Dr. Melissa Helms, MD

Internal Medicine | Female

Dr. Melissa Helms, MD

Dr. Melissa Helms, MD is an internal medicine doctor who practices in Golden, CO. She is 37 years old and has been practicing for 11 years. Dr. Helms is affiliated with Lutheran Medical Center and St. Anthony Hospital.

...See Less

Dr. Helms' Care Philosophy

As a primary care physician, I see myself as a key advocate for my patient's health working synergistically with them to achieve and maintain optimal wellness and quality of life. My goal is to meet the individual health care needs of each of my patients remaining aware of the unique mind, body and spirit of every person I encounter.

Dr. Helms' Experience

See how Dr. Helms' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Helms

Dr. Helms accepts 8 insurance carriers

Dr. Helms is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Helms has admitting privileges.

Dr. Helms' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Helms to family and friends
    4.1
    Dr. Helms' Performance
    Denver, CO |
    By far the best doctor's office I've ever been to..I have seen both Dr. Kelly and Dr. Helms as well there excellent nurse practitioners in my 4 years as a patient. They have always been kind, compassionate, and most importantly SMART! Both doctors have uncovered health "mysteries" no one else could and I love the fact that they give options, not just an immediate prescription for my symptoms, as that might not be the best solution. The staff is great, and I can always get in with and NP same-day
    in Denver, CO |
    It's easy to come on here & slander a doc cause your visit may not have gone exactly how you hoped, or you didn't receive the drugs you 'wanted' and may not need. As someone in healthcare who knows first hand the things a hard working doctor may see on any given day, I want anyone reading this to know that the time I have spent at New West and with Dr. Helms has been a wonderful one, she always addresses the important issues and is one of the most understanding/caring docs I've ever had!!!
    in Lakewood, CO |
    Dr. Helms listens well and takes the time to understand my concerns. The office is well run. Appointments are efficient and effective - on time and minimum wait times. E-mail and phone questions are responded to quickly.
    in Arvada, CO |
    Dr. Helm's bedside manor is poor, she's dismissive, & provides generic answers to move you on your way quickly. (I've never spent more than 4 minutes with her.) When she examined my injuries from a car accident, she spent less than 60 sec examining me & then refused to give me a referral to a back doctor because she believed I should go straight to a physical therapist. I literally had to beg her for a reference to ensure my back was OK before having a non-doctor (PT) working on my injuries.
    Englewood, CO |
    I've been a patient for over a year, have visited multiple times, and have yet to see the elusive Dr. Helms. I am always assigned to a PA. I ran out of an Rx and after two weeks and multiple phone calls and three different people telling me it was already called in - no wait, that was another one - no wait we need to leave a message with the assistant - okay, it'll be called in, SO sorry for the mix-up - STILL no meds. This is the most dysfunctional medical office I've ever experienced.
    in Colorado Springs, CO |
    We were recommended to Dr. Helm by my aunt (she is now no longer a patient) Our first appt for my mom was supposed to be a full physical but we were pushed off to the PA for the appt. What a huge disappointment!! She did not listen but TOLD my mother what her symptoms were. And a huge waste of time and money and 3 hour drive for myself. Was told to come to see Dr. Helm for real physical. After 1 1/2 drive we got lost and were 10 mins late. We were told to reschedule. Dr refused to see us.
    in Wheat Ridge, CO |
    I have been a patient of Dr. Helms for many years, and she has always been helpful and professional. She takes her time to listen to her patient and integrates her patient's needs into her treatment plan. I feel that she is a partner in managing my health, not just a doctor that is not vested in taking in consideration of what his or her patients' healthcare beliefs or expectations.
    lakewood |
    I was coming in for a surgical followup appt. and needed to talk about many concerns I had. Helms told me that all of my concerns could not be addressed at my appointment and that she had time to discuss the top two or three concerns. She was sorry and had to run. I would need to make another appointment to address to discuss other concerns. My appointment was at 4:15 and Ieft the office at 4:28. I was very disappointed when I left. My husband had never met Helms and suggested I find a new PCP.
    in Denver, CO |
    Dr Helms is an excellent provider that I would highly recommend. She takes time with her patients , never rushes you and is always helpful and non-judgmental.
    Have you seen Dr. Melissa Helms, MD?
    Are you Dr. Helms?

Dr. Helms' Care Philosophy

Dr. Helms' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Internal Medicine
    •  Board certified in Internal Medicine

• NCQA Heart/Stroke Recognition Program - 2011-2014, 2011
      • 5280 Magazine, "Colorado's Top Doctors" (Internal Medicine), 2012
      • NCQA PPC-Patient Centered Medical Home, Level 3, 2012-2015, 2012
      • NCQA Diabetes Recognition Program - 2011-2014, 2011

Dr. Helms has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Colorado.

Why It Matters: Dr. Helms' Board Certifications

• Anemia
    • Asthma
    • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
    • Emphysema

Oregon Health and Sciences University

Completed in 2009

Colorado State University

Graduated in 2002

Dr. Helms does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Helms and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Allergy Testing