Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO

Colorectal Surgery •  Male • Age 37

Dr. Schultzel

Matthew M. Schultzel, DO

477 N El Camino Real Encinitas, CA 92024

Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO is a colorectal surgery specialist in Encinitas, CA and has been practicing for 4 years. He graduated from Touro University, College Of Osteopathic Medicine in 2010 and specializes in colorectal surgery, general surgery, and more.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Colon Surgeons & Rectal Surgeons in your area

• Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Dr. Schultzel accepts

Dr. Schultzel accepts the following insurance:

Amerihealth
Keystone Health Plan East
Keystone Health Plan East HMO
Medicare
Tricare

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Schultzel's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Schultzel treats Hemorrhoids more than 84% of his peers

Dr. Schultzel treats this condition more than 84% of his peers

Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
high

Dr. Schultzel performs Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure more than 82% of his peers

Dr. Schultzel performs this procedure more than 82% of his peers

• Diverticulitis
  • Diverticulitis, Intestinal
  • Diverticulosis
  • Enterocutaneous Fistula
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Rectal Tumor
  • Inguinal Hernia Surgery
  • Intestinal Abscess
  • Intestinal Fistula
  • Intestinal Obstruction
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Intussusception
  • Paralytic Ileus
  • Perianal Abscess
  • Perirectal Abscess
  • Polyps
  • Proctectomy, Open or Laparoscopic (incl. Swenson and Duhamel Procedures)
  • Prolapse Treatment
  • Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery
  • Sphincterotomy
  • Sporadic Colorectal Cancer
  • Therapeutic Colonoscopy
  • Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM)
  • Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM) for Rectal Tumors

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Schultzel

Dr. Schultzel?
Dr. Schultzel's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO
Dr. Schultzel did a wonderful job taking care of my hemorrhoids and getting me in for my colonoscopy. He used the rubber band ligation to fix my condition. He took care of all my problems. I am very pleased with the outcome and would highly recommended him.
May 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
I had both hernia mesh surgery and hemorrhoid bandings done with Dr. Schultzel. I was very pleased with both procedures. Dr. Schultzel is very knowledgeable and patient. The exams are quick and painless. If anybody has any problems with a hernia and hemorrhoids, like I did, Dr Schultzel is the doctor to go to. May 8, 2020
May 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
My first impression, this was a busy office, the staff seemed a bit overloaded, and booking an appointment was a bit of a challenge. Second impression, staff still busy, Dr. Schultzel is very professional and manages his time well. Most importantly, Dr. Schultzel had a plan, communicated it clearly and confidently, and then executed that exact plan exactly as described. Final impression after a colonscopy and two surgeries, staff overload problem resolve, new office suite is much improved, quality of care was excellent and all of my problems are effectively resolved, my body is returned to full service.
May 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel and his team are professional, friendly and extremely knowledgable. He performed an appendectomy after my appendix had ruptured. I felt confident that I was in the best hands pre and post op. He answered every question I had and put my mind at ease. I would recommend him to my family as I fully trust his surgical ability.
May 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel did a great job. All facilities were sparkling clean. Staff was helpful and always returned calls. Appts. were always on time. Most importantly laparoscopic robotic procedures (hernia) resulted in minimal discomfort and reasonably rapid recovery. Dr. Schultzel was friendly as well. I am glad I entrusted the procedure to his skills.
May 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT CARE! I am so fortunate to have found Dr. Schultzel. I was in a lot of pain for more than a year until Dr. Schultzel helped me. He explained everything and everything went and progressed as he said. A previous Dr. had misdiagnosed my problem. I was at my wits end. Once Dr. Schultzel performed the procedures the pain ended. My quality of life is back to being wonderfully normal again. THANK YOU DR SCHULTZEL AND THANK YOU TO YOUR STAFF!!
May 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel performed a hernia repair and did an excellent job. It turned out that what he was faced with once surgery began was more involved than initially thought. Even with the unusual circumstances, he was able to complete the surgery and provide wonderful results for me. It has made a huge difference in my daily life!! I highly recommend both him and his amazing staff members!!
Apr 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel and his team are absolutely amazing. They were very compassionate about an uncomfortable situation and over the course of a few months, the procedures Dr. Schultzel performed have completely changed my quality of day-to-day life, and I am so grateful for that.
Apr 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
I was referred to Dr. Schultzel for surgery after a colonoscopy. I am a patient who gets nervous about medical procedures. I was made to feel very comfortable from the first moment I met with him and his staff. I was encouraged by him and his wonderful staff to call if I had any questions (and I did) The hospital ( Sharp) staff was marvelous. Pain management after surgery was great. His is a very professional staff with great kindness and really on top of things. I have been in customer service for our insurance agency for many years and I have to say, well done! I mean the surgery nurse held my hand before I went under and the anesthesiologist and I were swapping cooking techniques. Thank you for your kindness.
Patricia A Reinhardt – Apr 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel had performed a gall bladder removal robotic surgery on me. It was my first surgery and I felt very confident on his skills and his attention to my followup visits. I can't wait for my next procedure for a hernia repair with the good doctor later this year.
Alex Goglanian - April, 2020 – Apr 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel performed a robotical hernia repair. Once inside, he found 6 different sites and repaired them all. Very little pain and no complications afterward. Great doctor and staff.
Ted – Apr 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel was very informative regarding my surgery. I felt very at ease and confident with him preforming the surgery . My recovery has taken long but all as expected by Dr and my treatment.
Cecilia – Apr 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
My experience was outstanding from start to finish. Dr. Schultzel took the time to explain everything to me very thoroughly, and he answered all of my and my wife's questions. Between my initial appointment and the surgery date, he and his staff provided me with very detail instructions, and they made themselves available should we have any questions that we may not have thought of during one of my appointments. My surgery (gall bladder removal) was done laparoscopically and I was able to go home the same day! Recovery was a breeze. After the surgery, the level of care never waned - Dr. Schultzel and his staff were very attentive. I can't think of any areas in which they could improve, and I highly recommend them for anyone who may need GI care.
David Garcia – Mar 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
What is a “good” doctor? After 30 years of chronic illness and meeting with at least 20 physicians, I can tell you what a good doctor is for me: 1. Well educated 2. Listens well 3. Responds to every question, and has pertinent questions of his/her own 4. If he/she can’t answer my question, he/she will say so and direct me to a person who can answer my question 5. And perhaps above all, communicates the desire to help, primarily through lack of the arrogance so prevalent in many American doctors. In other words a good doctor is one who doesn’t make you feel he/she is the most important person in the room. Dr.Matthew Schultzel is such a doctor. In my years as a patient of the American medical system he is the second doctor I’ve encountered who made me feel that he listened and he wanted to do whatever he could to help. By my definition he is a good doctor, and I feel grateful to be treated by him. Karen Reiter
Karen L Reiter – Mar 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel performed my Gall Bladder removal surgery. He was awesome! He explained everything really well and answered all my questions before the surgery. He is very caring and dedicated. He also did multiple follow ups to make sure I was back to great health after the surgery. The staff at his office are wonderful too! They helped me with everything and also answered questions patiently.
Sweta Swaroop – Feb 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel is a rare surgeon. He is definitely skilled in his field of abdominal and robotic surgery and has an excellent reputation....but he is also candid, honest, truly caring, and very accessible to the patient. A rare combination. My husband and I feel fortunate to have found him
Rebecca Jensen – Feb 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Schultzel is AMAZING! I had to have surgery last June to remove two very large painful internal hemorrhoids. Needless to say, everything that I had read and heard about hemorrhoid surgery was not pleasant! I'm not here to tell you anything different! It was a rough process, but Dr. Schultzel was very professional and honest. He helped me through the whole process, and I had no surprises along the way. I was still struggling with scar tissue seven months after the surgery, and Dr. Schultzel's receptionist, Emily, got me in to see him ASAP. He has been very patient with me, and has helped me get back to a normal lifestyle that I haven't experienced for 30+ years! It wasn't easy, but it was definitely worth it! Thank you Dr. Schultzel!
Tim S – Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
Dr. Matthew Schultzel is my hero! My initial appointment with Dr. Schultzel was to examine and discuss the removal of a sentinel tag as well as some additional concerns. I found him to be very patient, caring, sensitive and gentle. I immediately felt very comfortable in his care. Dr. Schultzel and his staff are always there to offer additional advice, answer my concerns and provide encouragement when I need it. He has most definitely become an important member of my “medical team”. I hold Dr. Matthew Schultzel in very high esteem. Thank you Dr. Schultzel, and to your staff as well, for making this a “positive experience” for me.
Arlene Kendall – Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
I had a recurrence of colon cancer and Dr. Schultzel was able to perform laparoscopic surgery to remove the cancerous growth. He is trained in the most advanced surgical techniques and the use of the robot was amazing. I was told by several of the nurses in the hospital many of the most complicated and difficult cases are referred to him because of his expertise with the robot. After I left the hospital a couple of days later I had some problems and I called Dr. Schultzel at 4 AM and he returned my call five minutes later and told me exactly what I needed to do to alleviate the problem. My experience in communicating with him is that he is a very good listener and takes a lot of pride in being able to explain things thoroughly. He also surrounds himself with good people and this is evidenced by his medical assistant Emily who handles scheduling and answers questions. I usually do not take the time to write reviews but in this case I am honored to do so .
Haynes L. Kendall Jr. – Feb 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?
I needed a triple hernia surgery (umbilical and bilateral inguinal) and was a little anxious about having it done. Dr. Schultzel was amazing from beginning to end and put my mind at ease. The surgery went better than I had expected and I was back to my normal self in no time. He takes great care of you with his included "concierge" style service well after the surgery too. I highly recommend Dr. Schultzel!
Mike K – Feb 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Schultzel, DO?

How was your experience with Dr. Schultzel?

Expert care, Compassion, and Great communication.  Using the newest and most up to date technology and surgical techniques to achieve superior success.

• Colorectal Surgery