Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  |
Dr. Matthew Massey, MD
Dr. Massey earned his B.S. degree in microbiology (summa cumme laude) from Mississippi State University. He earned his medical degree from the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Mississippi. Dr. Massey's orthopaedic training began at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Louisiana and was completed at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina. He won the Siegling Society Award for Outstanding Clinical Research Paper while he was Chief Resident. He pursued further specialty training in Foot & Ankle and Knee Sports Medicine from the prestigious Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado and The Foundation for Orthopaedic, Athletic, and Reconstructive Research in Houston, Texas. Throughout his career, he has cared for professional athletes from the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, as well as collegiate, high school, recreational, and Olympic athletes. In addition, Dr. Massey was a medical provider at The Dew Tour Ski and Snowboard Competition in Breckenridge, Colorado. On a personal note, Dr. Massey enjoys barbecuing, traveling, landscape photography, snow skiing, and spending time with his family.

18 Medical Park Dr

Asheville, NC 28803

Learn about Dr. Massey

Personally, I work to develop a partnership with my patients. On my part, this begins with listening. One of the most important things I need to know is how the unique problem affects the patient's life. We then develop a dialogue, through which the patients understand the diagnosis, their treatment options, and the recovery process. Patients help to guide their treatment decisions.

I believe that knowledgeable patients make the best choices about their own treatment. That's why I explain every step of the diagnostic process. Next, I want my patients to understand how their condition developed and how different treatments can improve the problem. When we consider treatment alternatives, I present a realistic outlook on the results we can expect to achieve. I'll also be honest about any risks that might be involved. If a non-surgical option is available, I'll explain that choice as well.

Dr. Massey's Experience

Dr. Massey's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Percutaneous Procedures
  • Reconstructive Ankle Surgery

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• Mississippi State University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed
  • The Steadman Clinic
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

• Siegling Research Day, Outstanding Clinical Research Paper, 2009

Dr. Massey has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Massey does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Massey and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Massey's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Massey to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Massey Says:

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback.  This will be reviewed so that we can continuously improve the patient experience with our practice.  If you want to discuss ways in which your experience can be enhanced or other concerns, please contact our office.

Dr. Massey's Performance
in Asheville, NC |
We had a very successful meniscus repair with Dr. Massey. He is a very kind doctor, experienced. It was a smooth, easy to navigate through surgery with the help of the office staff and the doctor.
in Marion, NC |
Dr. Massey is wonderful!! He is a very caring doctor. I had a torn meniscus and had to have surgery. He explained everything to me about the surgery and made sure I understood everything about it. I would not hesitate one moment to go back to him if I ever had a problem with my knees again. I very thankful that they brought him in at Carolina Hand. The staff there is great. I was already a patient there and it was easy to get to see him. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Asheville, NC |
Excellent "all" patient care physician. I would give anything if Dr. Massey would have been in Asheville when I had two unsuccessful outcomes for foot and knee surgeries. I was referred to him presenting preexisting conditions resulting from these surgeries. I would highly recommend him. Also, my internist and another orthopedic doctor recommended Dr. Massey to me.
Morganton, NC |
Dr. Massey was recommended to me by a neighbor. I am truly grateful for Dr. Massey's excellent surgery on my foot! I have already passed on my recommendation to a friend. He provides clear explanations about treatment.
in Canton, NC |
There is a very strong likelihood as I have already recommended him to at least six people. He did a wonderful job and I'm very thankful. From the first consultation to the follow ups, I could not ask for a better experience. This was my first surgery and I can't see that it could be a better experience.
in Asheville, NC |
Dr. Massey took care of me when I broke my foot. Rather than rushing into surgery, he listened to my needs and came up with a solution that avoided surgery. After a few months I am back to walking 5 miles a day and taking care of my health. I would heartily recommend him to anyone with a foot injury.
in Asheville, NC |
I highly recommend Dr. Massey. After visiting another local Sports Med Dr. I came away with no answers for a knee problem. Dr. Massey assessed my problem and in just a few minutes was able to get me back to my training program with amazing results. My knee is almost completely recovered in just a few weeks!
in Asheville, NC |
I would recommend Dr. Massey to anyone with a foot injury. He was personable, knowledgeable, gave me choices and explained the outcome. He was right on target with the healing process.
in Marion, NC |
Dr. Massey really helped my knees! Highly recommend!
in Asheville |
Dr. Massey was good at explaining what needed to be done with my ankle surgery in the office and again the day of my surgery. I had confidence in his ability and technique to perform the tendon repair I needed. I had no complications and feel that was due to his excellent care and my following his post operative instructions.
Asheville, NC |
Dr. Massey was always attentive to my needs, I appreciated his support and expertise in helping me get through my recent fracture and treatment recommendations. He is personable and easy to talk to.
in Asheville, NC |
I had a great experience with Dr Massey. He provided a good evaluation and thoughtfully answered my questions. The knee operation went smoothly, and my knee is greatly improved. The office personnel are very nice. I would highly recommend Dr Massey to others.
Arden, NC |
Fantastic doctor! Easy to talk to and to understand. Staff is wonderful and always a pleasure to speak with and always concerned with my well being.
in Old Fort, NC |
Dr Massy is very good at taking his time to explain your condition and is very easy to talk to. I would strongly recommend Dr Massy and Carolina Hand and Sports Medicine.
in Candler, NC |
Dr Massey treated me for a knee injury requiring surgery and post treatment. I am more than pleased with Dr Massey's expertise in this area. He is a very personable person who takes time to kindly explain what he is doing regarding the treatment and provide professional options. I would highly recommend Dr Massey to anyone.
in hendersonville, nc |
Dr. Massey is wonderful. He listens and tells you exactly what is going on and why. I was given my options and told what to expect throughout recovery. I had spent three years avoiding seeing a surgeon tolerating the pain and shots because I was told at Blue Ridge Bone & Joint extensive foot realignment was my only option. I am so thankful I found Dr. Massey!!!!!! I am am free and was back in my iwn shoes within a month.
Brevard, NC |
Friendly, patient, good listener and thorough.
Black Mountain, NC |
Great experience from beginning to end with Dr. Massey. I was very comfortable talking to him about all my concerns and Dr. Massey was always encouraging and reassuring.
in asheville nc |
dr.massey was so kind and caring. he sure did help me with my knee.
in Black Mountain, NC |
Very practical in has application of diagnostic care. Very knowledgable from my viewpoint on treating the knww.
Asheville, NC |
Dr. Massey is very knowledgeable and accessible. He takes a conservative approach and explains different scenarios and options. He moves forward in levels of treatment as needed.
in Hendersonville, NC |
Nice to find a doctor who is caring and explains things clearly. I will definitely recommend Dr.Massey to friends and family. The surgery went smoothly without any problems. Thank you Dr. Massey for fixing my foot!
in Arden, NC |
Made an appointment to see Dr. Massey about my knee, torn meniscus. After examining me he said that surgery was an option but wanted to wait. Gave me exercises to do. Had two follow-up visits. Told me that surgery still wasn't needed. I appreciated his honesty and integrity.
in Sapphire, NC |
I am a 67 year old female with arthritis in my right knee. It's bone on bone and can be painful at times. I received a series of three injections of Orthobisc. My knee is better but will probably have to reschedule in a few months. Dr. Massey was very personable and I have enjoyed meeting he and his staff. I will definitely schedule again when I'm ready. My only problem is that it's an hour and a half drive. But, he's worth it!
in Arden, NC |
I want to recommend Dr. Massey to everyone. Because of his surgical skills I was walking normally within 3 months of his putting a plate and 8 screws in my fibula after a displaced fracture. He and his staff we very helpful during this stressful period of my life. Please consider using him for any lower leg needs.
in Asheville, NC |
Dr. Massey is friendly, caring, and more than willing to take time to explain what's happening with my arthritic knees. I feel confident he is helping me understand the treatment options I have and is commited to helping me. I have been very pleased with the results.
in Burnsville NC |
Dr. Massey did surgery on my knee Dec 28,2016 I have had wonderful experience great doctor I would highly recommend him!!!!!!
in Fletcher, NC |
Dr. Massey provided excellent care. His office stays on time with minimal wait. He has a good bedside manner and is easy to talk to. I trust his judgment with my care as well as the care of my family.
in Mills River, NC |
Dr Massey is the only doctor in Asheville doing the PARS technique for achilles rupture. He did a great job explaining the process and stayed on top of my recovery. I am 3 months out from surgery and starting back to some athletic activities. I was originally scheduled for the open procedure but luckily I found Dr Massey and have had great results. Could not image doing open surgery worrying about infection and a big scar. Didn't have these worries and I only have a 3 cm scar. Go to Massey
in Asheville, NC |
My friend is a nurse and told me he's the best. He answered all my questions and it didn't take long to get in to see him. Dr. Massey told me all the options for treating my ankle injury. He did an MRI to confirm my problem and after surgery I'm doing so much better!
Have you seen Dr. Matthew Massey, MD?
Are you Dr. Massey?