Dr. Michael Anderson, DO

Dr. Michael Anderson, DO

Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  ·
Dr. Michael Anderson, DO is an orthopedic foot & ankle surgery specialist in Woodbury, MN. He graduated from Midwestern University Chicago College Of Osteopathic Medicine and specializes in orthopedic foot & ankle surgery and orthopedic surgery.Read his story

2090 Woodwinds Dr

Woodbury, MN 55125

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Learn about Dr. Anderson

See how frequently Dr. Anderson performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
Sprains and Strains (incl. Muscle Tear)

Dr. Anderson's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Anderson's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Anderson "Dr. Michael Anderson's parents didn't have to be in the medical profession to shape his career path. "I knew I was going to be a doctor when I was five years old," he says. "I attribute a part of my career path to the way my parents raised us. And I wasn't the only sibling drawn to medicine: all of us were drawn to caring for other people and taking an interest in their health and well-being. It's also true that I was introduced to medicine early. My sister had open-heart surgery when she was 13 months old. So as a kid, I spent a lot of time in hospitals and doctors' offices and around physicians. I don't know if those early days in the Minneapolis health system did the trick, but medicine just clicked for all of us." An education marked by internationally recognized medical research Dr. Anderson earned his bachelor's degree from Saint John's University (Collegeville, MN) and went to medical school in Chicago at Midwestern University. "I did my residency through Henry Ford in Detroit, and then was very fortunate to do a fellowship in New York at the University of Rochester," he says. "Rochester's fellowship program is supervised by world-class ankle and foot surgeons. I was lucky enough to be mentored by five of them, and to work on research that has been recognized at numerous national and international meetings, including the 2017 Triennial International Federation of Foot and Ankle Societies (IFFAS) convention in Lisbon, Portugal." Dr. Anderson discusses the rewards of foot and ankle orthopedic practice "Orthopedic specialties are uniquely positioned in all of medicine," he says when asked about his choice of subspecialty. "We find problems and we fix them. I feel an enormous amount of satisfaction in helping patients identify their medical issue, addressing it, and then designing treatment to help give patients the best possible outcome. I also really enjoy treating patients of all ages and all walks of life. A foot and ankle specialty covers a lot of medical ground, and I enjoy it all," he continues. I like sports. I enjoy helping patients with trauma injuries. And my pediatric patients are such a joy. The most rewarding part of my work is getting my patients back to their lives." Patient trust is at the heart of his treatment approach "I think part of my job as a doctor is to help my patients feel comfortable," says Dr. Anderson. "All patients are vulnerable when they see you. I offer a friendly environment where patients feel comfortable asking questions. And I want them to know they are going to get an honest answer because their best interest is my priority. That is a responsibility that I take to heart. My time with each patient may be limited, but I use it to understand who each patient is as a person, where they are coming from, and how their problem affects their quality of life. "This is especially true when there are a couple of different ways to solve a medical problem," Dr. Anderson notes. "I have to figure out which solution is the right fit for the patient's priorities and values. The young guy who wants to go elk hunting in Colorado every fall may not be right for an ankle replacement, but the grandfather who just wants to walk around Lake Harriet with his grandchildren might do well with one. Getting to know patients helps me to understand their goals and what they care about. Committed to caring for his hometown community "My wife and I are both from the Twin Cities," says Dr. Anderson. "My medical studies took me to other parts of the country, but now we are really excited to be home. I may have been gone from Minnesota for 10 years, but I feel like a Minnesotan through and through. It's great to be playing hockey here again, and I can't wait to get back up to the Boundary Waters. A recent study declared Minnesota the happiest state in the nation; I'm not surprised. I can't think of anything more rewarding than caring for the people of the community I've loved for my entire life.""

This content was provided by Dr. Anderson "Foot and ankle problems affect people from all walks of life. Whether your goal is to get back to competitive sports, live a more active life, resume work or enjoy time with family and friends, I'm here to help."

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

Dr. Anderson does not have any board certifications listed.

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Ankle Fracture
  • Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Ankle Sprains and Strains
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Foot Fracture
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Minnesota.

• Midwestern University Chicago College Of Osteopathic Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated
  • Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
  • University Of Rochester Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Anderson has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Anderson has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Anderson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Anderson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Anderson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Anderson to family and friends

Dr. Anderson's Performance

01/30/2013 I slipped on the ice, dislocated my ankle, and broke my leg in 3 places. I've had a lot of pain and a horrible limp ever since. When Dr. Anderson removed the plate and pins, I was walking, not limping, the next day. After almost 5 years of pain and limping, it is stunning how much better...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
I could not have been more impressed with Dr. Anderson! I truly feel he has the patients best interest at hand. I was comfortable expressing my feelings about surgery to him and he definitely put me at ease by listening closely to me and giving me full explanations about my ankle break and any...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option