Dr. Matthew Neal, MD

Dr. Matthew Neal, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 38

Telehealth services available

Dr. Matthew Neal, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ. He is affiliated with Mayo Clinic Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Neal to book an appointment.

Mayo Clinic - Arizona

Visit Website
Scottsdale13400 E Shea Blvd Scottsdale, AZ 85259

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Neal is affiliated with Mayo Clinic Hospital Phoenix, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Mayo Clinic - Arizona

Dr. Neal's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Neal

Dr. Neal?
  • Explained conditions well (61)
  • Listened & answered questions (61)
  • Office environment (61)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (3)
  • Long wait times (3)
  • Appointment was rushed (2)
Yes , very professional, explained procedures of my back surgery , made me feel I was in good hands.
Patsy Beasley – Feb 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I am a California resident who suffered with back pain for years. I would wake up after two hours of sleep in excruciating pain. After years of physical therapy and surgical consultations I was told that my case was 'too complex' to be accepted for surgery. It was recommended to me that I visit the Mayo Clinic (The facility in Phoenix the closest to me) which was at minimum a four hour drive. I initially consulted with Dr Neal via the internet and upon his recommendation went for a physical consultation. After testing Dr Matthew accepted me for surgery. I had surgery on December 18, 2020 and, today, February 25, 2021 I am pain free. I highly recommend Dr Neal. He obviously is highly skilled and very pleasant professional as is his staff. The Mayo Clinic is THE place to go for medical attention when one is not satisfied. Thank you, Dr Neal and staff
Benson D. Evans, PhD – Feb 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I was referred to Dr. NEAL in 2019 & subsequently my back condition required surgery which was successful. He approaches his patients with an attitude that always requires the dialogue flow is two ways -- you must participate with him. All of the exams & testing were detailed & his demeanor is conservative & realistic both pre & post surgery. My age, (now 81 y/o), & spine conditions require periodic evaluation which are handled in a realistic, conservative way. I highly recommend Dr. NEAL & his team to anyone with back concerns. He is a fine medical professional & surgeon. Larry E. OSBORN -
Larry Osborn – Jan 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Neal! I had a spine fusion in May. I was apprehensive at the idea of back surgery, but everything went well. I had outpatient surgery and was in the hospital a little over 24 hours. I then went home. The meds I was give were sufficient for the pain I was experiencing and since I was not experiencing much pain I was off them by week 2. I was able to drive by week three. The incisions on both sides of my spine are about 2" long and I couldn't believe Dr. Neal did so much in my back with such little incisions. I just had my 6 month check up and everything is still going well. During the last six months my form of exercise was walking which I continue to do for 1 hour each day. The walking helped me be more limber, improved my range of motion and I also lost some weight along the way. Before surgery my sciatic nerve had so much pain, I was limping, and I could only tackle one activity a day. Now I am in excellent shape!
Barbara H. – Dec 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I got a referral to Dr. Neal from a friend that had him perform an operation earlier. My experience was excellent with Dr. Neal and the whole Mayo team, highly recommended.
Nov 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr Neal was referred to me by a friend. I contacted him for a second opinion for back surgery - fusion and laminectomy. I chose to go with Dr Neal and am so glad I did. I was in pain 24 hours a day. After the surgery I was completely pain free and still am to this day. His communication was excellent and surgical skills were superior! I wouldn't hesitate to refer him to anyone.
Oct 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I do not recommend this doctor!
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Sr – Oct 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Neal did a great job on my S1-L5 fusion. Once I woke up from surgery I knew the surgery was a success. I never experienced pain again. I am so happy with the results.
Luis Paredes – Sep 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I met Dr. Neal after contacting the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion on cervical spine issues. He was thorough and answered all of my questions. After seeing what the Mayo Clinic and Dr Neal had to offer, I decided to have the team do the surgery for me. I was obviously nervous since the surgery involved most of the cervical area but Dr Neal explain to me the limitations and what to expect. After my surgical procedure, the hospital stay was uneventful. It is now 4 months post surgery and I have no more pain and now have the feeling back in my arm. Thank you Dr Neal. You and your staff did a wonderful job. I would highly recommend you to anyone.
Steve L. – Sep 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Over the last couple of years, my back pain(severe stenosis) increased in severity to the point of affecting my quality of life and knew it was time to get a professional opinion. After extensive research I decided Dr. Neal would be my choice for the following reasons: Young enough but experienced and skilled in all new procedures, one of his specialties is Stenosis and reviews were excellent. My two consultations with Dr. Neal were informative, simple to understand and he proved to be a consummate professional, and surgery was scheduled. Also, the compassion and care I received from his wonderful team were exemplary. The day after surgery virtually all my leg pain had dissipated and was positive about my recovery. It is now 5 mths since surgery and I have most of the life I knew back. So my faith in Dr. Neal and his Mayo Clinic team has proven to be one of the best and correct decisions I have made in my life. A BIG thanks go out to Dr. Neal for making this possible.
Howard Greek – Jul 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I was in severe pain when I went to see Dr. Neal. I live out of state but went to see him at Mayo Clinic; he was so great. He went over my tests and let me know what would work best for me. I had surgery and was pain free immediately. I am now back to playing golf. He is my hero!
Larren – May 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Neal is caring and a good listener. He performed lower back surgery for me and I am now pain free and resuming activities I haven't been able to do for years. My treatment by Dr. Neal and his staff was extremely professional and I would highly recommend him to anyone needing help for back pain. I feel like I've been given a second chance in life!
Sherry L. Beach – Mar 19, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I met Dr. Neal after my neurologist found a tumor that flattened my spine severely which was causing an inability to walk among other things. MRI was done on a Monday with results given on Tuesday. Dr. Neal asked me to come in on Wednesday, but I live far away so I could not be there until Friday. The following Monday I was in surgery. The next Friday I went home. Within 1 yr. all function was restored. Dr. Neal took much time with me throughout the surgery and post-op care, carefully answering all my questions and guiding my recovery. He continues to follow some issues with my neck. I would not want anyone but him to operate on my back, neck or spine. He is an excellent surgeon with a team that matches his expertise. He is very personable, caring, professional and quick to act in emergent situations. Thank you Dr. Neal!
R. Grimes – Feb 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I came in through the ER after another facility had done a unsuccessful brain procedure, we were unsure of my status or potential recovery. After meeting with Dr Neal and his team we felt very reassured and confident in the plan and upcoming surgeries. I really appreciated Dr Neals thorough explanation which put us at ease. The communication was excellent, including the doctor answering question from my friends. The final result was 100% recovery and back functioning in society! Mayo is the best.
PAUL J BLOOMBERG – Feb 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I was of course apprehensive about having back surgery. All my friends said not to have it. Made an appointment with Dr. Neal, and had an MRI done prior to the appointment. I had also over the prior two years tried various ways to relieve the lower back pain such as Tens, Chiropractors, and Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections. Advil was taken daily. Met with Dr. Neal to review the MRI and his recommendations. The MRI revealed that L4-L5 had come together and closed the normal spinal column space down to zero. The nerve pain was not going away without fusing the two vertebrae and adding a spacer. None of the other things I had done were every going to work. Surgery was scheduled. Never having major surgery before I felt comfortable I made the right choice in Dr. Neal and his team. I was right. The experience was beyond my expectations at Mayo Clinic. Dr. Neal assembled the best team and the surgery went off without a hitch. Woke up with zero nerve pain. Golf is waiting for me.
Robert S Rock – Jan 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I went to Dr Neal for a second opinion and decided to go forward with my two level surgery with him. Before and after my surgery Dr Neal was very patient while I asked many questions, sometimes repeating my questions because I was so overwhelmed by my medical situation. He answered all questions and his team (Hilda) was also extremely supportive when I had follow up questions after my visits. I am extremely satisfied that I went to Dr Neal at the Mayo Clinic and had my procedure done by him there. I have a new outlook on my life after my surgery. I no longer live with daily pain from degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and a grade I spondolythesis. He addressed this for me and I can walk for hours now without pain. While I attribute a lot to my own determination to improve my situation, there is no way I would be in this better place without Dr Neal's specialized, expert surgical skills. I had to travel from out of state to make this happen and it was well worth it.
Jan 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
You have to have "your guy"! I met Dr. Neal somewhat by chance, but my call to Mayo Clinic Phoenix was deliberate. My first visit was 48 hours after my first call. Dr. Neal became "my guy." That first appointment and all subsequent visits were on time. Within 24 hours, I had three pre-operative tests, MRI, bone density and CT scan, all within Mayo Clinic. Within a week, my surgery was scheduled within 30 days. It is true, when surgery is as successful as mine was, that you wake up in recovery knowing that the pain of 35 years is gone. I now refer to Dr. Neal as "Dr. Painless". My entire experience with Dr. Neal and Mayo Clinic has been phenomenal. It's hard to believe that every visit during the past year has been on time and everyone has been totally professional. Makes you wonder about the rest of the industry. I don't want any further surgeries, but I'd go back to Dr. Neal and Mayo Clinic in at heart beat.
Buzz Weatherly – Nov 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Over a 10 year period, my lumbar stenosis went from painful to excruciatingly painful with tingling and numbness in my feet. Walking 40 ft would bring it on. Dr. Neal fused the 3rd,4th and 5th lumbar bones and I found myself walking the hall on the day after the operation with no pain! What an amazing experience! I got my life back! I am so very grateful to Dr. Neal who made each step easy for me. His manner is professional and caring. He answers every question or concern and provides easy to understand explanations. He helped me to be confident in my decision to have this operation. My guardian angel got me to the right doctor! Hilda and the rest of the staff who worked with me were outstanding also. I am grateful to them all!
Joan Longobardi – Nov 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Neal got me walking again! I was not able to walk 50 feet, pre surgery and in severe pain. Dr. Neal was a second opinion and recommended a less invasive procedure, which was an outpatient procedure. I was so glad I saw him as the procedure was easier and had a faster recovery time. Dr. Neal was patient with me when I was deciding and understanding the procedure. His explanation of the procedure was very detailed and his expertise was extremely consoling. He was also very flexible when scheduling my procedure. My pain for some unknown reason disappeared and I canceled the surgery. Then it returned 10 days later and I rescheduled. He demonstrated an excellent "bedside manner", compassion and understanding. Dr. Neal is a gem! I'm back to hiking, biking and traveling again, back to normal, after very serious pain and lack of mobility, which I never experienced in my life. Thanks to Hilda, his nurse, for her patience, fielding multiple emails with concerns and questions.
Edward – Oct 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
My diagnosis was severe spinal stenosis. I had pain across my rear and down my legs to the extent I was unable to walk more than a few feet bent over practically double. At my first meeting with Dr. Neal he explained, showing me the MRI images, what the condition was and what could be done. We agreed on an operation plan and scheduled surgery. He performed an L4 laminectomy. Post op, the same day I was able to walk several hundred yards, pain free, to a restaurant dinner. Three weeks on, I continue to improve. From the front door to the wheelchair ride to curbside after the procedure, I cannot say enough about the quality of care provided by everyone at Mayo, Dr. Neal, his staff and the entire crew at the hospital go well beyond ordinary in both care and competence.
R. Wilkinson – Oct 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Neal?

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Arizona

Check Dr. Neal's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Neal's Top Procedures and Conditions

Aneurysm

Astrocytoma

Bone Cancer

Bone Disorders

Brain Abscess

(480) 702-3862Find providers who treat this condition

Brain and Nervous System Cancer (incl. Gliomas, Astrocytoma, Schwannoma, Medulloblastoma, Chordoma)

Brain Cancer

Cerebral Artery Thrombosis

Cerebral Hemorrhage

Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
may perform
Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)

Cervical Spine Myelopathy

• Chiari Malformation, Pediatric
Chordoma

Craniectomy

Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy

Dr. Neal performs Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy more than 72% of his peers

Dr. Neal performs this procedure more than 72% of his peers

Hydrocephalus

Intervertebral Disc Disease

Dr. Neal treats Intervertebral Disc Disease more than 85% of his peers

Dr. Neal treats this condition more than 85% of his peers

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)

Dr. Neal performs Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy) more than 97% of his peers

Dr. Neal performs this procedure more than 97% of his peers

Dr. Neal treats this condition more than 88% of his peers

• Autoimmune Myelopathy
Nerve Block, Somatic

(480) 702-3862Find providers who perform this procedure

Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)

Neuroplasty

Polyneuropathy

Post-Laminectomy Syndrome

Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma

(480) 702-3862Find providers who treat this condition

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Neal treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 97% of his peers

Dr. Neal treats this condition more than 97% of his peers

• Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Chiari Malformation Type 1
  • Epilepsy
  • Extradural Hemorrhage
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoplasty
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Medulloblastoma
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Dr. Neal accepts

Dr. Neal accepts the following insurance:

Aetna Savings Plus of AZ