Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 45

Dr. McGirt

Carolina Neurosurgry/Spn Assocs

225 Baldwin Ave Charlotte, NC 28204

Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Charlotte, NC. Dr. McGirt has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Atrium Health University City and Atrium Health's Carolinas Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. McGirt to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

See similar Neurosurgery Specialists in Charlotte

• Hospital Satisfaction
  • Friendly Staff
    Patients said the staff was friendly. See reviews
  • Easy Scheduling
    Patients said scheduling was easy. See reviews

Dr. McGirt accepts

Dr. McGirt accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Typically treats 64% more than similar doctors

• Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Epilepsy
  • Extradural Hemorrhage
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty

Dr. McGirt's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. McGirt

3.8

Dr. McGirt?
  • Appointment scheduling (22)
  • Office environment (20)
  • Staff friendliness (20)
  • Long wait times (11)
  • Appointment was rushed (8)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (8)
Dr. Mcgirt completed a laminectomy for severe sciatica. He got me into the surgical schedule early and the operation was a complete success. I am so grateful to this man for giving me my life back. A great Doctor!
Jan 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I am a father of two and woke up one morning and pet the family dog in the bed. I started to feel a cramp like pain in my arm. I did not pay it any attention and kept on getting up and ready for the day. My youngest came in and started to play around with me; so I picked them up and placed her on the bed to tickle them. After placing on the bed I immediately I cramp like pain in my arm became a sharp pain running down my arm. I flopped of the bed and onto the floor as the pain became so intense I could not move my arm. My wife checked on me and I had her pull on my arm still thinking it was a major cramp in my arm. As the day progressed the pain did not subside at all. My wife took me to the primary doctor and they took my blood pressure and X-rays of my shoulder as the pain seamed to be coming from there. Blood pressure was normal and the x-ray only showed some normal arthritis. My doctor put me on some pain killers and muscle relaxers. I waited a week and nothing was getting better
ACDF Level 1 / 41 male – Jun 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I recently had spinal fusion done by Dr.McGirt and I am very pleased. He was able to give me a “new life” and I can not thank him enough. I was in such pain for a long time and now I am pain free. It has been about one month since my operation. Dr.McGirt was very nice and informed me about my surgery and was able to correct my problem. His staff was wonderful too and they made this experience very rewarding.
Holly Borges in Sherrills Ford, NC – Feb 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Great experience. Glad I chose him. Results have been outstanding. Would recommend him for anyone needing relief from sever stenosis of the spine. He explained the procedure and what to expect afterwards . Which gave me confidence.
Ted in Hickory, NC – Feb 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
His profile states he has been practicing for 16 years. I have been dealing with DDD for 30 years. After 3 lower back surgeries and fusions & hardware from C4 thru C7 I would appreciate a doctor that has time to answer questions. Please don't walk out of the room. I normally would have seen Dr Van Der Veer unfortunately for me he is on medical leave until August. On paper he appears great, I was not impressed!
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Virginia – May 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr. McGirt is a great doctor. I know that he cares about his patients. I had lower lumbar surgery in November 2017. I do feel 99 percent better. The morning of my surgery Dr McGirt called me personally at the hospital letting me know he wTould be there to perform the surgery. He had been out of time but on his way back. He let me know that his assistant Dr Corbin and others would take good care of me. I knew then that as his patient he does care cause making that phone call to me!!!Thank you Dr.
  • Long wait times
Janet Wood in Matthews, NC – Mar 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I had back surgery performed by Dr. McGirt in October in efforts to relieve continuous back pain and numbness in both legs and feet. Simple tasks such as tying my shoes or bending to pick up objects were simply impossible. He was courteous and informative during all my visits and explained what I should expect after surgery. I was instructed on what to avoid for the first few weeks following the procedure. I feel like my old self and ecstatic that my issues have been resolved. AWSOME DOCTOR!!!!
David Phillips in Pineville, NC – Nov 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr McGirt is good at what he does. Surgery went well by all accounts. He is very confident in his ability. Did find it tough to get answers that were in laymen's terms. Thankfully he has PAs that help with that. Also in hindsight the expectations weren't clear. Saying that though I don't doubt he did what we needed and what was best for the situation!
Charlotte, NC – May 31, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I was very hopfull with this Dr but he spent 2 secs with me and said my MRI just showed scare tissue nothing he can do just like the Dr before him very dissapointed with a Dr with his schooling treating people like that . I went to laser spine they was willing to remove scare tissue and found a bone spur on nerve the MRI didn't show .my mcgirt dont just depend on mri they said if a MRI with me on my stomach would have show the bone spur .you have to much education not enough common sense .......
Frank owens in Lincolnton, NC – Mar 12, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I have had two back surgeries with Dr. McGirt after trying literally every other option. Both surgeries (a little over a year apart) completely healed my debilitating pain that had been affecting every aspect of my life. Dr. McGirt alleviated my problem by using the most conservative approach possible. My family and I could not be more appreciative. His expertise, knowledge, and bedside manner are unsurpassed, and his staff are wonderful. I highly recommend Dr. McGirt! 10 stars!
Michael A. in Concord, NC – Dec 14, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I saw Dr. McGirt in a very painful and debilitating condition. After reviewing my MRI, he had me in surgery within 8 days. My condition improved 100% upon waking up from anesthesia. Now 5 weeks post surgery, I am still pain free and can resume normal activity. I had seen three surgeons for my condition. Dr. McGirt concurred with one other but he was able to schedule surgery much quicker. He is excellent, caring and very professional as well as proficient.
Michael in Denver, North Carolina – Jun 19, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Surprised that this guy is a neurosurgeon. Not very intelligent. Very arrogant. A patient is just a number. Does not care for patients. Does not personally invest in care.
Lisa in Charlotte, NC – Jun 08, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
My experience has been excellent. My pinched nerve pain has been completely eliminated. I would highly recommend Dr. McGirt to my friends and family.
Tom D. in Matthews, NC – May 11, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr. mcGirt was very professional and personable. I would recommend him to anyone who needs the type of surgery I needed.
Pamela Luke in Granite Falls, NC – Apr 29, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I have 1 year of experience with Dr. McGirt. I read his medical training and background and was very impressed with him on paper. I have had multiple visits, two surgeries, one outpatient and one in the hospital. Both surgeries were fusions. I was very pleased with the tests performed before surgery, the preparation for both surgeries, the follow-up visits, phone calls, etc. with his office and staff. All were very pleasant, professional and helpful at all times. I highly recommend!
Melody in Charlotte, NC – Apr 28, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
Dr. Matthew McGirt is a superb, caring surgery with a superb, caring staff. He quite literally saved my life through a very complex spinal revision surgery. The follow up by Dr. McGirt and his staff could not have been better. He came highly recommended and more than lived up to it. Yes, I would recommend him to family and friends without hesitation.
Chris Lowe in Charlotte, NC – Apr 24, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?
I had back surgery in May 2015. After staples were removed my incision opened up from top to bottom without an exclamation why. I wore a wound vac for 5 months. I wasn't happy with the no exclamation and the constant pain I still exhibit.
Statesville, NC – Feb 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew McGirt, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. McGirt?

• Neurosurgery