Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD

Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD

Orthopedic Surgery •  Male • Age 43

Telehealth services available

Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Glenview, IL. Dr. Saltzman has more experience with Shoulder/Upper Arm and Elbow than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Saltzman to book an appointment.

Northwestern Medical Group

Dr. Saltzman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Saltzman

3.4

Dr. Saltzman?
Dr. Saltzman only spent about 5 minutes with me in my appointment. As soon as he realized that my issue didn't require surgery, he didn't seem to have much interest in my case. He recommended a PT but couldn't even provide a specific recommendation. I have since gone to another orthopedist who spent more time assessing my situation, provided some minimal treatment, and provided a detailed and thoughtful action plan in regard to PT. Dr. Saltzman came highly recommended to me, and he's probably a very competent surgeon just wasn't a good fit for my non-surgical needs.
Apr 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Arrogant, of course he is, he's a surgeon, condescending, check, caring, nope.  Went in to get looked at by Saltzman and he said the same thing many others wrote, gave me a prescription and told me to do P.T.  After six months of P.T. and being at his office two times during that time period, I finally told him to stop screwing around and give me an MRI.  Low and behold, what he told me was impossible turned out to be the case, a full ligament tear.  Great so I had been suffering in pain, doing P.T. for six months for no good reason at all.  Thanks.  Had surgery and due to complications and his gross negligence, I am now maimed for life.  I've battled depression, dealt with pain and lack of full functionality because of his negligence.  I highly recommend finding someone else.  Aside from being a jerk, he doesn't care for his patients, he just wants the money.  Boy how I wish I could turn back the hands of time!
Permanent damage – Feb 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Dr. Saltzman did a reverse shoulder replacement on my 72 year old left shoulder on May 1, 2019. He did a wonderful job. If he is arrogant, which I did not find in several visits to him, it is because he is just the best. A little over three months later I have almost full use of this arm/shoulder with no pain which was terrible before. I highly recommend Dr. Saltzman.
D. Fram – Aug 14, 2019
The Best!!!
James McArthur in Chicago, IL – Jun 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Arrogant, aloof, condescending, hurried, discourteous, supercilious are some of the more acceptable words which pop into my head when I hear Dr. Saltzman's name. I went from a bad situation to ten times worse thanks to his carelessness. I suffered physically and still do as well as mentally after mistakes he made and he didn't even do as much as apologize. Go somewhere else if you need surgery or risk having your arm and life significantly damaged by this man.
Chicago, IL – Jun 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Very arrogant, doesn't listen to patient concerns or needs, makes up his mind on what he wants the patient to do which in my case was just PT, but I have another surgeon and physiatrist that have already diagnosed me with torn rotator cuff and nerve palsy with winged scapula and they know I need 2 surgeries to fix my problems. He was terrible with his diagnosis and PT would hurt my shoulder worse than it is already. Did PT already and the therapist stopped my therapy because he felt it was dangerous to continue since it could cause more damage and was extremely painful for me. He didn't look at previous reports or MRI images and couldn't get my appointment over with fast enough to exit the room, leaving me in pain with no hope for repair and stuck with the original surgeon who I was looking to replace. Useless, arrogant, condescending, non patient centered care.
Majorely Disappointed in Chicago, IL – May 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
As others have said Dr. Saltzman is very arrogant and has a condescending attitude. He spent 5 mins with me bragging about how much he loves to do surgery and my case wasn’t a surgery case and he referred me to PT. My neurologist had also referred me for nerve compression in my elbows and he refused to even take xrays of my elbows again just recommending PT. He told me I can go get a second opinion but they are going to say the same thing. Well I did go get a second opinion at Midwest Orthopedic’s at Rush which is #4 in the country well above Northwestern and none of the doctors agreed with Dr Saltzman assement. In fact i have seen 4 doctors there because my shoulder injury is so bad and rare and was referred to one of the orthopedic trauma surgeon’s for the White Sox’s to try and fix my shoulder. I would never ever recommend him to anyone. He missed the mark big time and all the doctors at Rush agreed I needed to have surgery and that PT would just do more damage. NW has declined.
Apr 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Dr Saltzman performed a total shoulder arthroplasty on my right shoulder in 06/2010. That same year, I was back to biking and skiing. Nearly 9 years later and at 83 years of age, I am still riding my bike and skiing. Having experienced such good results from his care, I wholeheartedly recommend Dr.
Bill in Chicago, IL – Apr 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
As other reviews have mentioned, he was in and out of our visit in 5 minutes, but in those 5 minutes he was able to correctly diagnose what other doctors could not. After his recommended conservative treatment failed he performed surgery, and I just had my first pain free day in over a year. He also mentioned he consults with the Chicago Cubs, so I figured my shoulder would be safe with him.
Daniel in Chicago, IL – Feb 28, 2019
Great bedside manner.
Maria in Chicago, IL – Oct 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
I would not, recommend this doctor to anyone his overall demeanor was arrogant and condescending. During the visit he seem to be in a rush and his only option was medication and therapy and as a surgeon I would have expected a more informative consult.
IL – Oct 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Very efficient and personable. Offered conservative treatment with option to return for advanced therapy if/as necessary
catmandoodle in Chicago, IA – Jul 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
My advice is to avoid Dr. Saltzman at all costs. I was referred to him for a surgical consult after more than a year of conservative treatment had failed. During my visit, I saw him for about 30 seconds, then he told me I needed to get a nerve test. After I got those results back, his office told me that my only options were PT and NSAIDs, both of which had failed. It wasn't clear he had even looked at my records or history before dismissing me. I filed a complaint with NM Hospital. STAY AWAY!
Evanston – Jan 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
In-and-out, I felt like in an assembly line, but he did manage to invite me to the next appt in the 5 mins he spent with me in the room.
Bartlett, IL – Jun 14, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Dr. Saltzman was one of the three surgeons I consulted for repair of my rotator cuff. IF you"re looking for a surgeon who can repair difficult/complex shoulder injuries, he is your surgeon. He was confident, skillful and caring. I was a little apprehensive when I read two of his reviews, but I'm not sure they were talking about the doctor I met and who performed my surgery. He was great!
Chicago, IL – Apr 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
When in I went to Dr Saltzman for reverse shoulder replacement, I wasn't even sure that I should have the surgery, given that it is my dominant arm and that i have severe lymphodema in that arm. I had already had 2 failed rotator cuff surgeries on that arm and was left with extreme pain and hardly any movements. He talked me into the surgery. About 10 months later, here I am with no pain and almost as much extension as I have ever had for the past 35 years. I cannot recommend him enough!
Marian Goldberg in Boynton Beach, FL – Feb 22, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Dr. Saltzman did a shoulder repair for me and was very easy to work with. He explained everything to my wife and I about the procedure and was very helpful with answering any questions or concerns that either of us had. He is very personable, takes his time with you and never rushes you in and out of an appointment.
James C. in Niles, IL – Feb 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
I just had my second appointment with Dr. Saltzman today. I am stuburn, but after talking with him, I decided to allow him to perform surgery on my shoulder in a month. I have avoided this for years, and have seen other doctors. He surrounds himself with great staff, and Dr. Saltzman has spent more than enough time talking with me about options. This makes me feel comfortable, which allows me to make the best decision under his guidance. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am confident in him.
Patrick Jones in Chicago, IL – Feb 01, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
I am surprised about some of the reviews which don't give him great marks. I am in my late 60s and a fall this year resulted in three major tears to my rotator cuff. He was recommended by my GP. I found Dr. Saltzman to be very professional on all levels as regards diagnosis, treatment, surgery, post surgery explanations, and post operative visits and advice. Four months after surgery and my mobility is almost what it was before. I would recommend him to anyone.
Chicago, IL – Dec 03, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?
Dr Saltzman did my surgery 2 weeks ago. He may be a good surgeon, but he has no care or concern for a patient after the surgery is over. On top of his arrogant and condescending attitude, he could care less if he manages the patients pain or suffering. I had a severe reaction to his pain meds and he did nothing to try a different drug on me. I was in agony in the hospital for a day and was completely ignored by him. I would not recommend him to anyone. His comment was, lets just move forward.
Chicago, IL – Aug 02, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Saltzman, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Saltzman?

Dr. Saltzman accepts

Dr. Saltzman accepts the following insurance:

Aetna POS
UniCare PPO
Choice
Choice Plus
Select HMO

No malpractice claims found for Illinois

Shoulder/Upper Arm

Shoulder and upper arm conditions include arthritis, bursitis, rotator cuff injuries, and dislocations, with treatment options such as surgery or physical therapy.Compare with other Shoulder/Upper Arm specialists.

Typically treats 69% more than their peers

Rotator Cuff Surgery

Dr. Saltzman performs Rotator Cuff Surgery more than 99% of their peers

Dr. Saltzman performs this procedure more than 99% of their peers

Elbow

Elbow surgeons perform proceduras including arthroscopy, replacement, resurfacing, or tendon repair to treat conditions affecting the elbow, such as arthritis, dislocations, and hyperextension.Compare with other Elbow specialists.

Typically treats 55% more than their peers

Dr. Saltzman treats this condition more than 76% of their peers

Elbow Sprain

Dr. Saltzman treats Elbow Sprain more than 49% of their peers

Dr. Saltzman treats this condition more than 49% of their peers

Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)

Dr. Saltzman treats Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow) more than 41% of their peers

Dr. Saltzman treats this condition more than 41% of their peers

• Elbow Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Elbow Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment, Open
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Elbow Tenotomy
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Humerus
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lupus
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Spondylosis
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Systemic Sclerosis

"Better people means better experiences. Our care team is committed to delivering results that change lives."

2009