Dr. Matthew Wick, MD

Family Medicine | Male

Dr. Matthew Wick, MD
I grew up in rural southeastern Ohio as a typical "computer nerd," and then moved on to college in Pittsburgh to study Electrical and Computer Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University. Although challenging and exciting, I realized that an engineering career would lead to many hours sitting behind a desk, and I wanted to pursue something more directly engaging. Ultimately I landed on medicine. I spent time working as a nursing assistant at a local hospital to confirm that I was comfortable in the medical environment, then jumped head first into training. In 2007 I matriculated into the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and worked for the next four years to learn the intricacies of the human body and decide what medical specialty suited me. Sage advice from elder doctors is to choose a specialty whose members' company you enjoy. I definitely enjoyed family doctors the most; they seemed the most grounded, compassionate, and "real." I completed my Family Medicine residency in 2010 and proceeded to Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX to fulfill my medical school scholarship obligation to the Air Force. Although exceedingly grateful for the opportunity the Air Force scholarship afforded me, and pleasantly surprised that we were stationed in Abilene, we decided to permanently locate in Abilene after my active duty service was repaid. I found a practice of wonderful, Christian, and independently minded physicians to join, and have been gratefully serving the Big Country ever since.

Dr. Wick's Care Philosophy

I believe in caring for the whole person, considering everything that is happening in their lives. I look to identify root causes and help patients to work toward resolving those instead of just covering up symptoms.

Dr. Wick's Experience

See how Dr. Wick's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Wick

Dr. Wick accepts 9 insurance carriers

Dr. Wick is now accepting new patients
Abilene Office1441 Pine St
Abilene, TX 79601
Saturday
(325) 672-3252Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Wick has admitting privileges.

Dr. Wick's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wick to family and friends
3.7
Dr. Wick's Performance
Abilene, tx |
Dr wick loves being a doctor, and hes great at it. He will listen to everything you say and do his best to make you better or get you what you need. Hes very christian if you like that sort of thing and if you dont he will do his just the best he can for you anyway. Hes incredible. And his nurse is a sweet, competent lady as well. I tell everyone to go to him.
in Abilene, TX |
Dr. Wick is a great doctor, he cares about his patients. I would recommend him to all my friends and family .
Dr. Wick is compassionate, determined,
in Abilene, TX |
I've never had a doctor listen to me like Dr. Wick. He heard all of my concerns without any rush. We take our whole family to see him. Highly recommend him to all of our friends.
in Abilene, TX |
Our whole family are patients of Dr Wicks and are very happy with his and his back office staff care. On the other hand our experience with the front waiting room and administration staff is the opposite and a customer service course would make a huge improvement. If you can get past the front desk your care will be amazing!!
Abilene, TX |
I really appreciate the professionalism of Dr. Wick. He is good at listening and answering any questions we may have. He takes time to explain his diagnosis and usually gives us options for treatment. He is great at examining our kiddos without upsetting them. If you have a 2 and 3 year old then you know how rare that is! I love the staff and would recommend him to anyone who is new to Abilene and looking for a great family doc.
in Abilene, TX |
Dr. Wick is fine, however his nurse is horrible at contacting you. She was supposed to set up a referral for me and never did. I called more then a dozen times and left messages. One month later and still nothing. Office staff is no help on anything.
in Abilene Tx |
He listens to you. Is not in a big hurry. His bedside manner is one of the best I've seen in Abilene. There should be more like him.
Have you seen Dr. Matthew Wick, MD?
Are you Dr. Wick?

Compare Dr. Wick

Dr. Wick says...

I grew up in rural southeastern Ohio as a typical "computer nerd," and then moved on to college in Pittsburgh to study Electrical and Computer Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University.  Although challenging and exciting, I realized that an engineering career would lead to many hours sitting behind a desk, and I wanted to pursue something more directly engaging.  Ultimately I landed on medicine.  I spent time working as a nursing assistant at a local hospital to confirm that I was comfortable in the medical environment, then jumped head first into training.

In 2007 I matriculated into the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and worked for the next four years to learn the intricacies of the human body and decide what medical specialty suited me.  Sage advice from elder doctors is to choose a specialty whose members' company you enjoy.  I definitely enjoyed family doctors the most; they seemed the most grounded, compassionate, and "real."

I completed my Family Medicine residency in 2010 and proceeded to Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX to fulfill my medical school scholarship obligation to the Air Force.  Although exceedingly grateful for the opportunity the Air Force scholarship afforded me, and pleasantly surprised that we were stationed in Abilene, we decided to permanently locate in Abilene after my active duty service was repaid.  I found a practice of wonderful, Christian, and independently minded physicians to join, and have been gratefully serving the Big Country ever since.

Dr. Wick's Care Philosophy

I believe in caring for the whole person, considering everything that is happening in their lives.  I look to identify root causes and help patients to work toward resolving those instead of just covering up symptoms.

Dr. Wick says...

I have a unique, holistic perspective to the practice of family medicine.  I bring to the table not only conventional allopathic training and experience, but also training and experience in traditional chinese medicine, herbalism, allergy/immunotherapy, neurochemistry and travel medicine.  My military experience has geared me to be a multidisciplinarian, eager to reach out to and work with advanced practice nurses, physical therapists, massage therapists, chiropractors, naturopaths, clinical pharmacists and anyone else who I think may have something of value to add to my patients' treatment and recovery.

Dr. Wick says...

I have had additional formal postgraduate training in

• Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) including Chinese Scalp Acupuncture (CSA) and auriculotherapy
  • Allergy testing and treatment including allergy shots (subcutaneous immunotherapy) and allergy drops (sublingual immunotherapy)

During my time in the military I developed additional expertise in many types of joint injections

Dr. Wick's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Family Medicine
  •  Board certified in Family Practice

Dr. Wick has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Wick's Board Certifications

• Family Practice

• Allergies
  • Asthma
  • COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • Depression
  • Infectious Diseases
  • Injuries
  • Menopause
  • Pneumonia
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)

Univ Of Pittsburgh Sch Of Med

Usaf Sch Aerospace Med

Completed in 2013

Walsh Institute Neurochemistry

Completed in 2016

Dr. Wick does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wick and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Abscess Incision and Drainage