Dr. Matthew B. Massey, MD

Dr. Matthew B. Massey, MD

Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery | Male | 39 years old

24 reviews| Leave a review

Patient Testimonials

Personally, I work to develop a partnership with my patients. On my part, this begins with listening. One of the most important things I need to know is how the unique problem affects the patient's life. We then develop a dialogue, through which the patients understand the diagnosis, their treatment options, and the recovery process. Patients help to guide their treatment decisions. I believe that knowledgeable patients make the best choices about their own treatment. That's why I explain every step of the diagnostic process. Next, I want my patients to understand how their condition developed and how different treatments can improve the problem. When we consider treatment alternatives, I present a realistic outlook on the results we can expect to achieve. I'll also be honest about any risks that might be involved. If a non-surgical option is available, I'll explain that choice as well.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Massey's Experience

See how Dr. Massey's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Massey

Dr. Massey accepts 5 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Massey has admitting privileges.

Dr. Massey's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Massey to family and friends
3.8
Experience with Dr. Massey
Dr. Massey's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (23)
Dr. Massey Says:

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback.  This will be reviewed so that we can continuously improve the patient experience with our practice.  If you want to discuss ways in which your experience can be enhanced or other concerns, please contact our office.

in Sapphire, NC |
I am a 67 year old female with arthritis in my right knee. It's bone on bone and can be painful at times. I received a series of three injections of Orthobisc. My knee is better but will probably have to reschedule in a few months. Dr. Massey was very personable and I have enjoyed meeting he and his staff. I will definitely schedule again when I'm ready. My only problem is that it's an hour and a half drive. But, he's worth it!
in Arden, NC |
I want to recommend Dr. Massey to everyone. Because of his surgical skills I was walking normally within 3 months of his putting a plate and 8 screws in my fibula after a displaced fracture. He and his staff we very helpful during this stressful period of my life. Please consider using him for any lower leg needs.
in Asheville, NC |
Dr. Massey is friendly, caring, and more than willing to take time to explain what's happening with my arthritic knees. I feel confident he is helping me understand the treatment options I have and is commited to helping me. I have been very pleased with the results.
in Burnsville NC |
Dr. Massey did surgery on my knee Dec 28,2016 I have had wonderful experience great doctor I would highly recommend him!!!!!!
in Fletcher, NC |
Dr. Massey provided excellent care. His office stays on time with minimal wait. He has a good bedside manner and is easy to talk to. I trust his judgment with my care as well as the care of my family.
in Mills River, NC |
Dr Massey is the only doctor in Asheville doing the PARS technique for achilles rupture. He did a great job explaining the process and stayed on top of my recovery. I am 3 months out from surgery and starting back to some athletic activities. I was originally scheduled for the open procedure but luckily I found Dr Massey and have had great results. Could not image doing open surgery worrying about infection and a big scar. Didn't have these worries and I only have a 3 cm scar. Go to Massey
in Asheville, NC |
My friend is a nurse and told me he's the best. He answered all my questions and it didn't take long to get in to see him. Dr. Massey told me all the options for treating my ankle injury. He did an MRI to confirm my problem and after surgery I'm doing so much better!
Have you seen Dr. Matthew B. Massey, MD?
Are you Dr. Massey?

Compare Dr. Massey

Dr. Massey says...

Dr. Massey earned his B.S. degree in microbiology (summa cumme laude) from Mississippi State University. He earned his medical degree from the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Mississippi.  Dr. Massey's orthopaedic training began at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Louisiana and was completed at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina.  He won the Siegling Society Award for Outstanding Clinical Research Paper while he was Chief Resident.

He pursued further specialty training in Foot & Ankle and Knee Sports Medicine from the prestigious Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado and The Foundation for Orthopaedic, Athletic, and Reconstructive Research in Houston, Texas.

Throughout his career, he has cared for professional athletes from the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, as well as collegiate, high school, recreational, and Olympic athletes. In addition, Dr. Massey was a medical provider at The Dew Tour Ski and Snowboard Competition in Breckenridge, Colorado.

On a personal note, Dr. Massey enjoys barbecuing, traveling, landscape photography, snow skiing, and spending time with his family.

Dr. Massey's Care Philosophy

Dr. Massey says...

Matthew B. Massey, M.D. is a fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in injuries to the lower extremity, the knee, and the foot/ankle. The vast majority of Dr. Massey's time is dedicated to sports injuries, arthroscopy, fracture repair, and tendon repair.

Dr. Massey says...

Whether treating a competitive athlete with an acute sports injury or helping an older patient with long standing arthritis, Dr. Massey enjoys helping patients choose a treatment plan that fits their individual needs to improve their quality of life. Dr. Massey performs both open and arthroscopic surgery, and is pleased to offer total ankle replacement as a potential treatment option.  He is the only surgeon in Western North Carolina performing minimally invasive, percutaneous Achille repair.

Dr. Massey says...

Dr. Massey's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

• Siegling Research Day, Outstanding Clinical Research Paper, 2009

Dr. Massey has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Massey's Board Certifications

• Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

Foundation for Orthopaedic, Athletic, & Reconstructive Research
    The Steadman Clinic
    Mississippi State University

Graduated in 1999

Dr. Massey does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Massey and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Percutaneous Procedures
  • Reconstructive Ankle Surgery
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results