Dr. Matthew L. Hansen, MD

Dr. Matthew L. Hansen, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male | 45 years old

Matthew L. Hansen, MD Orthopedic Surgeon Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgeon Board Certified in Sports Medicine Dr. Hansen specializes in orthopedic sports medicine, advanced shoulder and elbow surgery, knee ligament reconstruction, hip arthroscopy and cartilage restoration. He graduated with distinction from Cornell University and received his doctorate in medicine from the University Of Utah School Of Medicine. He was selected to the prestigious Hospital for Special Surgery Orthopedic Surgery Residency in New York City, and interned at The New York- Presbyterian Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Hansen completed fellowship training at the distinguished Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles, California. While there Dr. Hansen worked in conjunction with team surgeons providing care for the LA Dodgers, the LA Lakers, and the LA Angels of Anaheim. He also worked with the LA Kings, the LA Sparks, the LA Galaxy, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, and USC football.Read more

OrthoArizona - Mezona Division
1760 E Pecos Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85295 Get Directions

I am an orthopedic surgeon with sports medicine and shoulder replacement expertise. Education is very important to me. I do everything I can to help you understand your condition and available treatment options. I am an expert in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee. I emphasize hip preservation surgery for those who do not need hip replacement. This includes advanced surgeries such as hip arthroscopy, revision ACL, Tommy John surgery, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, multi-ligament knee reconstruction and reverse shoulder replacement.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Hansen's Experience

See how Dr. Hansen's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Hansen

Dr. Hansen accepts 43 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Hansen has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

×

Dr. Hansen's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hansen to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Hansen
Dr. Hansen's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (122)
in Chandler, AZ |
I became a patient of Dr. Hansen's late last year, and I couldn't be happier about choosing him as my surgeon. Dr. Hansen is warm and attentive. He will spend all the time necessary to listen to your concerns and answer your questions. He is never dismissive of your concerns. His assistants are also amazing. They are incredibly kind and return calls extremely quickly. Though Dr. Hansen is part of a large group, his care is exceptional. I'd give him more stars if I could!
Excellent Doctor
in Gilbert, AZ |
Takes time to listen to all concerns.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Very professional and knowledgeable. Warm, relaxed demeanour
in Queen Creek, Az |
During our pre-surgery discussion Dr. Hansen was very clear and concise about what could and could not be done during my elbow surgery. The post-surgery results was exactly as we had discussed, and my results could not have been better. I would highly recommend Dr. Hansen, and I will use him again.
Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Hansen performed my surgery on a very serious skiing knee ligament injury. Dr. Hansen and his staff have been very professional throughout the whole process. I should be skiing again soon thanks to Dr. Hansen, his staff and the onsite Physical Therapy staff as well.
in QUEEN CREEK |
I was unaware of Dr. Hansen's reputation prior to being referred to him for my shoulder surgery, but I have come to realize that there are many who feel as I do that he is quite competent in his craft, and that he has a genuine concern for his patients to be able to return to a normal, active lifestyle. I enjoyed observing him actually listening to me as I expressed concerns, or when I sought more understanding. Dr. Hansen is surrounded by an amazing staff and Assistants. A great experience!
in Chandler Az |
Great guy! Dr Hansen was the first doctor of 3 and after more than a decade found out the real reason for my shoulder pain. In the last doctors just sent me to PT but in the long run it didn't help at all. Dr Hansen took every approach to figure out my problem and tried everything before resorting to surgery. However surgery was the only answer for me. He did a great job and now I haven't felt pain in my shoulder nor does it pop when I lift it above my head! Again, great guy!!
in Chandler, AZ. 85259 |
I would absolutely recommend Dr. Hansen. He is a very caring Doctor as well as being extremely knowledgable.
in Queen Creek, AZ |
Dr Hanson is thorough and takes his time to listen. I had a crushed elbow and needed an artificial replacement surgery and he did my surgery the day after Thanksgiving at his surgery center. Other surgeons wouldn't do surgery over the holiday weekend. I had excellent outpatient care there and my arm function following PT is normal.
in Mesa, AZ |
I loved Dr. Hanson's personable bedside manner. He put my son at ease and was very thorough in his explanation. I would recommend his expertise to others and truly appreciated his willingness to care for my son.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Hansen is a great listener and takes the time to explain all of the options, good bad or ugly. I could not be more pleased with the shoulder surgery. My recovery time and pain level were way lower than expected by me as well as his staff. He did a great job and has a great bedside manner and professionalism. It's not a one man shop at his office. Everyone is great, especially his P.A. Geoff Streeter. I would have given him 5 stars for everything except I never needed an urgent appointment!
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr Hansen is very personal and caring when it comes to his patients. He takes the time to cover every possible remedy for your problem and then uses everything at his disposal to take care of you in the most effective way.
in CHANDLER, AZ |
Always walk away knowing that my questions have been answered and I am aware of what the next step in the process will be.
in Tempe, AZ |
Great surgeon. Corrected a knee that looked entirely destroyed in MRIs. I'm playing sport again a year later. ??
in Phoenix, AZ |
I had no doubt that he knew what he was talking about. He was very honest with me and made sure I understood everything before doing anything. He performed a new surgery on my knee that is popular in Europe, and am fortunate to say my knee feels GREAT! I'm still able to live the active lifestyle I want, even after 3 knee surgeries. He's great ????
in Gold Canyon, AZ |
Made me feel comfortable before, during, and after my surgery! I would highly recommend Dr. Hansen if any shoulder type surgery is needed. The entire procedure was well explained to me before the surgery; and what to expect after the surgery.
in Mesa, AZ |
Saw me on short notice due to an emergent situation, was one of only a couple valley ortho's that treated my type of condition, was thorough in explaining things, comforting (since my injury was fairly rare), confident in his abilities. I would definitely see him again.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Hansen did a great job explaining the issue I had in my knee and the options to fix it. We ended up doing a meniscus repair surgery and it was very successful. I am 37 and very active in playing sports, hiking, etc. It has been 1 year since the surgery and can do everything I could before surgery including dunking when I play basketball. I followed the advise for physical therapy and pregression of activity outlined by Dr. Hansen and I am not quite at 100% yet but I am close.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Hansen did a rotator cuff repair on my right shoulder. Time was critical as my daughter's wedding was only 10 weeks away and I wanted to be able to wear a suit without the arm sling. Dr. Hansen was able to do the operation quickly and the physiotherapy recovery time allowed me to get out of the sling in time. I have recommended DR. Hansen to others including my wife Sandy who had a shoulder replacement done 8 weeks ago.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Hansen was able to see my son right after his injury and we have been very happy with the surgery and how we were treated. We also had positive experiences with his P.A. Geoff Streeter who took his time to explain everything and was very professional.
in Queen Creek, AZ |
Dr. Hanson has replaced both the left and right shoulders. His has been upfront on the condition of the joint. Dr. Hanson gives you all the alternatives so you can make an intelligent decision on how to proceed. Dr. Hanson and Jeff Streeter (PA) are both personable and professional.
Chandler, Az |
I have had Dr. Hansen as my ortho doc now for close to 2 years and I really like him. Unfortunately I have a lot of issues and he never makes me feel any less of a person. Whenever I need to make an appointment I never have any issues and I am usually able to see him. He has his PA Jeff who is great as well! Actually all of his staff is great. I had to have a rotator cuff repair done last year and he did a great job!
Gilbert, AZ |
Excellent doctor! I would highly recommend him to others.
in GIlbert, AZ |
I visited Dr. Hansen for shoulder and knee problems. He completed surgery on both locations. Surgery went very well and the recovery was exactly as Dr. Hansen prescribed. I am currently able to do all activities that I did previously with no pain. My physical therapist was amazed with how quickly my shoulder healed and was able to have passive full range of motion shortly after the surgery.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Hansen is the best! I've suffered with pain in my right groin for 15 years. I've been to countless other doctors, physical therapists, you name it. He was able to figure it out immediately!! I had 2 surgeries on my right hip for FAI. Dr. Hansen has a great personality and listened to all of my concerns, and explained everything in detail. I'm pain free today and very grateful!! His staff is the best, too. They went above and beyond to help me out with insurance, paperwork and other needs.
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr. Hansen has taken very good care of me. He has a wonderful bedside manner and communicates effectively based on patient medical knowledge. His staff is quick to respond to any patient needs.
in Queen Creek, AZ |
Had torn medial meniscus, saw Dr. Hansen, got in immediately. He drained swollen knee, gave steroid shot. Within a month, knee still hurt (steroid shots never work in me), he suggested laparoscopic surgery. Surgery scheduled in no time, pain was gone and I walked out. Follow ups with Dr or PA were great, PA and office staff very nice, efficient. So impressed, I scheduled a needed back surgery with their back surgeon, Dr. Song - completely opposite, he and his staff uncaring - changed surgeon.
Mesa, AZ |
I may come back & review as I haven't even been able to get an appointment to see this doctor. Instead, I have been on hold for nearly 30 minutes -- 3 calls. The 1st time, the person who answered asked a myriad of questions and then put me through to the right office, which never answered. The 2nd time, I went through the same questions with a second person, was put through to the right office and after holding for 11 min. 20 sec., hung up and called a 3rd time-still put on hold. No appt yet
in Gilbert, AZ |
Best doctor around. Did an amazing job with the two surgeries that I had with him. Excellent staff. Highly recommended. Worked well around my special circumstances to get me in as soon as possible.
Have you seen Dr. Matthew L. Hansen, MD?
Are you Dr. Hansen?

Compare Dr. Hansen

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Hansen at OrthoArizona - Mezona Division

Dr. Hansen says...

Matthew L. Hansen, MD

Orthopedic Surgeon

Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgeon

Board Certified in Sports Medicine

Dr. Hansen's Care Philosophy

I am an orthopedic surgeon with sports medicine and shoulder replacement expertise. Education is very important to me. I do everything I can to help you understand your condition and available treatment options. I am an expert in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee.  I emphasize hip preservation surgery for those who do not need hip replacement. This includes advanced surgeries such as hip arthroscopy, revision ACL, Tommy John surgery, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, multi-ligament knee reconstruction and reverse shoulder replacement.

Dr. Hansen's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine
  •  Malpractice claims in Arizona not available

Dr. Hansen has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

Why It Matters: Dr. Hansen's Board Certifications

• Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Disorders
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Fractured Lower Leg
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Gout
  • Knee Ligament Injuries
  • Knee Ligament Rupture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Ligament Sprain
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tendon Disorders
  • Tendon Injuries
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tenosynovitis

Cornell Univ

Graduated in 1995

Snow College

Graduated in 1993

Dr. Hansen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hansen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sports Medicine

• Lateral Meniscus Repair
  • Ligament Reconstruction
  • Medial Meniscus Repair
  • Meniscectomy
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement