me my ex-rays. For once I could follow along.
in Monroe |
I had a hip replacement on 8/22/17. My experience has been exceptional and I can't say enough good things about Dr. Charters and his staff. He did a great job of preparing me for surgery. He was thorough and informative and patient with my questions. The surgery went smoothly and the recovery has been much easier than I thought it would be. I would recommend him without hesitation!
Grosse Pointe, MI |
My experience was great. Dr. Charters is very attentive and answered all my questions. My hip replacement surgery went well as did my recovery. Very pleased with the outcome.
in New Boston |
Dr. Charters is very caring. He goes out of his way to make sure you are comfortable and understand the procedure you are about to have. He is never in a hurry when you have your appointment.
Newark, NJ |
Outstanding docotor
in Detroit, MI |
I WOULD RECOMEND DR. CHARTERS TO ANYONE SUFFERING FROM THE PROBLEMS THAT HE SPECIALIZES IN. HE TOOK REALLY GOOD CARE OF ME. HE IS A WONDERFUL DOCTOR. IF I HAD ONE WISH, I WOULD WISH THAT I COULD WRAP HIM UP AN BRING HIM HOME.. HE IS SIMPLY THE BEST, HANDS DOWN..
in Redford, MI |
Dr. Charters is a Great doctor. He takes his time with you and explains everything that is going on with you, gives suggestions to solve your problem.. I'm very pleased.
in Detroit, MI |
I would highly recommend Dr. Charters to anyone needing Orthopedic services, I was very impressed with his concern for his patients overall well being and his willingness to look at other options prior to suggesting surgery. He conducted a very through testing on my knee to find out if my pain may have been caused by an infection which could cause my knee to be loose. Once the decision was made that surgery was needed, he explained everything in detail so I could understand. He was so nice.
in Detroit, MI |
I would highly recommend Dr. Charters to family and friends. He is very courteous, friendly and made me feel at ease the very first appointment I had with him. I have had two total knee replacements. They were both performed by Dr. Charters. I felt He spent ample time with me and asked if I had any questions or concerns. With my follow up appointments after surgery I felt the same courteous friendly spirit with Dr. Charters.
in Southgate, MI |
My experience with Dr. Charters was amazing. He's kind, courteous, and very attentive to his patient's medical needs. He explained everything that was going to happen in the operating room. We discussed different types of anesthesia and if I was comfortable with what he was going to recommend. He made good eye contact with me while we were talking, which is extremely important. He called me the evening before my surgery to see if I had any last minute questions for him. Top notch Dr. in my book.
in Inkster, Mi. |
My husband and I would recommend anyone in need of any type of Orthopedic Surgery to Dr. Michael Charters, MD. Dr. Charters is simply the best. He cares for his patients as if they are family. He'll spend time with family answering any and all questions. His cordial disposition put my husband at ease as to being my recovery coach. After (3) weeks of recovery from a knee replacement, I am doing great. Thank you, Dr. Charters.
in Detroit, MI |
Dr. Charters was meticulous and thorough in each visit and the surgical process! He is kind and compassionate. He took the time to answer all my concerns and calm any fears I had about my hip replacement. Dr. Charters and his staff motivated me to be successful in my recovery - back to work in 6 weeks! I have recommended him to friends and family. He is the best!
in Southgate, MI |
I highly recommend Dr. Charters. Not only is he great at what he does, he is always professional, takes the time to answer any questions I may have, and is very personable.
in Detroit, MI |
I found Dr. Charters to be very concerned and caring about the surgery I was having. He allowed for all of my concerns and never once pressured me. He is quite friendly. The night before surgery he called and checked to make sure I had no more questions and that I was comfortable about what I was doing. He even came by when I was being prepped for surgery. It's nice to know that your surgeon genuinely cares about you and not cut happy.. He ensured my daughter and I that eveything went well
in Clinton Township MI. |
Very professional as well as personable.I really like him.
in Detroit, MI |
DR. CHARTERS in my opinion is at the top of his profession at such young age and length of time on the job. I certain he will became even better with time. With his beautiful demeanor, small and personality he won't miss any target at gold he set for himself. A TRUE BEAUTIFUL AND TALENTED BROTHER. Your always in my thoughts!
in Detroit, MI |
Dr Charter is a very caring and attentive Dr. He was always their for answers when I had questions. I thank him for calling me the night before to see how I was and that really made me feel good.
in Detroit mi |
He is the best thank God for him
Dearborn, MI |
Dr Charters did a great job of walking me through everything about my hip replacement surgery and what recovery would be like, my hip feels better than it has in years !
in Detroit, MI |
OMG, what a wonderful,caring,compassionate,talented doctor.He worked a miracle with my surgery. I couldn't be happier with the outcome .Everyone I've spoken to about my surgery,I tell them that if they need or know someone who needs knee surgery he is the person to go to. Henry Ford should be so proud to have him on their staff. and should do everything possible to keep him. I've never experience a doctor like him. he called me the night before surgery to ask if I had questions. GREAT DOCTOR
in Plymouth, MI |
Awesome Dr!!!! Very compassionate and knowledgeable. Brought me through a very difficult hip fracture and femur breakage. Cannot recommend this Dr enough
in Detroit, MI48234 |
Dr. Charters was very informative about the process explaining what was to be done. He also explained his medical background to me which I had already researched. It was good that he took time to do these things otherwise I would not have been as comfortable with him as I was. I am very pleased with the outcome of the surgery. Dr. Charters was very easy to believe in.
in Eastpointe |
I highly recommend Dr. Charters for anyone who is having any orthopedic issues! I suffered over 5 years with my hip pain due to severe arthritis, He replaced my hip joint June 27, 2017 & I have been pain free ever since!! Dr. Charters has a great bed side manner and is very through with any questions or concerns I had. He came into my hospital room about 2 hours after surgery made me get out bed & walk to a chair I thought he was out of his mind but I am so happy he did, I love Dr. Charters
in Dearborn heights |
I had my knee replacement on June 6th. Dr. Charters is a wonderful doctor, good bedside manners, takes the time to listen to his patients. The best thing I could have done. Pain free now. Thank you Dr. Charters
in Gladwin, MI |
Dr is very knowledgeable in the field with a vast educational background in the field.
in Amherstburg, ONi |
Dr. Charters is a kind, compassionate, skilled surgeon.. He takes times to explain and answers questions in terms that patients and families can understand. He makes the patient feel like she is the most important patient he has under his care. His surgical skills are outstanding.
in Belleville, MI |
He made my first experience with reconstructive surgery peaceful, pleasant and encouraging. My frears of this type of surgery are relieved ??
in Dearborn, MI |
Dr. Charters and his staff were the ultimate professionals; the surgeries (2) to replace my hips went 100% according to plan. Everything to expect was explained, nothing was left to chance.My hip replacements are great, I have no pain and the surgery did not change my life style at all. I have recommended Dr. Charters to other people with joint needs and will continue to recommend him to any who ask.
in Detroit, MI |
Dr. Charters did an outstanding job with my hip replacement. I had very little pain and recovered much more quickly than I expected. I would definitely recommend Dr. Charters to family and friends.
in Dearborn, Michigan |
Very pleasant and answered all my questions.. He put my mind at ease about the surgery.. Great doctor, I would return to him again in a heart beat for further replacements .
in Temperance, Mi |
Excellent care and service. Had hip replacement surgery and everything went really well. Would definitively recommend Dr Charters .
Macomb, MI |
Overall experience with Dr Charters during office visit, surgery, post op and office was great. He cares for his patients and recovery.
in Detroit, MI |
I would be very inclined to recommend Dr Charters as well as the entire staff that treated me.
in detroit, mi |
I had a pleasant experience with Doctor Charters. I truly appreciate his expertise in Orthopedic Surgery.
in birmingham, mi |
Dr. Charters is genuinely concerned about his patient's welfare. He performed a difficult surgery on me with an excellent outcome.
in detroit, mi |
i think dr. charters did a great job on knee i feel bettet and everthing i just wating to get the other knee dont i dont want nobody but him and his team to do it. I wii recommend any body to him because did agreat job for me. my family was very happy of the out come of the surgial came out he explaine it real good to my family about how everthing was and it came out . he came to the room and check on me to make sure everthing was ok meet my daugther and sid thank you eventhing look good. Than
Detroit, MI |
Dr. Charters is very kind, and will listen to you about your concerns. I was a little Leary when I first met him, only because I was used to my orthopedic doctor that I had for years. He did my knee replacement and my what a good job.
in New boston,michigan |
Very good experience . This is my second knee surgery,first one done at the same hospital. The recovery this time was phenomenal. I had to use very little pain meds, and was off a walker and onto a cane in 3 weeks, fully ambulatory in 5 weeks. I believe that this is largely due to the new protocol of intraoperative and perioperative pain medicaltion as well as the excellent pre op and post op management. Less bruising/ leg pain, less nausea. The staff was also caring and courteous.
in Clinton Township, MI |
Completely satisfied and thankful for the level of care and professionalism provided by Dr. Charters and his team.
in Lincoln Park, MI |
He is the most excellent Doctor I have had treat me he goes above and beyond what he is expected of him!! He is a boon to your hospital!!!!!
in utica, mi |
Surgery on my rt. knee went great, my knee never had any pain from surgery a little discomfort from swelling but no real pain. Having my Lt. knee done at the end of the year, I think Dr. Charters did a great job.
in flat rock, mi |
where do i start? when talking with dr charters i was impressed with his sense of professionalism and how personable a person he is.dr charters walked me thru my procedure step by step answered all my many questions and concerns.dr charters even called me at home the nite before surgery to address my nerves now how many drs.do that.i am now recuperating from my 2nd knee replacement and will highly recommend dr. charters to my friends and family
detroit, mi |
I was very satisfied with the work Dr. Charters did on my knee.
in Windsor, ON |
Having had a right total knee replacement five years ago and needing a left knee replacement, my new search for a surgeon lead me to Dr. Michael Charters at H F H. From my first appoint with Dr. Charters and his team, I knew I was in the hands of the very best of the best. Following the surgery, I found it hard to believe how there was NO pain in my case and how this affected an immediate return to home afterwards. I could say much more, all positive/excellent care, what a great team . thank yo
in Flat Rock,Mi |
Dr.Charters is one of the most caring doctors I have ever been to, he is so understanding and is always so willing to help in any way possible. When I first meet him I was a little worried because he is so young but I wouldn't go to anyone else for my procedures. After I had my knee surgery he call and checked on me several times and came to visit me. He talked with my husband and I and answered all our questions and made sure I understood everything about the surgery and recovery. Thank you
in detroit, mi |
Dr. Charters and his staff are amazong! He has done both of my knee replacements. Highly recommend him to others, he will be doing a family members knee replacement in the near future.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Charters, MD?
Are you Dr. Charters?

Detroit, MI 48202
Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital
6777 W Maple Rd
West Bloomfield, MI 48322

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Charters at Henry Ford Medical Group