Dr. Michael Arata, MD

Integrative Medicine | Male

Arata Medical 4501 Birch St Ste A Newport Beach, CA 92660 Get Directions
Dr. Michael Arata, MD

About six years ago, Dr. Arata realized he was as chronically ill as his patients. He was sleeping only four hours each night, was overweight, had sleep apnea, severe gastric reflux and eczema. Since his 20s, he has suffered from high blood pressure. It had become poorly controlled — even with medication. He was working so hard developing his new practice and was in such high demand due to his expertise, and the unrelenting workload was taking its toll on his well-being. As an interventional radiologist Dr. Arata is an expert in limb salvage, the critical last step for legs otherwise headed for amputation. The majority of these patients facing the prospect of amputation could have made lifestyle choices years earlier which would have altered the course of their disease, eliminating or delaying the need for limb salvage therapy or amputation. While saving limbs was immensely gratifying, the last ditch effort approach to health left him frustrated and questioning. Why wait until their conditions got so dire? Why not investigate to see what could be done before this drastic phase? Most medical doctors dismiss the role of things like nutrition, proper sleep, exercise, and mindfulness in maintaining an individual's health. Fortunately, Dr. Arata recognized that he was on the same path, and without making lifestyle changes in his own life, he could be facing a similar fate. Dr. Arata was taking four blood pressure medications, at maximum dose, but still had a blood pressure of 180/110; the best of what modern medicine had to offer was failing him. He was first exposed to functional-type medicine via consulting with doctors who also treated his chronically ill patients. He was so inspired by what they were doing that he eventually attended integrative medicine conferences to gain more information. He began to implement what he learned, with his first patient being himself, and saw dramatic results. He decided this was the optimal route to health that he had been searching for. After only a couple of years of implementing these practices on himself, Dr. Arata had finally, after 30 years of trying, reached a normal blood pressure, lost almost 50 pounds, resolved his sleep apnea, reflux and eczema. Simply put, he has never felt better, and his progress is always ongoing. Dr. Michael A. Arata graduated from the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine in 1994. He completed residency training at Duke University in 1999. In 2000 he returned to California after a fellowship at the Hospital for the University of Pennsylvania. He works in Newport Beach, CA and specializes in Lifestyle Medicine. Dr. Arata is board certified in Radiology with added qualification in Interventional Radiology. He is also certified in Venous and Lymphatic Medicine, Obesity Medicine and Anti-Aging Medicine. He founded California's largest outpatient-based Interventional Radiology group and spent a decade specializing in limb salvage. He is the world's first Interventional Radiologist certified in Functional Medicine. Dr. Arata has an insatiable appetite for learning. While all doctors are required to complete minimal Continuing Medical Education to maintain their medical licenses, Dr. Arata attends multiple, optional courses per year, constantly adding to his expertise. Following the conclusion of his Functional Medicine training, he completed fellowships in Obesity Medicine and Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine. He is currently enrolled in the Integrative Medicine certification program at George Washington University.As a member of the International Society of Neurofeedback and Research, Dr. Arata is actively participating in furthering patient care using neurofeedback and biofeedback. His practice is brain-centric, employing strategies to establish balance to the body's systems, particularly the autonomic nervous system.

...See Less

Dr. Arata's Care Philosophy

Unlike traditional medicine, which views health problems as separate and unrelated conditions, functional medicine views these problems as symptoms of underlying imbalances in the body and looks further "upstream" to identify and address the primary causes of illness. Identifying the underlying causes and triggers allows us to unravel what led to the diagnosis rather than just dealing with its symptoms. Dr. Arata seeks an understanding of how it is all connected – the pattern disturbances and system imbalances that eventually lead to what we call disease. His goal is to recruit the body's own healing and regenerative properties, through lifestyle changes and clinical medicine, to restore balance and optimal health. Dr. Arata believes many illnesses can be prevented by partnering with you to gain control of your health, create a disease-free future and literally transform your life – Choose Arata Medical.

Dr. Arata's Experience

See how Dr. Arata's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Arata

Dr. Arata accepts 1 insurance carrier

Dr. Arata is now accepting new patients
Arata Medical4501 Birch St Ste A
Newport Beach, CA 92660
(949) 247-8877Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Arata has admitting privileges.

Dr. Arata's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Arata to family and friends
Dr. Arata's Performance
San Clemente, CA |
Dr. Arata is absolutely amazing. We came from AZ just to see him so he could help my daughter with her POTS condition. He takes so much time in learning about each of his patient's so that he can put together a customized treatment plan. He is very knowledgeable and kind. He spoke to my daughter in a way that she could understand and she felt very comfortable with him. I have no hesitation recommending him to others.
San Clemente, CA |
I was very impressed by Dr. Arata and the thoroughness of my visit. Understanding the causes of disease and making lifestyle changes that will overcome root issues was the focus. I feel like he is a partner in taking control of my health. I am so grateful for his expertise.
in Ft Collins, CO |
Dr Arata Literally changed my life for the better. While I know the TVAM treatment does not help everyone with MS, it did amazing things for me. I am still improving almost 6 months later and have a ways to go. I have no brain fog, that lifted during the procedure. I can stand on one foot, and my drop foot is so much better. It is amazing what blood flow to the brain can do for a person. From the bottom of my heart, Thank You Dr Arata! Lorraine Archer Fort Collins Colorado
He's a good Dr. But I just got a bill for $1,800 from visits a year and a half ago! It stated it was passed due and I never received the bill prior to this. He did help me figure out a diagnosis many other doctors missed which ultimately has lead me to switching to a specialist for treatment. I am so much better now because of his help figuring this out. But beware the billing Dept. Which is Unorganized!! I had no idea this bill was coming.
HE is the biggest,most expensive waste of time.He continually wanted to conduct expensive tests that we already had results to.His office is incredibly hard to get a hold of and don't communicate effectively.I had a test done that cost about $200&I did not find out the test was discarded until 6 months later. I paid $175 for an out of office call 2 months in advance and he had the audacity to reschedule an hour before the call. $175 later, he was 30 minutes late and spent 17 minutes with me.
in league city, tx |
I left one survey before my procedure and I wanted to leave anther one post procedure because I know, like me, there are those of you out there who are wondering if this really works, if this can really help YOUR life. I was so sick for so long and, as wife and mom who was barely functioning for years, I am truly AMAZED and THANKFUL for what I am experiencing in my body right now. I am very thankful for Dr. Arata and his staff, they have changed my life and the lives of our family.
in Janesville, NY |
Day of procedure. He is Extremely through and extensive about where my health is currently! I have received information of what I need to change with my daily diet and exercise. I'm very excited about where I'm headed!!!
in Riverside, CA |
I felt like he actually cared to listen to me. He reassured me on so many things! I found myself getting excited when I was listening to him explain things. He was intelligent but willing to dumb the information down to my level. His analogys were especially great. I feel very confident with my health for the first time in years. I look very forward to continuing on this journey of healing with him. Dr Arata is fantastic!
in Victoria, BC, Canada |
Very informative, helpful, insightful. Made me feel at ease. Took the time to discuss all our concerns in a clear and concise way.
in Pleasant View TN |
Very informative, broke everything down so that I could understand what he was talking about. Very knowledgeable and gave me hope.
Very knowledgeable.
in Sparks, NV |
He was very nice and had a great feeling about him. I felt very confident while meeting with him before the procedure. He was knowledgeable and had a gameplan to help me feel better.
in Mission Viejo CA |
I was referred to this site for BioTE pellets and I was blown away with the kindness, professionalism and overall feel of the clinic. From the initial phone call through to my appointment, I was not disappointed. This team is lead by an amazing physician and I highly recommend this clinic for any health care needs. I absolutely will be back and will recommend to my friends and colleagues!
in Australia |
Although Dr Arata was very helpful, it is unlikely that my family and friends would be able to travel so far to see him.
in London, KY |
Dr Arata is very kind, thorough, and caring. He looks at everything as a whole rather than individually. I found it nice that he did not appear intimidated by the fact I have multiple conditions, some of which are rare. He is very easy to communicate with.
in Nashville, Tn |
Dr Arata spent 2 hours with me today on my first visit. He listens & explains things very well!! I'm very impressed. I wish my 2 tests had been mailed to me at my house, as they should have been a month ago. Then I could have been able to go over results with him today. I ALSO RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE A BAND ANA TO COVER HAIR COVERED IN GEL, after brain electronic test.
in Newport Beach, CA |
Very friendly and didn't seem rushed. Seemed very willing to answer questions.
in Paragould, AR |
It was very positive and informative.
in Laguna Niguel, CA |
Very unique practice with non conventional treatments.
in California |
Everybody, including Dr. Arata gave a pleasant experience. Thank you for being calm, pleasant, and informative.
in Richmond, VA |
We came for the tvam procedure for my son who has dysautonomia. We thought the initial testing that was submitted before hand was well worth the effort and Dr. Arata explained the results well. The initial interview was excellent. He does a great job of listening to the patients and has great questions about things that were helpful for us to consider.
in Canyonville |
Very good an excellent person knowledgeable
in Nv |
He seemed very helpful and throw.
in Santa Rosa CA |
If you need this kind of specialized medical treatment, I would feel good about recommending Dr. Arata.
in Peace river Alberta canada |
Very personable and informative
Newport Beach, CA |
Follow up visit was great; results of tests explained, easy to understand. Dr Arata spends appropriate time in visit.
in Idaho Falls, ID |
Extremely satisfied!! Dr.Arata asked many pertinent questions, listened thoughtfully. He discussed all of my concerns, was knowledgeable and thorough. He was patient with my questions, and also my cousin's questions.
in Blackfoot, ID |
I am so glad to get this procedure I have been without hope for a long time and this is this hope
in Newport Beach, CA |
I have been treated twice by Dr Arata and both times extremely happy with the outcome. He has always been on the front lines working to find what is working and adapting to always improve his procedures. He takes the time to answer any questions and his staff are so kind and helpful through the process. We have travelled from a different state in order to see Dr. Arata and they were aware of this and made it very accommodating for us. I have recommended him many times and will continue to!
in Tucson, AZ |
Awesome
in AZ |
Dr Arata performed TVAM an Stem Cell Therapy. There were a few instant results but mostly he analyzed my body's systems and recommended therapies for healing. The lifestyle ahead of me include good nutrition, hormone therapy, vitamins and minerals, exercise, and general mind/body healing. Looking forward to balance and wellness. He and his team were kind and efficient and understood my preference for natural and organic healing. Don't expect a magic pill but permanent solutions and guidance.
in Temecula, CA |
All office and medical personnel very affable, pleasant, helpful. Very nice physical office and equipment. I did not feel rushed; a lot of time was spent with me, in asking questions, explanations, possible treatments, and my comfort level in the discussions.
in Merrick new york |
Dr.Arata is a top notch Doctor who is caring listens to patients concerns and is current in knowledge of new scientific information for solutions to diseases he is helping people with. His staff is helpful and friendly. I highly recommend Dr m. Arata for his expertise with his patients concerns.
Have you seen Dr. Michael Arata, MD?
Are you Dr. Arata?

Compare Dr. Arata

Dr. Arata says...

As an interventional radiologist Dr. Arata is an expert in limb salvage, the critical last step for legs otherwise headed for amputation. The majority of these patients facing the prospect of amputation could have made lifestyle choices years earlier which would have altered the course of their disease, eliminating or delaying the need for limb salvage therapy or amputation.  While saving limbs was immensely gratifying, the last ditch effort approach to health left him frustrated and questioning. Why wait until their conditions got so dire? Why not investigate to see what could be done before this drastic phase? Most medical doctors dismiss the role of things like nutrition, proper sleep, exercise, and mindfulness in maintaining an individual's health. Fortunately, Dr. Arata recognized that he was on the same path, and without making lifestyle changes in his own life, he could be facing a similar fate. Dr. Arata was taking four blood pressure medications, at maximum dose, but still had a blood pressure of 180/110; the best of what modern medicine had to offer was failing him.

He was first exposed to functional-type medicine via consulting with doctors who also treated his chronically ill patients.  He was so inspired by what they were doing that he eventually attended integrative medicine conferences to gain more information. He began to implement what he learned, with his first patient being himself, and saw dramatic results.  He decided this was the optimal route to health that he had been searching for. After only a couple of years of implementing these practices on himself, Dr. Arata had finally, after 30 years of trying, reached a normal blood pressure, lost almost 50 pounds, resolved his sleep apnea, reflux and eczema. Simply put, he has never felt better, and his progress is always ongoing.

Dr. Michael A. Arata graduated from the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine in 1994. He completed residency training at Duke University in 1999. In 2000 he returned to California after a fellowship at the Hospital for the University of Pennsylvania. He works in Newport Beach, CA and specializes in Lifestyle Medicine. Dr. Arata is board certified in Radiology with added qualification in Interventional Radiology. He is also certified in Venous and Lymphatic Medicine, Obesity Medicine and Anti-Aging Medicine. He founded California's largest outpatient-based Interventional Radiology group and spent a decade specializing in limb salvage.  He is the world's first Interventional Radiologist certified in Functional Medicine.

Dr. Arata's Care Philosophy

Unlike traditional medicine, which views health problems as separate and unrelated conditions, functional medicine views these problems as symptoms of underlying imbalances in the body and  looks further "upstream" to identify and address the primary causes of illness.  Identifying the underlying causes and triggers allows us to unravel what led to the diagnosis rather than just dealing with its symptoms.

Dr. Arata seeks an understanding of how it is all connected – the pattern disturbances and system imbalances that eventually lead to what we call disease. His goal is to recruit the body's own healing and regenerative properties, through lifestyle changes and clinical medicine, to restore balance and optimal health.

Dr. Arata believes many illnesses can be prevented by partnering with you to gain control of your health, create a disease-free future and literally transform your life – Choose Arata Medical.

Dr. Arata says...

Most conditions, be it heart disease, autoimmune conditions, chronic illness, even mental conditions such as anxiety and depression are brought on by lifestyle choices and therefore can be treated or reversed by lifestyle.

At Arata Medical, you are not merely a symptom or a diagnosis.  We won't just hand you a prescription and send you home.  We treat you as a complete, complex being, whose health is the product of your environment – diet, activity, brain health, emotional state, and rest – and we offer a wide array of solutions to address every aspect of your health.

From this, we develop a personalized plan tailored to your unique physiology and goals; this integrative approach may incorporate alternative and natural therapies as well as traditional clinical medicine.  As an MD, Dr.  Arata has an extensive knowledge of medicine, and understands that prescription medications may be needed.

We are passionate about teaching you how to be your own advocate and enjoy lifelong health.

Dr. Arata says...

We offer a comprehensive range of medical lifestyle optimization treatments and services to help our patients address and resolve their medical issues and achieve lifelong health. As a board certified physician, Dr. Arata has the clinical expertise to combine conventional medical treatments with evidence-based complementary and integrative therapies to create personalized care plans that treat mind and body.  Including:

Stem Cell Therapy

Thanks to recent developments in both medical research and technology, we now offer treatment with stem cell therapy from the patient's own body fat for a broad range of degenerative diseases and chronic conditions, from joint/cartilage degeneration (arthritis) to autoimmune, neurological, and cardio/respiratory conditions. Dr. Arata is trained in the very latest stem cell therapies and is a member of the Cell Surgical Network.

Dr. Arata's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Integrative Medicine
    •  Board certified in Diagnostic Radiology, Interventional Radiology & Vascular Radiology and Phlebology

Dr. Arata has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Arata's Board Certifications

• Autonomic Neuropathy
    • Brain Injury
    • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    • Concussion
    • Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
    • Depression
    • Memory Loss
    • Menopause
    • Motor Neuropathy, Peripheral With Dysautonomia
    • Peripheral Arterial Disease of Extremities
    • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
    • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

• Nutritional Counseling
    • Nutritional Supplementation
    • Obesity Counseling
    • Peripheral Angioplasty
    • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
    • Prolotherapy Injections