Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD

Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD

Bariatric Surgery •  Male • Age 49

Telehealth services available

Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD is a Bariatric Surgery Specialist in Reston, VA. He is affiliated with medical facilities Reston Hospital Center and Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Fitzer to book an appointment.

Virginia Bariatric Surgery Center

New Patient?
Reston Office1850a Town Center Pkwy Ste 301 Reston, VA 20190

• Practices at Top Hospital Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Fitzer's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Fitzer

4.3

Dr. Fitzer?
      I just wanted to share that I love this office and my experience! From scheduling, to my first appointment and everything after. I had bypass done, and I remember being nervous the day of surgery. But the whole team was awesome and encouraging! I’ve always been treated with the utmost respect and kindness in this office. So for that I wanted to rate them highly. patient comfortability and professionalism is very important to me, and I have anxiety to begin with. Also the hospital stay was awesome, with encouragement from Roz helped me soo much. Sometimes you just need a smiling face after surgery and positive encouragement! After all, your trusting someone to cut you open and perform surgery on you! But I wouldn’t choose anyone else than Dr. Fitzer! Thank you for this, and I am now living my life in a new manner and hope to continue achieving! Thank you everyone at VA Bariatric Surgery Center! I had 2 people refer me (friend and family) to Dr. Fitzer, so I definitely recommend!
      Ashley – Aug 19, 2020
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      I'm extremely pleased with Dr. Fitzer and his team. They've truly showed care and compassion throughout my WLS journey. I "snuck in" for my surgery March 24, 2020, less than 24 hours before the governor stopped elective surgeries due to COVID-19, and I'm so very thankful I did! Within three months, I had shrunk from an XXL to a Medium shirt size (see photos), and my accompanying Type II Diabetes, Hypertension, Hypercholesterolemia, and Sleep Apnea had ALL normalized! I'm at 5 months post-op, my weight is down 80 pounds (from 274 to 194), and I feel terrific! I routinely walk 4-5 miles without any fatigue, and have an abundance of energy. Thanks so very much, Dr. Fitzer and VBS team!
      Scotty W – Aug 19, 2020
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      I cannot say enough about my journey with Dr. Fitzer and his staff. Everyone has been so incredibly helpful, patient, kind, thoughtful, supportive and attentive to all of my needs and concerns. I was referred to Dr. Fitzer by a good friend and co-worker who saw him about six months before me and I saw how pleased she was with the service, care and how well she did after her procedure. The day of my procedure, everything went so smoothly. Everyone not only with Dr. Fitzers team, but from the Reston Hospital Center as well were simply perfect. I could not have asked for any better care from what I received. Everyone who came to check in on me after my procedure was pleasant, attentive, kind and always answered any questions I had. Roz, the coordinator is AMAZING! She really was the bow on top of the perfect gift. Her attention to care is out of this world and I cannot thank her and the rest of Dr. Fitzers team for all they have done and are continuing to do during my journey.
      Jarrod W. – Jul 18, 2020
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      At 57 years old, my BMI was on the low side for one to consider bariatric surgery, but I had Diabetes 2, sleep apnea, hypertension, hypercholesteremia, fatty liver and joint damage. Two family members had been lost due to obesity related medical incidents before age 50. Habits acquired from using food for “head hunger” vs. physical hunger/nutrition made basic restrictive dieting unsuccessful. I realized that if I wanted to live long enough to continue to enjoy our expanding family (two children, one recently married), I needed to have weight loss surgery. Dr. Fitzer concurred, and I was scheduled for gastric bypass 5/11/20. I had done research and knew Dr. Fitzer’s reputation was excellent. The bonus was that his office staff was also top notch; I felt cared for (and still do!) by people who knew their jobs well. I’ve lost 37 lbs. in 8 weeks; the gastric bypass “tool” the only way I could do so. I am in remission from diabetes and sleeping better! Blessed 2B getting healthy!
      Cindy Welgoss – Jul 14, 2020
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      Dr. Fitzer performed my gastric sleeve surgery in October 2019. During my first consultation, he took the time to answer all my questions, give me pros and cons for both the sleeve and bypass, and he discussed with me my options and outcomes for both. While he said he would recommend bypass over the sleeve for me, when I explained that I was more comfortable with the sleeve, he did not push and let me make the decision. While his bedside manner can be a bit abrupt at times, his skill as a surgeon more than makes up for that. His staff is very professional. Sometimes they give you hard truths, but they, like Dr. Fitzer, want you to succeed. They have been very responsive to me when I had questions. I would 100% recommend Dr. Fitzer and his office for anyone considering bariatric surgery.
      Feb 04, 2020
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      Dr. Fitzer did my surgery in August 2018. Surgery went well and I had absolutely 0 complications. However, I had issues with him doing his rounds while I was in the hospital, he was hard to track down to get released. Post op care is a joke. Don’t bother with the nutritionist. This office just wanted to push me through surgery, they do not care about my long term success. If you go with this office, have a good support system in place. The office is not helpful post op.
      Mar 30, 2019
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      Dr. Fitzer is amazing. Competent, educated and just an all around good guy. I just had gastric sleeve surgery 2 weeks ago. I haven’t regretted it yet. The only pain I experienced was from bloating from the CO2 during surgery and a little incision pain but that’s to be expected. Nothing I couldn’t handle. No pain meds needed, not even Tylenol, after I left the hospital. Excellent doctor and staff. He’s also super cute, so that helps. lol. ;) Don’t wait another day! Call him. He can save your life
      Jennifer R in Fredericksburg – Dec 27, 2018
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      Just has gastric sleeve 2 weeks ago. I have no regrets. I just adore this doctor. He’s competent, educated and really knows his “stuff.” Not once have I doubted anything he’s said throughout this process. He’s confident, no nonsense and straight to the point. I love that. Too many doctors spew a lot of fluff.
      Jennifer R in Fredericksburg, VA – Dec 27, 2018
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      Remarkable and very proficient surgeon. My gastric bypass surgery was, literally, a painless experience. At hospital, I was splendidly looked after by a very caring, committed, and dedicated care unit staff. Same praise goes to Dr. MF’s team. Like all of his patients, I was discharged with no pain medication. I didn’t need it. I haven’t taken a Tylenol since I left the hospital. I wished Dr. Fitzer had paid me a post-op visit, but he is a busy professional & in high demand. I’m very grateful.
      SG in Arlington, VA – Dec 22, 2018
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      My son Andrew had surgery Tuesday 10/9/18 with Dr Fitzer. Only to find out that Dr Fitzer sends his patients home within 48 hr after major abdominal surgery with no pain medication. I am RN for 27 plus years and in all my career I have never seen a patient treated this way! My son nor my family are drug people but this flat out medical neglect. Unless you are into torture my family would not recommend this Dr to anyone. I cant leave more detail of situation due limitation of space allowed.
      • Long wait times
      • Appointment was rushed
      • Didn't listen or answer questions
      • Didn't explain conditions well
      • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
      Oct 12, 2018
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      Dr. Matthew Fitzer is a highly skilled Bariatric surgeon. Dr. Fitzer has a very professional manner that conveys confidence and competency; he listens well, and communicates in a straightforward manner. He is very experienced, having completed many years of bariatric surgery and has excellent credentials. I highly recommend him as a bariatric surgeon.
      • Long wait times
      DM – May 11, 2018
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      Based upon reviews from this site and others I scheduled an appointment to see Dr Fitzer. I must say I was extremely disappointed in the experience. 1) Upper GI completed 1/4 2) concerns with the test as communicated by the radiologist 3) didn’t see Dr Fitzer until 2/15 4) when I finally saw him he needed another week to think about how to best approach my situation 5) continuously looking at the clock as he spoke 6) I left the office with no more information or direction than when I arrived
      Feb 17, 2018
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      I had bariatric surgery (gastric bypass R-N-Y) in June 2013. I lost over 200 lb in the first year. I feel wonderful! I am 67 yrs old and feel younger and better than I have in many years. Dr. Fitzer is the best surgeon in the world and I am so thankful I found him.
      Mary Pope in Spotsylvania, VA – Jan 12, 2017
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?
      I would recommend Dr. Fitzer to anyone! He performed gastric bypass surgery on myself and my son in January 2016. My son as lost 130 pounds and I have lost 101 pounds. His office staff is excellent and very sensitive to our needs. I went from 11 prescriptions meds to one (eye drops). I haven't felt this good in fifty years!
      Michael Giles in Floyd, VA – Dec 26, 2016
      ×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Matthew Fitzer, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Fitzer?

Dr. Fitzer accepts

Dr. Fitzer accepts the following insurance:

Balanced-VA PPO
      Blue Preferred PPO
      CareFirst Maryland POS
      HealthyBlue 2.0
      HealthyBlue Advantage

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check Dr. Fitzer's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Fitzer's Top Procedures and Conditions

Gastric Bypass Surgery, Laparoscopic
      high

Dr. Fitzer performs Gastric Bypass Surgery, Laparoscopic more than 85% of his peers

Dr. Fitzer performs this procedure more than 85% of his peers

Obesity

Dr. Fitzer treats Obesity more than 81% of his peers

Dr. Fitzer treats this condition more than 81% of his peers

Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure

Dr. Fitzer performs Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure more than 72% of his peers

Dr. Fitzer performs this procedure more than 72% of his peers

Dr. Fitzer's conditions and procedures:

• Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
      • Esophageal Surgery
      • Gastric Bypass Surgery, Laparoscopic
      • Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
      • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
      • Sleeve Gastrectomy
      • Stomach Surgery

Dr. Fitzer believes that delivering highest-quality outcomes requires a full-time commitment by the surgeon and his care team to obesity surgery. He and his team at Virginia Bariatric Surgery Center are full-time weight-loss surgery providers.

• Bariatric Surgery