Dr. Matthew Kraay, MD

Practices Orthopedic Surgery

On a scale of 1 and 5 this provider is rated 4.5 after 116 reviews.
Author:
Dr. Kraay and his team did a terrific job on my hip - virtually no pain - I was up and walking the next day, working within a couple of weeks. I would recommend him to anybody. Further, the nursing staff was top-notch. The operation has made a transformative difference in my life - my energy, ability and attitude.
Author:
My experience with Dr. Kraay and his team was outstanding. I would and will recommend other to him
Author:
Dr. Kraay is very professional in both his knowledge of orthopedics and has expertise in his surgical skills.
Author:
From the first time I was on my feet for therapy after surgery I knew that I had made the right decision and had chosen the best surgeon I could have.
Author:
Worst experience of my life.rude.staff is very unprofessional.went to orthopedic association.dr.Templeton.awesome dr.2 hips done.wonderful recovery
Author:
I first consulted Dr. Kraay in 2007 for a second opinion on knee replacement surgery since another surgeon felt it was urgent I have the procedure performed. I had been wearing knee braces for 7 years and had relief with injections. Dr. Kraay suggested, if I didn't mind wearing the braces, I wait as long as possible for surgery. Since I was still able to work and do all that I needed to, and with the manual labor I did for a living, he was concerned I would wear out a replacement. I was quite impressed with his guidance, and returned to him 8 years later for total knee replacements in 2015 & 2016, followed by my right hip replacement in 2019. I cannot recommend him enough!
Author:
Dr. Kraay is a straight-forward, brilliant physician. I am fortunate to have picked him from several recommended physicians for total knee replacement. His clinical staff were professional but kind. Well done Dr. Kraay!
Author:
Dr Kraay replaced my hip and knee and I feel he did an excellent job and I have recommended a number of people see him about their knee problems
Author:
Dr Kraay did an excellent job on my hip replacement. I was walking the same day and was back to a very physical job with no complication in six weeks.
Author:
Have had great success having had both hips and knees replaced by Dr. Mathew Kraay!
Author:
I had a great visit. Everyone is so friendly and kind.
He knows his stuff
Author:
Dr Kraay and his staff offered the support I needed from pre-op to post-op. I was always aware of each step in this process. I had my left knee replacement done 3 months ago and I have full range of motion and little to no pain already. I am 1 week post-op on my right knee replacement and I am moving forward. I am so thankful for all of the supportive care by Dr Kraay and his staff.
Author:
Wife with painful, collapsed femur head - bed ridden for a couple months went to Dr. Kraay for surgery consult. He did scans and, given her variety of medical conditions required her to get clearance - 4 specialists, as well as pass his own pre-certification. Gave her a tentative date 3 months out, which was moved up to 2 months, as she met all his requirements. Two days ago he cancels her surgery unless she gets immed "pulmonary therapy"...how? She can't walk. Too bad for her. Start over again.
Author:
Dr. Mathew Kraay is, in my families opinion - the most qualified orthopedic surgeon in the country. He’s successfully completed 9 total knee replacements for us. Not one of these procedures incurred any type of infection. Period. When his well-deserved retirement comes, University Hospital and patients throughout this country will lose one of the most knowledgeable, compassionate, and friendly surgeons to ever practice the art of giving someone their life back.
Author:
He has replaced both of my knees and I will recommend him to my friends!
Author:
Dr. Kraay's experience shows. He answered all of my questions both before and after surgery. My recovery was much quicker than I had anticipated, likely because of the well-designed recovery process he has established. I am very pleased with how my knee functions now three months afterwards and I have no problems with it at all. When it's time for my second knee in the future, I will definitely see Dr. Kraay.
Author:
The personal contact in the lobby was very confidence building. Such a huge place, I no longer felt lost in some system, but became part of a family that I knew I could trust with my welfare. After two hip replacement visits, Dr Kraay and his Staff ARE family. University Hosp Nurses and Staff are excellent. Even the food is top drawer... I have a degree in Restaurant Mgt. In any future encounters with surgery, I know I want this Team.
Author:
Dr Kraay is simply awesome! He has replaced both of my hips and I am able to walk so much better. Dr Kraay takes time to talk to you about everything concerning your surgery. The very best surgeon you could ever have.
Author:
This concerns my first of two hip replacements. The experience was amazingly stress and problem free and healing went 3 to 4 times faster than expected--and I was optimistic. Dr. Kraay and his team are clearly a world class operation. While I'm not looking forward to the next surgery in a few days, I can't imagine being in better hands.
Author:
I had a total hip replacement done by Dr. Kraay. I found him to be extremely knowledgeable and professional. My recovery was fantastic. Nurses were surprised by how well I was doing almost immediately and recovery was much easier and less painful than I anticipated. I credit most of that to the quality of the surgery that Dr. Kraay performed. The entire hospital experience at UH main campus was excellent from start to finish. Thank you!
Author:
After 40+ years of pain and deterioration of my knee, I had a total knee replacement by Dr. Kraay. He was very honest but also positive with my prognosis, explaining I would get partial function back but not the "normal" post-op function most people get. Three months after surgery I have 102 degress of bend. This is more than I expected to achieve. But the more important than the function I have regained is the fact that I have no pain now. I would highly recommend Dr. Kraay.
Author:
Dr. Kraay is a life saver. I had a total hip replacement done by him . I went from a pain level of 10[ Extreme pain] to a 0 at the present time. Dr. Kray answered all my questions with patience and never rushed me along. He also gave me several suggestions on how to moderate my every day movements to take care of my new hip. He is the best!!!
Author:
I could not ask for a better doctor.
Author:
Dr, Kraay will tell you what you have to hear, not what you want to hear. Follow his post operation instructions to the letter and your recovery will have few if any complications
Author:
Dr Kraay and his team are top notch. Excellent experience with my knee replacement surgery
Author:
Dr. Matthew Kraay & staff at UH did an outstanding right knee replacement surgery on me 8/6/18. He had my left knee done in 2016. He &/or his staff answered all my questions before & after surgery. Pain management was excellent. I was off all prescribed pain meds within 3 weeks. Overall, this surgery was like a "walk in the park". In 6 weeks, i got my life back. THERAPY is a MUST. Get yourself ready PRIOR to surgery, that means exercise/therapy. I strongly recommend Dr. Kraay and his staff
Author:
Very personable Doctor. He took the time to properly and fully explain his procedure and took great care of my Mother. She had Hip Replacement Surgery, her recovery was quick and she is back to 110%. Thank you!
Author:
Dr. Kraay has performed a total knee replacement as well as a total hip replacement on me. Could not be more pleased with both surgeries. Would highly recommend Dr. Kraay as well as his staff to anyone considering similar procedures. Dr. Kraay has earned and deserves the accolades he has been given by his patients and peer group.
Author:
upon diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my left hip by my family physician and his subsequent recommendation of seeing a local orthopedic surgeon, i declined as in my mind, being only an hour away from Cleveland and the best care offered for my condition, i began the process of finding a surgeon who could best take care of me. I was given a recommendation by Dr. Sean Cupp that Dr. Matthew Kraay was the best. Couldnt have been more right. Dr. Kraay and his staff were better than I hoped for.
Author:
I had a total left knee done by Dr. Matt Kraay in November 2017 and I had a total right knee done by Dr. Matt Kraay in March 2018. Excellent job on both knee's !!!!! I highly recommend Dr. Kraay. First class orthopedic surgeon.
Author:
I can't imagine having my surgery done by anyone else. The care and expertise shown by Dr. Kraay inspired total confidence. Also adding to the confidence was the care also shown by his entire support team and the? entire University Hospitals staff. Dr. Kraay obviously has the respect of the professional community.
Author:
I Would and I have recommended Dr. Kraay. He and his staff are very professional and very responsive.
Author:
My experience with Dr. Kraay was really great from start to finish. The initial diagnoses and treatment plan was quick, thorough and left me feeling very comfortable that we had selected the correct plan for treatment. I enjoyed Dr. Kraay's demeanor which I found to be professional, friendly, humorous and, above all else, professional. The actual surgery could not have gone better. The results were amazing. Dr. Kraay's nurse, Kelly, through the Force Therapeutics portal was a godsend!
Author:
Very professional and patient. Took the time to explain my problem and options available
Author:
recently had knee replacement surgery with Dr. Kraay. It was about six weeks ago and I am amazed with the results. No more pain, no more limping. The actual surgery and recovery was very easy on me. I am 75 years old. I was released the day after surgery from the hospital, which was wonderful as I feel I was up and about a lot sooner. Although I was treated very well in the hospital, it is nice to be home. I will recommend Dr. Kraay and his team to family and friends.
Author:
We all know it's not a perfect world but, my experience with the staff and Dr. Kraay was just that. Perfect! I had total knee replacement on October 16, 2017.. From Admission to Anesthesiology, post op, pain management, nursing and support by everyone else I met there, I couldn't have been more comfortable and secure with everyone and the procedure. Doctor Kraay assured me that this surgery would go very well. Actually it was exceptional. I am so grateful to him and all at UH.
Author:
Dr Kraay. He is the best of the best.- also a really good guy. He replaced my right hip on October 10, 2017. I had a truly amazing. experience. From his expert orthopedic care to the select team of ortho nurses at University Hospitals- Fabulous Care We asked dozens of people who to go to for a hip replacement. While we heard many excellent names- his name was repeated constantly. I was going to go to a doctor at The Mayo Clinic in MInnesota but decided ultimately on Dr Matt Kraay
Author:
My knee replacement surgery was June 22. It is the best decision I made . Dr Kraay is a professional . He is direct, instructs the patient on what to expect ,he also was available on the weekend when I called with some concerns. I am impressed with the results I walk without pain Thank you Dr Kraay.
Author:
Unless you are sure you want a joint replacement, you are waisting your time and money seeing Dr. Kraay. He stated that's all he does, no less. Does not manage appointment time well and I almost walked out after waiting over 45 minutes to see him and accomplished nothing.
Author:
Dr. Kraay is absolutely wonderful. 10 years ago I had total hip replacement on my right hip. The surgery went very well. I never had any problems. This is one of the main reason I came back to Dr. Kraay after experiencing pain with my left hip. I now live in Las Vegas but returned to Cleveland for one reason. I had total hip replacement surgery on Feb. 7, 2017 and I feel great. Dr. Kraay is the only doctor I will let touch me. I can't thank him enough for improving my life. God Bless you.
Author:
First off, I would like to comment on some of the negative responses of Dr. Kraay. Upon meeting him, I found him to be a no nonsense and quiet individual. Dr. Kraay is a master of his trade. That is why I selected him. My experience of having my hip replaced was nothing short of fantastic. His whole team from beginning to end was very professional and caring. He saw me before and after surgery and was very warm and informative. I went home the day after surgery with little pain.
Author:
Dr. Kraay is an excellent surgeon. I recently had a total knee replacement and the entire experience was positive. Dr. Kraay and his support staff explained all the details involved in this process and are responsive to any questions or needs. Post op pain is well managed and patients are closely watched and cared for at home after surgery. I would highly recommend Dr. Kraay and will have him do my other knee's joint replacement. I have total trust in him!
Author:
Dr. Kraay provided a thorough exam and game plan for my 2 knees to be replaced only 7 weeks apart due to constraints in my schedule. Both surgeries were flawless. I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon. Dr. Kraay and his entire team are amazing. I am so thankful and blessed to be where I am today - all thanks to Dr. Kraay and his team.
Author:
Dr. Kraay's response to my knee pain after I fell playing volleyball? "It's nothing some bariatric surgery won't cure." Really? I am completely honest when I say that I'm about 20 pounds overweight (that's why I'm playing volleyball again); however, his bedside manner needs a little help. I'm going to find another doctor who actually cares. I guess if you're not a top athlete, Dr. Kraay doesn't want to deal with you.
Author:
One of the worst doctors I have ever had an apt with. I am shocked the UH hospital system hasn't canned him because he is so unprofessional. I honestly cant understand how he is still practicing medicine. He was unkind, negative and uncaring. He said terrible things that I wont even repeat. Be forewarned. Don't waste your time. There are much better doctors out there that want to practice medicine at a professional level and are actually are kind and caring.
Author:
My full hip replacement experience in the hospital was extremely positive. I especially appreciated the care with which infection is minimized. The protocol that I followed before entering the hospital and the precautions in the O.R. made me feel extremely comfortable with the surgery. The 6th floor unit is great. Nursing care was excellent as was the post-op home care. He also replaced both of my husband's knees prior to my surgery with great results.
Author:
Very professional, informative. I had an excellent experience and best of care.