Dr. Matthew Neal, MD

Dr. Matthew Neal, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 40

Neurosurgery

Dr. Matthew Neal, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ. He is affiliated with medical facilities Mayo Clinic Hospital  and Mayo Clinic Hospital, Phoenix, Arizona. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Mayo Clinic - Arizona

Scottsdale - Neurology13400 E Shea Blvd Scottsdale, AZ 85259

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Neal is affiliated with Mayo Clinic Hospital  Jacksonville, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Mayo

Dr. Neal's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Neal

Dr. Neal

Skilled Surgeon
Dr. Neal is an experienced, talented, knowledgeable surgeon who is down to earth and cares for his patients and their families. My husband’s neck issues required extensive surgical repair at 3 separate disc levels. Dr. Neal performed discectomies and fusions, repaired a spinal fluid leak and placed a rod. We were treated with great care and respect. Dr. Neal and his team were warm, professional and made sure we had everything in place after discharge. We were blessed to have this provider care for my husband.
Pamela W – Apr 03, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Excellent doctor and staff!!!
Mar 16, 2022
Lumber Fusion surgery
Dr Neil, Is incredibly patient and clear in describing the results of tests, his examination and his diagnosis. He provided several options and treatments he recommended prior to surgery. Once surgery was determined to be the only viable option and solution for my lower back, he ordered more tests and we had two very thorough video conferences where he spent a lot of time describing in detail the surgery he felt was best for my needs. He patiently answered all of my questions. All of the pre surgery gave me complete confidence in Dr Neil and the outcome of the surgery. I’m am delighted with the recovery and outcome of the surgical procedure. I am recovering with minimal pain. My pain level is a fraction of what it has been for well over five prior to the surgery. I am off of all pain meds five days after surgery. My stability and balance after surgery is already much improved and it’s only two weeks since the surgery.
Mark Howard – Mar 06, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Neal performed an L5-S1 Fusion. It is amazing that this surgery can be done. The entire process and surgery were communicated very well. I highly recommend Dr. Neal and his team.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
Steve Bolduc – Jan 23, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Neal did my spinal fusion. He is very knowledgeable and caring about his patients. He did an exhalent job. He makes sure that his patients get the best care. Mayo and Dr. Neal are the greatest!
Marian – Nov 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Matthew Neal is a highly talented and particularly competent neurosurgeon. He is an excellent communicator, with an apparent strong work ethic. He routinely partners with other doctors whenever necessary. He is associated with the Mayo Clinic here in Phoenix, AZ. (crossroads 101 & 56th St.) Dr. Neal operated on my neck on June 28, 2021. My operation consisted of: Cervical 2 through cervical 6 posterior cervical fusion with Cervical 2 through cervical 4 laminectomies. He had advised me exactly what he was going to do prior to surgery. There were no surprises. The results were excellent, and I can now sleep at night. I will always be grateful to this amazing neurosurgeon. If you need a similar operation such as I had or just need to get an understanding of what is going on with your own neck, I wholeheartedly recommend that you seek out the services of Dr. Mathew Neil. If your lucky enough to obtain an opportunity to get Dr. Neil for your doctor, Go For It. He is the BEST!
W Ed Wilson – Jul 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Total professional, made all options completely clear. And helped making my decision easy and correct. 100% satisfied
Tim Craghan – May 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Neal is very efficient, saw him twice via teleconference for lower back issues. He was thorough and provided a good procedure that has helped tremendously.
DZ – May 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Two visits (both video appointments) for lower back pain. Dr. Neal was efficient, thorough and provided cogent explanations of possible issues. After an MRI and X-rays, the followup appointment had Dr. Neal making a recommendation for a TEFSI, which succeeded in relieving almost all pain.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
May 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Unlike the first neurosurgeon I saw, Dr. Neal listened to me and took the time to explain the procedure he recommended. He was at once professional and compassionate. The procedure we decided upon involved minimally invasive surgery. I am now 3 weeks after surgery, and the pinched-nerve pain I was experiencing is 95% gone, and the healing from the small incision is coming along nicely. I am pleased with the results of my procedure, and would recommend Dr. Neal and the Mayo Clinic to anyone.
Kent – Mar 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Yes , very professional, explained procedures of my back surgery , made me feel I was in good hands.
Patsy Beasley – Feb 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I am a California resident who suffered with back pain for years. I would wake up after two hours of sleep in excruciating pain. After years of physical therapy and surgical consultations I was told that my case was 'too complex' to be accepted for surgery. It was recommended to me that I visit the Mayo Clinic (The facility in Phoenix the closest to me) which was at minimum a four hour drive. I initially consulted with Dr Neal via the internet and upon his recommendation went for a physical consultation. After testing Dr Matthew accepted me for surgery. I had surgery on December 18, 2020 and, today, February 25, 2021 I am pain free. I highly recommend Dr Neal. He obviously is highly skilled and very pleasant professional as is his staff. The Mayo Clinic is THE place to go for medical attention when one is not satisfied. Thank you, Dr Neal and staff
Benson D. Evans, PhD – Feb 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I was referred to Dr. NEAL in 2019 & subsequently my back condition required surgery which was successful. He approaches his patients with an attitude that always requires the dialogue flow is two ways -- you must participate with him. All of the exams & testing were detailed & his demeanor is conservative & realistic both pre & post surgery. My age, (now 81 y/o), & spine conditions require periodic evaluation which are handled in a realistic, conservative way. I highly recommend Dr. NEAL & his team to anyone with back concerns. He is a fine medical professional & surgeon. Larry E. OSBORN -
Larry Osborn – Jan 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Neal! I had a spine fusion in May. I was apprehensive at the idea of back surgery, but everything went well. I had outpatient surgery and was in the hospital a little over 24 hours. I then went home. The meds I was give were sufficient for the pain I was experiencing and since I was not experiencing much pain I was off them by week 2. I was able to drive by week three. The incisions on both sides of my spine are about 2" long and I couldn't believe Dr. Neal did so much in my back with such little incisions. I just had my 6 month check up and everything is still going well. During the last six months my form of exercise was walking which I continue to do for 1 hour each day. The walking helped me be more limber, improved my range of motion and I also lost some weight along the way. Before surgery my sciatic nerve had so much pain, I was limping, and I could only tackle one activity a day. Now I am in excellent shape!
Barbara H. – Dec 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I got a referral to Dr. Neal from a friend that had him perform an operation earlier. My experience was excellent with Dr. Neal and the whole Mayo team, highly recommended.
Nov 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr Neal was referred to me by a friend. I contacted him for a second opinion for back surgery - fusion and laminectomy. I chose to go with Dr Neal and am so glad I did. I was in pain 24 hours a day. After the surgery I was completely pain free and still am to this day. His communication was excellent and surgical skills were superior! I wouldn't hesitate to refer him to anyone.
Oct 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I do not recommend this doctor!
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Sr – Oct 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Dr. Neal did a great job on my S1-L5 fusion. Once I woke up from surgery I knew the surgery was a success. I never experienced pain again. I am so happy with the results.
Luis Paredes – Sep 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
I met Dr. Neal after contacting the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion on cervical spine issues. He was thorough and answered all of my questions. After seeing what the Mayo Clinic and Dr Neal had to offer, I decided to have the team do the surgery for me. I was obviously nervous since the surgery involved most of the cervical area but Dr Neal explain to me the limitations and what to expect. After my surgical procedure, the hospital stay was uneventful. It is now 4 months post surgery and I have no more pain and now have the feeling back in my arm. Thank you Dr Neal. You and your staff did a wonderful job. I would highly recommend you to anyone.
Steve L. – Sep 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?
Over the last couple of years, my back pain(severe stenosis) increased in severity to the point of affecting my quality of life and knew it was time to get a professional opinion. After extensive research I decided Dr. Neal would be my choice for the following reasons: Young enough but experienced and skilled in all new procedures, one of his specialties is Stenosis and reviews were excellent. My two consultations with Dr. Neal were informative, simple to understand and he proved to be a consummate professional, and surgery was scheduled. Also, the compassion and care I received from his wonderful team were exemplary. The day after surgery virtually all my leg pain had dissipated and was positive about my recovery. It is now 5 mths since surgery and I have most of the life I knew back. So my faith in Dr. Neal and his Mayo Clinic team has proven to be one of the best and correct decisions I have made in my life. A BIG thanks go out to Dr. Neal for making this possible.
Howard Greek – Jul 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Neal, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Neal?