Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 46

Dr. McGirt

Carolina Neurosurgry/Spn Assocs

225 Baldwin Ave Charlotte, NC 28204

Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Charlotte, NC. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center and Atrium Health University City. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. McGirt to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. McGirt is affiliated with Atrium Health University City Charlotte, a highly rated hospital.

• Friendly Staff
    Patients said the staff was friendly. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital

Dr. McGirt performs this procedure more than 99% of his peers

Low Back Pain

Dr. McGirt treats Low Back Pain more than 97% of his peers

Dr. McGirt treats this condition more than 97% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. McGirt treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 95% of his peers

Dr. McGirt treats this condition more than 95% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care

Dr. McGirt's conditions and procedures:

• Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization

Dr. McGirt accepts

Dr. McGirt accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

Dr. McGirt's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. McGirt

4.0

Dr. McGirt

Very honest doctor, would highly recommend to anyone who has issues with their spine. I thought my next step was surgery, but Dr. McGirt recommended other viable options.
CTS – Jan 13, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I had extreme pain in back and right hip. DR. McGirt looked at my MRI and determined I had a pinched nerve at the L5 lumbar. He was able to show me the problem and explain the procedure to relieve the pain. Waking up from the surgery I had no pain at all. Have not used a pain med since that time. Need a good back Dr? He is the man.
Pain GONE! – Dec 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
From first initial visit, to surgery, and post op. Exceptional job could not be more pleased with my experience and the knowledge of the physician.
Jerry B. – Jun 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr. McGirt performed a double lumbar fusion S1-L5-L4. TLIF last August 20, 2020. I was fully released today after my final post-op. I had attempted two microdiscectomies to avoid major surgery but to no relief. I had suffered for a few years with severe left-side sciatic pain after walking only 100 yards or so. Dr. McGirt was straight-forward when he explained the surgery and what to expect. I had hoped that the surgery could be done minimally invasive, but he said I he needed to do a more traditional surgery and expect a six-inch scar, some pain and a few challenging days. I was concerned going in to the surgery about what I would experience for the first few days and while they were were intense, the hospital kept me comfortable. I am very pleased that Dr. McGirt made the right call. My back is pain-free and it well worth the discomfort after surgery. Today I am playing a little golf and have been walking two miles per day for 6 or more months. I am pleased with results
Rick Blume – Jun 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Honest and to the point. Execllent infromation on the porblem and what was needed to fixit
Apr 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr. Matthew McGirt was my surgeon for recent spinal surgery at the Charlotte clinic. His assistants and staff were always very polite and professional both before and after my procedure. Both Dr. McGirt and staff kept me well informed as to what to expect and how to deal with any issues that arise. Dr. McGirt spent considerable time explaining the surgical procedures to me and answered all my questions both before and after surgery. Their follow up after surgery was very thorough and his clinic responds quickly to my inquiries. My surgery was very successful. I am 72 years old and am now almost completely without any neck and shoulder pain! I have no complaints as Dr. McGirt delivered as promised. I appreciate the time and effort he and his staff took with my issues and I look forward to my final follow up visits. It is always a good feeling when you have confidence in your doctor and I have no hesitation at all now in resuming my normal activities.
Tim Hawkins – Mar 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Stellar in his field and unquestionably a fantastic neurosurgeon who is capable of handling complex conditions! Would highly recommend!
Elizabeth Shelton – Jan 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr McGirt is highly experienced, and extremely well educated and trained. I had a two level TlLF Lumbar bone fusion L4/L5 and L5/ S1. Going in, I had constant severe pain for 10 years on the right side radiating down into my sacrum all the way to my anterior shin. On the left side I had worsening burning pain into my Glutes (buttocks) all the way down to my lateral foot for a year. The first week post-op is painful, I used a walker, but by Day 10, I was off the opioids and walking around the block with a cane. Now, 1 month out post-op and my left side is 100% as is the pain on the right going into the sacrum. For only one month out, the outcome is already better than I could have ever imagined. Dr Mcgirt is friendly, as is his Physcian Assistant, Johnathan Lake. It is important for patients to ask questions, and they both will gladly answer them. The Administrative Assistant , Christy is very helpful with scheduling and coordinating with the insurance and finance people..
Richard Engelmann – Dec 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
One of the best surgical procedures I have had. Would highly recommend if need surgery to solve your back pains. Severe pain and weakness in both legs and determined to be caused by Stenois in the L3, L4, L5, and S1. The surgery performed was a Laminectomy on each of the disks. Surgery took about 3 hours from start to finish. Immediately after surgery the pain in both legs were gone. It took about 10 more days to have the back soreness at the incision site to go away. 30 days after surgery ready for PT and expectations is to be back to full functionality within 6 months. Which means back officiating on the lacrosse field and playing golf. Both things I could no longer do with the leg pain I had.
Mike C. – Oct 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr. Mcgirt completed a laminectomy for severe sciatica. He got me into the surgical schedule early and the operation was a complete success. I am so grateful to this man for giving me my life back. A great Doctor!
Jan 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I am a father of two and woke up one morning and pet the family dog in the bed. I started to feel a cramp like pain in my arm. I did not pay it any attention and kept on getting up and ready for the day. My youngest came in and started to play around with me; so I picked them up and placed her on the bed to tickle them. After placing on the bed I immediately I cramp like pain in my arm became a sharp pain running down my arm. I flopped of the bed and onto the floor as the pain became so intense I could not move my arm. My wife checked on me and I had her pull on my arm still thinking it was a major cramp in my arm. As the day progressed the pain did not subside at all. My wife took me to the primary doctor and they took my blood pressure and X-rays of my shoulder as the pain seamed to be coming from there. Blood pressure was normal and the x-ray only showed some normal arthritis. My doctor put me on some pain killers and muscle relaxers. I waited a week and nothing was getting better
ACDF Level 1 / 41 male – Jun 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I recently had spinal fusion done by Dr.McGirt and I am very pleased. He was able to give me a “new life” and I can not thank him enough. I was in such pain for a long time and now I am pain free. It has been about one month since my operation. Dr.McGirt was very nice and informed me about my surgery and was able to correct my problem. His staff was wonderful too and they made this experience very rewarding.
Holly Borges in Sherrills Ford, NC – Feb 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Great experience. Glad I chose him. Results have been outstanding. Would recommend him for anyone needing relief from sever stenosis of the spine. He explained the procedure and what to expect afterwards . Which gave me confidence.
Ted in Hickory, NC – Feb 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
His profile states he has been practicing for 16 years. I have been dealing with DDD for 30 years. After 3 lower back surgeries and fusions & hardware from C4 thru C7 I would appreciate a doctor that has time to answer questions. Please don't walk out of the room. I normally would have seen Dr Van Der Veer unfortunately for me he is on medical leave until August. On paper he appears great, I was not impressed!
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Virginia – May 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr. McGirt is a great doctor. I know that he cares about his patients. I had lower lumbar surgery in November 2017. I do feel 99 percent better. The morning of my surgery Dr McGirt called me personally at the hospital letting me know he wTould be there to perform the surgery. He had been out of time but on his way back. He let me know that his assistant Dr Corbin and others would take good care of me. I knew then that as his patient he does care cause making that phone call to me!!!Thank you Dr.
Janet Wood in Matthews, NC – Mar 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I had back surgery performed by Dr. McGirt in October in efforts to relieve continuous back pain and numbness in both legs and feet. Simple tasks such as tying my shoes or bending to pick up objects were simply impossible. He was courteous and informative during all my visits and explained what I should expect after surgery. I was instructed on what to avoid for the first few weeks following the procedure. I feel like my old self and ecstatic that my issues have been resolved. AWSOME DOCTOR!!!!
David Phillips in Pineville, NC – Nov 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr McGirt is good at what he does. Surgery went well by all accounts. He is very confident in his ability. Did find it tough to get answers that were in laymen's terms. Thankfully he has PAs that help with that. Also in hindsight the expectations weren't clear. Saying that though I don't doubt he did what we needed and what was best for the situation!
Charlotte, NC – May 31, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I was very hopfull with this Dr but he spent 2 secs with me and said my MRI just showed scare tissue nothing he can do just like the Dr before him very dissapointed with a Dr with his schooling treating people like that . I went to laser spine they was willing to remove scare tissue and found a bone spur on nerve the MRI didn't show .my mcgirt dont just depend on mri they said if a MRI with me on my stomach would have show the bone spur .you have to much education not enough common sense .......
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Frank owens in Lincolnton, NC – Mar 12, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I have had two back surgeries with Dr. McGirt after trying literally every other option. Both surgeries (a little over a year apart) completely healed my debilitating pain that had been affecting every aspect of my life. Dr. McGirt alleviated my problem by using the most conservative approach possible. My family and I could not be more appreciative. His expertise, knowledge, and bedside manner are unsurpassed, and his staff are wonderful. I highly recommend Dr. McGirt! 10 stars!
Michael A. in Concord, NC – Dec 14, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I saw Dr. McGirt in a very painful and debilitating condition. After reviewing my MRI, he had me in surgery within 8 days. My condition improved 100% upon waking up from anesthesia. Now 5 weeks post surgery, I am still pain free and can resume normal activity. I had seen three surgeons for my condition. Dr. McGirt concurred with one other but he was able to schedule surgery much quicker. He is excellent, caring and very professional as well as proficient.
Michael in Denver, North Carolina – Jun 19, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. McGirt?
Provider explaining information to patient