Dr. Matthew Tomaino, MD

Dr. Matthew Tomaino, MD

Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Matthew Tomaino, MD is an orthopedic hand surgery doctor who practices in Rochester, NY. He is 57 years old and has been practicing for 31 years. Read his story

1445 Portland Ave Ste 201

Rochester, NY 14621

• Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
  • Medicare
  • MVP Health Care
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Tomaino

See how frequently Dr. Tomaino performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Joint Pain
Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
Shoulder Disorders

Dr. Tomaino's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Tomaino's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Tomaino "Dr Tomaino founded the Tomaino Orthopaedic Care for Shoulder, Hand and Elbow LLC in July 2008 after 15 years in full time academic practice to prioritize patient care and enable superb delivery thereof. His practice provides unparalleled hassle-free access to the highest level of expertise and innovation, where he and his team challenge the status quo and resist mediocrity daily. He is uniquely qualified. Dr Tomaino was Professor of Orthopaedics and Chief of the Division of Hand Shoulder and Elbow Surgery at the University of Rochester Medical Center from September 2002 - April 2007. Before being recruited back to Rochester--where he grew up and attended McQuaid Jesuit High School-- he served as an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Chief of Microsurgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. While at the University of Pittsburgh, he received his Masters in Business from the Katz School. Author of more than 150 scientific articles and book chapters related to Hand Shoulder and Elbow problems and their treatment, he has trained numerous residents and fellows, and regularly delivers instructional lectures internationally and nationally. He is also a member of the Editorial Boards of several Journals including the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and the American Journal of Orthopaedics. Dr. Tomaino routinely asks for and is responsive to feedack about your care experience. This commitment has resulted in a truly exceptional offering."

This content was provided by Dr. Tomaino "We don't view patient reviews and feedback as either right or wrong but, rather, always absolutely valid. We feel that reviews are about how you felt about your interaction with us so we want to know. Our offering is constantly crafted to provide not only a great outcome, but one that exceeds your expectations. You will have access to Dr Tomaino 24/7 via phone and or email."

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hand Injury
  • Hand Pain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Subacromial Bursitis
  • Systemic Sclerosis
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Trigger Finger

• Wrist Ligament Reconstruction
  • Wrist Reconstruction
  • Wrist Replacement
  • Wrist Surgery

No malpractice history found for New York.

1 Sanction
  • Disciplinary action in another state (2/19/2013)
    Action Taken: Probation
    Summary: Dr. Matthew Michael Tomaino; License # MD051421L; NATURE OF COMPLAINT: The physician had disciplinary action taken against his license by the licensing authority of New York. ACTION TAKEN: The Pennsylvania Board of Medicine indefinitely suspended the physician's license. The Board stayed the suspension and placed the physician on probation until the physician's New York license is reinstated without restriction. The Board also imposed a $10,000. civil penalty.
    State: Pennsylvania

• University Of Pittsburgh / Main Campus
    Other Education | Completed 2002
  • University Of Toronto / Faculty Of Medicine
    Other Education | Completed 1994

Dr. Tomaino has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Tomaino has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Tomaino does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tomaino and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Tomaino's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tomaino to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Tomaino Says:

We don't view patient reviews and feedback as either right or wrong but, rather, always absolutely valid. We feel that reviews are about how you felt about your interaction with us so we want to know. Our offering is constantly crafted to provide not only a great outcome, but one that exceeds your expectations.

Dr. Tomaino's Performance
in Bolivar, NY |
Dr. Tomanio talks to you, not at you. Explains everything. Very comfortable environment. Staff is knowledgeable and friendly. He did an amazing job fixing my shoulder.
in Rochester, New York |
I would recommend Dr Tomaino to any one. Dr Tomaino and his staff are the best at what they do. They made me feel comfortable and confident about every part of the process. They listen and are always available to support your needs and questions. I was able to return to work in construction because of Dr Tomanio and his staff. The care and recommendations for post surgery were also great ( p/t and o/t ). I wouldn't be where I'm at today if I hadn't chosen Dr Tomaino and his staff .
in Geneseo, NY |
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Tomaino and his whole staff!
in rochester ny |
Tomaino Orthopedics was a very pleasing experience. Amy, Bonnie and Lisa the doctors staff are highly trained and very personable. The staff all knows who you are and are very efficient in all levels of care. Dr Tomaino is also very personable and thorough with his care and a highly respected talented surgeon. Its is wonderful being treated as an individual . I would rate my experience a five star! Carol Bonczek
in Ontario, NY |
Dr. Tomaino is a miracle worker! I have lived with numbness and pain for five plus years, and in a matter of hours after my surgery, it was nearly gone. It has only been two weeks since the surgery and I am already 100 percent better than before surgery and I am more still healing. Anybody out there looking to have surgery for your hands, or shoulders, look no further! There is no better.
Hilton, NY |
I had a very pleasant experience with everyone at Dr. Tomaino's office. Everyone that I met was so professional and treated me like I was their #1 priority. Dr. Tomaino was very thorough and knowledgeable of my injury. He took ample time with me and explained my diagnoses of my wrist and hand pain. Not many doctors take the time to explain everything like Dr. Tomaino did. I did not feel rushed and D. Tomaino made sure all my questions were answered before I left.
in Bergen, NY |
The surgeon that I was originally referred to told me that nothing could be done for my shoulder except surgery due to a tear. x-rays were taken as well as an MRI. Dr.Tomaino gave me a cortisone shot and sent me to therapy. After six weeks my shoulder feels great! I still do my exercises every day but hopefully I won't need surgery. If I do need surgery it will be micro-surgery. I can't thank Dr. Tomaino enough from saving me from a painful operation and a long recovery. He is great!
in DANSVILLE, NY |
I WAS DR TOMANO'S FIRST PATIENT AFTER GOING ON HIS OWN. HE REPLACED MY LEFT SHOULDER. I COULD NOT RAISE MY ARM ABOVE MY CHEST. ABOUT THREE WEEKS AFTER SURGERY & EXCELLENT THERAPY, MY SHOULDER STARTED WORKING BETTER THAN BEFORE. IN NO TIME AT ALL I GAINED 100% USE OF MY ARM AGAIN. DR. TOMANO'S KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS ARE SUPERIOR . I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM TO EVERYONE I TALK TO. MY RIGHT SHOULDER IS NEARLY DUE FOR SURGERY & YOU CAN BE ASSURED IT WILL BE DONE BY DR. MATT CAN BET IT WILL BE DONE BY
in Rochester, NY |
My first experience, by far exceeded my expectations. It was the absolute best experience I've ever had at any doctor's office. Dr.Tomaino and every single person in that office were beyond personable, friendly, caring, thorough, and knowledgeable........simply a wonderful experience !
in Dansville, NY |
Dr. Tomaino and his wife along with all his staff is the best there is. They preformed shoulder surgery on my right shoulder and I can say that I have less pain than I did before the surgery and it's only been 3 weeks since I had the surgery. I could not be more thankful for there great service. A big thanks to the Tomaino's!
in Rochester, NY |
Saw Doctor Tomaino for a wrist injury. Doctor Tomaino is very thorough and has a wonderful bed side manner. The staff is friendly and the wait is minimal. Not only would I recommend him but I have. My father, wife and my youngest son have all seen Doctor Tomaino and all share my high opinion of him!!
Have you seen Dr. Matthew Tomaino, MD?
Are you Dr. Tomaino?